Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

:woof:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fivemarks
Feb 21, 2015
So we're keeping the thread title, huh?

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
:thumbsup:

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe
Yoshida showing up rather suddenly is perfectly normal here and not at all suspicious

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
That was worth the wait. Its heartwarming she very much cares for Denji. Better start buying those ice creams Denji.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

So good to see Nyako again!

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
drat. :smith:

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Also just what a loving chapter to put out on Valentine's day.

Pelican Dunderhead
Jun 16, 2010

Ah! Hello Ershin!
Pillbug
give me ice creams

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"
Denji can't catch a break, now he has to spend even MORE time scamming homeless guys to pay for all that ice cream.

Valentin
Sep 16, 2012

very funny to me that people spent so long thinking about like "wow is it weird and messed up for denji to have to raise this child who's so reminiscent of makima, what's that like, even her hair is similar, what's nayuta gonna be like" and then the first thing she does on panel is turn someone into a dog for displeasing her in a direct echo of pretty much the worst of the many bad things that happened to denji in part 1 lol. jury's still out on "heartwarming" but it's definitely hilarious

e: rather than "denji explained everything to nayuta" or "nayuta remembers everything" to explain why nayuta knows every woman tries to kill denji, i prefer to believe that between part 1 and now denji has had like five different bomb devil-type arcs and nayuta has watched all of them go horribly wrong

Valentin fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Feb 14, 2023

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
Happy Valentine's Day everyone, be sure to spit on your property today.

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse
Yay meowy :allears:

This comic is great at throwing curveballs. I can't even pretend to predict what's going to happen next because I'll never be even kind of right

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Valentin posted:

very funny to me that people spent so long thinking about like "wow is it weird and messed up for denji to have to raise this child who's so reminiscent of makima, what's that like, even her hair is similar, what's nayuta gonna be like" and then the first thing she does on panel is turn someone into a dog for displeasing her in a direct echo of pretty much the worst of the many bad things that happened to denji in part 1 lol. jury's still out on "heartwarming" but it's definitely hilarious

e: rather than "denji explained everything to nayuta" or "nayuta remembers everything" to explain why nayuta knows every woman tries to kill denji, i prefer to believe that between part 1 and now denji has had like five different bomb devil-type arcs and nayuta has watched all of them go horribly wrong

Funny as that would be, given that Nayuta can basically effortlessly control people she can probably find out what happened fairly easily

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

yeah, at this point it seems that Denji raising Nayuta is more of a losing battle to her gaining complete control over their lives. Gonna have to eat and try again imho.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
Oh thank god, Naytua rules. That is all.

Valentin
Sep 16, 2012

honestly after seeing a lot of people thinking this is uncomplicatedly cute and fun my only question is whether "denji is doing his best to make things to go differently but it's probably not good that the control devil is dictating his life and who he hangs out with" is going to feel like a twist to people when it stops being (extremely unsubtle) subtext and just becomes actual text, in the same way that many readers ignored or did not register the obvious red flags around makima. can't wait for things with nayuta to go very, very wrong and denji to try the nayuta of the prophecy ending approach only for that to make things even worse

e: lots of references going on in these chapters: the dog leashes to match makima's part 1 chains for her servants, "thief" vs "bang", turning asa into a dog a la denji, wiping asa's memories like angel devil's. any other references to makima's greatest hits?

Valentin fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Feb 14, 2023

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Valentin posted:

honestly after seeing a lot of people thinking this is uncomplicatedly cute and fun my only question is whether "denji is doing his best to make things to go differently but it's probably not good that the control devil is dictating his life and who he hangs out with" is going to feel like a twist to people when it stops being (extremely unsubtle) subtext and just becomes actual text, in the same way that many readers ignored or did not register the obvious red flags around makima. can't wait for things with nayuta to go very, very wrong and denji to try the nayuta of the prophecy ending approach only for that to make things even worse

e: lots of references going on in these chapters: the dog leashes to match makima's part 1 chains for her servants, "thief" vs "bang", turning asa into a dog a la denji, wiping asa's memories like angel devil's. any other references to makima's greatest hits?

I think the fact that her two demands are basically Makima's core desires, sans getting chainsaw, Food & Controlling People's Social Groups

Also one of the animators in Adventure Time made a great post
https://twitter.com/ianjq/status/1625540373287415810

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
Yeah It's hard to tell if this is Denji trusting Nayuta's judgement on Asa's "scent" or if he's spoiling her. He doesn't press her with like "Why don't you want me to get close to her?" or anything like that. He's also not really being a "parent" here, he's just immediately giving in to her demands. Honestly this chapter didn't read as cute to me, it read as sad and made me feel bad for Denji - his life is still being ran by Makima, just in Nayuta form. Of course, the more charitable interpretation is that they know each other extremely well and trust each other - Denji then wouldn't be pressing her on the issue because he trusts her. It's also not a bad move as a single parent to prioritize your child over a new romantic interest, although the framing of this is less "the new romantic partner is bad for the parent/child" and more "the child doesn't want to share the parent, and the parent immediately gives in" (yes, we know Asa is bad news for Denji, but Denji himself doesn't know that. Nayuta maybe does, but hasn't elaborated on it in any meaningful way beyond "she has a bad scent")

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

I think the nature of the relationship is also leaning closer to Brother/Sister. Pochita mentions that Control Devil wanted someone to be an equal to, or something of that effect, so Denji was never going to have much, well, Control over Nayuta, but he's absolutely spoiling her even in his role as an older brother and with how she just casually changes Asa's memories after eating, Denji's lost complete control over the relationship. Gotta eat up and try again.

Well, I guess not "complete" yet. Nayuta still feels the need to have Denji agree to some extent to her bs, to bargain with him instead of just deciding to turn a girl into a dog and then eat ice cream every day, but that bargain being how we first see her sure isn't comforting to how this arc will go!

MorningMoon fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Feb 14, 2023

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
The joke here is that Nayuta is 100% right. Asa is possessed by a Horseman and the initial reason she dated Denji was so that she could murder him and turn him into a weapon. And sure, she eventually changed her mind about him (kinda, maybe) but Yoru sure as hell didn't. And Yoru has full control over Asa and was literally attempting to turn Denji into a sword the moment Nayuta controlled her into a dog. Any prolonged contact with Asa is actively dangerous to Denji, because Yoru might either eventually get the whole "convert him into a weapon" thing" right, or finally figure out Denji is Chainsaw Man and attempt to murder him. If you care about well-being and safety of Denji, keeping him as far away from Asa as possible is unambiguously the correct action.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
Yoshida is the NTR devil

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Nayuta is...correct here, though? Like, 1000% correct. Denji asks “why can’t I date her?” And she gives the incredibly accurate answer of “because she’s clearly just trying to kill you, and also I’m pretty sure she’s a devil.” And even Denji kind of agrees with the logic there.

Janissary Hop
Sep 2, 2012

Nayuta is just proto-Makima at this point which is fine since Makima did nothing wrong.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

AnoHito posted:

Nayuta is...correct here, though? Like, 1000% correct. Denji asks “why can’t I date her?” And she gives the incredibly accurate answer of “because she’s clearly just trying to kill you, and also I’m pretty sure she’s a devil.” And even Denji kind of agrees with the logic there.

I like to think at some point in that conversation the real meaning of “Denji spinal cord sword” finally clicked in his head

Valentin
Sep 16, 2012

she's definitely not wrong, but she seems just as intentionally not right. it's not that the situation is definitely awful (though she does intend to leave asa as a dog forever and still ends up wiping her memories, which both seem sort of obviously not good), it's more that i've seen quite a few comments elsewhere about how wholesome it is when it seems much more ambiguous than that

Valentin fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Feb 14, 2023

Valentin
Sep 16, 2012

e: quote is not edit

Ruflux
Jun 16, 2012

I don't really agree with the proto-Makima comments. Nayuta acts like a little brat and has far more in common with Power in that sense and is nowhere as manipulative as Makima or anything. In fact her control over both the dogs and Denji is shown to be woefully incomplete (failing to keep one of them from trying to eat her food) and it really doesn't look like she has much interest in anything other than controlling Denji at best.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Valentin posted:

she's definitely not wrong, but she seems just as intentionally not right. it's not that the situation is definitely awful (though she does intend to leave asa as a dog forever and still ends up wiping her memories, which both seem sort of obviously not good), it's more that i've seen quite a few comments elsewhere about how wholesome it is when it seems much more ambiguous than that

Is it really less wholesome then Aki and Power?

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

It's wholesome in so far as it shows Denji and Nayuta nominally caring about each other, however there is a lot to read between the lines which is kinda what makes CSM great. It presents as wholesome, while being clearly subversive of the dynamic we've been given hints at.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
Life isn't perfect, and an innately hosed up situation isn't going to magically change into something better. She is and always will be the Control Devil. She will always, always, always be about control. Period. If the extent of her desire is running Denji's life, that is an amazing loving win from our boy Denji.. The previous alternative was "Destroying the fundamental metaphysical framework of reality". She's a spoiled brat, sure, but so what? Let her be spoiled. Her previous life turned her into an actual monster, if she wants some ice cream and also for Denji not to associate with more women trying to kill him that's more humanity than we ever got from Makima.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Yoru, Asa and Denji were going to have a lovely date. :colbert:

Valentin
Sep 16, 2012

Mulva posted:

She's a spoiled brat, sure, but so what? Let her be spoiled. Her previous life turned her into an actual monster, if she wants some ice cream and also for Denji not to associate with more women trying to kill him that's more humanity than we ever got from Makima.

i get what you're going for but makima literally wanted both those things too lol. "unironically likes good food" and "apparently cares about denji's security (secretly because it's key to her ultimate plan to destroy his sense of security)" are two of makima's most heavily-hit beats in part 1.

she's not makima because 1) she's literally not makima and 2) she's a child. but i don't think "this slightly tense situation which can be read multiple ways and specifically calls back to the author's earlier work about a child almost destroying the world because of her attachment to her brother" is going to swerve us by ending totally peaceably (though it could!)

Valentin fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Feb 14, 2023

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"
Nayuta is more different than Makima than it seems actually. Here, Nayuta's methods are bad but her intention is to protect Denji. While Makima's methods seem kinder at first glance, her actual intentions are horrific.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?
The most important development in this chapter is that Meowy is there.

Elite
Oct 30, 2010
I love the Peak Cope monologue from Asa. It’s an excellent page.

Ruflux posted:

I don't really agree with the proto-Makima comments. Nayuta acts like a little brat and has far more in common with Power in that sense and is nowhere as manipulative as Makima or anything. In fact her control over both the dogs and Denji is shown to be woefully incomplete (failing to keep one of them from trying to eat her food) and it really doesn't look like she has much interest in anything other than controlling Denji at best.

Incredibly funny that Nayuta can control people and force them to behave like dogs, but cannot control dogs.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

AnoHito posted:

I think the problem isn't that she's not correct, but rather how she's acting and communicating. She doesn't actually say "this girl is probably a devil and is probably trying to kill you" - when Denji asks why she did it, it's because Asa was trying to steal "her property" (Denji). Her line about "every girl tries to kill you" feels more like her trying to justify her selfish actions. "She has a bad scent" is the most damning line, but is also ambiguous - if she said "I'm pretty sure she's a devil" then that'd be wildly different, and I suspect Denji would act differently as well. From Denji's point of view, he's found a girl he likes that maybe kind of likes him, he's gotten a second date, and while she gave mixed messages he was getting a kiss out of the deal - then suddenly Nayuta comes in and forbids him from growing closer to her under threat of enslaving the girl. It's an unfair ultimatum with no real justification that doesn't come across as an excuse. We, the readers, know Nayuta is correct, but Denji does not.

To clarify, I'm not saying this is bad writing or I don't like it or anything, this is all great stuff. Loved the chapter quite a lot. I'm just surprised seeing people saying this is wholesome or cute or whatever, when it just makes me feel bad for Denji.

And yeah, she's not literally Makima, there are a number of notable differences between them that are already apparent. I'm excited to see where the story takes her and her relationship with Denji.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Valentin posted:

i get what you're going for but makima literally wanted both those things too lol. "unironically likes good food" and "apparently cares about denji's security (secretly because it's key to her ultimate plan to destroy his sense of security)" are two of makima's most heavily-hit beats in part 1.

That's not true. The entire point is that pretty much all of part 1 is Makima creating a situation to psychologically obliterate Denji's sense of self. The entire climax is based on the idea Denji had that she never perceived him as an individual once. Which was shown to be true. Makima only cared about Pochita, and Denji was just some thing she had to get through to set Pochita free.

And again, this isn't a great situation. But so what? Their world is a nihilistic hellscape, and there aren't exactly a lot of happy endings possible. This is right up there with the best they were going to get.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
one positive development here is that we see nayuta still copying denji’s mannerisms (the peace sign and his stupid donkey laugh). emulating him like that implies she feels some degree of admiration towards him, beyond just thinking of him as “property”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Big Leg posted:

i love the page where it keeps zooming in on asa's face and her exposition doubles in size each panel

So good. Can't wait for next chapter !!! and in 7 days too :unsmith: