Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

Wellwinds posted:

I feel like the reason we haven't seen the rest of CP9 since the cover arc is that they're hostages to secure his cooperation and I hope its the case because it'd bring all the loyalty swaps to pirates of the caribbean 3 levels

If that were the case they wouldn’t have dragged out Kalifa and Blueno for Film Red. Though I guess we haven’t seen Kumadori or Jabura yet, so maybe?

I figure the WG just cut a deal with CP9 in exchange for them joining back up. Maybe something as simple as “if you stop going rogue and come back to us we’ll upgrade you to a cushy CP0 position”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me
Honestly if this all comes down to Lucci causing an international incident because his ego demanded a rematch then that would be the funniest thing yet.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

MechanicalTomPetty posted:

Honestly if this all comes down to Lucci causing an international incident because his ego demanded a rematch then that would be the funniest thing yet.

I do love that all this kicked off because:

Lucci: The guy who beat me has also just beaten Kaido - the strongest creature in the world - in single combat.... but I think I can take him this time! :byodame:

Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

sociopaths are statistically dumber than the average person so it does track

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Jerusalem posted:

I do love that all this kicked off because:

Lucci: The guy who beat me has also just beaten Kaido - the strongest creature in the world - in single combat.... but I think I can take him this time! :byodame:

Honestly king poo poo, maybe not Pirate King poo poo but only a pussy would balk at the idea of fighting someone they had a grudge against because they were one of the top twenty strongest guys in the world.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Hitlersaurus Christ posted:

I figure the WG just cut a deal with CP9 in exchange for them joining back up. Maybe something as simple as “if you stop going rogue and come back to us we’ll upgrade you to a cushy CP0 position”

CP0 has been implied to be the opposite of cushy, and it seems like more of a punishment than an incentive

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Toriko is ftw but too bad the author's other series after it flopped

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Is Toriko the series where eating good food causes your clothes to combust?

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe

hatty posted:

wait is food not supposed to do that on the reg? :confused:

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

This is exactly the kind of behavior he killed Nero for, too (acting against orders out of wounded pride).

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

toriko is that sanji guest manga

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

Lucci should bring some dark justice to the Toriko mangaka

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

hatty posted:

Thats Shokugeki no Souma. Toriko is the one where the higher a monsters power level is, the tastier the ingredients you get from it are

Siliziumleben
Dec 4, 2003

The scientists' findings were astounding! They discovered that the powers of the Metroid might be harnessed for the good of civilization!
oddly enough I remember Toriko less for the gratuitous depictions of people eating exotic foods but because of the crazy rapid pace of power level escalation. it goes so quickly from punching alligators to punching god

Siliziumleben fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Feb 18, 2023

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

How does god taste?

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

ThatBasqueGuy posted:

How does god taste?

It's delicious

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me

Siliziumleben posted:

oddly enough I remember Toriko less for the gratuitous depictions of people eating exotic foods but because of the crazy rapid pace of rapid power level escalation. it goes so quickly from punching alligators to punching god

It pretty incredible, and this is something I feel really needs to be emphasized, how much loving patience Oda must have to keep the power creep in check for so long. We're only just now, in the final arcs of this 20+ year-long manga, getting to a point where Zoro might conceivably stand a chance against Mihawk and Luffy has only just started tapping into his obligatory shounen god-mode powerup (which he was only able to unlock after an absurdly long and grueling fight where he almost/ACTUALLY died more than once); and even that might have some additional strings attached that the cast don't fully understand yet.

In the hands of a lesser author, Luffy would have unlocked his sharingan and blown up the world twice before Marineford even started.

Violen
Jul 25, 2009

ohoho~

Silver2195 posted:

This is exactly the kind of behavior he killed Nero for, too (acting against orders out of wounded pride).

yeah but only because he jobbed

Dammerung
Oct 17, 2008

"Dang, that's hot."

Siliziumleben posted:

oddly enough I remember Toriko less for the gratuitous depictions of people eating exotic foods but because of the crazy rapid pace of power level escalation. it goes so quickly from punching alligators to punching god

This is your daily reminder that God, in Toriko, is a frog with a tongue so long that it can go around the world and lick its own rear end. This gives it catastrophic power.

LanceKing2200
Mar 27, 2007
Brilliant!!

In the hands of a lesser author, Luffy would have unlocked his sharingan and blown up the world twice before Marineford even started.

It's the difference between having the final conclusion of your story partially/mostly planned out, then building to it naturally, and trying to end your series over and over, only for capitalism to rear it's ugly head and force the author to just... make up a new arc, with higher stakes and higher power levels every time.

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

IT'S LIKE I CAN TOUCH YOU!

LanceKing2200 posted:

It's the difference between having the final conclusion of your story partially/mostly planned out, then building to it naturally, and trying to end your series over and over, only for capitalism to rear it's ugly head and force the author to just... make up a new arc, with higher stakes and higher power levels every time.

But enough about Hero Academia....

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN
rank the vegapunk design

1. lilith
2. shaka
3. pythagoras
4. edison
5. stella
6. york
7. atlas

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

tbp posted:

rank the vegapunk design

1. lilith
2. shaka
3. pythagoras
4. edison
5. stella
6. york
7. atlas

Which ones Daft Punk, put that dude at the top of my list

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

White Light posted:

Which ones Daft Punk, put that dude at the top of my list

thats shaka

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

1. lilith - hot babe
2. shaka - daft punk
3. pythagoras - chubby robot
4. edison - other robot
5. stella - bighead main man (big tongue)
6. york - slob
7. atlas - weird red and white overgrown child

in case anyone doesnt wanna look up who is who

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

old man vegapunk
shaka
lilith
edison
york
pythagoras
atlas
young man vegapunk

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Atlas is cool, she looks like a Tezuka character

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Yeah, I don't know why Atlas is at the bottom of these lists. She's cool as heck.

But then again they all are. I don't know who I'd put at the bottom. So I won't make a list.

I was kind of unsure about the 6 Vegapunks when we first met them, but I actually took the time to consider each one while I was theorycrafting about the possible traitor, I think they're all really neat in different ways. York is kind of the odd one out as not much of a character, but she's a very good gag so I'm fine with her.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

1. Atlas
2. Lilith
3. Shaka
4. Vegapunk Prime
5. York
6. Pythagoras
7. Edison

Atlas is cool, I hope she gets to punch somebody before the arc is over.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

I place all of the Vegapunks in a constantly rotating circle, because they're all great.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

agree witht he above poster that they are all loving great, but as a general rule people are going to have personal rankings based on what interests them, so here's mine:

1. Stella - used to have a mega giant skull so he chopped it up and put a drat apple cap on, unparalleled design, Oda is a mega genius
2. Shaka - is basically just Daft Punk which rules
3. Lilith - evil hot girl, obvious red herring for the traitor
4. York - giant hot girl who eats, poops and sleeps for everyone, basically The Dream
5. Atlas - giant Astroboy combat robot
6 & 7. Pythagoras and Edison - similar designs so pretty equally ranked, still great

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
honestly theyre all kind of whatever to me

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

Give me the Birka special

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

White Light posted:

Didn't even call the place "Cravemeat". loving shameful.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

White Light posted:

Latin American culture continues moving north.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
York and Shaka are my favorite, that's my tier list

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

York

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage