Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Arrrthritis posted:

I'm a little disappointed that FF4 and FF7 don't have their cids as party members, so I can't pair them up with FF3 and Orlandeau to make an All Cid party

As soon as I found out that Orlandeau was called that I immediately assumed that is the entire reason IV and VII's Cids weren't playable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Genovera
Feb 13, 2014

subterranean
space pterodactyls

Snow Cone Capone posted:

i feel like a total failson because I struggle even with the Medium stages so far

I feel like the notes hitting the rings don't quite line up with the rhythm to press them, but uhh that's probably a Me problem and not a Game problem :(

Do you mean the sound and the visuals don't seem to match? Also, are you playing on TV or handheld switch?

My TV has horrendous audio lag, which has caused issues in this game and in Rock Band, even using maximum in-game audio calibration settings.

I'm not sure if this would be applicable to your setup but our workaround is to plug the sound bar directly into the docked switch via the headphone jack, to completely bypass the TV for the audio. None of the actual TV settings helped.

DrPossum
May 15, 2004

i am not a surgeon
they'll probably have a oops all cids dlc

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Hellioning posted:

As soon as I found out that Orlandeau was called that I immediately assumed that is the entire reason IV and VII's Cids weren't playable.

Should be "Cidolfus"

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

Hellioning posted:

I mean, they're also part of ensemble casts where everyone who made it in over them were more notable characters (barring maybe Red XIII) but yeah, they probably didn't want to have multiple Cids since even denoting them by a Number is already something done with second versions of characters from the Curtain Call DLC characters.

As for why FF3 Cid when he's arguably less of a character then either of them, it's that or acknowledge the nerds from the FF3 DS version, and I can't say they made the wrong choice.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
They had other characters they could have pulled out from FFIII though, like Desch or Doga/Unei.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump
My main sad character exclusion is Sabin. I just want to suplex some dudes :(

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

ApplesandOranges posted:

What are some teams for dealing with the 'half physical damage' stages? My first thought was magic teams, but if they don't get enough triggers then they take too long to get past the early mobs because their damage is even sadder. Then I tried just using physical teams and buffing them as much as possible, but no dice. Then a summon group, but they have the same issue as magic teams. A mix of physical and magic maybe but the early part before you get enough triggers to really start going is still rough.

It's mainly the Zeromus stage I'm stuck on, but I also find it stopping me on missions like 'defeat boss with lightning' and the half physical damage trigger just impedes me from getting to the boss because a team of sad punching mages struggle to even get to the boss.

I'm still experimenting around, but Poison might be worth looking into. Otherwise it's just finding the right mob clearing team comp and then having a boss killer liker Terra or Cloud do the final blow with their boss skills.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
I don't really play rhythm games, but I bought into this thread's hype and got the demo. Game rules

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

gently caress Mystic Quest is all bops

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
I'm at a Distant Worlds show. Which one of you is this?

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Snow Cone Capone posted:

i feel like a total failson because I struggle even with the Medium stages so far

I feel like the notes hitting the rings don't quite line up with the rhythm to press them, but uhh that's probably a Me problem and not a Game problem :(

Possibly column A and column B.

I'd echo the sentiment that often, notes range from "slightly off", to "don't really feel like they are properly synced up to any discernable rhythm at all", although some of the time the rhythm isn't baked into to button presses but rather releases or holds automatically playing part of it, which is strange. This is kinda why I made the remark a few days ago about the game feeling like banging on a trashcan with a stick at times, and I mean that in the worst possible sense, not to try and compare it to Taiko No Tatsujin.

I've played about 5 or 6 hours worth of the switch ver in handheld mode exclusively now, the the point where I can probably get at least an "A" on anything in the game within a few tries, even the level 14+ songs, and it still feels very awkward to me. It's still difficult to do the double analogue stick presses which I will probably always find out of place, even with an actual controller I can hold properly. A lot of the harder songs (like big bridge) just have sequences of button press x 50 in a row at very rapid succession which is lazy and boring, because they are just kinda sporadically placed, rather than consistent. Alternating button presses for hold streams is probably the most mechanically interesting thing in the game. I'm also disappointed that everything doesn't have a supreme level chart. I pretty much have to play harder songs or I feel bored, just due to my experience with the genre.

Still don't particularly like the game, but i'll probably play it some more in hope that once I unlock everything, there will be a handful of charts that I find fun enough to play many times and get good at.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

Arrrthritis posted:

I'm a little disappointed that FF4 and FF7 don't have their cids as party members, so I can't pair them up with FF3 and Orlandeau to make an All Cid party

You've got Cid Raines from XIII though. I think that puts the game at in infuriatingly close number of 3 Cids (FF3 Cid, FFT Orlandeau, & FF13 Cid Raines)

Kongming
Aug 30, 2005

BabyRyoga posted:

Still don't particularly like the game, but i'll probably play it some more in hope that once I unlock everything, there will be a handful of charts that I find fun enough to play many times and get good at.

You complained that the demo felt like poo poo and you still bought the game and plan to unlock everything? You're a real dumbass, dude.

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Kongming posted:

You complained that the demo felt like poo poo and you still bought the game and plan to unlock everything? You're a real dumbass, dude.

Never had the demo, just the game. I went with Switch because this is the kind of game I feel like I would only be interested in playing in portable mode, which, yes, probably turned out to be less than ideal. Maybe I would have skipped it otherwise, I dunno. The best case scenario probably would have been if there was a Steam version because the Steam Deck generally feels WAY better than the Switch as far as portables go, albeit being heavier.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

djfooboo posted:

Good songs, and a game that’s probably still fun for younger kids who want to get into retro RPG’s. I remember it being a little simpler and easier than its contemporaries while still being charming.

faantastic
Dec 31, 2006

that dude.

bloodychill posted:

Good songs, and a game that’s probably still fun for younger kids who want to get into retro RPG’s. I remember it being a little simpler and easier than its contemporaries while still being charming.

I have such fond memories of FFMQ as I asked my parents for Final Fantasy for Christmas and he brought home MQ, not 4 or 6. 10 year old me didn't really know the difference and had an absolute blast, 100% the reason I got hooked on RPGs way back then. Youtube has a bunch of great MQ guitar covers too.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

turning the trigger sound effects off instantly made me better at the game lol
game rules

Hellioning posted:

I'm disappointed that the FFXIV music goes all the way to Eden and doesn't have Return to Oblivion.

never mind poo poo game 0/10

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

faantastic posted:

I have such fond memories of FFMQ as I asked my parents for Final Fantasy for Christmas and he brought home MQ, not 4 or 6. 10 year old me didn't really know the difference and had an absolute blast, 100% the reason I got hooked on RPGs way back then. Youtube has a bunch of great MQ guitar covers too.

My FFMQ story is seeing the end credits to FFVIII, but not being able to afford FFVII because I was a middle schooler. Went to a flea market and saw a FFMQ. I traded the guy some baseball cards for it. Ate that poo poo up.

Fat and Useless
Sep 3, 2011

Not Thin and Useful

djfooboo posted:

My FFMQ story is seeing the end credits to FFVIII, but not being able to afford FFVII because I was a middle schooler. Went to a flea market and saw a FFMQ. I traded the guy some baseball cards for it. Ate that poo poo up.

faantastic posted:

My FFMQ story is my dad bought it for me from a discount hardware store that had just a random rack of used video games. He also got me Mario Paint without the mouse from the same place. Good times.

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Pictured: The Wolf Of Gubbio (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
My first encounter with FFMQ was EGM promoting it as a direct sequel to FFIV. I got it for Christmas that year.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

All I know about MQ is a remix of its battle theme was used in a FFVI romhack. That song rules.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iM5_0fxWSwI

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
The FFVI series missions are rough. Usually they give you a couple easy ones to start one with so you can still use your level 1 babies but they just open with 'deal 2500 magic damage'.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Final Bar Line does not have vocal versions of some of its songs in FFX-2, bumping what is otherwise a 10/10 game down to 1/10. :colbert:

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Let's go do some hero shit!

That FF13-2 Chocobo remix sure is something.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

FFMQ was simple, but great for what it was. Music slapped, gameplay was good enough.

dolphinbomb
Apr 2, 2007

Grimey Drawer

djfooboo posted:

Curtain Call only had Battle 1/2 from MQ, and it always kind of bugged me that they left out Doom Castle, because it loving slaps. I was unreasonably excited to see it in Final Bar Line.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

FireWorksWell posted:

That FF13-2 Chocobo remix sure is something.

You think you can ride this chocobo?

faantastic
Dec 31, 2006

that dude.

Ff14 music question, what's up with good king mog theme? I've only played bits and pieces of MSQ, one day going to tackle the whole thing but very curious on the backstory to the song.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

faantastic posted:

Ff14 music question, what's up with good king mog theme? I've only played bits and pieces of MSQ, one day going to tackle the whole thing but very curious on the backstory to the song.

summons in FF14 tend to be very bad news. good king moggle mog is what you get when a bunch of nostalgia-addled and musically-inclined moogles try to summon something

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022
if it sounds to you like the Moogles are doing their own version of Making Christmas you'd be more or less correct, I feel

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

I said come in! posted:

Final Bar Line does not have vocal versions of some of its songs in FFX-2, bumping what is otherwise a 10/10 game down to 1/10. :colbert:

real emotion is DLC just like the original.

They moved most of the vocal tracks from Curtain Call to DLC, outside of the ones that were EMS in the original game (suteki da ne, 1000 Words, Answers). And new vocal tracks like Apocalyptis Noctis are fine, apparently.

No, I don't know why.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I have a shameful story about FFMQ. In middle school I was spending the night at my neighbor’s house and his friend brought over his copy of the game. I wanted to play it and I accidentally erased his save file, which was right in front of the last boss. I’ve always felt guiltabout that. It was suuuuper easy to overwrite the save.

he pissed his sleeping bag that night.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
i liked how you only had a two-man party in MQ so your teammates would keep leaving and coming back, and every time they returned it was clear they'd been getting stronger during their own adventures

that and every single enemy having different sprites depending on how much damage they'd taken

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

they shouldve replaced all the crystal chronicles tracks with 5-10 more versions of Battle 2, is someone out there nostalgic for this stuff

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Super No Vacancy posted:

they shouldve replaced all the crystal chronicles tracks with 5-10 more versions of Battle 2, is someone out there nostalgic for this stuff

emperor mateus rules

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

it was long, i’ll give it that

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
What's the fastest way to grind? I'm going between getting a very good treasure hunting party (Locke, Zidane, Prompto and I guess Yuffie) and just farming items like crazy so I get a bunch of exp eggs. I've been peanut butter spreading different characters through story mode so I haven't been getting a lot of the quests that involve killing the boss (especially if they have double HP / other buffs), but I got plenty of time to complete those :)

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Let's go do some hero shit!

seiferguy posted:

What's the fastest way to grind? I'm going between getting a very good treasure hunting party (Locke, Zidane, Prompto and I guess Yuffie) and just farming items like crazy so I get a bunch of exp eggs. I've been peanut butter spreading different characters through story mode so I haven't been getting a lot of the quests that involve killing the boss (especially if they have double HP / other buffs), but I got plenty of time to complete those :)

Blinded By Light might be the most xp from what I've run in Basic so far. 4900 xp with 20% xp boost and silver egg.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OneMoreTime
Feb 20, 2011

*quack*

seiferguy posted:

I believe someone else pointed this out earlier, but I can say that the best song I've found for grinding ( at least single characters) has been IN the Theatrhythm Final Fantasy section of Quest mode - Stage J-E-N-O-V-A - TFFAC Arrangement. Three strong physicial attackers is basically guaranteed to get you 3000 xp, and that's before any buffs from summonstones and eggs. From y experience you can get a fairly high amount of drops as well so it's great for grinding cards and attribute ups as well.