Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!

Palmtree Panic posted:

Outside of the Zeldas and Mario & Luigi, every GB & GBA game on the service can be completed in a few hours.

Bring back short games. Not every game needs to have a loot treadmill or "endgame content/meta"

Yet they all do these days including most of my favorites. Uhh, you might say, just don't play that content? Put it down when you're satisfied

If only it were that easy, friends

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

KingSlime posted:

Bring back short games. Not every game needs to have a loot treadmill or "endgame content/meta"

Yet they all do these days including most of my favorites. Uhh, you might say, just don't play that content? Put it down when you're satisfied

it is if you have the tiniest bit of self control

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

brap posted:

Nintendo Switch Sports is making me irrationally angry because the bowling game requires you to hold the button down through the entire swing. If you let the button go at the end of your swing, sometimes even after the ball has started rolling, it will admonish you and make you do it again.

Wii sports bowling was so straightforward. I honestly don’t know how you gently caress this up on such a basic level.

Can't chuck the joycon through your TV if you're not allowed to release the button

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Kvlt! posted:

it is if you have the tiniest bit of self control

Given that the games and everything else sold in this world is expressly designed to erode any illusion of self control at every turn, the "just don't do it" as an excuse for game design being criticized doesn't fly.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Harriet Carker posted:

I love the audacity Metroid Prime has to let you go so far into the underwater frigate before saying “hey this seems pretty tough you should turn around” and making you slog back out. Can’t even be mad.

It helps that the music there is amazing.

It's very funny, especially because they pretty much point you towards it after you get the ice beam but before you get the gravity suit. It's brilliant game design.

Chieves
Sep 20, 2010

Can you still sequence break / glitch to get the space jump early in Prime Remastered?

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Khanstant posted:

Given that the games and everything else sold in this world is expressly designed to erode any illusion of self control at every turn, the "just don't do it" as an excuse for game design being criticized doesn't fly.

it absolutely does, "i dont want extra content other people might want because I dont have the self control to put it down when its not fun for me" is a p pathetic take.

CRAZY KNUCKLES FAN
Aug 12, 2022

by Fluffdaddy

KingSlime posted:

There's plenty of short games out there.

Spellman
May 31, 2011

Chieves posted:

Can you still sequence break / glitch to get the space jump early in Prime Remastered?

Yes there's a way to do it. Some pretty good clips of sequence breaks have been spotted, I think you need bombs for that one

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Orange Crush Rush posted:

At one point in time, Thardus was the boss of Magmoor Caverns, and Phendrana Drifts's boss was going to be that weird 4 armed beast in the bottom corner here. Wonder if that was supposed to be some Phazon mutated Sheegoth or something. Kraid was supposed to be in the mix as well.

edit: Now that I think of it, I think Kraid was the big boss of Phazon Mines and Omega Pirate was gonna be a miniboss, possibly instead of Cloaked Drone.

Neat, I knew about cut Kraid but never knew about that Sheegoth thing! Metroid's mysteries never end

Big Bizness
Jun 19, 2019

Tender Bender posted:

It's very funny, especially because they pretty much point you towards it after you get the ice beam but before you get the gravity suit. It's brilliant game design.

Happened to me in this playthrough. Didn't mind, it doesn't take too long to get back out. I hung out for a minute at the bottom with fish swimming around in front of my face like that scene in Highlander.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Aw, gently caress, just realized the screen protector I bought is sliiightly shorter than the full OLED screen...although it seems the game doesn't use the full range? I do notice a black border that makes the image stay inside the protector.

On any case I should really have gone for a bit more expensive one than didn't look as generic despite the people claiming it worked on OLED. Lesson learned, I guess.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Spellman posted:

Yes there's a way to do it. Some pretty good clips of sequence breaks have been spotted, I think you need bombs for that one

double bomb jumping up to space jump is really hard and i gave up :(

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

WHY BONER NOW posted:

:confused: you mean you saw the best cutscene in the game (the omega pirate suddenly toppling over and squashing Samus) and you stopped?

I haven't noticed anyone complaining about the artifact hunt at the end of the game...I recall that was a minor point of contention when the game first came out

ExcessBLarg! posted:

"Artifact hunt? Ah screw that. Let's play some Mario Sunshine."

I don't really like the beginning of MP2. You have to go through the Hive and a tour around Temple Grounds, the former a place you have no real reason to ever return to except for a single missile expansion and the latter is a generally forgettable place, being one of the games' two wasteland biomes.

Once you get to Agon and find a portal you'll know if you've played MP2 before or not. I wish they just cut out the first 1-2 hours and started you right at Agon.

No, to clarify, when I originally played, I couldn't beat the omega pirate. He kicked my rear end over and over again. So I put the game down and never finished it.

I beat him that other night, found the last few artifacts, killed Ridley and then finally Metroid Prime itself. I had no problems.

I loving hate Mario Sunshine, though.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Kvlt! posted:

it absolutely does, "i dont want extra content other people might want because I dont have the self control to put it down when its not fun for me" is a p pathetic take.

That's a pretty pathetic take on the complaint. Content isn't extra, it's the content, and there's a finite amount of time and resources they can devote to any given spread of content. Games are also designed to drive you towards different activities, sometimes involving ones you don't want to do or get tired of, towards a goal or end that you do want to do. "Just don't do things" is an absurd reaction to a criticism of the games design, even without trying to tie it into some attempt to insinuate a character flaw.

Open world game design is a very mixed bag and there's plenty of advantages and disadvantages alike to the approach. But sure disliking a map filled with trivial activities thoughtlessly spewed as a very loose effort to curate a certain amount of fairly identical content will be seen by the average player on a normal playthrough is definitely just a weak minded person lamenting their own failure of control when faced with carrot on stick.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Khanstant posted:

That's a pretty pathetic take on the complaint. Content isn't extra, it's the content, and there's a finite amount of time and resources they can devote to any given spread of content. Games are also designed to drive you towards different activities, sometimes involving ones you don't want to do or get tired of, towards a goal or end that you do want to do. "Just don't do things" is an absurd reaction to a criticism of the games design, even without trying to tie it into some attempt to insinuate a character flaw.

Open world game design is a very mixed bag and there's plenty of advantages and disadvantages alike to the approach. But sure disliking a map filled with trivial activities thoughtlessly spewed as a very loose effort to curate a certain amount of fairly identical content will be seen by the average player on a normal playthrough is definitely just a weak minded person lamenting their own failure of control when faced with carrot on stick.

I was responding to the earlier complaint of endgame content/meta content. I agree a game where the meat of the gameplay is boring/trivial sucks, but complaining that games shouldnt have an endgame after the "main part of the game" is done because you cant stop yourself from playing when its not fun anymore is pathetic yes.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Uh oh someone expressed a desire for different games than me, time to vigorously debate whether they are objectively Pathetic for a few pages

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Well that I don't feel strongly about since the only non-mmo game I can think of where the endgame is actually just more main game is Dragon's Dogma and that part of it was incredible.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Whoops it was just a lighthearted comment on my free time vs amount of gaming content I want to get through you guys

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

KingSlime posted:

Whoops it was just a lighthearted comment on my free time vs amount of gaming content I want to get through you guys

Well I owe you an apology then, in hindsight pathetic was probably a harsh word choice.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
All good, yeah I'm not anti-free optional content.

That said I'm not a big fan of loot treadmill as a mechanic for example in games like Nioh 2 where that IS the endgame despite the core gameplay being intense fast action combat. But that's a much more niche example/conversation.

And hey some people do enjoy loot treadmills

whaley
Aug 13, 2000

MY DOODOO IS SPRAYING OUT

Khanstant posted:

this is what i tell my wife when she tells me to stop playing video games all day and get a job

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Sent my 2 joycons in because both sticks were acting like they lost their deadzone and were tracking on the games like they were moving down instead of being centered

Label on 9
Shipped on 11
Received on 15
Sent back on 17

So probably Wednesday 22 before I get them back. Thankfully it only has to go to new York, so not too far

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Who the gently caress can hate the Magmoor/Norfair music, that poo poo's a treat and one of the most memorable songs in Prime.

ExcessBLarg! posted:

I'm trying to figure out if the PC version is worth it given I own the DS version. I know they've patched the PC one a ton, but there's still stuttering maybe?

These days the DS screen is pretty hard on my eyes and I can't be bothered to find a DSi XL or whatever.

PC version was garbage upon release but they actually fixed it so it should be at the same level as the DS version now. Dunno if any issues are still around, but no harm in trying and getting a refund if it's glitchy. Or just emulate the SNES version, that one still holds up.

100YrsofAttitude posted:

Do try Phoenotopia it's a really cute huge adventure that's very cozy and plays nicely handheld. I haven't had any need yet for the difficulty modifiers but I would also say use them because combat is not it's strongest point.

I will always stan for Phoenotopia, it's huge and charming and is basically a modern version of Zelda 2 (right down to a terribly short-ranged melee weapon, though at least you get ranged weapons as you go). If the combat annoys you, there's ton of assist options to make it less terrible, but if you can get past the limitations it can really click between balancing when to attack and heal (the game borrows from Hollow Knight in that different foods take different amounts of time to consume, though you can disable that in the assist mode if you want).

I really should write a full-on review one day, or maybe even a Let's Play or something. I really adore this game and always want to expose more people to it.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

WHY BONER NOW posted:

:confused: you mean you saw the best cutscene in the game (the omega pirate suddenly toppling over and squashing Samus) and you stopped?

I haven't noticed anyone complaining about the artifact hunt at the end of the game...I recall that was a minor point of contention when the game first came out

I accidentally found all but four or I would have been in the thread grumbling

Vile_Nihlist666
Jan 15, 2009

God isn't watching you... but I am!

Spellman posted:

I cannot balance on that loving rock to save my life, and then trying to springball/bombjump from there as well?

I gave up. I am ashamed.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Magmoor is the best jam in Metroid Prime, outside of the title theme.

Also, the area is like one big hallway with a bunch of exits. It's kind of the best and maybe most integral part of Prime.

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"
Completely random, but goddamn Dranius is a really fun shumup and I am glad that this team (they did the Deedlit game and a Touhou Metroidvania) continues to deliver really quality switch ports

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

shmups are da best come play some shmups they're cheap and good and you like them
Plaster Town Cop
Drainus has been well received by shmup fans. A lot of folks think that it's a harbinger of broader changes happening throughout the genre. It's no ballbuster, it might even be too easy, so if you wanna play a shmup that's not arcade hard give it a shot:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Umfaj6GOJMI

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Rolled credits on Metroid Prime Remaster! Had a blast from start to finish. What a fantastic game. First time I've beaten the final boss since my first run on the Triology. Is she easier in the Remaster or did I just get better at the game? Cuz I destroyed her. (Playing on Normal difficulty).

Final stats were 19 hours, 89% item collection 100% scan. I had 200 missiles and didn't bother collecting the rest. I felt that was Enough Missiles.

Really hope they give Prime 2 the same treatment. I would love to play it again with the same control scheme and whatnot!

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Isn't it not out yet? How are people playing it?

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus

Cojawfee posted:

Isn't it not out yet? How are people playing it?

Physical’s not out yet, but digital released on the day of the direct.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro

beer gas canister posted:

Drainus has been well received by shmup fans. A lot of folks think that it's a harbinger of broader changes happening throughout the genre. It's no ballbuster, it might even be too easy, so if you wanna play a shmup that's not arcade hard give it a shot:

I just noticed I received a whopping 2700 gold coins due to some Nintendo online coin doubling promotion I had no idea about and I immediately bought this. Looks great

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

100YrsofAttitude posted:

Wait, not since they were out on the service? Like you mean in your total lived experience? Right?

Since the apps came out lol.

I'll tell you how much each took on time:

Tetris - 1h3m
Gargoyle's Quest - 1h31m
Metroid II - 3h24m
Kirby's Dream Land - 26m
Super Mario Land 2 - 1h10m
Link's Awakening DX - 6h40m
Game & Watch Gallery 3h31m
Wario Land 3 - 7h57m
Alone in the Dark: The New Nightmare - 1h36m

Kuru Kuru Kururin - 1h
Wario Ware - 1h1m
Super Mario Advance 4 - 2h1m (played all levels)
Mario kart Super Circuit - 1h2m

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

beer gas canister posted:

more shmups like this and less bullet hell games imo

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009
whats your definition of completion for tetris

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Dr. Cool Aids posted:

whats your definition of completion for tetris

Mode B level 9 height 5

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
but did you beat extra mode in kirby dream land...

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Silver Falcon posted:

Rolled credits on Metroid Prime Remaster! Had a blast from start to finish. What a fantastic game. First time I've beaten the final boss since my first run on the Triology. Is she easier in the Remaster or did I just get better at the game? Cuz I destroyed her. (Playing on Normal difficulty).
If you've been playing with the twin-stick control scheme, yeah the game is just easier. Being able to free-look without holding down a button and using your movement stick changes the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Silver Falcon posted:

First time I've beaten the final boss since my first run on the Triology.
Both forms of Metroid Prime are easier with modern controls. For the first form being able to dodge/hide with linear strafing (instead of the targeted circle strafing) is helpful. In the second form being able to free aim once you step in a phazon pool instead of having to target first saves a bit of time.

Also for those big battles where's there a lot going on and Metroids spawning and stuff, just being able to see clearer helps a lot over blurry CRTs.

Silver Falcon posted:

Really hope they give Prime 2 the same treatment. I would love to play it again with the same control scheme and whatnot!
It may not be the level of fidelity of the Prime remaster but you can definitely play Primes 2 & 3 in HD with dual-stick controls, and they're great.