Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

This is definitely not a lie

I really like this panel from the double-spread:

I know Oda's modern art (though I guess it's been like this for a long time now) gets a lot of flak for being much, much too busy, I think rightfully so, but I love this scene. With how many characters One Piece often has running around, these large group panels are one of the best ways Oda gives some characterization to just a whole bunch of characters all at once, and often all without saying a lot.

Usopp is obviously still nervous and has his eyes glued on Shaka's security cams. Sanji and Brook (and Zoro) are fawning/necks-craning over (the very tall) York. Luffy and Atlas are acknowledging each other from across the panel, which is really sweet. Nami is stomping on Lucci as Robin tries to calm her down, which is a fun bit. Franky looks at Lucci/Kaku like you look at your cat bringing in a dead bird. Jinbe is, there.

Like you can hear this panel. It's such fun to look at. As I've been reading more manga, I've consciously tried to slow down and really take in the art and how much effort goes into things like detailing and composition. And panels like these make it super rewarding.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
wonder what usopp is worried about

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

What isn't he worried about

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

anime was right posted:

wonder what usopp is worried about

The Navy, hidden saboteurs, where Stella Vegapunk went, getting owned in general.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
I can't believe how many people of poor character we have here. Vivi already officially joined the crew long ago. The only question is whether she joined before or after Chopper.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

RuBisCO posted:

I really like this panel from the double-spread:

I feel like York and Sanji are going to get along fairly well.

Though on the next page he's understandably smitten by Small Stussy:

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

oh i didn't realize york was that big

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Waffleman_ posted:

Yeah that was a surprise

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

oddium posted:

it's stussy

vivi makes the most sense but this is why i asked i guess

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
I wonder when we'll meet Stussy's brothers Big Dog and Big Johnson. Bet their last name is going to turn out to be Hypercolor.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

bengraven posted:

Best girl is back, I nearly loving cheered.

drat, high praise for Wapol.

Flair
Apr 5, 2016
Oda has decided to criticize the news. Also, I believe that Kaku and Lucci are secretly awake and fake sleeping

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Lucci and Kaku are going to end up being dragged into being unwilling allies by the end of this arc

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Waffleman_ posted:

She needs to eat for the other clones, big storage capacity

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Pureauthor posted:

Lucci and Kaku are going to end up being dragged into being unwilling allies by the end of this arc

Luffy: Back off, light guy, you can't kill pigeon guy, he's gonna join my crew!
Lucci: Like hell I am!!!

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

Infinitum posted:

Seeing how there are new manga readers ITT atm

Spoilers: Very cool fan animatic of one of the fight scenes from the current arc

This is rad as hell and I'm going to be so disappointed when Toei inevitably doesn't use those kinds of sound effects.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Gyges posted:

I can't believe how many people of poor character we have here. Vivi already officially joined the crew long ago. The only question is whether she joined before or after Chopper.

I think the moment she "joined" was when she decided to prioritize Nami's recovery/health over getting back to her kingdom as soon as possible, so in that sense she joined before Chopper but was also instrumental in getting Chopper to join!

MisterDuck
Feb 27, 2013
loling at the gun that somehow ate a dog fruit in 184. I also like that when Ussop is just as confused as I am he is just told to shut up by the mole woman. Enjoying this a lot so far!

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Pureauthor posted:

Honestly, this was my thought the second they showed up this arc. They weren't going to be the main villains, and I didn't think they'd be treated like disposable chumps either. The only reason to bring them back is if they're eventually going to be reluctant allies. And it's gonna be awesome!

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

zoro use kaku as a giraffe sword

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021
I fail to see a scenario would Luffy would even humor the idea of being allies with Lucci, especially given Lucci's vow to chase Robin to the ends of the Earth so he can kill her. That's the kind of poo poo that Luffy never forgets. I'm not even sure who would/could convince him it'd be a necessary move to make, a la Ivankov with Crocodile back in Impel Down.

I'm not against the idea (mainly cause Lucci would be given the front row seat to Strawhat Hijinx and that's always hilarious), but i'm gonna need Oda to write a REALLY good reason to justify it.

Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

lucci is in a strange situation as a character because hes clearly unrepentantly evil and uses his position to be a licensed killed, but near the end of wano when we saw him he was talking in a way that showed he was understanding of the realpolitik involved in the situation and didnt personally approve of it or the government broadly, so he really could end up going in any kind of direction

I got the tude now
Jul 22, 2007
something tells me lucci's getting cut loose after this one. it's really starting to feel like endgame.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Paper Lion posted:

lucci is in a strange situation as a character because hes clearly unrepentantly evil and uses his position to be a licensed killed, but near the end of wano when we saw him he was talking in a way that showed he was understanding of the realpolitik involved in the situation and didnt personally approve of it or the government broadly, so he really could end up going in any kind of direction

Lucci supports the government because it lets him get paid for killing people, which he likes. That doesn't mean he necessarily likes the orders/systems that empower him, just the results of that. If the government provided sufficient impetus to his personal desires/interests, he probably would leave simply because he's got no loyalty to the system itself it just lets him do the things he wants and likes to do.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.
Ah, so what you're saying is, Lucci is a cop.

Wellwinds
Mar 20, 2010
I feel like Lucci is probably going to try and kill the elder star guy before the arc is over in order to control the seraphim, whether thats due to disagreements in how to use them or because they get aimed at him

Whether that ends up with him as an ally or just own his own team is up in the air

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

MisterDuck posted:

loling at the gun that somehow ate a dog fruit in 184. I also like that when Ussop is just as confused as I am he is just told to shut up by the mole woman. Enjoying this a lot so far!

In one of the anime filler episodes they introduced a bazooka that are the alpaca fruit. His name is Alpacaccino, and it's fantastic.

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

IT'S LIKE I CAN TOUCH YOU!

Gyges posted:

In one of the anime filler episodes they introduced a bazooka that are the alpaca fruit. His name is Alpacaccino, and it's fantastic.

This is the same filler arc where Luffy swallows a woman with a size-changing fruit and she grows huge inside him, which she says at some point she usually does to loving kill people but since Luffy is rubber he just stretches out to giant size.

Anime filler arcs are either forgettably boring or weird as hell

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Also her fruit previously appeared in the show, also used by a giant. So that dude dead.

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

IT'S LIKE I CAN TOUCH YOU!

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

Also her fruit previously appeared in the show, also used by a giant. So that dude dead.

Nah that guy was a video game exclusive character which is a whole other layer of non-canon

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
Can't believe after so many years I caught with One Piece. Time to be on this ride with everybody else.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

Wellwinds posted:

I feel like Lucci is probably going to try and kill the elder star guy before the arc is over in order to control the seraphim, whether thats due to disagreements in how to use them or because they get aimed at him

Whether that ends up with him as an ally or just own his own team is up in the air

It's been over 20 years since the Elder Stars were introduced and now, finally, one is potentially going to be in punching distance of Luffy. loving wild.

Do they have moves? I mean they all have scars and poo poo despite being World Nobles, who the hell they all brawl with? Maybe being one of the 5ES has some combat qualifications, or does this tie into how they haven't aged since the O'hara Flashback and they're actually a bunch of Highlander assholes?

Getting hyped here.

Super Rad
Feb 15, 2003
Sir Loin of Beef
Kinda interesting how there's a prevailing theory that they all had the immortality operation but Borsalino made sure his food was checked for poison - either it's a case of immortality != invincibility or the theory is wrong.

Violen
Jul 25, 2009

ohoho~
they dock

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Super Rad posted:

Kinda interesting how there's a prevailing theory that they all had the immortality operation but Borsalino made sure his food was checked for poison - either it's a case of immortality != invincibility or the theory is wrong.

Or people dont know they're immortal??

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Super Rad posted:

I never saw anything that would make me think that it was any sort of invulnerability. The whole thing was presented as an operation via devil fruit that gives you low level functional immortality. The only external force that was debatable as to whether it'd mess your whole world up was sickness via viral or bacterial infection.

bengraven
Sep 17, 2009

by VideoGames

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

drat, high praise for Wapol.

I was talking about Mansherry. She’s in second best girl Vivi’s back pocket so you can’t see her.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Super Rad posted:

Not sure immorality would stop you from making GBS threads your pants from poison, Magellan already established that's the prime side effect of poison in the One Piece world.

Super Rad
Feb 15, 2003
Sir Loin of Beef

socialsecurity posted:

Not sure immorality would stop you from making GBS threads your pants from poison, Magellan already established that's the prime side effect of poison in the One Piece world.

Other possibilities may have been floated but this one rings the most true. Gotta learn to think like Oda.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

"No break next week."