Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."
I just took the crown off my cabinets and left it off. I dunno it looks fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

I'm the king in my kitchen, the only crown is the paper one from Burger King and it's sitting on my head.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

slidebite posted:

Faster than the kitchen sink faucet for sure.

Take the aerator off your kitchen sink faucet (unless you use it primarily for hand washing.)

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

i had this local handyman come by to cut a couple new transitions with a mitre saw, and then put them in. He has come by before, seemed a bit off but he did good work and is pretty affordable. But after he cut them he said he no adhesives, because he removed everything from his van that fails at low temps before the winter. it's like ok, thanks?

edit: bosch dishwashers, I have the basic bitch ascenta with front controls. but i'm only one person so it's fine. but i got it just before covid so it was i think 399, now it's 649 lol

Mustache Ride posted:

I've got one as well and have painted trim and doors with it. Hardest thing is cleaning it honestly.

Also a pretty successful day.

Edit: find the thing I'm still not doing myself

since colors obviously never are accurate on a screen, what is the wall and cabinet color?

actionjackson fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Feb 21, 2023

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

actionjackson posted:

edit: bosch dishwashers, I have the basic bitch ascenta with front controls. but i'm only one person so it's fine. but i got it just before covid so it was i think 399, now it's 649 lol
I've had both, and I much prefer the front controls. Having to open the DW to see how much time is left is utter bullshit.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
Never had a need to check the time during a cycle. It’s a dishwasher. You can see how long it will be when you start it and I much prefer the featureless door to a bunch of buttons, lights, and numbers.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

i definitely appreciate the featureless door from a design perspective at least! but i was really just focused on price at that time

actionjackson fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Feb 21, 2023

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Never had a need to check the time during a cycle. It’s a dishwasher. You can see how long it will be when you start it and I much prefer the featureless door to a bunch of buttons, lights, and numbers.

I like knowing "can i take a shower yet?" And "can i run the washing machine yet?"

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Modern dishwashers use so little water it shouldn't matter. 3-5 gallons total per wash.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Arsenic Lupin posted:

I've had both, and I much prefer the front controls. Having to open the DW to see how much time is left is utter bullshit.

Bosch Benchmark series got you covered:

(switches between an icon for what cycle it's in and hours/minutes remaining)

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

That dishwasher wants a cigarette.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

My main advice re: dishwashers is to stash a leak alarm underneath it. The Whirlpool in the house I'm in sprung a leak from a design flaw and and the only reason I caught it before a bunch of damage occurred is the floor being slanted just right to cause the water to come out the front instead of pooling against a wall or cabinet.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe
I hated top control dishwashers until I had kids and then the buttons being accessible became a liability. I thought I would miss the visible countdown but for the two times a year I'm unsure of when it started I just pull it open, look, then close it and resume the cycle.

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

actionjackson posted:

since colors obviously never are accurate on a screen, what is the wall and cabinet color?

Wall is generic cream
Cabinets are a very blueish green called "Haze" by the cabinet company. It looks green in the picture, but very blue in the light.
Floor is a dark grey

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Shifty Pony posted:

My main advice re: dishwashers is to stash a leak alarm underneath it. The Whirlpool in the house I'm in sprung a leak from a design flaw and and the only reason I caught it before a bunch of damage occurred is the floor being slanted just right to cause the water to come out the front instead of pooling against a wall or cabinet.

You know I've been thinking about this and it seems like a good idea to buy one for the dishwasher and one for the washer. Thanks for the reminder!

Fake edit: any goon recommended brands? I'm only just starting to look into them, maybe having it be a smart device wouldn't be bad...

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

The one I linked to and this earlier version are tried and tested. The circuit doesn't use any battery power at all until the alarm sounds.

I guess if you have an outlet handy a smart one could work, but I am a fan of keeping it simple for this sort of thing.

a dingus
Mar 22, 2008

Rhetorical questions only
Fun Shoe
I'm about to start finishing half the basement in my 1959 built ranch. The goal is to frame out an office, hangout space and half bath. The basement is already rough plummed. Does anyone who's done something similar have any general advice or stuff to look out for?

I've already done a moisture test w/ tin foil taped on the walls and floor. Everything is dry but I'll still rear end an extra layer of cement sealer. The plan so far is to insulate the walls with the glue on foam insulation and to frame with 2x4s. Not terribly sure what the most practical floor system would be yet.

Jenkl
Aug 5, 2008

This post needs at least three times more shit!
It's hard to say without knowing your property, but it sounds like you've got the hang of it either way.

You can go as far as something like dricore panels to create a subfloor, which costs a lot in both money and lost ceiling space (may or may not be a concern for you). Or you can glue some linoleum onto the concrete and call it a day.

The concerns are going to be the moisture wanting a way out if that is a problem for you, and the comfort of not walking on concrete.

My inspector has major concerns with my ceiling height so i went with lifeproof vinyl onto the concrete. If I had the space is have added an additional underlayment for extra cushion and insulation. Alas.

I also have an exceptionally dry slab, so I had no concerns about needing something like dricore to create air channels.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

I would throw in that if you are in or near a region where radon can be a problem get the basement tested and any mitigation installed before you finish it.

And also whenever doing anything in a 1950s/60s house be on the lookout for asbestos and lead paint.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Motronic posted:

i would find this kind of annoying

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Motronic posted:

:drat:

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

I have a AEG l7WE7631BI washing machine and it doesnt not seem to want to work as a dryer. We got it when we bought the house as its built in, and supposedly it works correctly, just not as a usual dryer would (its supposedly low energy and doesn't use hot air). The instructions are rubbish.

Does anyone have any experience with this model/type and can advise?

a dingus
Mar 22, 2008

Rhetorical questions only
Fun Shoe

Jenkl posted:

My inspector has major concerns with my ceiling height so i went with lifeproof vinyl onto the concrete. If I had the space is have added an additional underlayment for extra cushion and insulation. Alas.

Ours are pretty low as well. Gonna try and fit some type of insulation underneath but the basement stays fairly warm otherwise.

Shifty Pony posted:

I would throw in that if you are in or near a region where radon can be a problem get the basement tested and any mitigation installed before you finish it.

And also whenever doing anything in a 1950s/60s house be on the lookout for asbestos and lead paint.

Yep, already have a radon system installed. We tested below the threshold for needing one but did it anyhow. No asbestos thankfully but there is some scaly paint that I don't like. Gonna wear a mask when cleaning it up but thankfully it'll be all covered up.

Thanks peeps!

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Use a 3m lead check on any paint you didn't personally put on. Seriously they are $5/ea in an 8 pack and keep indefinitely.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

actionjackson posted:

i would find this kind of annoying

It’s toggleable negative Nancy

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

Motronic posted:

Got a similar thing on our Electrolux as well, it's a pretty clever way of doing it.

The Wonder Weapon
Dec 16, 2006

Bosch's $1400 800 series just uses a red light, what the hell I feel ripped off

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Using projection lights like that is 1940s tech yet somehow people didn’t think to use them for household applications until now. I think it’s really clever, if a little intrusive.

The first time I saw them used was a couple months ago to indicate hospital bed controls on the underside of the front lip that wouldn’t normally be visible.

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.

The Wonder Weapon posted:

I didn't know the "benchmark" series existed because it's not at LowesDepot. Had to look it up.

It's $2,300.

Sooooo I think when it comes time for a new dishwasher for us, the 800 series will work just fine...

edit:

Tiny Timbs posted:

Using projection lights like that is 1940s tech yet somehow people didn’t think to use them for household applications until now. I think it’s really clever, if a little intrusive.

The first time I saw them used was a couple months ago to indicate hospital bed controls on the underside of the front lip that wouldn’t normally be visible.

I mean, for the most part it's unnecessary. Very few home appliances require that sort of display.

It's just that for dishwashers, top-mount controls are typically impossible to see, so now you need some way to tell the user that it's running (particularly for ultra-quiet dishwashers where the display is about the only way you can tell if it's on).

DaveSauce fucked around with this message at 13:24 on Feb 22, 2023

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

The Wonder Weapon posted:

Want to feel extra ripped off? I pulled the invoice for that thing and paid around $1400 for it in 2019.

DaveSauce posted:

It's $2,300.

Yikes! The prices on these things have gone absolutely bonkers.

At the time it was the only thing with the extra drying stuff (zooilite?) and it has a built in water softener so glassware comes out pretty great.

Motronic fucked around with this message at 15:15 on Feb 22, 2023

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.
pandemic :sigh:

That's part of the reason we're still limping our oven along. It's like a 2012 glass top electric convection oven and works OK... not builder-grade, but not "nice," especially considering how much cooking we do. I looked it up pre-pandemic and the going price was like $500 MSRP for the equivalent model, but right now it's $700 on sale... so the $100 I paid for a replacement burner control wasn't such a bad deal, especially if I get another 1-2 years out of it.

Just bought a new washer/dryer a few months ago and I'm just going to bury my head in the sand and avoid looking up the pre-pandemic price.

Problem is just about every drat thing in this house was replaced around 2012. So we're butting up against the end of the useful life of most our appliances. Already replaced a few, but we still have the dishwasher, oven, and water heater to go. HVAC was done in 2013, so that's approaching expensive repair territory.

Really want to replace the oven, but I feel like the dishwasher would be a better quality of life upgrade since we run it every day. If pandemic pricing continues, then we're in for an expensive time the next 2-3 years...

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

every appliance should play the LG washer chime when it's completed whatever it's doing

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

I will take a visual representation of an appliance's status over audible any fuckin day of the week

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

actionjackson posted:

every appliance should play the LG washer chime when it's completed whatever it's doing

It's so cheerful and pleasant. Makes laundry day that tiny bit more tolerable.

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

companies really need to figure out some better noises to make other than loud high pitched beeping. way too many things in our house just make loud beeps that sound basically the same

the worst is our ventless dryer that can condense the water into a big container, and when it gets full it stops and screeches the loudest loving beeps that sounds like a smoke alarm going off

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

actionjackson posted:

Whirlpool washer/dryer also have a nice tune but this was a critical factor in our new LG mircowave. Hate hate hate the shrill Frigidaire beep of our current one.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

This is the LG song for the record:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Y7rj98trow

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Damn, this is good coffee.

actionjackson posted:

I’d gladly give up the nice chime for the ability to lock out the power button when I turn on the child lock. The child lock prevents my kid from pressing all buttons *except* for the power button, so it can’t stop him from stopping something midwash. It’s absolutely infuriating. My FIL has an older LG where the panel lockout includes the power button, so I guess it’s a recent change. Must be a safety thing

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

Stand back I'm going to try science!

That poo poo slaps as the kids would say

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

that's Doctor Brain to you
My Samsung washer and dryer play a cheery rendition of Schubert's The Trout when they finish running. I had no idea it was a real piece of classical music until one day my father in law was playing classical music songs on YouTube for my toddler and The Trout came up and sounded oddly familiar.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9TpRsLdKVAg