Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

Inzombiac posted:

If I want to break 80k in my field I would have to become a manager (gross) or a team lead for a specialized project (those only go to a very narrow band of people.)

I'm comfortable making ~60K because I have no kids and a pretty undemanding lifestyle but I'd love to make more so I could improve my house significantly.

Have you considered becoming an influencer or buying ads for Amazon affiliate links on SA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017
as long as i can smoke weed you an pay me/charge me whatever man

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD
Jan 21, 2007

MrQwerty posted:

Methanar purposely moved from Canada to the United States and has been shiftlessly drifting around, as a poster upthread said, like an "IT ronin," jumping from tax free state to tax free state and posting about his woes (and sending people his paystubs)

don't leave words out of my mouth. i believe i said mentally ill IT ronin

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

emmasmith or whatever is the even lamer version of wizard master because they can't resist poking the thread if the bait isn't taken immediately and then gets probed.

Then in comes methanar to take over lol

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

mysterious frankie posted:

What’s their story? The bits people have mentioned in this thread sound interesting and… amphetamine-adjacent, perhaps.

I grew up poor
Bent over backwards killing myself with work to be less poor
I was being cyberbullied a lot + being lonely living alone wfh at a very stressful job in the middle of nowhere rural canada
Felt trapped living with an underwater house I bought because my mom pressured me to when I had just turned 20
Found Christ
Sacrificed everything to pursue the american dream

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Methanar posted:

I grew up poor
I was being cyberbullied a lot + being lonely living alone wfh at a very stressful job in the middle of nowhere rural canada
Felt trapped living with an underwater house I bought because my mom pressured me to when I had just turned 20
Found Christ

I feel like I should probe this on general principle.

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD
Jan 21, 2007

Methanar posted:

I grew up poor
Found Christ

wanna keep this post in a jar 4 later

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

CaptainSarcastic posted:

I feel like I should probe this on general principle.

martyr me.

I bought this house for $340k. It's worth maybe 280k now after the past 7 years of housing market collapse since 2016 when it was first purchased. Then go ahead and correct that yourself for the 30% inflation or whatever since. Not to mention the opportunity cost of not putting all of that down payment and mortgage since into the stock market instead during the biggest bull market in history.

When I left the country I left the house in the hands and name of my dad as to not own foreign property while a US tax resident. My equity continues to rot since my dad neglected it and ignored me for 6 months in early 2022 of telling him to lock the mortgage rate.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Methanar fucked around with this message at 07:01 on Feb 14, 2023

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

Amazing

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Good lord. Okay, that's enough of that for a while.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Methanar success is being silenced like trump

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Methanar found Calvinism and drove to America

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

Methanar found Calvinism and drove to America

I'm picturing an exquisitely terrible movie based off this.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Lol I can imagine JD Vance directing it

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD
Jan 21, 2007

My entire life, and i do mean that in its entirety, is tied to what people above me pay me, ama

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

Lol I can imagine JD Vance directing it

:rubby:

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD
Jan 21, 2007

Hillbilly eulogy

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.
This OP feels like a horrible pickup line from a PU artist to indirectly brag about their wage.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

I lost 40% in a house so I decided to go where houses are appreciating assets and always make money. :911:

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Price of admission to the premiere: one (1) paystub

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Sup girl you tryna see my balance sheet?

My COGS were 12.7% so I can get into the premier of The book of Calvinism: the elected awaken

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Methanar posted:

I grew up poor
Found Christ

Okay but you gotta get over it. I ate $30k on a condo because my mom had a mental breakdown over me renting but as soon as I realized she didn't understand how interest rates work I learned my lesson, sold and got on with my life lmao.

I dunno what the American dream entails but happiness doesn't seem to be part of the deal lol

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

If I had a stressful job I would simply get a not stressful job. When I got my accounting degree the actual working at an accounting firm poo poo seemed like a lot of effort so I didn't do that.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Methanar posted:

I was being cyberbullied a lot

Not enough.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

lol. but in all sincerity, this

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.

italian quid posted:

I dunno what the American dream entails but happiness doesn't seem to be part of the deal lol

The American Dream is always changing but currently, speaking as a straight white man, it is inventing time travel and living from approximately 1996-2000, over and over again, until nature finally reverses the grave indignity of living.

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Sorry for the derail but I fuckin love me some racoons

Toxic Mental posted:

That's what, like $8300 a month pre-tax? That's probably like 2.5x what the average person here makes. Yeah that's a salary so large I have no idea what I would do with all of that money. The median rent in the USA is like $1600 now and that's mostly due to CA and NY being extremes, the average is like $1300 or something. That'd leave you with maybe $5000 in free spending money after taxes, which is just a silly amount.

I live in a lovely Boston neighborhood and my rent is 3k per month. Groceries and restaurants here are about 2x as much as when I lived in Virginia. My utilities are about $400 a month. I'm actively losing money living here. Also good luck getting a $100k salary outside of a metro area.

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

google says boston is the 2nd most expensive US city so you are an outlier my friend

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe
lol "IT Ronin"

naem
May 29, 2011

italian quid posted:

Okay but you gotta get over it. I ate $30k on a condo because my mom had a mental breakdown over me renting but as soon as I realized she didn't understand how interest rates work I learned my lesson, sold and got on with my life lmao.

I’m looking at condos now and look forward to making the same mistake

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

naem posted:

I’m looking at condos now and look forward to making the same mistake

lol, before we realized owning anything was a pipe dream in the current economy we were looking at condos as an option and found some ones near my wife's work that were $350K, which was doable, until we started breaking it down.

$2800 in mortgage

$700 in association fees

For 30 years

Also, before that you gotta get together 100K to pay the 20% down + inspection costs.

In the end we decided to keep on keepin' on in our relatively cheap building that is apparently renting all its other units out to racehorses and collectives of colicky babies.

naem
May 29, 2011

lol, before we realized owning anything was a pipe dream in the current economy we were looking at condos as an option and found some ones near my wife's work that were $350K, which was doable, until we started breaking it down.

$2800 in mortgage

$700 in association fees

For 30 years

Also, before that you gotta get together 100K to pay the 20% down + inspection costs.

In the end we decided to keep on keepin' on in our relatively cheap building that is apparently renting all its other units out to racehorses and collectives of colicky babies.

the main economy near my current apt building seems to be stealing the rims off the cars working professionals use to commute, six cars were hit and taken to the same dealership at once next to mine

eventually you buy a condo for secure off street parking

Armitage
Aug 16, 2005

"Mathman's not here." "Oh? Where is he?" "He's in the Mathroom."

$2800 in mortgage

$700 in association fees

For 30 years

Lucky, we've got hardcore wrestlers, death metal groups, and construction workers in my building.

I'd like there to be some sort of standards for apartment buildings where noise is kept at a relative minimum, but nope, sometimes it feels like living on top of, and underneath a bowling alley.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

naem posted:

the main economy near my current apt building seems to be stealing the rims off the cars working professionals use to commute, six cars were hit and taken to the same dealership at once next to mine

You can rent in a place with underground parking. After that the key is to just have a shittier car than everyone else you park with

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER

Methanar posted:

martyr me.

I bought this house for $340k. It's worth maybe 280k now after the past 7 years of housing market collapse since 2016 when it was first purchased. Then go ahead and correct that yourself for the 30% inflation or whatever since. Not to mention the opportunity cost of not putting all of that down payment and mortgage since into the stock market instead during the biggest bull market in history.

When I left the country I left the house in the hands and name of my dad as to not own foreign property while a US tax resident. My equity continues to rot since my dad neglected it and ignored me for 6 months in early 2022 of telling him to lock the mortgage rate.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

lol

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gTj8_ZYyll0

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

When I was renting apartments I was fairly lucky.

One neighbor was some business venture wannabe. He bought a boat and parked it in the building's lot and blocked most of the one exit. He refused to move it for a week.
Our bedrooms shared a wall so my revenge was playing violent video games all hours of the night.

I shared a place with three other guys and it was pretty good, all things considered. Our neighbors (who shared a balcony with us) were four beautiful students around our age. They were super nice, considerate, single but SUPER MEGA Christian. Like, one step away from joining a convent.

The worst was probably the gross couple that loved above me that spent all day on their balcony smoking and hacking giant loogies on to my patio.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

i have lived in apartments for the last 25 years and will likely live in apartments for the rest of my life

there are really only three cities in the US where doing what i do for a living (music) has enough consistent work to make sense. in two of those, la and nyc, (ive lived in both) there is pretty much no way i will ever be a homeowner at any point in my life. and i'm ok with that, though i'd like to eventually be able to at least rent a house with a small yard so i can plant something in the earth instead of in pots.

but i'd still rather rent here for the rest of my life than go put try to put down roots in nashville, which seems like the only fairly affordable city where music is a somewhat common line of work

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
The house we're gonna be renting in China next month is like $300 a month.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

naem posted:

One of the places we used to live at before we owned a car had street parking only and within the first week every new tenant would knock on our door and be like "someone sawed off my catalytic converter, did you guys get hit?" Whoever was doing it was the closest our building came to having a welcoming committee. Here it's safer, but we still gotta pay for parking at the Brown Line station across the street, because finding street parking is a bloodsport.

Armitage posted:

Lucky, we've got hardcore wrestlers, death metal groups, and construction workers in my building.

I'd like there to be some sort of standards for apartment buildings where noise is kept at a relative minimum, but nope, sometimes it feels like living on top of, and underneath a bowling alley.

My snarky description aside, I do have to acknowledge that the reason why our building is suddenly getting louder is likely due to families moving in. These units are like two shipping containers welded together, but they're the cheapest places I've seen in low-enough-crime-areas (when we looked at renting, rather than buying, something else the lateral moves would be $500+ more a month and bigger\better apartments basically cost the same as a mortgage); it feels cramped with just me and my wife, and I can't fathom squeezing multiple kids in.

mysterious frankie fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Feb 14, 2023