Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

NickRoweFillea posted:

They should definitely fire Nate Oats. Yup

Maybe but it's Bama so he'll just have to sit the first half of their next game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

The part that gets me is the parking to block the victim’s Jeep in. Like… you’re gonna return your buddies loaded gun at 1am and in doing so block in the car that gets shot?

Like is the only reason he is not being charged really because of the three guys there, he drove the gun to the spot, Davis got the gun and physically handed it to Miles, and then Miles fired? So because someone else broke the direct chain he is off the hook? That’s the only thing I can figure out.

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug
have you considered that he's a star for a basketball team that might win the SEC

ihatepants
Nov 5, 2011

Let the burning of pants commence. These things drive me nuts.

I don't understand why Miller isn't being charged with anything for bringing the gun (other than it being in Alabama).

chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

fast cars loose anus posted:

have you considered that he's a star for a basketball team that might win the SEC

He plays for Texas A&M?????

kidding. Yeah I know it’s really that, it just sucks to see

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

TheAlmightyFrog posted:

Not a lawyer, but isn't this where aiding and abetting would come into play?

Also forgot about the whole Ray Lewis angle. Did OJ not answer?

Ray’s the better pick, not because what he did wasn’t as bad but because he got enough people in power to forget about it that he isn’t persona non grata

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug

chaoslord posted:

He plays for Texas A&M?????

kidding. Yeah I know it’s really that, it just sucks to see

our athletes first believe themselves to be Jesus before they kill people, important distinction

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

ihatepants posted:

I don't understand why Miller isn't being charged with anything for bringing the gun (other than it being in Alabama).

The cops literally went 🤷🏻‍♂️ “we don’t know what to charge him with”

https://247sports.com/college/alaba...-205092490/Amp/

quote:

Asked why Miller was not charged, Tuscaloosa chief deputy D.A. Paula Whitley said, “That’s not a question I can answer. There’s nothing we could charge with him according to the law.”

ColdBlooded
Jul 15, 2001

Ask me how to run a good team into the ground.
Nate Oats is a piece of poo poo

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.

Joey Freshwater posted:

The cops literally went 🤷🏻‍♂️ “we don’t know what to charge him with”

Alabama cops declining to invent a crime in order to charge and incarcerate a black man? Guess there is a first time for everything.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

The ISU-Texas game is in the longhorn network, which means no one in Iowa can watch the game. Can’t wait for Texas to move to the SEC so we don’t have to put up with their stupid bullshit anymore.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
What is happening with LHN after they join? I can’t see Birmingham putting up with it and ESPN had I thought lost a boatload.

Are both sides just going to walk away and say LHN died on the way back to its home planet? Or are we going to get SECN2?

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

This is headed into Dave Bliss territory. Or Greg Heiar territory. Every line of that screenshot got progressively worse.

How in the hell does Chris Beard have competition for biggest POS in college basketball in 2022-23? From multiple people?

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Gotta think today is up there as far as worst days for basketball coaches named Nate

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug
And that will definitely secure the tourney bid, and if we take care of the business we ought to, sets up an SEC title match with Alabama

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
Congrats to Carlton Dotson surpassing the halfway point of his incarceration last year.

curried lamb of God
Aug 31, 2001

we are all Marwinners

fast cars loose anus posted:

And that will definitely secure the tourney bid, and if we take care of the business we ought to, sets up an SEC title match with Alabama

both of my schools are really good at basketball at the same time, how is this happening

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
Tennessee is pisssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

ihatepants posted:

because giving a gun to someone who then gives it to someone else who uses it to commit a crime isn't really a crime

the police would have to have evidence that miller knew when he was giving the gun to miles that it would result in someone getting shot

on the other hand, if that thing about miller blocking in the victim's car with his jeep is true, then he is very much an accessory

Wylie
Jun 27, 2005

Ever to conquer, never to yield.

Declan MacManus posted:

because giving a gun to someone who then gives it to someone else who uses it to commit a crime isn't really a crime

the police would have to have evidence that miller knew when he was giving the gun to miles that it would result in someone getting shot

on the other hand, if that thing about miller blocking in the victim's car with his jeep is true, then he is very much an accessory

There might be evidence that Miles told Miller that someone was threatening him, and that is why he needed the gun.

Also, to be clear, Miller blocked the -victim's- Jeep with -his- Dodge Challenger, because Dodge Challengers are standard issue at Alabama.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

Hed posted:

What is happening with LHN after they join? I can’t see Birmingham putting up with it and ESPN had I thought lost a boatload.

Are both sides just going to walk away and say LHN died on the way back to its home planet? Or are we going to get SECN2?

Look forward to SEC Network SEC Classic game: USC vs Texas

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true
In less murderous news, Texas Tech has so far done what they needed to do, and took both road games against WVU and OU.

Think we still need to take our two home games vs TCU and Oklahoma State to get in to the field, but if we do that, we'll be pretty solidly in the field with a 7-11 conference record and the conference tournament doesn't matter.

Dropping one of those two games means we'd have to win two in the conference tournament, I think, but with the way the league is and the way the mid-majors are, I think that it's still a possibility.

It's not quite a magic number situation (because I think we get in at 7-11 with a loss to #4 or #5 in the conference tournament considering 4 & 5 are both positioned as 3 seeds), but you could say that the magic number is 3 and be close enough.

curried lamb of God
Aug 31, 2001

we are all Marwinners

kayakyakr posted:

In less murderous news, Texas Tech has so far done what they needed to do, and took both road games against WVU and OU.

Think we still need to take our two home games vs TCU and Oklahoma State to get in to the field, but if we do that, we'll be pretty solidly in the field with a 7-11 conference record and the conference tournament doesn't matter.

Dropping one of those two games means we'd have to win two in the conference tournament, I think, but with the way the league is and the way the mid-majors are, I think that it's still a possibility.

It's not quite a magic number situation (because I think we get in at 7-11 with a loss to #4 or #5 in the conference tournament considering 4 & 5 are both positioned as 3 seeds), but you could say that the magic number is 3 and be close enough.

I haven't been able to watch any Tech games this season besides the UT game in Lubbock, but what has been the reason for the drop-off? Is it just the strength of the conference this season?

Also, I'm usually loath to compliment, let alone root for, UT, but it's amazing how those kids have stuck together after the Beard situation. I hope they go far in the tournament, although not further than UH :shobon:

TheAlmightyFrog
Oct 7, 2007

squeeeak
Kentucky led 30-15 at one point. They are down 37-36 at the half. This team is just so hot or cold, and there is rarely consistency even in a single half.

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.
UVA playing their worst basketball of the year tonight and begging for weeks now for a terrible loss

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

anyways Miami is the best team in the ACC, they’re not even all that good and it’s still not particularly close. annus horribilis

RoastBeef
Jul 11, 2008

Go (smaller) Birds

RoastBeef
Jul 11, 2008

RoastBeef posted:

Go (smaller) Birds

:woop:

Ungratek
Aug 2, 2005

elentar posted:

UVA playing their worst basketball of the year tonight and begging for weeks now for a terrible loss

That was a kick in the teeth and it’s been coming

RumbleFish
Dec 20, 2007

Just gotta say that it was pretty drat gross to watch the Cocks lose to Alabama in a game in which Brandon Miller scored like half of the Tide's points, forced the game to OT, and then ultimately made the game-winning layup. It's always a bummer to just barely miss out on a top-5 upset like that, but good god the surrounding context of this one is a lot.

TheAlmightyFrog
Oct 7, 2007

squeeeak
That half-court heave was inches from going in, and I was really hoping it would. What's really gross is some people will use this as Miller and Alabama "overcoming adversity" or some poo poo like that, though thankfully probably fewer than there used to be.

RumbleFish
Dec 20, 2007

TheAlmightyFrog posted:

That half-court heave was inches from going in, and I was really hoping it would. What's really gross is some people will use this as Miller and Alabama "overcoming adversity" or some poo poo like that, though thankfully probably fewer than there used to be.

https://twitter.com/GoodmanHoops/status/1628614955330162689?t=YzMnaAlkJtHz4KK9ZHV_lg&s=19

lmao

TheAlmightyFrog
Oct 7, 2007

squeeeak

Of course it's Jeff Goodman

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
All that unfortunate stuff swirling around him. Like when he helped murder that single mom. Just totally out of his hands, much like the gun he gave to a murderer

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

The Audacity of Hoop

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"
This is some shady poo poo

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe
The overnight ESPN radio guys were all like

'well if you separate the other stuff from the basketball performance, that really was an amazing basketball performance'

'you can't separate the basketball performance from all the other stuff'

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Accessory to accessory to murder isn’t a crime in Alabama. Should it be? Probably. Should Oats shut up and not make stupid comments about the situation? Absolutely. Would anyone have given the slightest bit of a gently caress about this if it was a few years back and we were still mediocre at best? I seriously doubt it.

Kid’s a moron for being involved at any level, but that appears to be the extent of the matter unless new details emerge or something else. I hope the shooter gets thrown in a cell for a long time and the victim’s family gets some closure from this.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Warbird posted:

Accessory to accessory to murder isn’t a crime in Alabama. Should it be? Probably. Should Oats shut up and not make stupid comments about the situation? Absolutely. Would anyone have given the slightest bit of a gently caress about this if it was a few years back and we were still mediocre at best? I seriously doubt it.

Kid’s a moron for being involved at any level, but that appears to be the extent of the matter unless new details emerge or something else. I hope the shooter gets thrown in a cell for a long time and the victim’s family gets some closure from this.

What the gently caress

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Christe Eleison
Feb 1, 2010

tactlessbastard posted:

The overnight ESPN radio guys were all like

'well if you separate the other stuff from the basketball performance, that really was an amazing basketball performance'

'you can't separate the basketball performance from all the other stuff'

https://twitter.com/dril/status/464802196060917762?s=20