Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

Man, sometimes that's the only way to get through having to eat a meal with your loving family.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

disposablewords posted:

Man, sometimes that's the only way to get through having to eat a meal with your loving family.

Plus if Jod hadn't done that, it would have robbed us of Mercymorn's gloriously psychotic meltdown on the subject.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Everyone posted:

Plus if Jod hadn't done that, it would have robbed us of Mercymorn's gloriously psychotic meltdown on the subject.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pvJOuUJNcx8

Decon
Nov 22, 2015

God fuckin drat do I want to see Waititi as Jod.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.
Got handed this video and thought of this thread for some strange unknown reason.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lXKDu6cdXLI

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

neongrey posted:

Got handed this video and thought of this thread for some strange unknown reason.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lXKDu6cdXLI

Even cows listen to jazz as they look at sunsets.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

excellent

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

sebmojo posted:

Also he's really really sorry (but would absolutely do it again in a heartbeat lol)

he has his goons murder planets on the reg to starve Beasts, or because they resisted too hard, or because nobody resisted hard enough lately but John darn it they need a thanergy depot somewhere in this sector and this living planet is as good as any

the first one is fair enough but the Empire of the Nine Houses is nightmarish

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

also he wouldn't need to do the second or third things if not for his insane ten thousand year vendetta

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse
Some more amazing cosplay from Katsucon...including more :swoon:Babs:swoon:

Also one Hell of an Alecto

https://www.reddit.com/r/TheNinthHouse/comments/119kyb7/another_successful_locked_tombfoolery_meetup_at/

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Pretty good movie from what I assume is that meetup:
https://www.tumblr.com/kelly-kirstein/704360218152288256/i-had-the-best-time-at-the-locked-tomb-meetup-at

Decon
Nov 22, 2015

:lmao: Nona and Ianthe are both great

Zierham
Dec 17, 2004
"Put something in otherwise you get stupid newbie"
So I honestly didn't realize that SA still existed until I dashed through GtN/HtN/NtN over the past couple of weeks and started digging through google for theories/explanations/things-I-missed last week after finishing NtN. Hellow fellow goons that I had just blithely assumed had disappeared into time! Holy poo poo, this series is amazing, and having now devoured the entire 59 pages of this thread I am in awe of the accurate (and even inaccurate) predictions of folks back before NtN released as to stuff that is now (sort of) explained. Anyway, just dropping in to share my intense love of the material and appreciation for you folks for helping me make extra sense of it (now mid GtN in a first-reread). If anyone somehow is reading this but hasn't yet read Gideon, just do it; it's not terribly long and [you will think] it makes pretty good sense on its own [until it doesn't because HtN/NtN].

Like many of you, who have waited far longer than I, I now join you in anxiously awaiting AtN and I will just say (echoing some others here) - NtN spoiler: the "biblical" speak at the very end of NtN might be amusing for a little bit but I sincerely hope it isn't the majority of AtN... but I also will trust Tamsyn Muir to do whatever she wants and hope it continues to astound, just like how HtN and NtN "shouldn't" have been my cup of tea but so, very much, were.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Google Jeb Bush posted:

he has his goons murder planets on the reg to starve Beasts, or because they resisted too hard, or because nobody resisted hard enough lately but John darn it they need a thanergy depot somewhere in this sector and this living planet is as good as any

the first one is fair enough but the Empire of the Nine Houses is nightmarish

Yeah you really need to keep reminding yourself that They Are the Baddies because they are all just so charming lol

Zierham
Dec 17, 2004
I will say, the part in NtN where Jod had said that G1deon was killed after the other nukes were launched, then says the opposite and Harrow-as-Alecto is like "I thought you said..." and he's just like "Did I? It doesn't matter" made me doubt essentially all of everything he said. Like, he might be copping to some poo poo but he's still definitely gaslighting and playing everything in the best light he can... Yes, I murdered EVERYONE, but it was [justification here]... some of what he's saying might be true, but it seems like he's just as easily lying to himself and/or Alecto to make his crimes/sins seem less than they are. I expect he did the worst of what you might surmise from his confessional, but also he's probably still very much retconning it. I expect the objective truth of what he did trends a LOT MORE towards unjustifiable genocide than his apologists in this thread may believe. Absent that, I can at least understand (if not support) how he got to Killing Everything, but I think this is still in Unreliable Narrator territory and it's far far worse than it sounds [even though it sounds REALLY BAD] .

I also appreciate Ianthe as an amusing character even if I dislike her deep down... but I don't necessarily understand the hate she gets for saving Jod... as others have noted, the information known to her [at least as we know it] in HtN means she thinks that by saving him she's saving the Nine Houses (and, perhaps most importantly, her twin sister) from imminent death. WE may understand [intuitively or otherwise] that John is Bad, but she's been raised in a world where necromancy has no baggage attached to it, so I can't remotely fault her for saving him. Subsequent revelations (her seeking out BoE to talk about a Queen, etc.) may implicate that she had better knowledge than established and her decision is less defensible, but as far as what we know she knows, I can't really fault it even if Gideon clearly does [maybe with the benefit of AtN hindsight] and the general expectation that John is a Bad Dude and helping him is probably Not Going To End Well.

Prediction/spoiler based on Tamsyn Muir interview quotes I do think Tamsyn Muir's statements in interviews that Ianthe is AWFUL [in her general Ianthe way] in AtN _plus_ that the twins vie for final Worst Twin status means Corona has to take a hard heel turn... she's been pretty fluid, being ineffectual but gross/weird in GtN where her only concern is that Ianthe didn't eat her, then turning around to actually be... helpful?... in NtN, but the interviews seem to suggest she's only going downhill from there in AtN. Curious to see where it goes, but simultaneously annoyed at Spoilers? I am intruiged/bothered by the friendship bracelet thing... based on interviews, I get the "cheeseburger" versus "fries and soda" part of Gideon's soul thing suggests Kiriona isn't Full Gideon, but I hope there's some satisfying resolution to why Gideon is palling around with Ianthe and Jod. If it's just "Oh, Gideon is a different person when surrounded by her Jad and someone else who "appreciates" her [sure, lets pretend THAT could describe Ianthe...]" I don't think It'll land for me, but - again - trust to Tamsyn Muir... I'm still hoping the portion of Gideon that Hartrow ate but didn't digest has been returned by the kiss at the end of NtN and we'll get Full On Gideon in AtN. Or maybe she's playing Ianthe? I don't know, I just want to square Gideon's recitation that Ianthe saving Jod was the "worst" possible thing she could have done with Gideon* showing up in NtN apparently besties with her

Also, did I miss something about why (GtN Spoiler) Gideon apparently despises the Fourth House teens in GtN? Like is it just jokey "TEENS SUCK" energy (from a nearly-teen herself) or is there something about them that is lovely? They're referred to pejoratively throughout GtN without any real explanation other than the Fourth House seems kinda obsessed with suicide-by-necrowar and - again - they're teens. I'm in my 30s so if its just meant to be "ugh, TEENAGERS" then that's fine, but making sure I didn't miss something else? Obviously Gideon seems to care for them by the time they get boned later in GtN, but I still couldn't really understand the "awful teens" lingo throughout...?

Reclaimer
Sep 3, 2011

Pierced through the heart
but never killed

Zierham posted:

Also, did I miss something about why (GtN Spoiler) Gideon apparently despises the Fourth House teens in GtN? Like is it just jokey "TEENS SUCK" energy (from a nearly-teen herself) or is there something about them that is lovely? They're referred to pejoratively throughout GtN without any real explanation other than the Fourth House seems kinda obsessed with suicide-by-necrowar and - again - they're teens. I'm in my 30s so if its just meant to be "ugh, TEENAGERS" then that's fine, but making sure I didn't miss something else? Obviously Gideon seems to care for them by the time they get boned later in GtN, but I still couldn't really understand the "awful teens" lingo throughout...?

The only teenager that Gideon has ever known in her entire life is Harrowhark.

DreamingofRoses
Jun 27, 2013
Nap Ghost

Zierham posted:

(GtN Spoiler) Gideon apparently despises the Fourth House teens in GtN? Like is it just jokey "TEENS SUCK" energy (from a nearly-teen herself) or is there something about them that is lovely? They're referred to pejoratively throughout GtN without any real explanation other than the Fourth House seems kinda obsessed with suicide-by-necrowar and - again - they're teens. I'm in my 30s so if its just meant to be "ugh, TEENAGERS" then that's fine, but making sure I didn't miss something else? Obviously Gideon seems to care for them by the time they get boned later in GtN, but I still couldn't really understand the "awful teens" lingo throughout...?

If you haven’t listened to the audiobooks give them a try, the vocal tones convey a lot of emotion.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

They are just awful, that's just how it is

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Zierham posted:

I also appreciate Ianthe as an amusing character even if I dislike her deep down... but I don't necessarily understand the hate she gets for saving Jod... as others have noted, the information known to her [at least as we know it] in HtN means she thinks that by saving him she's saving the Nine Houses (and, perhaps most importantly, her twin sister) from imminent death. WE may understand [intuitively or otherwise] that John is Bad, but she's been raised in a world where necromancy has no baggage attached to it, so I can't remotely fault her for saving him. Subsequent revelations (her seeking out BoE to talk about a Queen, etc.) may implicate that she had better knowledge than established and her decision is less defensible, but as far as what we know she knows, I can't really fault it even if Gideon clearly does [maybe with the benefit of AtN hindsight] and the general expectation that John is a Bad Dude and helping him is probably Not Going To End Well.

Yeah, this for me. Maybe at that point Gideon wasn't totally aware of what Jod dying would mean, but Ianthe certainly was.

And it's not really about saving the Nine Houses. It's about saving every man, woman and child that lives in the system, which as far as we can tell contains the large majority of what is now human civilization. Saving Jod at that point isn't about supporting him or approving of his action (though presumably Ianthe does both of those things). It's about keeping most of the rest of the human species alive.

Reclaimer
Sep 3, 2011

but never killed

Everyone posted:

And it's not really about saving the Nine Houses. It's about saving every man, woman and child that lives in the system, which as far as we can tell contains the large majority of what is now human civilization. Saving Jod at that point isn't about supporting him or approving of his action (though presumably Ianthe does both of those things). It's about keeping most of the rest of the human species alive.

I mean, it's more explicit later but most of the human species is not in fact in the Nine Houses, but spread out across the universe living under the promise of aggression by the Nine Houses. Getting rid of the Nine=liberation from the genocidal oppression of Immortal Magic Elon Musk. The Cohort are literal jackbooted thugs and for the most part the Houses exist to feed that war machine.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

(sits up on throne of bones inside ship powered by literal blood magic heading to suck the life out of an entire planet) Am I the baddie?!

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
They're awful teens because mostly because Gideon, a teen, doesn't want little kids at the big kids table, is how I read it.

shelley
Nov 8, 2010

Kesper North posted:

They're awful teens because mostly because Gideon, a teen, doesn't want little kids at the big kids table, is how I read it.

this is how I read it as well

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

shelley posted:

this is how I read it as well

Gideon is not a nuanced judge of character

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse
Gideon is an awful teen in denial

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

If there's one thing a lovely teen cannot abide, above all else, it's a slightly younger lovely teen.

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

sebmojo posted:

They are just awful, that's just how it is

list of awful things: teens, tinies

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

Gideon's goal in life was to be on the front lines, and the Fourth House is all about sending kids to the front lines before they're three quarters of Gideon's age, so jealousy could be a contributing factor.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

They’re also gossipy weirdos who hang out with the Fifth and talk about how cool it’ll be when they’re in the Cohort. I’m sure Gideon, who knows a total of one person her own age going in, was thrilled to be around them.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Yeah it's half normal teens finding slightly younger teens cringey and half Gideon being an absolute social mess due to the ninth house having only one other person her age

Decon
Nov 22, 2015

Harold Fjord posted:

Yeah it's half normal teens finding slightly younger teens cringey and half Gideon being an absolute social mess due to the ninth house having only one other person her age

And the ninth house being, itself, a social mess.

It's a remote hellhole that never should have existed in the first place populated primarily by exiles and weirdos, and the Eighth's hate for them is arguably justified.

Yeah raise an orphan in that environment. She'll totally come out normal and well adjusted.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
I started relistening to GtH, and had never caught the "studied the blade" and the one piece reference in the same sentence

Zierham
Dec 17, 2004

Decon posted:

And the ninth house being, itself, a social mess.

It's a remote hellhole that never should have existed in the first place populated primarily by exiles and weirdos, and the Eighth's hate for them is arguably justified.

Yeah raise an orphan in that environment. She'll totally come out normal and well adjusted.

That's fair - Gideon is hilarious so as much as it may be easy to see her relationships generally as having issues, I guess I kind of gloss it for more "background" stuff like this. Just wasn't sure if I was missing something beyond the general age and whinging! Noooo, don't say we're whinging!

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

Gideon probably would've come out a lot better adjusted if it wasn't for the, y'know, sudden deaths of all her peers as a child.

mewse
May 2, 2006

disposablewords posted:

Gideon probably would've come out a lot better adjusted if it wasn't for the, y'know, sudden deaths of all her peers as a child.

eh yeah but all those souls were still there so it’s fine

Zierham
Dec 17, 2004
But this just means all 200 of her peers hated and bullied her :(

Also, its explicitly said that Ortus is among the total-of-200 but doesn't die, right? So Harrow actually is 1 [herself] +199 souls? I vaguely remember they keep saying she has 200 dead kids inside of her or otherwise referencing genociding 200 but isn't that off by 1 cause Ortus' mom intervened to make sure he wasn't killed?

Reclaimer
Sep 3, 2011

but never killed

Zierham posted:

But this just means all 200 of her peers hated and bullied her :(

Also, its explicitly said that Ortus is among the total-of-200 but doesn't die, right? So Harrow actually is 1 [herself] +199 souls? I vaguely remember they keep saying she has 200 dead kids inside of her or otherwise referencing genociding 200 but isn't that off by 1 cause Ortus' mom intervened to make sure he wasn't killed?

Ortus was barely too old.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
Out of 201 under the age of 19 the survivors were Gideon (just shy of age 2) and "one older boy". Ortus would have been 17 at the time so it's probably him they're referring too.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Does brain burned fantasy harrow know about the nerve gas? She doesn't, does she?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reclaimer
Sep 3, 2011

but never killed

M_Gargantua posted:

Out of 201 under the age of 19 the survivors were Gideon (just shy of age 2) and "one older boy". Ortus would have been 17 at the time so it's probably him they're referring too.

Ortus is 35 in GtN isn't he? And Gideon is 18, making him 17 years older. If Gideon was 2 then Ortus was 19.