Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!

Casimir Radon posted:

I hate that superhero movies have squeezed out mid-budget historical movies.

Mid-budget movies, in general. :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

zer0spunk posted:

I'd rather have tony scotts filmography on uhd tbh.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

walk hard uhd when?

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

zer0spunk posted:

walk hard uhd when?
I have it on Blu-Ray and it's excellent. I'm not sure I really need to see that scene where Dewey's in the hotel room and the guy walks into the frame with his cock out in 4K lmao

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

Rageaholic posted:

I have it on Blu-Ray and it's excellent. I'm not sure I really need to see that scene where Dewey's in the hotel room and the guy walks into the frame with his cock out in 4K lmao

The Physical Media Thread: Not worth the cock upgrade

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

zer0spunk posted:

walk hard uhd when?

Can't even get the superior unrated cut digitally last time I checked.

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast
Does anyone know why 4K Blus seem to all have two titles on the disc- One normalish (many languages of audio tracks) and the other with only English and Japanese?

It seems to be a thing and I don't get what it's accomplishing

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!

zer0spunk posted:

The Physical Media Thread: Not worth the cock upgrade

This would also apply to The Color of Night.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

TheScott2K posted:

Can't even get the superior unrated cut digitally last time I checked.
I love how the cut labeled "The Unbearably Long Self-Indulging Director's Cut" clocks in at at 2 hours. Simpler times back then.

It's the only version to watch, really.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

caligulamprey posted:

I love how the cut labeled "The Unbearably Long Self-Indulging Director's Cut" clocks in at at 2 hours. Simpler times back then.

It's the only version to watch, really.

Watching it on Netflix was bizarre, it almost felt like a highlight reel. It's so much funnier when stuff like the Brian Wilson-style concerto section has time to breathe.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

VoodooXT posted:

This would also apply to Sleepaway Camp.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

The “directors cut” of Terminator Salvation is only 45 seconds longer than the theatrical. The only change is there’s a bit where Moon Bloodgood is topless that the studio demanded be cut. I read there was a press conference where the douchey director loudly asked everyone there something along the lines of “Who wants to see Moon’s tits?!” While she was sitting next to him.

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:

zer0spunk posted:

walk hard uhd when?

The day after I finally buy it on Blu

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Casimir Radon posted:

The “directors cut” of Terminator Salvation is only 45 seconds longer than the theatrical. The only change is there’s a bit where Moon Bloodgood is topless that the studio demanded be cut. I read there was a press conference where the douchey director loudly asked everyone there something along the lines of “Who wants to see Moon’s tits?!” While she was sitting next to him.

I don't think it's possible for anyone who calls themselves "McG" to not be a douche.

Seriously though, eww.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.
This movie has gotten several really nice releases, but not one of them has included a drat ending!

https://twitter.com/dawnofthediscs/status/1626254892141625345?s=20

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

never seen it, but a friend has raved about it. is this version the one to get? will it have the ending you're looking for, is that a joke about the film?

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

abelwingnut posted:

never seen it, but a friend has raved about it. is this version the one to get? will it have the ending you're looking for, is that a joke about the film?

If their other releases are an indication they'll probably have a standard edition at half the price, unless you want the booklet and stuff

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord

abelwingnut posted:

It’s a joke, it has an intentionally ambiguous ending

ringu0
Feb 24, 2013

Shin Ultraman is coming to Blu-ray in June

https://twitter.com/catsuka/status/1626348644109541377

PinkoBastard
Oct 3, 2010
Good

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.
My Years of Lead box set arrived. Here's a picture of it in between the Heisei Gamera box set and the Female Prisoner #701 Scorpion box set. See if you can pick up on what's different.

If anybody bought this at a store instead of during the flash sale, can you tell me if your copy is like this too? Or did they make this lovely box special for the flash sale like how all the super cheap Black Friday TVs are all cheap garbage made only to be sold on Black Friday

pwn
May 27, 2004

Holy poo poo that's right, thanks for reminding me. Arrow still haven't shipped my Scorpion set from January 21. Shot them an email.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

That’s actually weird, since I’ve never had any issues with them ever, and everything I’ve asked them to ship to NZ has arrived reasonably quickly, and in one piece.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Gripweed posted:

My Years of Lead box set arrived. Here's a picture of it in between the Heisei Gamera box set and the Female Prisoner #701 Scorpion box set. See if you can pick up on what's different.

If anybody bought this at a store instead of during the flash sale, can you tell me if your copy is like this too? Or did they make this lovely box special for the flash sale like how all the super cheap Black Friday TVs are all cheap garbage made only to be sold on Black Friday

thats a different box than the one used at release. that original one also came with a booklet

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Good news the terrifer 2 steelbook as all the features so I don’t need to double dip

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

MacheteZombie posted:

thats a different box than the one used at release. that original one also came with a booklet
I just looked at my Arrow sets both limited and standard and the only one that doesn't have the sturdy cardboard is the standard HGL set. Looks exactly like that Years of Lead.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

CelticPredator posted:

Good news the terrifer 2 steelbook as all the features so I don’t need to double dip

But is it in 4K

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

dorium posted:

But is it in 4K

It looks as good as it should. Which is good enough.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

MacheteZombie posted:

This is a really petty thing to be annoyed about. But I'm annoyed about it.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

Sniep posted:

Does anyone know why 4K Blus seem to all have two titles on the disc- One normalish (many languages of audio tracks) and the other with only English and Japanese?

It seems to be a thing and I don't get what it's accomplishing

I don't understand what you're asking here. What's an example of this?

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

huh. finally got my donnie darko box and it...came with a replacement 4k disc. turns out the 4k disc sent with the box itself had massive skipping issues, and they had to replace everyone's 4k disc. there's a whole replacement program for it if you had already bought it a while ago and need the fixed disc.

hadn't seen that before, but good on arrow.

ringu0
Feb 24, 2013

Cemetry Gator posted:

Can't show a concrete example, but when I was ripping my non-4K blus with makemkv, it was pretty common to see two sources: one with many languages of audio tracks, and the other with only English and Japanese, just like OP described. I even considered ripping only the second source, as I was going to study Japanese. I don't know why the disks were set up this way, and would be curious to find out, too.

ringu0 fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Feb 17, 2023

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

ringu0 posted:

Can't show a concrete example, but when I was ripping my non-4K blus with makemkv, it was pretty common to see two sources: one with many languages of audio tracks, and the other with only English and Japanese, just like OP described. I even considered ripping only the second source, as I was going to study Japanese. I don't know why the disks were set up this way, and would be curious to find out, too.

If I had to wager a guess it has something to do with Japan being part of Region A

ringu0
Feb 24, 2013

Iron Crowned posted:

If I had to wager a guess it has something to do with Japan being part of Region A

Yeah, regional differences would be a good guess

TheMopeSquad
Aug 5, 2013

Gripweed posted:

This is a really petty thing to be annoyed about. But I'm annoyed about it.

You really have to pay attention with Arrow to the differentiation between their nice limited edition boxes and non-limited ones that come in those lovely boxes. I got got the same way when I ordered a Daimaijin set on sale thinking it was a great deal but it was the exact same thing. Then I had to find an actual limited edition set and order it again.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
I have no standing to complain, I ordered more stuff from Arrow's current sale.

Thatoaklandkid
May 21, 2006
Pre-ordered the Second Sight TCM and Picnic at Hanging Rock even though I’m so so on the art on both.
I’m WEAK

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

Cemetry Gator posted:

ringu0 posted:

It's that.

Here's an example:

Two seemingly identical titles:

Title 1 has playlist 801.mpls, and only EN/JP:

Title 2 has playlist 800.mpls, and EN/ES/FR

Everything else looks identical. I googled for it and found a couple sparse reddit posts of people noticing the same thing, and nobody seems to know why it exists this way. One person posted that you can get to the other playlist by setting your blu ray player's menu language to japanese, and then the JP language option shows under languages (along with EN)

No idea why it's separated that way though! Slightly annoying because I bet i have ripped some of the JP ones instead of western languages which would be preferable for my HT purposes. Anyway.

pwn
May 27, 2004

Sort of a soft region lock, in function. Hrm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.
I got all deez at a thrift store:

Cat O' Nine Tails and X are still sealed. Among other things there was a copy of Prince of Darkness, Get Out, and the entire Halloween series. Prince of Darkness and Get out were still sealed too. I also got The Batman ( which was also still sealed) because gently caress it, four bucks. I didn't buy those other things because I have them already (except for every Halloween after III because I don't want them). Looks like someone with a lot of disposable income just got a UHD player. I've been meaning to upgrade to blu-ray for The Thing as well so this was a good score. Very rarely does anyone with taste dump their blu-rays at Savers.