Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DeadBonesBrook
May 31, 2011

How do you do, fellow Regis?

Cephas posted:

one of my shower thoughts is that chainsaw man is actually like the extinction/eradication devil, and the chainsaw is just a symbolic representation of a cause of extinction (like deforestation). or maybe he is, in technical terms, a "chainsaw devil," but the setting's rules allow for some metaphorical hijinks, so a chainsaw can punch above its weight class by being a loaded metaphor that represents a lot of concepts at once.

Maybe he "evolved", Pokemon style, into Chainsaw Man in 1984, once Scarface hit movie theaters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Big Leg posted:

this. shame on nayuta

Nayuta needed to re-negotiate the family ice-cream rules. Asa's misery is a small price to pay in comparison.

I think the aquarium is where Asa's problems as a person started being obvious, which helps her work better as a character. When she wasn't interacting much with people, it was easier to buy into her self-assessments as accurate. When she was mostly around Yuko, Yuko's issues were even more blatant, so those took focus.

But now, well, it's much easier to see why Asa didn't have any friends before Bucky.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Asa is good and she needs more friends and Nayuta is rude but she probably needs more friends too

Denji also needs friends. Folks, these characters need a social circle.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Steve Yun posted:

The scars are not visible to the characters, they only show it to the audience so that we can differentiate between Asa and Yoru
Or the scars are visible to everyone and Asa is the only one who can't 'see' them

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Shinjobi posted:

Asa is good and she needs more friends and Nayuta is rude but she probably needs more friends too

Denji also needs friends. Folks, these characters need a social circle.

Both of them have almost a 100% mortality rate for friends

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Shinjobi posted:

Folks, these characters need a social circle.

If only they could work together toward some sort of solution.

https://twitter.com/_Snowberru_/status/1605525632967880705
Integer overflow on negative rizz :whatup:

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Terper posted:

Or the scars are visible to everyone and Asa is the only one who can't 'see' them

I can buy it. Explains where her fiend deformity is, too. She's just lucky she got something that's relatively easy to wave off.

(Of course, that does suggest that there might be something to the Fight Club theory.)

Valentin
Sep 16, 2012

re yoshida I do wonder (not for any real story reason, just idle curiosity) if there's any significance to the fact that he and octopus devil actually line up pretty well. like on a basic level they seem to operate pretty harmoniously; in contrast to other contracts we've seen, he appears to be able to call on octopus freely at no known cost.

but I'm more interested in the fact that while e.g. aki isn't foxlike (well ig a lot of his thematic stuff is bound up in the curse devil) and power actually does fairly little with blood as an idea (usually what's scary about blood is the sight of it or sometimes more abstractly the idea your own blood might somehow harm you through contamination, not blood made into big weapons), yoshida has a contract with the octopus devil and is in turn a slippery and dangerous individual who is clearly smart but comes across to the reader as alien and unknowable and who operates according to his own agenda. the octopus is a classic symbol of shadowy conspiracy, too. I don't think this means anything plotwise, but it's interesting in a series nominally about fear that yoshida is in some respects specifically scary the way an octopus is.

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.
That's because Yoshida is married to the octopus devil. Please keep up

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Valentin posted:

re yoshida I do wonder (not for any real story reason, just idle curiosity) if there's any significance to the fact that he and octopus devil actually line up pretty well. like on a basic level they seem to operate pretty harmoniously; in contrast to other contracts we've seen, he appears to be able to call on octopus freely at no known cost.

but I'm more interested in the fact that while e.g. aki isn't foxlike (well ig a lot of his thematic stuff is bound up in the curse devil) and power actually does fairly little with blood as an idea (usually what's scary about blood is the sight of it or sometimes more abstractly the idea your own blood might somehow harm you through contamination, not blood made into big weapons), yoshida has a contract with the octopus devil and is in turn a slippery and dangerous individual who is clearly smart but comes across to the reader as alien and unknowable and who operates according to his own agenda. the octopus is a classic symbol of shadowy conspiracy, too. I don't think this means anything plotwise, but it's interesting in a series nominally about fear that yoshida is in some respects specifically scary the way an octopus is.

Yeah, most of the other devil contracts we've seen involve things like letting a devil eat a part of your body or give up years of your life every time you summon them. So far Yoshida has been shown summoning the Octopus pretty frequently, and been able to keep all of his body parts, so either he has like a few weeks left to live because the octopus ate the rest of his future or he has some other weirder deal worked out with it.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Yeah, most of the other devil contracts we've seen involve things like letting a devil eat a part of your body or give up years of your life every time you summon them. So far Yoshida has been shown summoning the Octopus pretty frequently, and been able to keep all of his body parts, so either he has like a few weeks left to live because the octopus ate the rest of his future or he has some other weirder deal worked out with it.

We've actually seen several contracts that were one-and-done. Make some starter sacrifice, and you can use the power freely. Himeno, Denji, and Aki were all working with deals in that line at one point or other, and Fox took little enough that it might not show.

Presumably, Yoshida made a good general purpose deal with Octopus, rather than having to pay every time.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
“You can use my tentacle to fight if you let me cosplay as you for shits and giggles”

GloomMouse
Mar 6, 2007

Contracts can be pretty light based on the whim of the Devil, even down to the low, low, price of nothing if your future is hilariously awful!

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

GloomMouse posted:

Contracts can be pretty light based on the whim of the Devil, even down to the low, low, price of nothing if your future is hilariously awful!

That still had limitations though, it just didn't have a concrete cost.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I don't think there is any reason to assume Yoshida has a more favourable contract with Octopus than a lot of pubsec hunters have with Kon. Aki mostly only has to give some skin for every summon and occasionally hair.

Though the Kon comparison also makes mee realise Sawatari didn't have that different a contract from everyone else like I used to think. I still think she was supposed to be some greater force when she did first appeared based on her snake eyes and Ghost refusing to approach her.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
https://twitter.com/hanavbara/status/1621530917708922880?s=46&t=No0DbERk1txLiu2cNKmquA

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
I shared this in the anime thread but I really like this guy’s chunky aesthetic

https://twitter.com/ryosuketarou/status/1590706998345363456?s=46&t=ejk-t3kt_JQfvgqSUSPBXg

https://twitter.com/ryosuketarou/status/1555035174244454400?s=46&t=ejk-t3kt_JQfvgqSUSPBXg

https://twitter.com/ryosuketarou/status/1620791627928453120?s=46&t=ejk-t3kt_JQfvgqSUSPBXg

https://twitter.com/ryosuketarou/status/1600859983050342401?s=46&t=ejk-t3kt_JQfvgqSUSPBXg

Elite
Oct 30, 2010

EmmyOk posted:

I don't think there is any reason to assume Yoshida has a more favourable contract with Octopus than a lot of pubsec hunters have with Kon. Aki mostly only has to give some skin for every summon and occasionally hair.

Brb, trading my dandruff for great cosmic power.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Elite posted:

Brb, trading my dandruff for great cosmic power.

that's like seasoning probably

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse

Steve Yun posted:

I shared this in the anime thread but I really like this guy’s chunky aesthetic

Thanks for sharing! He's got a nice style, I super dig it

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Yoru and Asa clothes flipping colors is cool and oversized jacket Kobeni is powerful.

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Sleep, rest, do your best.
Kobeni's mysterious devil gave her insane agility and all it cost was that she is sweating in literally every panel she shows up in.

bengraven
Sep 17, 2009

by VideoGames
That artist is pretty dope. He’ll sometimes do Easter eggs in his backgrounds. Like around Halloween there were a few JJK pieces that had the Forger family.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

PringleCreamEgg posted:

Kobeni's mysterious devil gave her insane agility and all it cost was that she is sweating in literally every panel she shows up in.

Current fan theory: Cat Devil

Somehow survives all the time, has a fight or flight response, always scared

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.
Kobeni doesn't have a devil contract she's just built different

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe

goblin week posted:

Kobeni would never lie to us, too pure

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"
Now that we got Nayuta, where's Kobeni??

No, her brother doesn't count!!

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

goblin week posted:

Kobeni is built different and has a devil contract.

Look at her managing to stealth around Akane, Darkness and (until she tripped) Reze. It's not just that they didn't see her. She was basically invisible.

I figure that's her contract in action.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Kobeni is super competent but her contract with the Cringe Devil requires her to constantly humiliate herself for power. When she tripped serving a hamburger it was in a desperate attempt to power herself up enough to not be killed.

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

Neo_Crimson posted:

Now that we got Nayuta, where's Kobeni??

No, her brother doesn't count!!

she lives in one of the adjacent apartments (not on purpose, it was the only one she could afford)

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Flavahbeast posted:

she lives in one of the adjacent apartments (not on purpose, it was the only one she could afford)

Weirdly enough it turns out Kobeni is one of the few non-Denji people Nayuta gets along with. They play DDR together sometimes when Denji is out being Chainsaw Man or scamming homeless people.

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

I've seen fun you people wouldn't believe.
Tiki torches on fire off the summit of Kilauea.
I watched disco balls glitter in the dark near the Brandenburg Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like crowds in rain.

Time to sleep.

chiasaur11 posted:

Kobeni is built different and has a devil contract.

Look at her managing to stealth around Akane, Darkness and (until she tripped) Reze. It's not just that they didn't see her. She was basically invisible.

I figure that's her contract in action.

Didn't Darkness take off her arms as well but they were just able to reattach them afterwards?

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Brightman posted:

Didn't Darkness take off her arms as well but they were just able to reattach them afterwards?

Yeah, but then she vanished after than when Violence said to hide. Doesn't appear again on panel until Family Burger.

yum
Oct 27, 2005

Only good things will come
to someone like
you.
I hope Kobeni is doing okay :)

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

yum posted:

I hope Kobeni is doing okay :)

she absolutely is not

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse
We can still wish her the best and send good vibes her way :sparkles:

Hidingo Kojimba
Mar 29, 2010

My fake-money's still on her turning up as a substitute teacher once the Devil Hunters actually cotton on the the fact something seriously off the wall is going on at this school.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

Hidingo Kojimba posted:

My fake-money's still on her turning up as a substitute teacher once the Devil Hunters actually cotton on the the fact something seriously off the wall is going on at this school.

Kobeni will be assigned to sub Denji’s class right after Yoru gets nukes, WW2 and Nazis to exist again

It will be a world history class and Yoru will start arguing with her about how things went down

Edit At a critical moment Kobeni will trip and Asa will Asa will turn on Yoru because of klutz solidarity

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Feb 18, 2023

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

Yoru meets Yoru

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Feb 21, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Loid and Denji walking their dogs in the background ftw