Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Waffleman_ posted:

No, she's just like a pharmacist

Interesting enough when I was reading it I was wondering if it was an isekai because Maomao kinda felt like she was an isekai protagonist; and the story in general as far as I could tell never seemed to explicitly state, "Yes this is Ancient China, on our Earth." She could be in a wuxia setting for all I know. Doesn't change or affect the story but I thought it was interestingly ambiguous.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I could go for a straightforward wuxia anime. There's enough chanbara anime out there, a whole shebang of wire fighting and super fast Dao swordfights would hit just right.

I suppose I could split the difference and watch Sword of the Stranger again and have chanbara versus wuxia

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤
It's a relatively light-hearted whodunnit series set in historical China, with court politics and lots of good ol poisonings.

The lead is an herbalist peasant born and raised in the red light district, and was enslaved into indentured servitude in the Imperial Harem. She has no powers, save that of deduction.

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Nitrousoxide posted:

Literally a cat.

Glad that they are indeed keeping the animation of her being literally a cat since that was great in the manga.

kirtar fucked around with this message at 06:39 on Feb 16, 2023

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Squidster posted:

It's a relatively light-hearted whodunnit series set in historical China, with court politics and lots of good ol poisonings.

The lead is an herbalist peasant born and raised in the red light district, and was enslaved into indentured servitude in the Imperial Harem. She has no powers, save that of deduction.

Lol of course, there it is.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 06:37 on Feb 16, 2023

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
it's not like slavery is a forbidden subject no story can ever touch. the problem is stories that fetishize it.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Squidster posted:

Before anyone reads to far into "imperial harem", Specifically she was initially chosen to be a maid and taste tester for one of the wives of the emperor.

Arc Hammer posted:

Lol of course, there it is.

It's a historical setting, not a fantasy one though.

Xelkelvos fucked around with this message at 06:46 on Feb 16, 2023

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
When you put the words enslaved, red light district and harem in the same sentence it leads to certain conclusions.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Arc Hammer posted:

When you put the words enslaved, red light district and harem in the same sentence it leads to certain conclusions.

Fair enough.

To further elaborate, Maomao was the child of a prostitute and was adopted and raised by the herbalist who regularly did checkups at the brothel. She's basically kidnapped and sold to the Imperial palace to be a servant at the start of the story.

If you like the main character of In/Specter, you'll like Maomao as they both cut from the same smart, smug, and slightly crazy cloth.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

UnderFreddy posted:

while I disliked parts of Eminence in Shadows being more focused on the generic aspects over the comedy parts, I think it ended up being a pretty good adaptation. The last two episodes were really good

Yeah I'm really enjoying it

A little detail I just noticed: wayyy back at the opening of episode 15 at the very start of the Bushin Festival arc we saw Cid standing on a clock tower looking over the city and considering his approach to the upcoming arena battle competition

.... but at the very end of the arc in episode 20 the big climactic battle just happens to occur on that very same clock tower

They don't mention it explicitly but back in episode 15 he'd obviously been location scouting for the ideal dramatic backdrop for the showdown he orchestrating. :v:

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Yeah I'm really enjoying it

A little detail I just noticed: wayyy back at the opening of episode 15 at the very start of the Bushin Festival arc we saw Cid standing on a clock tower looking over the city and considering his approach to the upcoming arena battle competition

.... but at the very end of the arc in episode 20 the big climactic battle just happens to occur on that very same clock tower

They don't mention it explicitly but back in episode 15 he'd obviously been location scouting for the ideal dramatic backdrop for the showdown he orchestrating. :v:

Isn't he also on a clock tower for his "I need more power" line at the end of episode 1?

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

i was gonna ask what this show was about but this gif sold me even before the explanations hit

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Arc Hammer posted:

this means jack and poo poo bro

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
some of you people are getting way too loving used to judging a story on surface aspects you find in the basic description that mean absolutely nothing other than to tell you that an aspect of the narrative exists

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Deep down we all hate anime

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Namtab posted:

Deep down we all hate anime
no

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

It’s the devils cinema

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

also to be clear the only sex stuff that exists is a couple of mentions of ancient chinese sex work, theres not really anything like that going on with the protag. the original novel runs in an imprint aimed at young women, and the story is about the protagonist using her intellect to solve problems. her backstory exists to illustrate how limited the roles are for poor women in the society and how the protag uses her intelligence to overcome them. sex gets mentioned in other ways but only in terms of like, societal views on it. dropping it as one of the two facts about the show is kinda weird but so is immediately jumping to the worst possible conclusion.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

also it takes place in ancient china so half the male cast are eunuchs

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
yall need jesus, and when i say jesus, i mean thunderbolt fantasy

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Arc Hammer posted:

its just set in imperial china, which was a shithole no matter which dynasty you pick. much like rome that way

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Because anime is satans favourite I only look at the blurb posted in winter season thread

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

my personal favorite chinese history fact is cao rui, cao cao's grandson who had thousands of concubines and no biological son and caused a succession crisis. how.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Shootin' blanks

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

apparently millions of them

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

maybe he hosed so much it stopped working

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
you can't sneak in a bastard if the main man ain't fuckin' at all.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

kirtar posted:

Isn't he also on a clock tower for his "I need more power" line at the end of episode 1?

I just checked and yep, it's the same clock tower. :v:

That scene was a flash forward, I think it showed two characters who only just got introduced this episode (unless I missed them somewhere else is which entirely possible) and maybe a sneaky spoiler for one recurring character

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

you can't sneak in a bastard if the main man ain't fuckin' at all.

I mean, seems like you could. What's he gonna say? My dick doesn't work?

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

The key visual looks great. How often do they abstain from showing any character faces in these? I can't remember any.

https://twitter.com/MangaMoguraRE/status/1626025524039483398

Nitrousoxide fucked around with this message at 13:23 on Feb 16, 2023

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

Apothecary Diaries sounds awesome

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

Southern Cassowary posted:

It is!

Exia
Feb 12, 2014
Masamune-kun S2, which was supposed to start airing in April, has now been delayed. COVID has caused the studio to now delay it by three months, so now it’s scheduled to air in July
https://twitter.com/masamune_tv/status/1626144357265940481?s=20

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Extremely hype for Maomao and I'm really glad this looks like an adaptation with a decent amount of care being put into it.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

it's ok. the art is pretty, the medicine seems questionable and like im not supposed to think about it too hard, and the romance is so barely there that im pretty sure it's there to bait people like me into reading it. I'll pick it back up when it's finished I guess.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Endorph posted:

my personal favorite chinese history fact is cao rui, cao cao's grandson who had thousands of concubines and no biological son and caused a succession crisis. how.

pull-out game champion 50+ years running

copy
Jul 26, 2007

it has some kinda fun mystery elements but like larry said there's not much romance if thats what youre looking for. i personally dig it so far.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

So kawaii..
what was the name of some other chinese palace series with a girl being a consort and some mild ghosts running around

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

copy posted:

it has some kinda fun mystery elements but like larry said there's not much romance if thats what youre looking for. i personally dig it so far.

oh nah i was solely interested in the like, palace intrigue mystery angle

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

copy
Jul 26, 2007

oh nah i was solely interested in the like, palace intrigue mystery angle

then welcome,f riend