Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

Machai posted:

Efficiency

Hopefully there aren't any issues.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

New manager is trying everything he can to find a cheap version of a hop bag that costs the princely sum of 1500 yen. He's pitching stuff like drier bags and cheap storage bags from the hundred yen store. Just nickel and diming the hell out of a relatively minor purchase that needs to be food grade.

Shithouse Dave
Aug 5, 2007

each post manufactured to the highest specifications

Surely you could just jam it in a few rugby socks from the 100 yen store, right?

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

Shithouse Dave posted:

Surely you could just jam it in a few rugby socks from the 100 yen store, right?

Woah woah woah! Do I look like I'm made of money? I got a few old socks in my drawer I barely use! Wash 'em off? Good as new!

Escape From Noise fucked around with this message at 06:12 on Feb 22, 2023

TaurusTorus
Mar 27, 2010

Grab the bullshit by the horns

Mankind is ungovernable.

If you take something from the equipment shuttle, check it out, or someone will come look to check out equipment that isn’t there.

Two machines are sitting doing nothing because I can’t find the drat cover rings to keep testing.

If I never post again I died in the mechanical jaws of the equipment shuttle, searching for goddamn metal rings.

Don’t mourn me, it was always going to be this way.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

TaurusTorus posted:

Mankind is ungovernable.

If you take something from the equipment shuttle, check it out, or someone will come look to check out equipment that isn’t there.

Two machines are sitting doing nothing because I can’t find the drat cover rings to keep testing.

If I never post again I died in the mechanical jaws of the equipment shuttle, searching for goddamn metal rings.

rip goon

Shithouse Dave
Aug 5, 2007

each post manufactured to the highest specifications

TaurusTorus posted:

Mankind is ungovernable.

Do you happen to have a hedgehog problem around the shop?

TaurusTorus
Mar 27, 2010

Grab the bullshit by the horns

Shithouse Dave posted:

Do you happen to have a hedgehog problem around the shop?

It turns out Sonic the Hedgehog was just my dying dream as I’m pulled apart by an overgrown dumbwaiter.

Xlorp
Jan 23, 2008

TaurusTorus posted:

It turns out Sonic the Hedgehog was just my dying dream as I’m pulled apart by an overgrown dumbwaiter.
When it was his time to go, it was fast

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

Supe just called me to tell me to not come back from my vacation and call HR, called HR and she told me to come to the 2nd shift meeting at 2 tomorrow to get my paperwork and severance check.

Kinda knew it was over when I left last week, but this is rough. I really liked that place.

ben shapino
Nov 22, 2020

MrQwerty posted:

Supe just called me to tell me to not come back from my vacation and call HR, called HR and she told me to come to the 2nd shift meeting at 2 tomorrow to get my paperwork and severance check.

Kinda knew it was over when I left last week, but this is rough. I really liked that place.

Getting a call to tell you to call HR is pretty dumb, shouldn't HR be contacting you?

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

ben shapino posted:

Getting a call to tell you to call HR is pretty dumb, shouldn't HR be contacting you?

The copper wires had already been torn from the walls by that point

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

ben shapino posted:

My HR department has been one person who is 100% WFH since COVID started and they retired the actual HR guy, because a year later they announced they were shutting the plant down.

Also my supe wanted to tell me how much she liked and appreciated working with me, plus take no work in ADP tonight.

TotalLossBrain posted:

The copper wires had already been torn from the walls by that point

this too, once I shut everything down in SMD on Thursday night/Friday morning all of the equipment outside the testers and the robot arms went up for sale

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
ADP ETime hell yeah

Lady Jaybird
Jan 23, 2014

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Escape From Noise posted:

But at least I got some new insoles for my work boots and, friends...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iPUmE-tne5U

Hell yeah! Comfortable work boots are a game changer

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

TaurusTorus posted:

Mankind is ungovernable.

I hate be the one to tell you, but you've been deceived, for another ring was forged....

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

You know that thing where you sleep on your arm funny and when you wake up it's all numb? Yeah that's my whole world right now.

Let's see...my boss gave me the third degree about my religion for asking for a day off weeks in advance. It's slow season, there are three of us and maybe ten customers a day.

Then the boss also got upset my emergency tooth extraction is on a Monday instead of the middle of the week. It should have been Friday but I don't want to get fired for missing a corporate training day. So there's that. My face hurts.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Invite them to get tae gently caress.

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON

New manager is trying everything he can to find a cheap version of a hop bag that costs the princely sum of 1500 yen. He's pitching stuff like drier bags and cheap storage bags from the hundred yen store. Just nickel and diming the hell out of a relatively minor purchase that needs to be food grade.

A brewery built by Daiso

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker

Nah. They just called it "imperial stout". It's not the absolute worst thing but there's no mention of the smoked coffee or honey used (which are supposed to be selling points) other than in the ingredients listed (one of the listed ingredients is "otter" because I guess they didn't have space for "Maris Otter"). I'm not saying there should be some huge issue but I would think putting something like "Imperial Stout with honey and smoked coffee" might be a good idea. Just one of those things.
There's a local brewer that does similar poo poo here. Focus on the art, name it after a movie/book/music album name and put the actual product/ingredients in a six point font that looks like handwriting.

Honestly don't understand how they can still do enough business to distribute in the state.

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

Cheesus posted:

There's a local brewer that does similar poo poo here. Focus on the art, name it after a movie/book/music album name and put the actual product/ingredients in a six point font that looks like handwriting.

Honestly don't understand how they can still do enough business to distribute in the state.

Yeah. I brought it up with someone. Was just like we should say IMPERIAL STOUT and in smaller but legible writing under it say with [special ingredients/hops]. Most people aren't going to look at the ingredients list for that. Gotta market it IMHO.

TheSpartacus
Oct 30, 2010
HEY GUYS I'VE FLOWN HELICOPTERS IN THIS GAME BEFORE AND I AM AN EXPERT. ALSO, HOW DO I START THE ENGINE?

Scathach posted:

Let's see...my boss gave me the third degree about my religion for asking for a day off weeks in advance. It's slow season, there are three of us and maybe ten customers a day.

Then the boss also got upset my emergency tooth extraction is on a Monday instead of the middle of the week. It should have been Friday but I don't want to get fired for missing a corporate training day. So there's that. My face hurts.
My religion requires me to not put up with your dumbassery.

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.

Scathach posted:

You've got some leverage there if you've got any documentation about your boss giving you the third degree about your religion.

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

Please, boiler, I am begging you! Bring the temperature of the mash up just one more degree! Please!

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Please, boiler, I am begging you! Bring the temperature of the mash up just one more degree! Please!

Why beg when threats, intimidation, extortion and precussive maintenance are an option?

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Outrail posted:

Why beg when threats, intimidation, extortion and precussive maintenance are an option?

When I'm bullshitting with certain users (who can take jokes) while trying to figure out their problems I'll ask "Have you tried asking it nicely?" and if they say yes, my follow-up is "Oh, well then have you tried cursing at it?" If that's a yes, then I tell them "Well, then I'm out of ideas." Can't do it with everyone though.

fresh_cheese
Jul 2, 2014

MY KPI IS HOW MANY VP NUTS I SUCK IN A FISCAL YEAR AND MY LAST THREE OFFICE CHAIRS COMMITTED SUICIDE
Turns out someone typod that guy’s hours/week number in the HR system : 18.25 instead of 18.75

And thats why they lost insurance coverage all of a sudden and some of the kids medical payments got denied.

And it only took researching and chasing down 8 heretofore unnamed hr people , sending email to a VP, and harassing that VP in person to read said email and reply “i approve” to get the wheels moving to possibly maybe get insurance coverage back next week maybe hopefully.

This is literally the best we can do, as a people.

:parrot:

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

fresh_cheese posted:

Turns out someone typod that guy’s hours/week number in the HR system : 18.25 instead of 18.75

And thats why they lost insurance coverage all of a sudden and some of the kids medical payments got denied.

And it only took researching and chasing down 8 heretofore unnamed hr people , sending email to a VP, and harassing that VP in person to read said email and reply “i approve” to get the wheels moving to possibly maybe get insurance coverage back next week maybe hopefully.

This is literally the best we can do, as a people.

:parrot:

Sounds like a very American problem.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

I was 9 months into my first ever management gig when I found out that one of my people had been being overpaid by ~2x their actual salary every month, because just before I took the job their last manager had agreed to reduce their working hours but fat-fingered the inputs into the HR system and left them on 35 hours a week instead of dropping it to 15.

I only spotted it because I had to update some sickness records and the system kept insisting that the range of dates I was putting in added up to way more working hours than they’d actually been expected to work, and a quick call to HR to ask them “what the gently caress” uncovered the problem.

They apparently never thought anything of the fact they continued to get paid a full time salary for part time work and were genuinely shocked when I dropped that particular bombshell on them, along with the company’s request that they work out a payment plan with the finance department to give back all of the overpayments.

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!

History Comes Inside! posted:

They apparently never thought anything of the fact they continued to get paid a full time salary for part time work and were genuinely shocked when I dropped that particular bombshell on them, along with the company’s request that they work out a payment plan with the finance department to give back all of the overpayments.

Did they immediately disappear and change their name?

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.

I was 9 months into my first ever management gig when I found out that one of my people had been being overpaid by ~2x their actual salary every month, because just before I took the job their last manager had agreed to reduce their working hours but fat-fingered the inputs into the HR system and left them on 35 hours a week instead of dropping it to 15.

I only spotted it because I had to update some sickness records and the system kept insisting that the range of dates I was putting in added up to way more working hours than they’d actually been expected to work, and a quick call to HR to ask them “what the gently caress” uncovered the problem.

It's the company's dumb rear end that overpaid them, they shouldn't have to pay it back.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I dont think Id ever tell HR I discovered that

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Nah, they kicked and screamed about it and dragged their heels, eventually getting independent legal advice from someone who presumably told them how loving stupid they’d been to just sit on it without mentioning it to anyone (our employment contracts all have the same legalese boilerplate about needing to notify HR if you receive any payments you aren’t entitled to ((which is usually due to expenses fuckups rather than your whole-rear end salary)) and the company having the right to reclaim them) and then just started paying it back as requested.

It would have come up by itself about a month or so after that when the annual salary reviews were due anyway, so it was a ticking timebomb the whole time. Dude was always hosed, it was just a question of how long he’d be able to coast on it.

Edit: to clarify, I didn’t go to HR saying why the gently caress is this dude getting paid hella bucks, I went to HR to ask why the gently caress the piece of poo poo system wanted to put them down as absent for ~70 hours of sick time instead of ~30 because obviously that can’t be right and is loving them out of their sick time and then lol uh oh

History Comes Inside! fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Feb 23, 2023

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

payment plan with the finance department to give back all of the overpayments.

That is legitimately sociopathic, just fix the error and move on

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

Industry friend asked if I had a certain dry yeast I wasn't using because he needed it this weekend and the supplier was out of it. It just so happened that I was sitting on some that I have no plans for ATM. I asked the boss expecting a ton of back and forth because of the corporate nature of this company but to my surprise he immediately answered to give permission to do so. :toot: So that's a nice thing that happened today.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Nah, they kicked and screamed about it and dragged their heels, eventually getting independent legal advice from someone who presumably told them how loving stupid they’d been to just sit on it without mentioning it to anyone (our employment contracts all have the same legalese boilerplate about needing to notify HR if you receive any payments you aren’t entitled to ((which is usually due to expenses fuckups rather than your whole-rear end salary)) and the company having the right to reclaim them) and then just started paying it back as requested.

It would have come up by itself about a month or so after that when the annual salary reviews were due anyway, so it was a ticking timebomb the whole time. Dude was always hosed, it was just a question of how long he’d be able to coast on it.

Edit: to clarify, I didn’t go to HR saying why the gently caress is this dude getting paid hella bucks, I went to HR to ask why the gently caress the piece of poo poo system wanted to put them down as absent for ~70 hours of sick time instead of ~30 because obviously that can’t be right and is loving them out of their sick time and then lol uh oh

Dude absolutely did the right smart right thing*. IANAL but I think there's a thing in contracts where if the situation changes and people know it changed and don't do anything to rectify it, it becomes accepted. If it'd kept going for *period of time* maybe he could argue the company had accepted the change without complaint and therefore accepted the change in conditions? I'm not recalling this correctly but I'm sure I read something to that effect somewhere.

The guy had nothing to lose and everything to gain. He's either dumb as hell for not realizing what happened or smart to pretend he's dumb as hell.

* Assuming he works for a large company

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Industry friend asked if I had a certain dry yeast I wasn't using because he needed it this weekend and the supplier was out of it. It just so happened that I was sitting on some that I have no plans for ATM. I asked the boss expecting a ton of back and forth because of the corporate nature of this company but to my surprise he immediately answered to give permission to do so. :toot: So that's a nice thing that happened today.

Was this an email or a verbal conversation?

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

Outrail posted:

Was this an email or a verbal conversation?

Text. Turns out the guy isn't gonna use the yeast after all but it's nice to know it's a thing.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Outrail posted:

Dude absolutely did the right smart right thing*. IANAL but I think there's a thing in contracts where if the situation changes and people know it changed and don't do anything to rectify it, it becomes accepted. If it'd kept going for *period of time* maybe he could argue the company had accepted the change without complaint and therefore accepted the change in conditions? I'm not recalling this correctly but I'm sure I read something to that effect somewhere.

The guy had nothing to lose and everything to gain. He's either dumb as hell for not realizing what happened or smart to pretend he's dumb as hell.

* Assuming he works for a large company

I did a little insomnia Googling and learned something tonight!

Fun fact, even though we had it as boilerplate legalese in our contracts at that job it didn’t really matter at all, because here in the UK if an employer overpays you and then asks for it back they’re legally within their rights to just deduct it from your wages. (the “section 13” being referred to is the rules about things your employer can’t just withhold your wages for, so this entire thing is a carve out for “unless they overpaid you in which case give it back”)

Looking around there’s generally an expectation that they give you the opportunity to agree a sensible figure each month to not leave you completely hosed, but if you don’t play ball they can just withhold the money until they’re made whole.

Turns out we’re just as responsible for making sure we’re getting paid correctly as our employer is, essentially.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

You know that thing where you sleep on your arm funny and when you wake up it's all numb? Yeah that's my whole world right now.

cat botherer posted:

You've got some leverage there if you've got any documentation about your boss giving you the third degree about your religion.

It was all verbal, unfortunately. Honestly there's a lot about my job that's like this, it's all rednecks and other conservative men. I'm looking around for a new job. It pays really well, which sucks because it's not easy to find something comparable.