Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Alxprit posted:

Curtain Call's XIV rep was all ARR and nothing else so it's free for them to keep all that stuff in even if it overwhelms the rest of the game's representation. It was my first time running into all of that music though, so when I finally did play XIV I could point at the screen and be like I know that one!! Wow!

iirc all of the Heavensward songs are carry-overs from All Star Carnival as well. Honestly I would've liked to see them add more Stormblood and Shadowbringers tracks.

Mega64 posted:

A couple of important notes for Theatrhythm.

First off, there's a chance you get a Black Screen of Death and ruin your save file. I don't think anything's concrete yet, but it seems to be linked to changes without saving with a song. The main culprit seems to be deleting summonstones and then closing the game without playing a song afterward to "save", but someone mentioned it happening after doing the same from unlocking a Feat. So to be safe, always end every session by playing a song and doing nothing else.

Second, it seems the bar charts for FBL are a good chunk behind what they were in CC and the Arcade release. It's suggested to move the delays to -15, but even that may not be enough, and particularly so for certain TVs. This video explains it pretty well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v-Q6VBn8dh0

So if it feels like the notes aren't matching the beats of the songs, that's probably why.

do we know if this happens on the PS4/PS5 version too or just the Switch version? on PS4 I can't say I've noticed a problem though I'm not as musically inclined as others

Augus fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Feb 19, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
I haven't finished unlocking/grinding everyone yet, but of the ones that I have:

Rinoa: Learns Enfire/blizzard/thunder, amplifying the damage of all the associated elements of the party. In addition, her unique Angel Wing further strengthens magic attacks for the party across the board. Really great magical support especially if you're building around a specific element.

Y'shtola #2: Has Enaero for a Wind team; goes fine with Cloud for that reason. Her unique Spiritual Ray is a big nuke on the second battle, which can be specifically helpful for rushing to a boss fight or if you know a troublesome enemy is up second. Learns wind magic of all flavours, Holy for a mid-song nuke (note that it's not Wind, so doesn't benefit from Enaero, but being non-elemental means it'll almost always be unresisted), and some healing if you need it. Isn't an all-star but is decently useful.

Red XIII: strong immediate buffer thanks to Howling Moon (party Str/Agi+60 in exchange for taking more damage). Also has Cheer for more physical buffing, or Sacrifice to up his attack power even higher. The rest of his skillset isn't amazing so you can teach him a utility for the third slot. Pretty nice for helping weaklings through a stage just for the strong immediate buff.

Noctis/Aranea: only noted because their 'boss killer' attack can be used multiple times per stage, unlike most characters who can only do it once. May be worth considering on stages with multiple bosses.

Gladiolus: If you just need to survive a high difficulty stage, Gladio has lots of defense. Elegy/Mighty Guard reduce damage taken, and his unique Royal Shield further reduces damage taken at the cost of 100 Str (not a big deal if you don't care about killing enemies, just surviving). Also has Blind if you find the opening of a stage very rough.

Rosa: has a very weird skillset. Has Poison to weaken the first couple battles, Holy for a mid-song nuke, can pack Stona and Toad to get around some annoying afflictions. Her unique Miracle heals the party and weakens the boss' magic defense when it appears, ensuring you've got an exposed boss for a magic team.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

faantastic posted:

Ff14 music question, what's up with good king mog theme? I've only played bits and pieces of MSQ, one day going to tackle the whole thing but very curious on the backstory to the song.

Musically it's based on the Moogle Jingle that first showed up in FF5 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jv1mq5JTSbA&t=31s and is a medley of various moogles talking themselves up and celebrating their King. Stories over the years have varied (probably for legal reasons) about how much of an influence This is Halloween played. Definitely not zero, but I don't think it started out intending to copy or anything.

Story-wise as of ARR the Twelvesguard, moogles tasked with defending mooglekind and the Wood in general, have gotten scared enough by the Imperial invasion attempts to try and summon the legendary hero who saved everyone in the past when a war in the heavens threatened the moogles as bystanders. I don't know what the 1.0 story was, information from back then is difficult to come by and easy to get mixed up with later things. It might be the same thing either bumped forward in the timeline or "they're doing it again, kupo!"

History-wise back in the 1.0 days they were working on Leviathan and Titan when the 2011 earthquake/tsunami hit Japan. Those were delayed in favor of something bouncier and sillier.

Bruceski fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Feb 19, 2023

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

Augus posted:

iirc all of the Heavensward songs are carry-overs from All Star Carnival as well. Honestly I would've liked to see them add more Stormblood and Shadowbringers tracks.

do we know if this happens on the PS4/PS5 version too or just the Switch version? on PS4 I can't say I've noticed a problem though I'm not as musically inclined as others

The guy in the video said he has the PS4 version and the issue is the exact same there.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
I’m actually stuck trying to figure out a team comp for lots of enemy kills at the moment, since ffxiv quest asking for 9 kills for a relatively short song, so my usual teams that eventually ramp up in strength not really working out for me. It might also just be a matter of just grinding up stats, but I’m trying to figure out something before I go with the stat grinding option.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Abilities that activate based on time/waves like Holy, Brawler, or Galuf/Y'shtola's uniques might help.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
Well I solved that by way of Yuna’s summoning in the first turn, at least for that stage anyways. Now to finally pull out Aranea and maybe Noctis for this kill two bosses one lol.

EDIT: Figured that out too. Garland and Aranea are a good combo if you want to kill multiple bosses.

Allarion fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Feb 19, 2023

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Man XV's music is so good. Part of me is still bummed that we never got to see Nomura's version of that game

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

That's what Kingdom Hearts 4+ is for, baby

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I thought it was weird they included Ifrit's theme for XV but then you only get to hear like a third of it

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

oh my god the Gold Saucer chart is so fast

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Arist posted:

oh my god the Gold Saucer chart is so fast

There are a few songs that I will save as a surprise for you, but they are even faster! Gold Saucer is slow in comparison. xD

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

BabyRyoga posted:

Possibly column A and column B.

I'd echo the sentiment that often, notes range from "slightly off", to "don't really feel like they are properly synced up to any discernable rhythm at all", although some of the time the rhythm isn't baked into to button presses but rather releases or holds automatically playing part of it, which is strange. This is kinda why I made the remark a few days ago about the game feeling like banging on a trashcan with a stick at times, and I mean that in the worst possible sense, not to try and compare it to Taiko No Tatsujin.

I've played about 5 or 6 hours worth of the switch ver in handheld mode exclusively now, the the point where I can probably get at least an "A" on anything in the game within a few tries, even the level 14+ songs, and it still feels very awkward to me. It's still difficult to do the double analogue stick presses which I will probably always find out of place, even with an actual controller I can hold properly. A lot of the harder songs (like big bridge) just have sequences of button press x 50 in a row at very rapid succession which is lazy and boring, because they are just kinda sporadically placed, rather than consistent. Alternating button presses for hold streams is probably the most mechanically interesting thing in the game. I'm also disappointed that everything doesn't have a supreme level chart. I pretty much have to play harder songs or I feel bored, just due to my experience with the genre.

Still don't particularly like the game, but i'll probably play it some more in hope that once I unlock everything, there will be a handful of charts that I find fun enough to play many times and get good at.

The super close presses are meant to be multiple buttons. Like bounce between triggers or trigger/button very quickly. There is a crazy crazy one (I think a Ff4 supreme track) that has like… 4 button simultaneous presses that seems impossible

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
Now I’m stuck figuring out how to take out gaius and ultima weapon, where either Gaius or the 3rd wave can stall you long enough that you don’t have the time to kill Ultima Weapon, and Gaius already eats all your boss nukes earlier. Also they like to make you blind so you end up needing to slot someone to cure blindness if you’re going all physical.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Failboattootoot posted:

I was more complaining about the arr fight music. The land breathes, nemesis and hard to miss were never particularly good. Not sure who is real attached to Engage either. Primal Judgement has always been kinda lousy and I could do without good king moogle mog which is a fun meme but I usually skip it when it comes up on my music playlist. A light in the storm also terrible but this forum in general inexplicably loves it so maybe its me and not the kids who are wrong on that one.

A Light in the Storm is the only good ARR deep cut on there imo, to me that's the from the era where the game really started to figure out what it's aesthetics were. No Maker's Ruin baffles me though, it's literally the main character's theme song!

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

YoshiOfYellow posted:

They picked the wrong Heavensward boss theme.

Revenge Twofold is the far superior song to Ominous Prognisticks.

Revenge Twofold is probably one of the top tracks I'd choose for some sort of "main FF14 theme" (maybe tied with something like Maker's Ruin).

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I think it's gotta be "Torn from the Heavens"

And this version should have been in it
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N89M-Mu0UdA

Also this version
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lWtVj3OnCPc

CharlieFoxtrot fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Feb 19, 2023

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

Should I get this on my Switch or PS5? I don't really play the switch undocked so that doesn't matter. I'd just pick it up on the Switch but if load times are worse of whatever, I'd rather play it on the PlayStation

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

biceps crimes posted:

Should I get this on my Switch or PS5? I don't really play the switch undocked so that doesn't matter. I'd just pick it up on the Switch but if load times are worse of whatever, I'd rather play it on the PlayStation

Get the demo, see how it runs.

DrPossum
May 15, 2004

i am not a surgeon
Replaying FFIV PR

Theory: Anna didn't die and just got a new boyfriend. The sahagin you fight in Kaipo when her "ghost" appears is just her new boyfriend in a costume so she can get you off her back.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Theatrhythm is an excellent video game, and I am shocked— SHOCKED— I didn’t play the others. Fantastic!

OneMoreTime
Feb 20, 2011

*quack*

biceps crimes posted:

If you ignore portability, then go with Playstation. Both versions run the same except for slightly longer load times on the Switch. People also have complained that the Joycons are a bit of a pain to use with this game, so if you don't find those comfortable in the first place that could also be another reason to go with the PS4/PS5.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
I'm still stuck on Ultima Weapon, but I did learn that teaching Ruin to your casters + Bartz might be worth it just cause it's a non-elemental spell that procs off of every type of trigger for those songs that just don't have enough of a trigger type for thunder or blizzard. Also probably worth teaching to Onion Knight and Ace too since it would pair well with their reduce trigger use skills.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

DrPossum posted:

Replaying FFIV PR

Theory: Anna didn't die and just got a new boyfriend. The sahagin you fight in Kaipo when her "ghost" appears is just her new boyfriend in a costume so she can get you off her back.

Finally, more dead beat moms in games

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Barudak posted:

Finally, more dead beat moms in games

Divorce is tough.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

ApplesandOranges posted:

real emotion is DLC just like the original.

They moved most of the vocal tracks from Curtain Call to DLC, outside of the ones that were EMS in the original game (suteki da ne, 1000 Words, Answers). And new vocal tracks like Apocalyptis Noctis are fine, apparently.

No, I don't know why.

Oh, are we getting Answers and Dragonsong as DLC?

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Answers is there when you complete the FFXIV series quest, as the EMS for FFXIV. Don't think Dragonsong is in the game.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
Gonna assume the TBA announced DLC packs will be Endwalker and FF16 until proven otherwise

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Allarion posted:

Now I’m stuck figuring out how to take out gaius and ultima weapon, where either Gaius or the 3rd wave can stall you long enough that you don’t have the time to kill Ultima Weapon, and Gaius already eats all your boss nukes earlier. Also they like to make you blind so you end up needing to slot someone to cure blindness if you’re going all physical.

Thancred has Blindna, he's not the best physical guy ever but he's enough.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Augus posted:

Man XV's music is so good. Part of me is still bummed that we never got to see Nomura's version of that game

It made me remember how fuckin good Hellfire is

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

DrPossum posted:

Replaying FFIV PR

Now now, you have no way of knowing that!

He could be a real sahagin and it's a The Shape of Water kind of deal

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

Ventana posted:

The guy in the video said he has the PS4 version and the issue is the exact same there.

A key thing if you’re playing on PS is that if you use a PS headset or plug headphones into the controller, the timing gets a lot easier and closer to zero. If you’re running through speakers and have some combo of a receiver and other HDMI stuff and a TV with lag, chances are that -15 will probably be the most optimal setting. I learned this back when the Patapon remasters came out and plugging headphones into the controller was the only way to play since there was no way to configure a manual delay.

bloodychill fucked around with this message at 04:35 on Feb 20, 2023

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
I finally managed to beat Ultima Weapon with a super specific setup of Exdeath, Shantotto, Aphmau, and Terra, with Alexander, and even then it was super close with a last second aeroga from Shantotto and only worked on the basic notechart. The expert notechart kept having Exdeath casting his meteor too soon, while I'm not quite good enough to perfectly do the ultimate notechart. I suspect the ultimate notechart could have worked since you output so much more damage on it due to the excess of triggers but hard to say.

It's possible a physical team could have powered their way through, but I always kept getting stalled by Gaius or the 3rd wave before I could really do any damage to Ultima weapon though. Anyways, poison is still a secret MVP for magic teams so usually worth slotting in for specific quests.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

bloodychill posted:

A key thing if you’re playing on PS is that if you use a PS headset or plug headphones into the controller, the timing gets a lot easier and closer to zero. If you’re running through speakers and have some combo of a receiver and other HDMI stuff and a TV with lag, chances are that -15 will probably be the most optimal setting. I learned this back when the Patapon remasters came out and plugging headphones into the controller was the only way to play since there was no way to configure a manual delay.

Depends on how you have it set up. I originally had my ps5 plugged into the tv and than the audio from the tv going to the receiver via arc and the delay was much more than -15 and the game was unplayable. I only had it set up that way cuz the receiver was old and only output at 1080p. Figured it was time to get a new one so have it set up so the ps5 signal passes through the receiver and the delay is much more tolerable. Make sure to set the sound field on your receiver to something simple like multi channel stereo or whatever, something that doesnt require a lot of processing similar to putting the tv into game mode. Helps a bunch. Have my delay set at -3 like this and it's near enough perfect.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

How do chests work, is it just random when they drop? Every 'get X number of chests' quest has been a 3 star difficulty then I get 1 the whole song no matter how well I do.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

fridge corn posted:

Depends on how you have it set up. I originally had my ps5 plugged into the tv and than the audio from the tv going to the receiver via arc and the delay was much more than -15 and the game was unplayable. I only had it set up that way cuz the receiver was old and only output at 1080p. Figured it was time to get a new one so have it set up so the ps5 signal passes through the receiver and the delay is much more tolerable. Make sure to set the sound field on your receiver to something simple like multi channel stereo or whatever, something that doesnt require a lot of processing similar to putting the tv into game mode. Helps a bunch. Have my delay set at -3 like this and it's near enough perfect.

That’s good to know. I’ll muck with my receiver tomorrow and see if it helps.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
It's based off luck and kills, so you want a solid mix of damage dealers and high luck. Zidane and Fran also have skills that boost chest appearance rates. Field maps have the additional need to have decent agility to get to the next enemy sooner too.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Sakurazuka posted:

How do chests work, is it just random when they drop? Every 'get X number of chests' quest has been a 3 star difficulty then I get 1 the whole song no matter how well I do.

Randomly dropped from enemies. Some characters (usually Hunter types) and summonstones will have passives that increase chest drop %. Alternatively a group that can just run fast and kill enemies fast can just try to get item drops through sheer quantity.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.
Whew the poo poo they ask you to do once you get past 10 difficulty is fuckin nonsense. Also nonsense is every song in the theatrythm series of quests.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Paine has surprisingly high strength if you need someone to use Ice phys a bunch