Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: sharknado slashfic)

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

that plane looks like a dog sniffing around a room where a treat was hidden

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pancake rabbit
Feb 21, 2011

https://twitter.com/Faytuks/status/1624870910330122245

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
That AWACS is circling over my friends house in Petoskey and I've been texting him all day to go outside and look for UFOs and he won't!!

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

What's next

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
dont you only decomission your own stuff

SEX HAVER 40000
Aug 6, 2009

no doves fly here lol
hows ufos looking right now? i have been out of the loop recently

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

mastershakeman posted:

That AWACS is circling over my friends house in Petoskey and I've been texting him all day to go outside and look for UFOs and he won't!!

Your friend is incurious as hell

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

F-22, bright red cartoon ballon graphically popping, The Decommissioner in loopy flowing script

Space Jam
Jul 22, 2008

i feel another NOTAM coming on

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

The Saucer Hovers posted:

F-22, bright red cartoon ballon graphically popping, The Decommissioner in loopy flowing script

I think it was F-16s in this case, there were reports of several F-16s launching from the airbase near Madison, Wi.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
https://twitter.com/RepJackBergman/status/1624868047780515841

They just love using weird language

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

rep jack meoffman

Bob Ross Nuke Test
Jul 12, 2016

by Games Forum

SKULL.GIF posted:

• The past few years have seen the government becoming more and more open about that they're regularly sighting drones/balloons/UFOsUAPs. This is somewhat agreed to be the USA preparing for escalation with China, but as this thread has been detailing, this also coincides with a bunch of inexplicable-by-mundaneness reports that have been largely swept under the rug and brushed off as crackpot theories.
  • Last week, China lost control of a (CHOOSE YOUR OWN ADVENTURE): weather balloon/spying satellite. It floated over the USA and Biden was upset that the military didn't shoot it down the moment they saw it. They couldn't shoot it down because it could've killed someone on the ground (it was very large and heavy). The moment it went over water the military sank it and then Biden gave the military a chewing out.
  • The media went nuts covering the China Spy Balloon and the Republicans used it to attack Biden relentlessly for not shooting it down.
  • The military / Air Force decided to start paying attention to all the poo poo they saw on the radar instead of filtering out what they presumed was noise/trash.
  • This weekend, the military spotted a "cylindrical object" off Alaska and scrambled F-22s to shoot it down. Government mouthpieces consistently used odd language referring to the "object", raising suspicions.
  • Later the same day, another "cylindrical object" was spotted above Canada. NORAD sent more F-22s to shoot it down.
  • Late last night a "radar anomaly" was detected above Montana. Jets scrambled to look at it reported that they couldn't find anything. Media tried to tell us the anomaly was a false alarm, but multiple members of Congress indicated otherwise.
  • This morning, another "flying object" was detected off the coast of China. China shot it down. (Here I should note that while China objected to the USA shooting down the original weather balloon, they haven't said anything about the Alaska or Canada objects we shot down.)
  • This morning, another "radar anomaly" was detected above Lake Michigan. Multiple jets, including a refueling tanker and an AWACS (large-range mobile radar plane) were scrambled to go intercept it. They couldn't find it.
  • Soon after, possibly the same "anomaly" was detected above Lake Huron on the USA/Canada border.

Cheers. So 50/50 the USA/Canadian government has decided to crack down on alien incursions / crack down on spy drone incursions, and either way could be a spicy time in the near future?

Nothing says "fun coming" like a spike in events like this within 48 hours.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
i believe every ufo sighting unless its being done by the morons in the us military

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I want the military to stop shooting extraterrestrials

is there someone I can email

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

Al! posted:

i believe every ufo sighting unless its being done by the morons in the us military

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

euphronius posted:

I want the military to stop shooting extraterrestrials

is there someone I can email

yeah email your secretary of state to make sure you're on the rosters to VOTE

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

Bob Ross Nuke Test posted:

Cheers. So 50/50 the USA/Canadian government has decided to crack down on alien incursions / crack down on spy drone incursions, and either way could be a spicy time in the near future?

Nothing says "fun coming" like a spike in events like this within 48 hours.

The gop made the balloon a political issue so now Biden feels like he has to shoot down every trash bag that blows by or he won't get re-elected. Meanwhile as someone said upthread the military turned off the filters that screen out the trash bags so now all these little spy balloon things are popping up that were ignored before.

Or aliens, which would be preferable.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

whats the best xcom? i feel like i should practice

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

I just want to know if the war is on so I can start smoking again without guilt

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

sharknado slashfic posted:

I just want to know if the war is on so I can start smoking again without guilt

the only guilt comes from within

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe
19 And I will shew wonders in heaven above, and signs in the earth beneath; blood, and fire, and vapour of smoke:

20 The sun shall be turned into darkness, and the moon into blood, before that great and notable day of the Lord come:

The Ohio death cloud might count as smoke. Let's get some blood moon going!

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Failson posted:

19 And I will shew wonders in heaven above, and signs in the earth beneath; blood, and fire, and vapour of smoke:

20 The sun shall be turned into darkness, and the moon into blood, before that great and notable day of the Lord come:

The Ohio death cloud might count as smoke. Let's get some blood moon going!

Lets dooooo thisssssss

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

PokeJoe posted:

whats the best xcom? i feel like i should practice

Xcom 2 with war of the chosen.

real life xcom is incredily silly.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
Note that the Ohio death cloud caused some red moon effects for some observers

E: this seems too specific and not a good indicator you'd need a real big Ohio type event to qualify imo

SniperWoreConverse has issued a correction as of 21:59 on Feb 12, 2023

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

we have compromised the balloon to a permanent end

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

SKULL.GIF posted:

• The past few years have seen the government becoming more and more open about that they're regularly sighting drones/balloons/UFOsUAPs. This is somewhat agreed to be the USA preparing for escalation with China, but as this thread has been detailing, this also coincides with a bunch of inexplicable-by-mundaneness reports that have been largely swept under the rug and brushed off as crackpot theories.
  • Last week, China lost control of a (CHOOSE YOUR OWN ADVENTURE): weather balloon/spying satellite. It floated over the USA and Biden was upset that the military didn't shoot it down the moment they saw it. They couldn't shoot it down because it could've killed someone on the ground (it was very large and heavy). The moment it went over water the military sank it and then Biden gave the military a chewing out.
  • The media went nuts covering the China Spy Balloon and the Republicans used it to attack Biden relentlessly for not shooting it down.
  • The military / Air Force decided to start paying attention to all the poo poo they saw on the radar instead of filtering out what they presumed was noise/trash.
  • This weekend, the military spotted a "cylindrical object" off Alaska and scrambled F-22s to shoot it down. Government mouthpieces consistently used odd language referring to the "object", raising suspicions.
  • Later the same day, another "cylindrical object" was spotted above Canada. NORAD sent more F-22s to shoot it down.
  • Late last night a "radar anomaly" was detected above Montana. Jets scrambled to look at it reported that they couldn't find anything. Media tried to tell us the anomaly was a false alarm, but multiple members of Congress indicated otherwise.
  • This morning, another "flying object" was detected off the coast of China. China shot it down. (Here I should note that while China objected to the USA shooting down the original weather balloon, they haven't said anything about the Alaska or Canada objects we shot down.)
  • This morning, another "radar anomaly" was detected above Lake Michigan. Multiple jets, including a refueling tanker and an AWACS (large-range mobile radar plane) were scrambled to go intercept it. They couldn't find it.
  • Soon after, possibly the same "anomaly" was detected above Lake Huron on the USA/Canada border.

This is my take on it all too. Ignoring the flying-off-the-handle response of shooting down everything they see (assuming that's the case, and they're not able to like cherrypick these 4 anomolies from a sea of hundreds), if the government were serious about this or there actually is a massive spy balloon infiltration, this sort of job seems suited for like Civil Air Patrol using a bunch of piper cubs or equivalent that can reach the appropriate flight ceiling rather than having F22s waste an AIM-9X for every trash bag that goes aloft.

But holy hell if they were gonna knowingly just start doing this they could have publicly stated so first, like "hey everyone FYI we are turning off the garbage filters on the radar so there might be a bunch of alerts from now on" especially after all the balloon hype started last week.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
is there anything in Revelations about balloons?

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

SKULL.GIF posted:

This is uhh, a pretty big area to shut down.

:rip: Detroit to Minneapolis-St Paul

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
Currently a 2 on the rust belt scale of apocalypsis

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
i like how the kc-135 and e-3 are the most tracked planes in the world on flightradar. 30k people just looking at their paths and thinking real hard

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe

SniperWoreConverse posted:

Note that the Ohio death cloud caused some red moon effects for some observers

E: this seems too specific and not a good indicator you'd need a real big Ohio type event to qualify imo

Armageddon, localized to Ohio.

1 And the fifth angel sounded, and I saw a star fall from heaven unto the earth: and to him was given the key of the bottomless pit.

2 And he opened the bottomless pit; and there arose a smoke out of the pit, as the smoke of a great furnace; and the sun and the air were darkened by reason of the smoke of the pit.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

mastershakeman posted:

i like how the kc-135 and e-3 are the most tracked planes in the world on flightradar. 30k people just looking at their paths and thinking real hard

I'm overinterpreting the dot (on the flight path map)

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

WEH posted:

not really, all ive got are a pair of hand-me-down bushnells and no name astronomy binocs from my MIL lol

I inherited a pair of old skool Sears Roebucks @ 7x50 from my Grandfather. Optics are surprisingly good but the prisms could do for a realignment on this pair--these list for little to nothing on eBay so I can recommend them unless you need something more portable

I need to get a good pair of astronomy binocs

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

SKULL.GIF posted:

i know im not quite bird thread material but I think the simplest explanation is the us was embarrassed by the balloon so if shot down some known but tolerated chinese spy crafts and now china is doing the same in retaliation. so, escalating toward ww3. not aliens but still notable!

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Centrist Committee posted:

i know im not quite bird thread material but I think the simplest explanation is the us was embarrassed by the balloon so if shot down some known but tolerated chinese spy crafts and now china is doing the same in retaliation. so, escalating toward ww3. not aliens but still notable!

yeah p much

we are all rooting for aliens though! sometimes the underdog story wins!

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

I never trusted the Bruce Peninsula

Honky Mao
Dec 26, 2012

Yeah China is definitely known for provoking other countries into war, I guess if you're all in on yellow scare that makes sense

goochtit
Nov 2, 2021

pancake rabbit posted:

literally laughed out loud at this loving flight path

https://twitter.com/jamiedupree/status/1624868795742314498

We got any ornithomancers in here?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goochtit
Nov 2, 2021

OCTAGON
https://twitter.com/Faytuks/status/1624880235064721409