Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

That’s why Piccolo is coolest, he’s still a villain in all fighting demeanor and tactics like wishing, still the Demon King, but he’s so corrupted into good by now he babysits-trains and helps raise his large adult son

Everything about Piccolo’s decades-long arc from start to end is insanely cool

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Black August posted:

That’s why Piccolo is coolest, he’s still a villain in all fighting demeanor and tactics like wishing, still the Demon King, but he’s so corrupted into good by now he babysits-trains and helps raise his large adult son

Everything about Piccolo’s decades-long arc from start to end is insanely cool

It's funny how this all started off thanks to Piccolo focusing his training too much on developing a move that he does in fact successfully kill Goku with

Also why do I have this feeling Gohan at some point read up on Stockholm Syndrome and had himself a "Dark Night of The Soul" for a bit on whether his affections for Piccolo are legitimate or just the result of all the trauma he went through during the Saiyan Saga

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

drrockso20 posted:

It's funny how this all started off thanks to Piccolo focusing his training too much on developing a move that he does in fact successfully kill Goku with

Also why do I have this feeling Gohan at some point read up on Stockholm Syndrome and had himself a "Dark Night of The Soul" for a bit on whether his affections for Piccolo are legitimate or just the result of all the trauma he went through during the Saiyan Saga

Piccolo Daimyou just imprinted “train to kill Goku” in the egg and nothing else. So after he killed Goku it became “train”.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
It’s kinda of lowkey hysterical that Piccolo doesn’t really seem to care about killing Goku after doing the deed the one time, like even before the reveal that the Saiyans are coming to earth he’s just like “yeah they’re just gonna use the Dragonballs to revive him” to Raditz like he has no real interest in stopping that from going down.

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

Last Celebration posted:

It’s kinda of lowkey hysterical that Piccolo doesn’t really seem to care about killing Goku after doing the deed the one time, like even before the reveal that the Saiyans are coming to earth he’s just like “yeah they’re just gonna use the Dragonballs to revive him” to Raditz like he has no real interest in stopping that from going down.

I always saw this as basically "I killed Goku, yeah, but he was standing there and LETTING me, I didn't actually beat him. I'll have to get back to training for our actual battle when he comes back."

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Last Celebration posted:

Well, it'd be kind of a waste to stop Goku from coming back to life when he was instrumental in killing one of the three guys that was stronger than Piccolo.

Haro_Wonderful
Feb 24, 2005

In the middle of a thread Haro forgot to post!
Pork Pro
I always assumed he just wanted to know he could protect himself, Goku used to be the gold standard. Bigger threats showed up so Goku takes a back burner.
Who cares if you can kill Goku if Beerus us knocking about. Piccolo isn't a martial artist so he doesn't particularly care about being the best. Originally it was self preservation, but it grew to protecting those he cares about. In many ways he is a dark mirror if Goku. Raised in the wild, did sone karate tournaments, found friends and a family of sorts.
Only Goku was kindhearted and outgoing, and had to learn to be serious. Piccolo was guarded and cold-hearted who had to learn to open up.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
Piccolo is absolutely a martial artist and several of his interactions with Gohan in Super during the pre-ToP training arc are yelling at Gohan to get either get serious about martial arts or gently caress off and stop trying to go halfsies about it.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
I don't think Piccolo would've taken the Tenkaichi Budokai rules as seriously as he did if he didn't care about martial arts.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
It's about time Piccolo fought, and killed, Vegeta

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
Piccolo Junior's stated goal was to get revenge on Goku for killing his dad, but also to then take over the world. He fought under the rules of the tournament because it was a convenient way to "force" Goku to fight him but he still threatened to murder civilians several times and eventually blew up the entire fighting arena.

After Goku beat him, he tactically retreated to train and come back stronger, because he knew Goku was his only impediment to full on demon tyrant.

Then, a few years later, Raditz showed up and was four times stronger than either of them. Raditz explicitly said that they were going to raze the planet and sell it, which was directly contrary to Piccolo's desire to rule the world.

Piccolo was totally fine with killing Goku if he took Raditz with him and he probably would have then taken over the world, if not for Vegeta and Nappa heading to Earth. So again, Piccolo was like "Kamidammit now I need to beat up more guys who want to blow my kingdom?!"

Then he discovered that he's actually Gohan's dad and the rest is history.

feetnotes
Jan 29, 2008

Piccolo Daimao hates and fears martial artists because Master Mutaito trapped him in the denshi jar. That’s why he targets Tenkaichi Budokai contestants. He doesn’t seem to train either, his big power boost comes from wishing back his youth.

Piccolo Jr. enters the tournament purely to get to Goku, yeah. He seems to be relying on the same innate-strength style as his dad. BUT when he loses he contracts the fightman disease and that’s when he becomes a martial artist. Starts training and developing new techniques. Then finally Radditz happens and he becomes a good guy too.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
Piccolo Jr was conceived during a martial arts fight. It's in his purple and red blood

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

You know DBZA made me forget that Trunks tells Goku the name of the Androids in the future (19 and 20). I know it got changed after the fact but I wonder if the Noprize explanation is that the Trunks who cane back the second time waa different from the one who came back the first time.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

ImpAtom posted:

You know DBZA made me forget that Trunks tells Goku the name of the Androids in the future (19 and 20). I know it got changed after the fact but I wonder if the Noprize explanation is that the Trunks who cane back the second time waa different from the one who came back the first time.

there is a What-If waiting out there called The Nightmare Of Trunks' Trips that explores the gruesome fractal of all the offshoots created if you follow your kind of logic and just let it keep going until you go out far enough to discover Chrono Trigger

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Lavos could beat Perfect Cell, book it

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Shinjobi posted:

Lavos could beat Perfect Cell, book it

Lavos lost to Bulma

Caros
May 14, 2008

ImpAtom posted:

Lavos lost to Bulma

So did Cell.

Because of the time machine she invented, but it counts.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

it took the combined might of Super Saiyan God Crono, Videl, Bulma, Android 16, Super Saiyan Ayla, Magus (fusion of Piccolo and Vegeta), and Super Frog Trunks to take down Lavos

that's a near-Zamasu grade threat at least

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

Bulma gets bodied by Beerus in the sequel, Chrono Cross. And the others die offscreen to a bunch of Frieza army mooks.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Chrono Cross is a sequel to a beloved game that really dropped the ball. It has fervent defenders but most people that loved the original hate the follow-up.

Trying to think of a way to tie this into Dragonball but I'm just coming up empty.

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Chrono Cross is a sequel to a beloved game that really dropped the ball. It has fervent defenders but most people that loved the original hate the follow-up.

Trying to think of a way to tie this into Dragonball but I'm just coming up empty.

Are you saying that Cross is the GT of Chrono Trigger?

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Disclaimer: I have not played Chrono Cross, but the most charitable way I've heard it described by ardent fans is that it would be a great solo title, but making it a CT sequel was a huge disservice to both games.

It's telling that at least one review of the DS Chrono Trigger remake essentially said "despite the more accurate translation, this game is made worse by the existence of the connections to Cross"

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

Cross is a decent game, bit overrated by it's fans, but yeah the lazy ties to Trigger takes away from the experience when it comes up. Really felt rushed in execution, which is a shame since there's a lot of good in the gameplay and designs. But yeah, the way they handle Crono, Marle and the others was reeeeeally lovely.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Rudoku posted:

Are you saying that Cross is the GT of Chrono Trigger?

yes, CC is the GT of CT

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
CT is the funimation Dub ost of RPGs in that it's the one the majority of people were exposed to as children and outside of a few high points was kind of just okay at best throughout.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

CT is the funimation Dub ost of RPGs in that it's the one the majority of people were exposed to as children and outside of a few high points was kind of just okay at best throughout.

:mods:

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Some Numbers posted:

Disclaimer: I have not played Chrono Cross, but the most charitable way I've heard it described by ardent fans is that it would be a great solo title, but making it a CT sequel was a huge disservice to both games.

It's telling that at least one review of the DS Chrono Trigger remake essentially said "despite the more accurate translation, this game is made worse by the existence of the connections to Cross"

It is a legitimately great game, but yeah the connections to Chrono Trigger aren't done well(though honestly most of them can be very easily ignored) and it has some holes(mostly towards the end though) from it having a troubled and rushed development though honestly I don't think Square made a single game for the PS1 that didn't have a troubled and rushed development*(aside from the ports of their older NES & SNES games they did) and it's low key miraculous that they go their poo poo together for their handful of PS2 games(FFX and Kingdom Hearts) with relatively minimal problems before they merged with Enix

Still very worth it I'd say as it's a strong contender for best looking PS1 game(indeed I'd say it looks better than quite a few early PS2 games) and has some of the best music of any PS1 game as well, as well as some very solid gameplay and while the story is a bit messy and confusing it does have some very interesting ideas

*with Xenogears probably having it the worst

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

it was Dragon Ball Lovecraft and it was amazing you absolute bitchshow

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Cross is fine. When your franchise is built around loving with time and dimensions, the very idea that a timeline exists where your prior primary cast got ganked shouldn't be a big deal. What SHOULD be a big deal is the revolutionary, top of the line perfect system that is the text accent system. Now THAT was the future baby, donCHA agree???

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

you are the yamcha of posters and right now I’m thinking I might just be the saibaman of posters

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
I can’t believe I’m agreeing with Zen on literally anything but yeah Chrono Trigger is fine. It’s just fine. Not great and not bad. Absolutely unmemorable compared to other games of the era.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Captain Oblivious posted:

I can’t believe I’m agreeing with Zen on literally anything but yeah Chrono Trigger is fine. It’s just fine. Not great and not bad. Absolutely unmemorable compared to other games of the era.

hakai

Caros
May 14, 2008

Well goddamn, my lovely opinion scouter just blew up and took part of my face with it, so thanks for that.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
One of the big problems with CC is that it has a billion playable characters but nearly all of them could at best be charitably called one-dimensional characters. Like the cast has the breadth of the ocean but the depth of a petri dish. And, sure, it's not like the cast of CT were incredibly deep, but they were all fun and memorable enough archetypes that were all given time to shine and do things. They were characters. The bulk of CC's cast are character concepts.

That all said, CC may well be the best video game soundtrack of all time. it's loving insane.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
CC is a trainwreck of a game with a fantastic soundtrack, reasonably fun combat, and enjoyably colorful tropical scenery. The dialogue and plot are all unglued in possibly the most literal sense tho

What I’m saying is Chrono Cross is

A LAND OF CONTRASTS

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
CHA

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
LA HEAD CHA LA

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

This is wildly off topic for the thread but I have to know: What RPGs of that era do you consider more memorable than Chrono Trigger? I'm genuinely curious because I love Chrono Trigger and would love to play something of that sort that's even better. And thanks to the power of roms I can! Very easily!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
Super Saiya Densetsu