Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Ours is even dumber

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

StormDrain posted:

All I want to know is why that outlet is so close to the stove.

Spicy pot-filler.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Johnny Truant posted:

Oh yeah, their 500 dishwasher! :cheersbird:

The 800 was Very Out Of Stock, and when I compared the two it didn't seem like it added all that much so I pulled the trigger on the 500 after checking HD's website daily for like a week and a half.

I am so very close to doing the same for the same reason. The Kitchenaid this place came with just loving sucks at washing dishes, but does a great job of generating smoke if there's a piece of food at the bottom of the tub in contact with the exposed heating element during a dry cycle.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

brugroffil posted:

Ours is even dumber

Ooof. I hate that.

To balance my judgment I'll admit that one of my outlets feels like it's attached to nothing and you have to hold the outlet a little when you unplug something. Also the only GFCIs are the two closest to the sink and I was responsible for it. I just don't use that one loose guy. I'll get to it! I swear!

The Wonder Weapon
Dec 16, 2006

We installed a Bosch 800 a couple weeks back. They didn't have the 500 in stock, but they had an 800 floor model for $700. I've been happy with it, although the drawer layout seems a little wonky. I feel like I'm having trouble getting as many plates, pasta bowls, and soup bowls in as I did in my 20 year old KitchenAid.

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

To quote my uncle, 'I just cant think of enough things to tell those kids not to do'
Humanity will eventually stop progressing at some point, because the amount of things you need to be told not to do will exceed your ability to learn them all within one lifespan

Toebone posted:

I’ve got a crumbly plaster problem too: high traffic area at the top of the staircase, painted wallpaper over plaster. There’s a soft spot in the plaster about 18” square, and the paint/wallpaper has cracked in a few places where it’s gotten bumped into. I’ve tried doing a bit of compound over the cracks and dents, and it looks okay for a bit but eventually gets bumped and cracked again. The wallpaper texture is going to make any cutouts extremely obvious, any thoughts besides hiding everything behind some drywall?

There's videos that show you how to reattach plaster areas that are falling off. The whole sheet of plaster gets broken off from the lath, so it's free-floating. You use some screws with plastic washers to bring the whole thing flush with the wall, then pipe in more plaster to reattach it all. There's plenty of instructions on youtube. If it's really bad I would guess you could just dig out the plaster from that area and re-plaster the whole bare lath? I wouldn't want to do a room like that, but I wouldn't think a couple sq ft would be bad. Maybe this is a terrible idea though; idk.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

We went with a 500 and it was the last version (AFAIK) that didn't come with the top mounted cutlery 3rd rack. I think they all do now?

We really, really like it. In the 5 years we've had it I can probably count on one had the number of times a load didn't come out well and it was always down to operator error. Generally loading things too tight or interfering with a wash arm.

I always use finish power balls and finish rinse aid and they work great together. So much so I'm hesitant trying another brand.

Seriously, good choice on a washer.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Design choice question for both recently posted range hoods: why stop the backsplash at the hood rather than go to the ceiling? Just trying to figure out what our end design is going to look like as we start our kitchen

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
What's the faucet looking thing over the range? Water for fires/fillin' pots?

Tremors
Aug 16, 2006

What happened to the legendary Chris Redfield, huh? What happened to you?!
It's a pot filler for people who say they can't carry a full pot over from their sink. Just don't ask how they manage to drain it.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp
I can't believe that anyone with kids would be foolhardy enough to have a pot filler

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

She was rubbing her ass all over my hands. They don't just do that for everyone.
Grimey Drawer
RE: Outlets immediately next to the range: A lot of older ranges have outlets built into the backsplash/control panel, so next to is probably a bit better.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Tremors posted:

It's a pot filler for people who say they can't carry a full pot over from their sink. Just don't ask how they manage to drain it.

If my son is tall enough to reach over the range or is crawling on the countertop and over the range I think I have other issues to worry about first .

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

slidebite posted:

We went with a 500 and it was the last version (AFAIK) that didn't come with the top mounted cutlery 3rd rack. I think they all do now?

We really, really like it. In the 5 years we've had it I can probably count on one had the number of times a load didn't come out well and it was always down to operator error. Generally loading things too tight or interfering with a wash arm.

I always use finish power balls and finish rinse aid and they work great together. So much so I'm hesitant trying another brand.

Seriously, good choice on a washer.

I can't tell if this photo is a joke or a goof

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Sirotan posted:

I think he posted an unrelated photo of his other stuff going on with the stove

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

BonoMan posted:

What's the faucet looking thing over the range? Water for fires/fillin' pots?

Pot filler.

As a property insurance adjuster, I get hives at the thought of an indoor faucet without an answering drain under it. Madness.

slurm
Jul 28, 2022

by Hand Knit

PainterofCrap posted:

Pot filler.

As a property insurance adjuster, I get hives at the thought of an indoor faucet without an answering drain under it. Madness.

They're meant for commercial kitchens with deck drains right

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

slurm posted:

They're meant for commercial kitchens with deck drains right

They're meant for older people so they don't have to carry a heavy full pot of water from their sink to their stove etc. They're really common in new homes.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

VelociBacon posted:

They're meant for older people so they don't have to carry a heavy full pot of water from their sink to their stove etc. They're really common in new homes.

That one looks too low for my stockpots. Also, as another poster pointed out, how the hell do you get the heavy full pot of hot water back to the drain?

slurm
Jul 28, 2022

by Hand Knit
They're chef larp

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Arsenic Lupin posted:

That one looks too low for my stockpots. Also, as another poster pointed out, how the hell do you get the heavy full pot of hot water back to the drain?

You obviously crank the burner and boil most of it off :science:

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

My building's electric strike stopped remote unlocking. I took it out of the door frame and found this!!

It's a Molex "Micro-Fit" connector. Has anyone installed these? Can I use a d-sub insertion/extraction tool and reuse the wiring (assuming it's still good? I will test w/ multimeter). Maybe I should just buy one of their prefab harnesses and splice it in? As I am writing this post I noticed the little splices tucked into the frame.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

God, I was heading out the door for a meeting and didn't actually mean to post that photo lol - I was replying to the dishwasher comment and WAS going to discuss the GFI outlet location and the backsplash of the angled tile that seems to be the thing now. I guess it attached after all :saddowns:

Yes, as been mentioned repeatedly, just a potfiller.

No children and I agree - having kids with it would probably be something I'd rather not do with it. Luckily, we have no kids but the wife doesn't even like using it. It loving puts out though - the water line going to it must be a 1/4" larger than the kitchen faucet. Probably fills as fast as our bath tub, no joke. Faster than the kitchen sink faucet for sure.. I use it if I am filling the big soup pot or stock pot, but really, we'd be fine without it. I would not pay extra for it, but our builder typically does custom homes and it's kind of the thing he always did, so he had one basically installed before we even bought the home (was 95% finished when we bought).

I use a pretty big stockpot and it fills it no problem. I just measured it and it's about 16-17' from the top burner grates.

Sirotan posted:

E: So total goof. Unless you are making fun of my circa 1988 white porcelain jug with matching ancient/awful nylon cooking utensils or the Costco toaster/kettle? :ohdear:

Ee: you know what I never noticed the outlets weren't symmetric before, until just now. I will say it's kinda handy as it allows me to use the immersion with the left plug. I'm not sure if I could with the right.

slidebite fucked around with this message at 07:52 on Feb 18, 2023

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

brugroffil posted:

Design choice question for both recently posted range hoods: why stop the backsplash at the hood rather than go to the ceiling? Just trying to figure out what our end design is going to look like as we start our kitchen

Best guess: cost/,laziness. But I kinda also think one spot of tile going to the ceiling would look weird... Especially in a high ceiling.

Top of the cabinet might look ok though.

E; God drat edit isn't post.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

brugroffil posted:

The answer is in the name. If you're splashing to the ceiling, something has gone terribly wrong.

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

brugroffil posted:

Didn't want to pay for it and also didn't want to have to deal with the cabinet crown and didn't want to have to mount the vent hood to tile.

3 no's vs it looking good (maybe) means it wasn't worth it.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

We’ve painted a bunch of our trim white but now we’re left with brown solid doors throughout the house. They’re good wood and study so I don’t want to replace them but we’re thinking we’ll paint those white too.

Any thoughts on those Wagner airless sprayers going for $150-200 at Home Depot? Seems like an easier way to take the doors off and quickly paint them but I’ve never used one.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

I have one which I have never used for paint but used for staining our fence, it worked fine. Massive time saver for sure over using a brush on our rough-saw cedar.

Make sure you do it outside in an area where you don't care if there is a bit of overspray, or at least it certainly did with the stain (which is probably thinner than your paint).

I used a wagner power roller for our walls in one of our last homes and that worked quite well too. Less wasted paint for sure.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Also practice practice practice a few times on random stuff before doing it where it counts.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

nwin posted:

We’ve painted a bunch of our trim white but now we’re left with brown solid doors throughout the house. They’re good wood and study so I don’t want to replace them but we’re thinking we’ll paint those white too.

Any thoughts on those Wagner airless sprayers going for $150-200 at Home Depot? Seems like an easier way to take the doors off and quickly paint them but I’ve never used one.

We got one of the Wagner ones that was like 200, and it worked great for spraying a bunch of doors and cabinet doors. Nice finish, easy to use, relatively easy to clean. It's not the same finish you'd get out of a fancier Graco sprayer, but it's far superior to rolling, and honestly, you're probably not gonna prep these doors to a mirror finish surface anyway.

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

I've got one as well and have painted trim and doors with it. Hardest thing is cleaning it honestly.

Also a pretty successful day.

Edit: find the thing I'm still not doing myself

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

nwin posted:

When you say solid I assume you mean not hollow, what does the door look like otherwise? Smooth, six panel, two panel etc?

I'm against spraying unless you're spraying down a whole house. Over spray you gotta mask for and more cleanup of the tool. For a door you should be doing multiple coats and painting all six sides if it's new, but not so important if they're already sealed. So at a minimum you're investing a lot of time to let everything dry so you can flip it, so it doesn't get stuck to the floor or walls or masking or drop cloths.

With all the setup I'd rather just use a mini roller and paint brush.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

StormDrain posted:

When you say solid I assume you mean not hollow, what does the door look like otherwise? Smooth, six panel, two panel etc?

I'm against spraying unless you're spraying down a whole house. Over spray you gotta mask for and more cleanup of the tool. For a door you should be doing multiple coats and painting all six sides if it's new, but not so important if they're already sealed. So at a minimum you're investing a lot of time to let everything dry so you can flip it, so it doesn't get stuck to the floor or walls or masking or drop cloths.

With all the setup I'd rather just use a mini roller and paint brush.

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

I was looking for a pic but I can't find one, but when spraying doors I've screwed a big piece of plywood or 2 2x6s to the bottom, stood them up on a tarp on the driveway and had at it. You can walk around the door easily enough and get all sides.

It's hard to tell if that's a solid core door, but if it is and you like the style, it may be worth sanding and doing a coat of kilz and 2 coats of white that matches the trim.

Mustache Ride fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Feb 19, 2023

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Mustache Ride posted:

I was looking for a pic but I can't find one, but when spraying doors I've screwed a big piece of plywood or 2 2x6s to the bottom, stood them up on a tarp on the driveway and had at it. You can walk around the door easily enough and get all sides.

It's hard to tell if that's a solid core door, but if it is and you like the style, it may be worth sanding and doing a coat of kilz and 2 coats of white that matches the trim.

Thanks for the tip. It is a solid core door. There’s so many loving doors in this house that well probably do exactly that. 11 of them I think.

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Painting that door is a crime against wood

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

I've used the method they show here with both hand rollers and a sprayer to get both sides in the same go. Doing it with the door vertical has a higher likelihood of runs

https://www.familyhandyman.com/list/great-tips-for-painting-doors/

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

nwin posted:

Thanks for the tip. It is a solid core door. There’s so many loving doors in this house that well probably do exactly that. 11 of them I think.

I'd describe it as a six panel solid wood door.

It would look good with wood trim and looks out of place with painted trim. There's no accounting for taste here.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!

Mustache Ride posted:

I've got one as well and have painted trim and doors with it. Hardest thing is cleaning it honestly.

I still don’t understand the right outlet placement

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Mustache Ride posted:

I like the look. Not sure about the round door knobs vs the skinnier handle for the drawers, but that's totally a personal thing.

As for what you're not doing yourself...
The crown?
The light over the sink is not just the bulb? :confused:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

The crown. gently caress crown, I refuse. Gotta find a sucker to install it for me.

Light over sink is another can, plug next to stove has been there since the house was built and it's way too much trouble to move it for no gain.