Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MQ4ChxUmj0Q

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gully Foyle
Feb 29, 2008

How did I just notice this: JoDIO Joestar

Really liking the whole setup so far:

- Jodio being an inverse Giorno directly involved in drug trafficking
- November Rain - hard to tell exactly but it looks to be kind of like Vitamin C, softening and flattening people with its rain. Curious to see how it will get used, later Jojo stands are usually pretty flexible and crazy.
- Smooth Operators I can tell is probably gonna be my favorite Stand - loving love the little bulldozers rearranging things. Super subtle but also lots of body horror already.
- The Hustle seems pretty limited - curious to see what the Stand looks like (assuming we will get to see it at some point).
- Giant principle/fashion designer/kingpin lady is great. Vibes of Polpo, I'm going to guess she'll have some kind of remote stand as well.
- A heist gone wrong is a good way to get right into the story rather than Pt 8 where it was pretty aimless for a while.

Super happy to be in on the ground floor of a new Jojo part, let's loving go!

Gully Foyle fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Feb 16, 2023

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
Jojo is good

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
I'm kind of amused at how close my shitpost got to the truth. Mainly the nu-Giorno part I guess, the stand was way off

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

Some more details about the protagonist of JoJoLands:

* Araki said he wanted to try this universe's version of Giorno
* From the way he describes nu-Giorno's stand, it sounds like aerosmith but if it had some kind of sound-based effect. I'm sure it'll be clearer once we actually see it.

You can see the video here

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Speculation-wise, I anticipate November Rain to end up being a Tusk situation, I can see it getting new forms until it gets a humanoid form for some ORAORAORA by the end.

Mr. Funktastic
Dec 27, 2012

College Slice

Josuke Higashikata posted:

Speculation-wise, I anticipate November Rain to end up being a Tusk situation, I can see it getting new forms until it gets a humanoid form for some ORAORAORA by the end.

I can see it's power being water manipulation as opposed to something very specific like we saw in the first chapter. Also leaves a lot of openness in terms of how it can be used especially on an island setting.

Swilo
Jun 2, 2004
ANIME SUCKS HARD
:dukedog:
Ahhhhh, new Jojo. I missed this feeling.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

This is my 'big bro' Dragona, he's takes this cosmetic injection called 'estrogen valerate' but I don't really know what that's all about

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
So this is what it's like having to wait for new JoJo, huh. I guess I should probably finally read part 8.

I enjoyed this chapter but starting it off the way it did was pretty off putting. That better not be a running theme in this part, cause everything else was great.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Dragona better make it to the end and get at least 2 sick fights.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Is Jodio the first Joestar with a sibling

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Waffleman_ posted:

Josuke 1 has a big sister and it's a goddamn travesty we never got to see them meet.

Baron La Croix
Nov 2, 2010

rastah farah
sonnah maddah fah
Also Giorno has (at least) three half-siblings and Johnny had a brother, Nicholas.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
Also Jonathan had a brother.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Waffleman_ posted:

Jonathan :frogbon:

chrome line
Oct 13, 2022
Jonathan very famously had a brother, and so did Johnny. But this is the first sibling who seems to be an active participant in the story in a positive role

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Curse you...

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

happens to all of us

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

speaking as a trans person i think dragona is cool as gently caress

https://twitter.com/bloomfilters/status/1626262189542719492 a tweet that offers context a little

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

honestly i think some fans and translators are going to be dogshit about this development, but that's just the price that people like me pay any time a character like this comes up, so whatever

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Yup, I'm hype as gently caress to see an explicitly GNC character in JoJos. Plus anyone who's mad about him, I've no idea how Dragona is the straw that broke the camel's back, given we're like 4 parts into huge amounts of the male cast being super androgynous.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Johnny Joestar posted:

https://twitter.com/bloomfilters/status/1626262189542719492 a tweet that offers context a little

I kinda like the messiness of their depiction anyway, a trans femme thriving in HRT but not having all the finer details figured out feels very true to life

Supersonic Shine
Oct 13, 2012
And just like that, I'm back on Araki's wild ride. I'm already loving the Joestar sibs.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Phil Collins voice Jo-Jo-Jodio

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Johnny Joestar posted:

Yeah, as someone who's a bit familiar with Japanese depictions of trans people and surrounding translation issues, I was cringing the whole way through knowing that the he/him pronouns were 100% the choice of a questionable translator and definitely would have been entirely ambiguous in the original.

That said I think this might actually be a fair interpretation:

No Dignity posted:

This is my 'big bro' Dragona, he's takes this cosmetic injection called 'estrogen valerate' but I don't really know what that's all about
If Jodio is just as dense as he is arrogant, that would be kind of funny. I'm assuming he unambiguously uses the term "brother" at least. I forget if anyone else uses masculine pronouns. And the whole thing might just not be a clear cut situation for this character. We don't really know at this point and that's fine.

In any case Dragona is indeed awesome. I kind of wish the whole manga didn't open on some incredibly gross sexual assault. But at least the cops got super hosed up right after. And I think it is at least helping to set the theme of the manga that appears to be about power and social standing.

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.
Dragona loving owns

Pootybutt
Apr 5, 2011

This is so exciting! Yeah get hosed, pigs! Dragona owns. Jodio just screaming ORAAAAA in mid-freakout is so great. I kinda hope it keeps up w the sassy internal monologue for awhile, it adds to the heist narrative feel and Araki's already making great use of it to seed tension and suspense.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Araki has never been limited by good taste and honestly bless him for it

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Eiba posted:

Yeah, as someone who's a bit familiar with Japanese depictions of trans people and surrounding translation issues, I was cringing the whole way through knowing that the he/him pronouns were 100% the choice of a questionable translator and definitely would have been entirely ambiguous in the original.

That said I think this might actually be a fair interpretation:

If Jodio is just as dense as he is arrogant, that would be kind of funny. I'm assuming he unambiguously uses the term "brother" at least. I forget if anyone else uses masculine pronouns. And the whole thing might just not be a clear cut situation for this character. We don't really know at this point and that's fine.

In any case Dragona is indeed awesome. I kind of wish the whole manga didn't open on some incredibly gross sexual assault. But at least the cops got super hosed up right after. And I think it is at least helping to set the theme of the manga that appears to be about power and social standing.

Elsewhere in the twitter thread linked earlier, it's confirmed that the original Japanese uses "oniisan", which unambiguously means "older brother". I can't find any scans of the raws to confirm this myself, unfortunately. I feel like we'll need to wait for Dragona to make a more direct comment about their gender themself before we can decide for sure.

Something that's refreshing, though, is that Dragona is undeniably queer. If they prefer she/her pronouns, then she's absolutely trans. If they prefer he/him, then he's absolutely gender non-conforming. If they are non-binary, well then they're an enby. No matter what, there's not really any way for chuds to go NO THEY'RE NOT TRANS OR GNC OR NB OR WHATEVER like they could with Yamato in One Piece.

Dragonwagon
Mar 28, 2010

And that, as much as anything else, led to my drinking problem.
You can tell Jodio is inverse Giorno because instead of drinking piss his power is pissing on people really hard.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Waffleman_ posted:

They all have at least one this time but most of them aren't named

Josefumi didn't get one because his fate was to be a sad boy

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?
A Stand power that lets you flex really hard is the most Jojo thing ever.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Dragona your power is so loving cool. I love you so much keep using it.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

A Stand power that lets you flex really hard is the most Jojo thing ever.

flex really hard in order to carry stolen goods using your arm meat

though before the last page i didn't even know that was a stand, since people have done way weirder poo poo with their bodies in jojo with no supernatural influence

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Funky Valentine posted:

Dragona your power is so loving cool. I love you so much keep using it.

My favorite fan theory: Dragona used Smooth Operators to slide off someone's boobs to steal them for himself.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
holy poo poo, Dragona's power

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

CodfishCartographer posted:

My favorite fan theory: Dragona used Smooth Operators to slide off someone's boobs to steal them for himself.

nuh uh, we already have this covered: 'cosmetic injections', whatever those may be...

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

https://twitter.com/Mr13eyond/status/1626306863737323521?s=20

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

The OP has been updated with an in-progress entry for TJL

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Absolutely the correct read