Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

The toys themselves were pretty bad while the show was airing too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Kai is good regardless of what you're watching. I love his weasely voice in the dub.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

https://twitter.com/SpacyLuna/status/1624295167350960128?s=20

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Tae posted:

What always fucks me up is that the Nu Gundam is bigger than the ZZ

I mean have you seen the sazabi/nightingale

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Here's a must-watch. Someone made a cardboardcraft of the RB-79 Ball, and they even gave it movable arms. :swoon: The engineering to figure out the dimensions for each individual part is seriously impressive. Also, they must've used some sturdy cardboard if it can support a full-grown man's weight.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Kanos posted:

All the ZZ suits are built loving huge. The Gallus J and Dreissen are random grunts and they're absolute units. Suits like the Hamma Hamma and the Doven Wolf are nearing the size of the Sazabi. Even the Zaku III towers over the Zeta by a full meter.

Basically the only units in ZZ that aren't giant chonkers are stuff like the Gaza-D(which is an up-jumped Gaza-C with a paintjob) and the Bawoo for some reason.

The Dreissen and Doven Wolf make sense, at least. The former was a next-gen take on the Dom, so it was the same sort of tough, beefy heavy assault suit. The latter was literally a baby Psyco Gundam. In some ways, ZZ was actually an era of consolidation in mobile suit design, bridging the gap between huge mobile armours and tiny mobile suits. See also the Jamru Fin, which was like an even more compact take on the Zeta, and the Qubeley Mass Production Type, which was a synthesis of the original Qubeley and the gigantic Quin-Mantha.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
The weirdest bit about the Jamru Fin to me is that it's listed as being developed from the Big Zam of all loving things in data books. I don't know that I think the Zeta comparison is great, but it's certainly a lot more valid than Big Zam. I suspect supplementary staff tied the two together purely because of the mega particle cannon the Jamru Fin has in the center of it's body.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

amigolupus posted:

Here's a must-watch. Someone made a cardboardcraft of the RB-79 Ball, and they even gave it movable arms. :swoon: The engineering to figure out the dimensions for each individual part is seriously impressive. Also, they must've used some sturdy cardboard if it can support a full-grown man's weight.

That rules! Way better than Nintendo Labo.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Was there rampant drug use going on among the Mobile Suit Gundam crowd? Because some of this space arc is just bananas. The entire Side Six pair of episodes is bananas. Amuro's dad, floaty space lady flying through zero g and flashing everybody, the bridge crew awkwardly staring at Cameron and Mirai's domestic, followed by that American coming in and doing an actual domestic, wtffff -- how did Noa not court martial the guy?

It's good bananas, in the sense that it's wildly entertaining, but still bananas.

I love that the explosions are getting increasingly lurid, as are the space ship designs. Just decking out the stealth craft in pink and yellow.

Also did I miss the payoff to the subplot with glasses lady and her space ship that randomly drops half of its chassis? (Also wild that Side Three decided that, hey, you know what would be good design? A ship that drops its tail like a bisected skink.)

Anyway, it's absolutely loving wild, and incredibly watchable.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Sleggar is great and Mirai flips off her fiance.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Arc Hammer posted:

Sleggar is great

Eh, he's a piece of poo poo attached to an amazing perma :smug: face design.

Arc Hammer posted:

Mirai flips off her fiance.

This owned.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Sleggar makes more sense when you hear he was pitched as "Like Sylvester Stallone in Rocky" to someone who had never seen the film.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
Sleggar makes more sense in the context of "handsome anime pilot guy slapping some sense into a hysterical woman" not being intended to be immediate code for "piece of poo poo" in anime circa 1979.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Kanos posted:

Sleggar makes more sense in the context of "handsome anime pilot guy slapping some sense into a hysterical woman" not being intended to be immediate code for "piece of poo poo" in anime circa 1979.

My problem was always that this slap was about the only interaction the two of them had and she fell in love with him, anyway. That's just yikes. Cut the romance and I think I might have at least been a bit more tolerant of his character.

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

DID NOT VOTE FOR FETTERMAN
If you don't care about spoilers we can talk about what happens to the fiance in CCA lol

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Open Source Idiom posted:

I love that the explosions are getting increasingly lurid, as are the space ship designs. Just decking out the stealth craft in pink and yellow.

I'm not even sure what this is referring to? The Zakrello maybe? The Zakrello isn't classed as a stealth unit as far as I know though.

Open Source Idiom posted:

Also did I miss the payoff to the subplot with glasses lady and her space ship that randomly drops half of its chassis? (Also wild that Side Three decided that, hey, you know what would be good design? A ship that drops its tail like a bisected skink.)

Have you finished the show yet? The glasses lady was testing a new unit called a Braw Bro but it was malfunctioning so when Amuro and Sayla came nearby, one of the men under her panicked and started firing when she was hoping to just stay low and let them pass by uneventfully. The unit was just in no shape to fight so when they did attack the Braw Bro, which is a mobile armor rather than a ship despite it's size, she just bailed essentially, because part of the chassis can split off as an escape vehicle. She returns in one of the final episodes piloting a working Braw Bro along with a Newtype, and they both die there.

Kanos posted:

Also in the context that he's an equal opportunity piece of poo poo regarldess, because he hits both Cameron and Mirai for how they treat each other at different points. Which I imagine is meant to be part of the context of why Mirai was attracted to him. Not "Oh he was willing to hit me, what a stong manly man!" or anything, and more "he was willing to stand up for even a guy he hit before against me, demonstrating that he's not just a bully but actually has some principles" or something. Plus, when he slaps Mirai he talks about how a man has to demonstrate determination if he truly believes in something, and I think it's supposed to be building on how Mirai saw Cameron, and the fact that he didn't show any determination in trying to locate or help her before she arrived at Side 6 and instead just sent out some men to do it for him. Cameron is showing determination now by risking his life to help the White Base though, and Mirai is just treating him as annoying and refusing to let him help and Sleggar's slap is in defense of Cameron, followed by telling Mirai that if Cameron is willing to risk his life that she should recognize and accept that help.

So there may be supposed to be some element of admiration of Sleggar's intuition and determination meant to be the basis for Mirai's feelings for him? Plus, he very explicilty eclipsed Cameron at a time when she'd have been floundering emotionally, so there's probably some element of war time romance there; a thing Tomino has explored in other shows, like Sochie and Gavane in Turn A Gundam; where Gavane barely knows Sochie (and is way older than her; a teenager) but pushes for marriage because it's war and anything could happen, so "strike while the iron's hot" essentially.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

So, the IBO mobile game released another flashback.

It's Julietta and Galan's first meeting.

Apparently, Gjallarhorn runs training academies for orphans and abandoned children to pick up talent that might slip through the cracks. Julieta was a problem child there until the Bearded Gentleman met her, getting sent out to join with various units, then getting tossed back because she started trouble with her COs.

ghosthorse
Dec 15, 2011

...you forget so easily...

tsob posted:

a Braw Bro

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
She's my brah, bro

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Bruh. Bro.

ghosthorse
Dec 15, 2011

...you forget so easily...

e: I don't know why I still remember the braw bro but the name always made me laugh. This is our new zaku, the Mamuro Zay!

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
I'm watching mobile suit Gundam for the first time. I'm around episode 20 so far. I'm really liking it so far. This is my first exposure to Gundam and somehow I thought it took place in space

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
There are several encounters in space but humanity's role and responsibility for the conservation og Earth is a core theme of the entire franchise, so a lot of the action tends to be set there in deliberate contrast to the promise of life beyond the gravity well.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Arc Hammer posted:

There are several encounters in space but humanity's role and responsibility for the conservation og Earth is a core theme of the entire franchise, so a lot of the action tends to be set there in deliberate contrast to the promise of life beyond the gravity well.

That's even the name of the 3rd movie compilation!

(All three of the early Gundam shows follow this Space-Earth-Space flow.)

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

gundam somewhat uniquely is very space focused but only the space immediately surrounding the earth/in earth's orbit. mars is a location in like 2 shows and sometimes jupiter is mentioned but never seen. i very much appreciate gundam not taking the easy "oh yeah we have ftl travel" route and actually exploring space as we might theoretically actually do.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

It's also exceptionally human-focused, with only three instances of non-human extraterrestrial life, one as a fossil, one in a single panel of a spinoff manga, and just one as the main focus of a story and even that just being a post-series movie.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Funnily enough the Gundam series with the most aliens in it is Build Divers ReRise the show about people fighting with Gundam's in VR

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

SatoshiMiwa posted:

Funnily enough the Gundam series with the most aliens in it is Build Divers ReRise the show about people fighting with Gundam's in VR

Waffleman how did you forget about the furry planet?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I haven't watched the Build series and I was only thinking of the mainline stuff

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

ninjewtsu posted:

gundam somewhat uniquely is very space focused but only the space immediately surrounding the earth/in earth's orbit. mars is a location in like 2 shows and sometimes jupiter is mentioned but never seen. i very much appreciate gundam not taking the easy "oh yeah we have ftl travel" route and actually exploring space as we might theoretically actually do.

It doesn't take the easy route of "oh yeah, we have FTL" but it does take the easy route in that the O'Neill cylinders are basically just magic. There were dozens, if not hundreds of them built across several Sides in the couple of decades before the original show, almost all of which were destroyed in a nearly negligibly easy fashion despite how immense they are and then within a handful of years they might as well never have been destroyed at all and the setting just goes on as if the Sides are back to a status quo. The actual construction of them is of no trouble or consequence, and just kind of happens between shows when convenient or necessary despite the sheer amount of itme and resources it should take to make just one; never mind the dozens or hundreds that UC has had.

In it's own way what Gundam does do is more magical than FTL, and is less about "exploration of space" and more about "exploration of the sociology of space habitation".

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
The colonies are one of those handwaved things I can accept as much as I can accept the Jupiter Fleets having immense wealth and the presumably intense reaource extraction going on in the asteroid belt. There's already several hollowed out asteroids within the Earth Sphere.

Unicorn does a good job of expanding on this with the giant Colony Builder slowly adding onto the Industrial 7 cylinder with raw materials, the history of Palau and the first spacers travels beyond the Earth Sphere, and the fact that there are still dozens of shoal zones from the last decade and a half of warfare littering space despite the relative ease of building new colony bunches.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

https://twitter.com/RNGundam/status/1482132936522715137?t=X5f-KRVfcpdSx2tHTlIP8A&s=19

Quattro made Kamille write an apology

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Arc Hammer posted:

The colonies are one of those handwaved things I can accept as much as I can accept the Jupiter Fleets having immense wealth and the presumably intense reaource extraction going on in the asteroid belt. There's already several hollowed out asteroids within the Earth Sphere.

Unicorn does a good job of expanding on this with the giant Colony Builder slowly adding onto the Industrial 7 cylinder with raw materials, the history of Palau and the first spacers travels beyond the Earth Sphere, and the fact that there are still dozens of shoal zones from the last decade and a half of warfare littering space despite the relative ease of building new colony bunches.

Sure, and I don't really have a problem with the conceit in general; I just feel it's kind of odd to single out Gundam as a franchise for not taking an easy route by using FTL when it handwaves the construction of O'Neill cylinders at basically every turn. Which stands out all the more given that production of mobile suits and/or ships and other structures is of some concern in quite a few shows. It takes the Federation the guts of a year to build back up a notable space fleet in the original show for instance. Which is a bit odd when they can pump out dozens of colonies that measure in the miles long range within a couple of years. They should possess resource satellites nearly on par with the automated factory satellites in Macross for that kind of production, but they definitely don't.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Well the stuff from the belt and Jupiter presumably isn't equipped to develop naval vessels, right, if the EFSF even has shipyards outside of the Earth Sphere. The problem seems more that the new ships could only be built at Jaburo because the remnants of the first fleet was barely holding the line at Luna II and the rest of Earth was locked in a major land war with Zeon. It might not be an issue of the time it takes to build a ship but having the convenience of facilities available to build them simultaneously. Jaburo was stockpiling thousands and thousands of GMs as well as the new fleet, but it's the kind of military force that can only be launched en masse or get blown apart piecemeal if they sent out new ships in limited waves.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Building factories takes time and money, things the federation doesn't tend to have a lot of. Being able to create a colony doesn't imply the ability to build a mobile suit or ship any more than being able to build a truck implies you can build an aircraft carrier. See how long it's taken China to get their Blue Water Navy project off the ground compared to their pure factory output.

Even having the retooling the factories that built parts for the colonies would likely cost enough that it would make more sense to just build a new factory, and then you run into the time and money problem in addition to the absolute decimation of the workforce from the OYW

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

I'm guessing you could also reason that during the Wars all R&D was being focused on weapons and such so stuff like FTL travel research gets abandoned cause it doesn't help blow stuff up faster. Colony and other tech was already done so they can keep making it but they've hit a wall and won't be able to get past it till they stop trying to kill each other

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
My bigger question is where all the colonies are being built. There's a Colony Builder working on Industrial 7 in Unicorn but is it the only one? Is it like Tycho Station in The Expanse where it's actually a ship that travels around to asteroids only instead of spinning them up for centripetal gravity they just nom them up to fart out fresh cylinders?

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

SatoshiMiwa posted:

I'm guessing you could also reason that during the Wars all R&D was being focused on weapons and such so stuff like FTL travel research gets abandoned cause it doesn't help blow stuff up faster. Colony and other tech was already done so they can keep making it but they've hit a wall and won't be able to get past it till they stop trying to kill each other

You could reason any number of things, but doing so is kind of missing the point. The in setting reasons for it don't matter, because the ultimate reason is that Tomino wanted a place for 18+ meter tall machines to fight in space that gave some kind of background and geography for the fight beyond a black background with some stars, and he liked O'Neill colonies when he read about them, but he had no real interest in exploring the construction or logistics of them in a show primarily intended for kids so they were just there or not there as needed. Whatever in universe reasoning you can come up with it is just as much an "easy answer" as FTL is in a lot of sci-fi.

I wasn't complaing that the lore didn't make sense, I was pointing out that Gundam uses conveniences to make it's setting work just as much as any other and it just has different conveniences.

tsob fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Feb 20, 2023

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

DID NOT VOTE FOR FETTERMAN
I'm willing to handwave the colonies because they're like 70 year old technology and the mobile suits are a brand new development. Do we know how old the minovsky powered spacecraft are supposed to be?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

War and Pieces posted:

I'm willing to handwave the colonies because they're like 70 year old technology and the mobile suits are a brand new development. Do we know how old the minovsky powered spacecraft are supposed to be?

Yes, the White Base is the first one the Federation built and Zeon don't have any Minovsky powered ones so far as I know. So brand new as of the show, like the Gundam. If the Principality does have some then they're only a couple of years old at best, though I'm pretty sure they have none.