Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bengraven
Sep 17, 2009

by VideoGames

Steve Yun posted:

The scars are not visible to the characters, they only show it to the audience so that we can differentiate between Asa and Yoru

Now that’s got me even more fascinated by this development.

Alacron posted:

Meowy spent a good amount of time with Power at her her most feral, and got briefly eaten by the Bat Devil. A pack of friendly huskies should be no big deal.

I feel like they’d trigger her PTSD. lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

bengraven posted:

Now that’s got me even more fascinated by this development.

There’s a lot of interesting stuff Fujimoto does to portray unportrayable thoughts and ideas with dream logic

Like Pochita’s heart talking to Power’s blood inside Demi’s body

How Aki perceives reality without eyes

How Hell Devil kills the child sacrifices. Does a literal finger smash them? No, this is evident by the fact that the girl does not react. Instead it hides them from the audience as if on a photograph to say that they are now gone

Hell Devil taking everyone to hell

I’m still scratching my head about this one. Are the two areas of grass the different planes of existence, and the ants represent the threshold of death? Just a wild guess

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Feb 15, 2023

bengraven
Sep 17, 2009

by VideoGames

Steve Yun posted:

There’s a lot of interesting stuff Fujimoto does to portray unportrayable thoughts and ideas with dream logic

Like Pochita’s heart talking to Power’s blood inside Demi’s body

How Aki perceives reality without eyes

How Hell Devil kills the child sacrifices. Does a literal finger smash them? No, it hides them from the audience as if on a photograph to say that they are now gone

Hell Devil taking everyone to hell

I’m still scratching my head about this one. Are the two areas of grass the different planes of existence, and the ants represent the threshold of death? Just a wild guess

God dammit I love this mad genius. His use of metaphors to tell a story that some other authors would vomit text boxes at is genius.

I really should reread the series but I was just going to see the story though the anime instead. But I don’t think I can wait.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Hell Devil’s hand being covered in ants might also be a reference to Un Chien Andalou since he is a big art film nerd

Salvador Dali often used ants in his paintings to symbolize death/decay

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Feb 16, 2023

Sit on my Jace
Sep 9, 2016

Steve Yun posted:

Hell Devil’s hand being covered in ants might also be a reference to Un Chien Andalou since he is a big art film nerd

Good to know to prepare myself if I ever see a panel of a cloud passing in front of the moon.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Huge walls of Asa text folowed by a baffled reaction by someone nearby is never gonna get old.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Yeah I'm not sure I buy that one, but here's more possible evidence for the "Yoshida is the death devil" conspiracy theory which I do kind of buy:

At one point "#4 East High School" is displayed right between Asa and Yoshida. 4 is a portmanteau for Death in Japanese.

Could be a coincidence, or it could be a sign Asa is about to pull a Persona 3 and go on a date with death.

I don't think that theory has enough support to be that invested in it but it is a fun one and I really like the idea of the final sibling being the only brother. I am very curious to Yoshida's whole deal though and that's the most fun theory about it by far. I want to know if he works with or for Kishibe. I want to know how strong he is. I want to know his background because he keeps doing crazy poo poo since part one and saying "tee hee I'm a normal student"

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

EmmyOk posted:

I don't think that theory has enough support to be that invested in it but it is a fun one and I really like the idea of the final sibling being the only brother. I am very curious to Yoshida's whole deal though and that's the most fun theory about it by far. I want to know if he works with or for Kishibe. I want to know how strong he is. I want to know his background because he keeps doing crazy poo poo since part one and saying "tee hee I'm a normal student"

I mean, Quanxi kicked his rear end twice, and it wasn't close. Yoshida's tough, but nothing we've seen from him suggests he's anywhere close to a primordial.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

chiasaur11 posted:

I mean, Quanxi kicked his rear end twice, and it wasn't close. Yoshida's tough, but nothing we've seen from him suggests he's anywhere close to a primordial.

Yoshida is sus but I don't think he's that good at the spy game to deliberately sandbag. Like what would he gain from that?

bengraven
Sep 17, 2009

by VideoGames

Pierson posted:

Huge walls of Asa text folowed by a baffled reaction by someone nearby is never gonna get old.

She’s literally that teenager who’s like “I hate everyone, especially my crush, and let me tell you all the things about them I hate since I’m watching them all day. Wait what? What do you mean I said ‘my crush’, I didn’t say that.”

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

She's da best

SirKibbles
Feb 27, 2011

I didn't like your old red text so here's some dancing cash. :10bux:

EmmyOk posted:

I just don't see how Yoshida is the death devil instead of working for Death if that's the case.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
I’m bummed that Asa thinks she got stood up. Girls self esteem is low enough as it is.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

She will never dodge the femcel accusations.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

chiasaur11 posted:

Setting the death question aside, going toe to toe with her like that twice and doing that well is absurdly impressive. According to Kishibe's "if all the world came together for a slugfest she's the one who would walk away" declaration. Standing and banging with her is incredibly impressive. I reread the two fights and I don't think I'd describe them as not close either. The first one he reacts really well to her attack that no one else can do anything about and instantly counters with ink and dashes behind her for a "press X to takedown" style attack. Which she perfectly counters Kishibe to Denji style. A pretty clear cut win for her but also a pretty unexpected KO imo. Their second bout is a a pretty even rally. Quanxi is much more aggressive but Yoshida is dodging pretty fluidly and it ends with them both landing hard counter punches on each other. We don't see what happens between that and then Quanxi loving him out the window. I do believe she'd still win that fight but I think she threw him out the window for the same reason she threw Kishibe out the window. She could beat them but it'll take longer than she'd like whereas a ring out will remove them for long enough for her to kill everything else.

As I said I don't think he's death it's just a fun idea. However getting his rear end beat doesn't mean he isn't. He could be any number of situations like Denji, Asa, or Makima. It would be funny if his beauty mark turned out to be his fiend facial deformity lol. You get in close and it's a gross lil horn

SirKibbles posted:

I just don't see how Yoshida is the death devil instead of working for Death if that's the case.

Working for death is a cool idea. I do think his question to Denji about "can you eat Death?" wasn't just idle though. I wonder if the group he's working for is trying to use CSM similarly to how Makima wanted to use him.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
Unrelated, but artists usually get poo poo on for using copy/paste panels and I just adore how Fujimoto uses them always to superb effect.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Das Boo posted:

Unrelated, but artists usually get poo poo on for using copy/paste panels and I just adore how Fujimoto uses them always to superb effect.

There’s a really good joke about that in invincible when mark visits Comic-Con or something

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Eimi posted:

I mean the chapter ended with her being asked out by a sexy giant, maybe things are gonna turn around for her!

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe
everyone Denji dates tries to kill him. Asa only ever has terrible dates

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Probably not, I think she's going to obsess over Denji to the point where she's going to do something really stupid to try to win him back.

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008
i dont care how much probation i get capital letters are for squares hehe im so laid back an nice please read my low effort shitposts about the arab spring

thanxs!!!

I R SMART LIKE ROCK posted:

everyone Denji dates tries to kill him. Asa only ever has terrible dates

So far, Asa's dating history is 50% being turned into a dog, 50% making extremely ill-advised real estate investments

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

SexyBlindfold posted:

So far, Asa's dating history is 50% being turned into a dog, 50% making extremely ill-advised real estate investments

I mean she got that aquarium for dirt cheap and with money she found on the ground.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

EmmyOk posted:

Setting the death question aside, going toe to toe with her like that twice and doing that well is absurdly impressive. According to Kishibe's "if all the world came together for a slugfest she's the one who would walk away" declaration. Standing and banging with her is incredibly impressive. I reread the two fights and I don't think I'd describe them as not close either. The first one he reacts really well to her attack that no one else can do anything about and instantly counters with ink and dashes behind her for a "press X to takedown" style attack. Which she perfectly counters Kishibe to Denji style. A pretty clear cut win for her but also a pretty unexpected KO imo. Their second bout is a a pretty even rally. Quanxi is much more aggressive but Yoshida is dodging pretty fluidly and it ends with them both landing hard counter punches on each other. We don't see what happens between that and then Quanxi loving him out the window. I do believe she'd still win that fight but I think she threw him out the window for the same reason she threw Kishibe out the window. She could beat them but it'll take longer than she'd like whereas a ring out will remove them for long enough for her to kill everything else.

I agree that he did an impressive job. I disagree that he managed to make it remotely close. First time she didn't seem to need that much effort to get him into position for a kill. Second time, he did better (he even got a good clean hit in!) but the next time we see him after that, Quanxi is picking him up to throw him out the window. That's not a move you can do to an opponent giving as good as he gets.

Kishibe, meanwhile, gets a closer showing. Quanxi manages to throw him out the window with a counter, sure, but he's still able to tag the wall with his knife to slow his fall, and he's launching attacks as fast as she is, while Yoshida was mostly on the defensive.

If we're looking at human standard levels of ability, then yeah. Yoshida's a beast. (Even if his banter with Kishibe implies there are still people who are even scarier than he is.) It's just that, compared to primals, Makima, full power Chainsawman (heck, even current Chainsaw Man, given the fight with Cockroach), and Gun, he seems like a bit player. And that really makes the Death theory seem unlikely.

(Now, a contract with Death? That I can believe. Especially if the terms were bad, leaving him less-than-favorably-inclined to the boss.)

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

So far the pattern of Asa's life seems to be:

Something horrible happens to Asa destroying her hopes and dreams--->something good happens to Asa-->Asa starts to let her guard down and begins to hope again -->Something horrible happens to Asa destroying her hopes and dreams

Right now we're in the "crushed dreams" part of the cycle, so if this pattern holds true next chapter Asa will get to experience some relief and happiness before life screws her over yet again.

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
was there some thing where fujimoto said that he imagined chainsaw man as three 'parts' and that this is the second or was that some poo poo i dreamed up or someone made up

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Again I don’t think he’s the final sibling but him losing to Quanxi wouldn’t be a big deal regardless. If he were death we wouldn’t have any idea what is agenda is there. So him winning that bout might not matter to him versus maintaining his identity. Also if Death was on earth in some form it had presumably been reduced somewhat before it’s rebirth.

For what I actually think of the Yoshida fight he does much better thank Kishibe. Kishibe is more aggressive but that doesn’t mean he did better. He doesn’t land a single hit and is tossed almost immediately. He stops his fall with the knife earlier that Yoshida does with octopus but much less successfully as he crushed Kobeni’s car. Yoshida lands at least one significant strike, goes for much longer, and takes less damage from his fall. I also read Yoshida’s rematch request as something he was doing for fun. Facing Quanxi on her terms as a challenge. It could just be he realised octopus wouldn’t be fast or strong enough to help. However that scene has always read to me as him wanting to test or challenge himself.

Generally I don’t like to think too metatextually about things but I think the primary reason he and Kishibe were thrown out the window is Fujimoto didn’t want either of them to get hosed up in hell.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Just to be clear I wasn’t suggesting Yoshida was Death, I’m saying maybe he has a cohabitation deal going on with Octopus, like Asa/Yoru

Death should be interesting whenever they do show up because they would be both a Horseman and a primordial fear

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Death will be a cool bloke who loves cans with the lads and nothing like all these broads. Bet on it

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
I, also, don't think he's death - but if he was; his loss could easily be handwaved away as him wanting to keep his cover. If he's pretending to be a regular devil hunter for whatever reason, showing up out of nowhere and just kicking every rear end would probably be super suspicious vs. the story of being the guy who just manages to survive every fight like a cockroach. So if he does have some weird long term plans that involve Denji, he probably doesn't want to be seen as too strong or too weak.

Of course given how I'm perpetually wrong about everything in this series, that probably means he is Death.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

I feel like when Death shows up, we’ll know. Like, Darkness was enough to turn everyone nearby into a gibbering mess just by existing near them, and Death has gotta be an order of magnitude stronger than that at least.

SirKibbles
Feb 27, 2011

I didn't like your old red text so here's some dancing cash. :10bux:

Eimi posted:

Kwyndig posted:

Probably not, I think she's going to obsess over Denji to the point where she's going to do something really stupid to try to win him back.

Both of these are very true and connected

bengraven
Sep 17, 2009

by VideoGames
I love her. I wasn’t sold in her until the aquarium when I realized she’s not just a character in the first arc but an actual main character (the main?).

I don’t know I just love the girl.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

bengraven posted:

I love her. I wasn’t sold in her until the aquarium when I realized she’s not just a character in the first arc but an actual main character (the main?).

https://twitter.com/blizzardingpike/status/1605277310323929088

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

AnoHito posted:

I feel like when Death shows up, we’ll know. Like, Darkness was enough to turn everyone nearby into a gibbering mess just by existing near them, and Death has gotta be an order of magnitude stronger than that at least.

One thing I think is interesting about Death as a powerful devil is that we associate it with being all-consuming but we also know for a fact that until Chainsaw Man did some eating it was just one possible conclusion to humanity's end. So while we're prone to think of Death as an all-consuming all-controlling thing it would likely have been fundamentally different in the world that came before. Like we're prepped to think of the Death Devil as something terrifyingly overwhelming but it may not have always been that way.

And if the plot involves figuring out ways to make Chainsaw Man barf up devoured concepts, it's entirely possible Death's goal would be to stop that because it is possible the other four fates that await humankind at life's end were more powerful.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

ImpAtom posted:

And if the plot involves figuring out ways to make Chainsaw Man barf up devoured concepts, it's entirely possible Death's goal would be to stop that because it is possible the other four fates that await humankind at life's end were more powerful.

nice

bengraven
Sep 17, 2009

by VideoGames

Now I know why I love her so much.

Big Leg
May 22, 2020

a corpse is talking

this. shame on nayuta

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!
one of my shower thoughts is that chainsaw man is actually like the extinction/eradication devil, and the chainsaw is just a symbolic representation of a cause of extinction (like deforestation). or maybe he is, in technical terms, a "chainsaw devil," but the setting's rules allow for some metaphorical hijinks, so a chainsaw can punch above its weight class by being a loaded metaphor that represents a lot of concepts at once.

i also think that, by the standards of Part 1, Nayuta and Denji are doing pretty okay so far. Like, just looking at the relatively good parts of Denji's life in Part 1, he literally spent like three days in a death-murder orgy with the Eternity Devil, spent like a month getting killed constantly by a jaded old man, and got force-fed alcohol and vomit by an older woman who was trying to have sex with him while he was still a minor. Dude's life was totally unhinged to an absurdist degree. Right now he has some boundary issues as the caretaker of a bratty teen and that's such a mundane problem to have.

i really do think it's awesome that Part 2 is basically about the struggle of trying to raise a girl with a Dark Triad personality to be a decent human being.

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.
Started rereading from chapter 64 and goddamn what a fun read

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

bengraven posted:

Yup, Asa is a fantastic protagonist. I don't think any girl has ever captured "self loathing socially inept teenage loser" before.