Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Private Cumshoe
Feb 15, 2019

AAAAAAAGAGHAAHGGAH
Little St. James?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

no meds = f4

tokin opposition posted:

I'm going to send you to a world where the average height is 4'

mexico?

Futanari Damacy
Oct 30, 2021

by sebmojo
Every morning, stand outside of Home Depot
5 foot 1 I'm the tallest of my people

fr0id
Jul 27, 2016

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
it’s very disappointing to learn that about finklestein. I hope that he is someday able to come around on this belief. I hope there are people who have his ear who can discuss this with him or that he can seek out his own discussions. If he doesn’t, this open bigotry will affect my future estimation of him, and unfortunately mar his legacy.

edit: solidarity to the trans people his bigotry is directed against, and to whom this must be deeply painful. fuckin sucks.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

fr0id posted:

solidarity to the trans people his bigotry is directed against . . . fuckin sucks.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

tokin opposition posted:

The "stupid opinion" is that I am a man in a dress and I will not be nice to an old gently caress who can't call a woman "she" because he doesn't wanna.

Why are you so focused on "everyone does it" in this case? Do you think there aren't Olds (and I'd argue well over 5%) who are or love a trans person enough to not care about ~biological reality~

I'm sorry your fave is cancelled I guess

The point isn't "it's okay that they're like that" or even "you shouldn't hate this person for having beliefs that are horribly insulting/demeaning towards you" (because that's a very good reason to personally hate someone). I don't really give a poo poo about Finklestein; I tried listening to the TrueAnon episode with him and it just felt like listening to my late Jewish grandma.

The problem is when people start acting like the way someone curates their "portfolio" of opinions on people/media actually matters. Just a bunch of people curating their individual opinion portfolios and leaving angry Yelp reviews of other peoples'. A constant focus on the morality of individuals. It's basically the same thing liberals do, only with a less directly partisan angle to it.

Also, people aren't even remotely consistent about this stuff. Most Democrats (though likely by a pretty small margin) would probably voice some sort of general support for trans rights. But if some trans person was rude to them (or they saw them saying an opinion they thought was dumb), they'd instantly start being extremely bigoted. They don't really have these things mapped out in their minds like most of us do and just sort of react to any given situation.

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp
that's why they're called reactionaires

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)

Ytlaya posted:

The point isn't "it's okay that they're like that" or even "you shouldn't hate this person for having beliefs that are horribly insulting/demeaning towards you" (because that's a very good reason to personally hate someone). I don't really give a poo poo about Finklestein; I tried listening to the TrueAnon episode with him and it just felt like listening to my late Jewish grandma.

The problem is when people start acting like the way someone curates their "portfolio" of opinions on people/media actually matters. Just a bunch of people curating their individual opinion portfolios and leaving angry Yelp reviews of other peoples'. A constant focus on the morality of individuals. It's basically the same thing liberals do, only with a less directly partisan angle to it.

Also, people aren't even remotely consistent about this stuff. Most Democrats (though likely by a pretty small margin) would probably voice some sort of general support for trans rights. But if some trans person was rude to them (or they saw them saying an opinion they thought was dumb), they'd instantly start being extremely bigoted. They don't really have these things mapped out in their minds like most of us do and just sort of react to any given situation.

This is a good post and I think I understand where you are coming from now, apologies for jumping the gun a bit.

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Private Cumshoe posted:

Little St. James?

Chewbaccanator
Apr 7, 2010

Ytlaya posted:

:emptyquote:

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/PostLeftWatch/status/1624154085707628544

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
why is this even controversial

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

Xaris posted:

why is this even controversial
because Seymour Hersh, in the last decade, claimed that Bin Laden didn't do 9/11, that Assad didn't use chemical weapons on his own citizens, and that Seth Rich leaked DNC info to Wikileaks. He's gone off the rails and there's no reason to believe anything he says lately.

apparently

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Jel Shaker posted:

because Seymour Hersh, in the last decade, claimed that Bin Laden didn't do 9/11, that Assad didn't use chemical weapons on his own citizens, and that Seth Rich leaked DNC info to Wikileaks. He's gone off the rails and there's no reason to believe anything he says lately.

apparently

He's right

lumpentroll
Mar 4, 2020

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022
Probation
Can't post for 20 hours!

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Isn't this account one of the freaks that currently posts elsewhere on this site?

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
the hell osama do even? sad to see your faves cancelled over stolen valor

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Jel Shaker posted:

apparently

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
yeah i'm on the seymour hersh diet... when I SEE MORE war crimes of the US, I HERSH it!

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

https://mobile.twitter.com/PostLeftWatch/status/1624155487959937025

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

Mr Hootington posted:

He did. Glenn greenwald and Aaron maté tore him apart in defense of Hersh.

Where was this? Link pls

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009

Dreylad posted:

no surprise as I'm pretty sure brown moses went hard against the article hersh wrote on syria and the white hats

still does right one these boards

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

crepeface posted:

Where was this? Link pls

Thread starts here
https://twitter.com/ggreenwald/status/1624133292847947778?t=qqiJEtATo5u2NmxvLrX6-g&s=19
I can't read brown moses due to him being a bitch but I'm sure he is a whining genocidal freak.
Here is maté
https://twitter.com/aaronjmate/status/1624125936437235719?t=56ifrcfKye45qCPGq6RZEA&s=19
Here is a thread of Glenn making a point about boot licker journos like brown moses
https://twitter.com/ggreenwald/status/1624106848029757440?t=KEzD4FwGoqxLgYoDNsoOwA&s=19
clip of his show talking about what we know.
https://twitter.com/KanekoaTheGreat/status/1624230736177041409?t=0syGSJpOTBMsvpEjPEd9kw&s=19
The Hersh stuff is in his wheelhouse of being right so it is all pretty good.

Edit: whoops realized that might be against rules.

Mr Hootington has issued a correction as of 17:48 on Feb 13, 2023

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord
Somewhat Discredited

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
RWN interview was pretty disappointing. I don't think it was RWN's fault, though; Hersh seems like he doesn't want to talk about his recent story at all.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

I like Finklestein and Hersh for some of the views, but not others. Mostly I think it's ridiculous-to-comical to evaluate people in moral terms, rather than the intellectual merit of their work. I'm not reading them because I think they are good people or agree with me on all, unrelated, issues but because of their contributions in a given field.

I expect class first leftists to be good on class, not social issues, and well, Finklestein is.

idk, I wish this wasn't such a fractious issue.

Frosted Flake has issued a correction as of 17:06 on Feb 13, 2023

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

PostNouveau posted:

RWN interview was pretty disappointing. I don't think it was RWN's fault, though; Hersh seems like he doesn't want to talk about his recent story at all.

ames wrangled some details out of hersh but was clearly very intimidated (to be fair hersh was being rather belligerent) and so the interview was rather poorly structured.

the instinct from some quarters of the that this is obvious nonsense and should be immediately dismissed is not great and smells of an excessively institutionalist press corps. one would hope that, at least, there would be an agreement that there should be some kind of serious inquiry into the bombing open to the public, and this is as good a place to start as any.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

it is very funny that that twitter account apparently thinks that "the CIA does bad things" is a right-wing position, though

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

i say swears online has issued a correction as of 19:46 on Feb 13, 2023

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

V. Illych L. posted:

it is very funny that that twitter account apparently thinks that "the CIA does bad things" is a right-wing position, though

CIA has been the good guys for a good 6 plus years, get with the times

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

V. Illych L. posted:

CIA is woke now. they love and only hire intersectionality marginalized BIPOC LGTBQIA2W+ people. get with the times gramp

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Xaris posted:

CIA is woke now. they love and only hire intersectionality marginalized BIPOC LGTBQIA2W+ people. get with the times gramp

This, but every institution within capital

Popy
Feb 19, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aJCq-kHYVqk

Dalmuti
Apr 8, 2007
I'm a wild rear end bitch and I do what the gently caress I want all the time at the cia

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

Dalmuti posted:

I'm a wild rear end bitch and I do what the gently caress I want all the time at the cia

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

no true anon episode again -_-

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

AnimeIsTrash posted:

no true anon episode again -_-
good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry
i'm using the downtime to catch up on Stavvy's World. it's not as good as stavvy solves your problems imo but it's funny still