Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
I got my nice Miele canister vacuum used on craigslist for $200 and it has been a terrific machine

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

canyoneer posted:

I got my nice Miele canister vacuum used on craigslist for $200 and it has been a terrific machine

That's a steal similar to what my daughter found on FB. I have an upright Cat & Dog model that I've had to replace the belt twice, but after the first time, nbd. Also terrific vacuum. I've heard good things about Sebo too though.

phongn
Oct 21, 2006

We have a Miele with the electric power head and it's so good.

SouthShoreSamurai
Apr 28, 2009

It is a tale,
Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
Signifying nothing.

Fun Shoe

His Divine Shadow posted:

Yeah I don't know poo poo about lasers and the terminology, just googling a bit today increased my knowledge twofold or more from what it was when I posted that. I've worked with bubble levels and string levels before. Bubble levels work but I'd like to make my life easier.

This is for foundation work, building & levelling concrete forms, I will need to do some concrete plinths foundations, grading and setting pavers. Stuff like that, outdoors and getting things level (or the right amount of slope), indoor work not so much.

Be a man and make a water level.

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

Stand back I'm going to try science!
We sold my wife’s peloton on marketplace and used the cash to by a Sebo D4, and this is amazing. I am never going back to bagless as long as we have dogs. No more emptying the vacuum every time we use it and wearing a respirator. It breathed new life into our carpets, we should have bought this when we got the house. You can actually smell a difference after vacuuming.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp
Bold move to tell the wife "go vacuum" every time she wants to workout

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

Stand back I'm going to try science!

Vim Fuego posted:

Bold move to tell the wife "go vacuum" every time she wants to workout

I actually tell her walk the dogs then she tells me to gently caress off.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002
I saw this on Reddit and it's genius: a homemade contour gauge!

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Everything on the Greenworks website is 30% off through Feb 20 with coupon code PRESIDENT.

Xenix
Feb 21, 2003

SouthShoreSamurai posted:

Be a man and make a water level.

All it takes is a bucket, some poly hose, and a yardstick!

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
If the ancient Egyptians could do it then you can.

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost
Talk me out of returning this DEWALT Laser Level Pole

Originally bought it because I thought I could use it for hanging a bunch of cabinetry and new shelving in my garage, but now questioning its usefulness. Maybe there's a hidden usefulness for it that I'm not aware of. Also costs $20 to return via postage because Amazon so I could use literally any reasoning to keep it :ohdear:

melon cat fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Feb 18, 2023

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

melon cat posted:

Talk me out of returning this DEWALT Laser Level Pole

Originally bought it because I thought I could use it for hanging a bunch of cabinetry and new shelving in my garage, but now questioning its usefulness. Maybe there's a hidden usefulness for it that I'm not aware of. Also costs $20 to return via postage because Amazon so I could use literally any reasoning to keep it :ohdear:

You can buy a tool and… give it back? People do this?

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

That Works posted:

Amazon yeah, as long as you're not chronic about it.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Mr. Mambold posted:

Amazon yeah, as long as you're not chronic about it.

How bizarre.

On a serious note, 20% off coupon presidents day sale on ebay. Tools linked here but theres lots of other stuff https://www.ebay.com/e/daily-deals/23presidents-sfc-main/tools-workshop-equipment/631

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost

That Works posted:

I can just put it next to the "Tools I will definitely use for sure" pile.

melon cat fucked around with this message at 05:54 on Jan 10, 2024

Elem7
Apr 12, 2003
der
Dinosaur Gum
People do it with opened packages and used tools all the time, some places online you'll even see people encourage HOs to do it for one off projects, EMT benders are a big one for that. The worst is people who buy a new tool, and then swap it for their broken tool, seal the box back up so it looks like it wasn't even opened and return it as unopened so it doesn't get checked, I've been bit by this before when Home Depot just restocked an item this had been done with.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Woosh guys I was joking about someone willingly passing up on having more tools.

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost

That Works posted:

Woosh guys I was joking about someone willingly passing up on having more tools.

lol I thought that might be the case

melon cat fucked around with this message at 05:54 on Jan 10, 2024

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
Must be why there seems to always be a plentiful supply of "reconditioned" Bosch rotary hammers. A one-project tool with a free rental!

stupid puma
Apr 25, 2005

I have the privilege of owning a home built in ‘78 with popcorn ceilings in every room, including a number of vaulted ceilings. House is around 3100 sq ft. I’ve tested and it is asbestos free. Based on a few really high bids and lack of interest from local laborers for this work, I’m going down the rabbit hole of seeing what it will take to do it myself.

Since we’ll be living there during this removal and for my sanity I’m thinking of sanding vs scraping and I’m trying to keep the dust level to an absolute minimum. Based on the bids I’ve gotten, it’ll be cheaper to buy equipment new and do the work myself vs hire out. Plus this allows me to buy new tools that I otherwise don’t need (which is awesome).

I’ve seen some reviews for Festool Planex sander + Festool hepa vacuums and that’s really appealing. Are there any other options I should be considering for a sanding solution? If the answer is Festool, which particular vacuum model? Seems like there are a ton of options and I have no idea which will get me by as a non-tradesman who isn’t going to be using it every day for a job but who still wants to minimize the particles ejected into my home.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
Never done sand but I've scraped A LOT of popcorn and though I have no recommendations vis a vis vacuums I will say a set of full coverage goggles will be your very best friend.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
Back when my parents finished their basement we did a bunch of sanding and used what basically amounted to a bong for keeping dust down.

You had the sander that had a vacuum hose attached to it. That hose went through the lid in to a 5 gallon bucket that was half-ish filled with water, and went all the way to the bottom. Then there was another fitting on top that didn't extend in to the water that the vacuum hose attached to. You turn the vacuum on, and it creates a vacuum, and air comes through the sander/hose down in to the water where the dust would get wet/turn in to drywall sludge and then the air would get sucked out the top through the vacuum.

This was 20+ years ago though, so there might be more modern poo poo now, but it seems like a decent way to not clog and have to replace expensive hepa filters.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
Buy stronger trash bags than you're used to buying - the big box of contractor ones - or double bag your usual stuff. It is heavier than you expect. Be prepared to either have a ton of bags laying around forever as you put 1-2 in your weekly trash pickup, or pay someone to haul it off.

Rufio
Feb 6, 2003

I'm smart! Not like everybody says... like dumb... I'm smart and I want respect!
Spray the popcorn with a water bottle, let it soak for a few mins, then just scrape with a sheetrock blade while holding a big metal dustpan underneath. I recently did my whole house and the dust was minimal.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

Rufio posted:

Spray the popcorn with a water bottle, let it soak for a few mins, then just scrape with a sheetrock blade while holding a big metal dustpan underneath. I recently did my whole house and the dust was minimal.

This is the way I've always done it but they said specifically they'd rather sand than scrape. Anyone done both? Kind of curious what method is more effective and scrapes my knuckles less.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Literally A Person posted:

This is the way I've always done it but they said specifically they'd rather sand than scrape. Anyone done both? Kind of curious what method is more effective and scrapes my knuckles less.
This is the way. Unless OP has lovely textured ceiling and not actual spray on popcorn.

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Cheech Wizard stories are clean, wholesome, reflective truths that go great with the marijuana munchies and a blow job.
Anyone have experience with arborist's winches? I've been renting a 3 ton Tirfor wire puller to take down dead snags but rental costs are getting to the point I might be better off buying than renting. No Tirfors on the second hand market and new are a bit too pricey for my taste.

The MorePower Puller is half the price and has a lot of fans.

The American Power Puller has fans as well but there are multiple complaints about not being able to source parts when needed.

There's lots of sub-$100 ratchet winches at the hardware stores and Princess Auto (Harbour Freight) but I had one come apart last fall while trying to work a manlift out of a hole so I'm not feeling a lot of love for them atm. I'd like to not have to worry about winch shrapnel as well as broken tree tops.

Also, don't use crappy little unrated bow shackles in your rigging. I know this, but for some reason it didn't register with this old logging chain I inherited from my father. Groverchain.

Meow Meow Meow
Nov 13, 2010

stupid puma posted:

I have the privilege of owning a home built in ‘78 with popcorn ceilings in every room, including a number of vaulted ceilings. House is around 3100 sq ft. I’ve tested and it is asbestos free. Based on a few really high bids and lack of interest from local laborers for this work, I’m going down the rabbit hole of seeing what it will take to do it myself.

Since we’ll be living there during this removal and for my sanity I’m thinking of sanding vs scraping and I’m trying to keep the dust level to an absolute minimum. Based on the bids I’ve gotten, it’ll be cheaper to buy equipment new and do the work myself vs hire out. Plus this allows me to buy new tools that I otherwise don’t need (which is awesome).

I’ve seen some reviews for Festool Planex sander + Festool hepa vacuums and that’s really appealing. Are there any other options I should be considering for a sanding solution? If the answer is Festool, which particular vacuum model? Seems like there are a ton of options and I have no idea which will get me by as a non-tradesman who isn’t going to be using it every day for a job but who still wants to minimize the particles ejected into my home.

I don't own a Festool vacuum, but have heavily researched them because I really want one and the main difference between the models is their capacity (ie. how much it will hold), all the other stuff is the same across the models, so it really comes down to how big you want the vacuum to be and how often you want to empty it.

stupid puma
Apr 25, 2005

Rufio posted:

Some can be done this way. Some was painted with latex so I’m guessing wetting it down won’t really work but I’m assuming I can still scrape it, it’ll just be messier.

I dunno, part of me just wants to buy new tools but also it’d be nice to not be scraping the vaulted ceilings on a double decker 15’ Home Depot special scaffolding which what I’m working with.

Meow Meow Meow posted:

I don't own a Festool vacuum, but have heavily researched them because I really want one and the main difference between the models is their capacity (ie. how much it will hold), all the other stuff is the same across the models, so it really comes down to how big you want the vacuum to be and how often you want to empty it.

Yeah that’s kind of my sense. They don’t do a great job of explaining this stuff. I guess the ultra high end model has an automatic filter cleaner which maybe seems like overkill for me.

Rufio
Feb 6, 2003

I'm smart! Not like everybody says... like dumb... I'm smart and I want respect!

stupid puma posted:

I dunno, part of me just wants to buy new tools but also it’d be nice to not be scraping the vaulted ceilings on a double decker 15’ Home Depot special scaffolding which what I’m working with.

I feel that man, and I also get the reasoning behind spending money on equipment vs hiring out. It's like free tools right? But you're also talking about buying professional level equipment, including a drywall sander that probably won't get used too often.

That being said it sounds super dope and I can't wait to see the setup.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

stupid puma posted:

Some can be done this way. Some was painted with latex so I’m guessing wetting it down won’t really work but I’m assuming I can still scrape it, it’ll just be messier.

Yeah that’s kind of my sense. They don’t do a great job of explaining this stuff. I guess the ultra high end model has an automatic filter cleaner which maybe seems like overkill for me.

Latex likes to gum stuff up, so you're screwed no matter what you use on that. Might be able to steam those parts loose with the popcorn underneath the latex releasing, idk.

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

stupid puma posted:

self cleaning filters is one of the main reasons to buy a dust extractor. I think most all extractors from any other decent tool company has autoclean

shop vacs are not designed to continuously be vacuuming large quantities of dust and will clog up and lose power quickly and require you to clean and/or replace the filter frequently. if you've got a decent shop vac you may be able to get filter bags for it, upgrade to HEPA filter, and then build or buy a dust separator which will capture almost all of the material before it gets to the filter

dust extractors on the other hand are meant to let you work continuously without having to worry about frequently clearing the filter. the other main reason is that you can plug your tools into the extractor and it will turn on and off automatically with the tool

personally I have a CT MIDI. I mainly use it for woodworking but it's been fantastic for drywall sanding with zero mess. it's the second cheapest one, it's the same size and power as the CT 15, but it comes with the better hose, a hose storage compartment on top, a manual self cleaning lever, and bluetooth, though you have to buy the remote separately to actually use it

(you're probably about to ask why you would want bluetooth, and the reason is that extractors usually have longer more flexible hoses than shop vacs that let you move around the room and maneuver more easily with the tool. with the remote you can keep it in a central location and move the hose between cordless tools and turn it on and off without walking back to the extractor)

intheflesh
Nov 4, 2008
Was directed here via AI

My 5 year old Husky Air Compressor decided it makes sparks instead of compressed air so its time for a new one. I don't want to throw away money at another entry level unit, also I'm not made of money so a $2500 semi-pro is out of the question. Is there anything that exists in the mid-range? Some brand I'm forgetting? Looking for a 20-gallon capable of running basic auto tools (ratchet, impact, cutting wheel, nothing that requires crazy CFM) and occasionally a paint gun which wants 5CFM@40psi IIRC. Looking to keep it under $750 and probably 20gallon or more
Are stationary compressors any better? Is seems like they just jump in price without much noticeable increase in specs

I inherited an ancient 60 gallon Craftsman unit with ghetto modifications my uncle and father both did to it, but we had it permanently installed at my brother-in-law's shop a few years ago so that's out unfortunately.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
Depending how handy you are with repairs you can find some gems on the second hand market.

ryanrs
Jul 12, 2011

Hexigrammus posted:

Anyone have experience with arborist's winches? I've been renting a 3 ton Tirfor wire puller to take down dead snags but rental costs are getting to the point I might be better off buying than renting. No Tirfors on the second hand market and new are a bit too pricey for my taste.

The American Power Puller has fans as well but there are multiple complaints about not being able to source parts when needed.

There's lots of sub-$100 ratchet winches at the hardware stores and Princess Auto (Harbour Freight) but I had one come apart last fall while trying to work a manlift out of a hole so I'm not feeling a lot of love for them atm. I'd like to not have to worry about winch shrapnel as well as broken tree tops.

Cheap ratchet winches break easily. I've cracked a big one pulling with one arm, no cheater. They're garbage.

I use the Wyeth-Scott puller to pull my Sienna minivan out of ditches while offroading. Note that the 3 ton rating is WITH a 2:1 pulley, so it is not as strong as the $1,000 puller you linked (also weighs half as much).

That said, the Wyeth-Scott is a very strong, heavy duty puller. I like mine. The AmSteel synthetic rope is EXTREMELY WORTH IT.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

Literally A Person posted:

Depending how handy you are with repairs you can find some gems on the second hand market.

That's how you end up with a rusted out tank that will become a bomb the first time you use it. Air compressors are one of those things worth buying new for piece of mind.

intheflesh, they're more expensive, but they also make aluminum tank air compressors that will never have that problem. Now, water will still collect in them and you should still drain it to maintain your air capacity.

Commodore_64
Feb 16, 2011

love thy likpa

Hexigrammus posted:

Also, don't use crappy little unrated bow shackles in your rigging. I know this, but for some reason it didn't register with this old logging chain I inherited from my father. Groverchain.

Warn and Landworks make some nice little plugin or portable power pulling tools. The warn plugin is great, but the 24V one is showing its age, especially with the NiMH battery.

https://www.amazon.com/WARN-885000-...7d-5992ecbdb227
https://www.amazon.com/Landworks-El...ps%2C352&sr=8-2
Here's a cute little capstan one!
https://www.amazon.com/Landworks-El...ps%2C352&sr=8-3

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

kid sinister posted:

That's how you end up with a rusted out tank that will become a bomb the first time you use it. Air compressors are one of those things worth buying new for piece of mind.

intheflesh, they're more expensive, but they also make aluminum tank air compressors that will never have that problem. Now, water will still collect in them and you should still drain it to maintain your air capacity.

The only compressors that explode are the ones that get lovely weld patches to repair the pinhole leaks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Doesn't aluminum get fatigued and fail rather suddenly?

e:
Personally the best solution is to a) dry the air before the compressor and b) Have the tank designed so water drains on it's own, even if that's just a length of copper with a lever valve that you open on occasion.

His Divine Shadow fucked around with this message at 13:51 on Feb 24, 2023