Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Leave posted:

What is a hermetic seal?

Something that doesn't let air or other gasses through.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Leave posted:

What is a hermetic seal?

Marine mammal that values privacy and solitude above all else!

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.

ultrafilter posted:

Something that doesn't let air or other gasses through.

Oh, I thought it was some fancy type of seal, like a

litany of gulps posted:

Marine mammal that values privacy and solitude above all else!

Yeah, this right here

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004
If I set up 2FA on my Google Account and print the QR code - can I use that QR code to setup the 2FA on any 2FA app forever or does it expire? For example, Google provides me with the QR code to get the 2FA codes -> I add it to my 2FA app -> 2 years down the line I want to use that printed QR code to set 2FA on a new app. All 2FA apps have the same code - this is possible?

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

This discussion says it should last forever since it just stores a secret and the secret is constant.

https://security.stackexchange.com/questions/253976/do-mfa-qr-registration-codes-keys-expire

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Is there a chrome extension or something that will make it so when I click a link to a steam page it opens it in the steam app and not my browser

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Badger of Basra posted:

Is there a chrome extension or something that will make it so when I click a link to a steam page it opens it in the steam app and not my browser

Does this work? https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/steam-url-opener/oiboilmeofgpoiopgjdllegafaaeblon?hl=en-GB

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

It's well-known that Uber Eats and Door dash and probably a few more create fake webpages and phone numbers for existing restaurants with the intent that people searching for food will order through them instead of the actual restaurant.

How in the world is that not textbook wire fraud? I'm not just complaining, I genuinely want to learn why this practice is legal

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Most likely it is illegal but the delivery services just don't give a gently caress.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

As far as I know, they don't create fake web pages. They add restaurants to the app without asking for permission. The trick is that they list the menu items at a crazy discount on the app, take a loss on paying the restaurant's higher price for a few months and then come to the owner to convince them to join the app, using the artificially inflated order numbers as proof that it will be profitable.

I listened to an interview with a guy who was running a pizza joint they did this to. He figured out what they were doing and ordered just massive amounts of his own "pizzas" (doughballs in a box) to his home every day. He earned a decent amount of money doing it.

E: This is obviously not terribly profitable for uber but keep in mind that until recently, the company only cared about expanding market share and investors didn't care if it was vomiting cash from every orifice.

Fruits of the sea fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Feb 24, 2023

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Manager Hoyden posted:

It's well-known that Uber Eats and Door dash and probably a few more create fake webpages and phone numbers for existing restaurants with the intent that people searching for food will order through them instead of the actual restaurant.

How in the world is that not textbook wire fraud? I'm not just complaining, I genuinely want to learn why this practice is legal

Given the state of the law and the wealth and power of these companies, when the penalty for breaking a law is a fine, the law is functionally a tax.

If caught, Uber or whoever will just pay the pitiful fine and move on.

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'

Manager Hoyden posted:

ianal but my sense is that wire fraud isn't a crime in itself: they'd have to be committing some other fraudulent crime, in which case, where's the harm? Is the consumer harmed if they get what they ordered (including extra delivery fees which would have been incurred if legit)? The restaurant likely has a case for copyright or trademark or whatever, but that's a civil action they'd have to pursue on their own.

But also...

Fruits of the sea posted:

As far as I know, they don't create fake web pages. They add restaurants to the app without asking for permission. The trick is that they list the menu items at a crazy discount on the app, take a loss on paying the restaurant's higher price for a few months and then come to the owner to convince them to join the app, using the artificially inflated order numbers as proof that it will be profitable.

I listened to an interview with a guy who was running a pizza joint they did this to. He figured out what they were doing and ordered just massive amounts of his own "pizzas" (doughballs in a box) to his home every day. He earned a decent amount of money doing it.

E: This is obviously not terribly profitable for uber but keep in mind that until recently, the company only cared about expanding market share and investors didn't care if it was vomiting cash from every orifice.

that's what the gambit actually is. Unethical as hell, but legally squishy

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

dupersaurus posted:

ianal but my sense is that wire fraud isn't a crime in itself: they'd have to be committing some other fraudulent crime, in which case, where's the harm? Is the consumer harmed if they get what they ordered (including extra delivery fees which would have been incurred if legit)? The restaurant likely has a case for copyright or trademark or whatever, but that's a civil action they'd have to pursue on their own.

No loss is required to prove wire fraud, just a scheme to defraud over interstate communication infrastructure

Trapick
Apr 17, 2006

Manager Hoyden posted:

No loss is required to prove wire fraud, just a scheme to defraud over interstate communication infrastructure
Who is being defrauded though? Presumably they're delivering the food. I could put up a craigslist ad saying "hey I'll pickup a Slurpee for you for $3", that's not fraud if I follow through.

Unless they're claiming to be 7-11, I guess.

edit: not saying this isn't sketchy/unethical obv, especially if they're using brand names/logos to make it look legit.

Trapick fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Feb 24, 2023

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

The consequences of this business model are that it can cause serious problems for restaurants that don't usually get dinner rushes, as well as food being delivered cold/not looking like the pictures. Which is not uncommon for places that focus on walk-in traffic. Plus Uber and co. will often show menu items that the restaurant doesn't even serve on the menu. They have to turn the delivery folks away.

Lots of unhappy customers.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Plus Uber and co. will often show menu items that the restaurant doesn't even serve on the menu.

I work at a fast food place and every now and then I'll get someone ordering something that stopped being sold years ago. It sucks getting yelled at when I have to call and say no, we haven't had that burger since 2017. No, I don't know why the third party company has it on their app.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb
Not to mention a common perception being spread through the neighborhood by a spurious website that "Burger at Slappy's Costs $5" when anyone buying from the restaurant is paying the $9 posted on the menu.

Suddenly, your restaurant can have the perception of jacking up prices due to the unethical business dealings of a third party.

Letmebefrank
Oct 9, 2012

Entitled
Is there a usb-c splitter? I mean a simple hub which would make a single usb-c port into many usb-c ports? I can find many solutions which work from usb-c to many usb-as (plus a plethora of other connections), but never more than a single pass-through usb-c port.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Do all-wheel-drive vehicles have a third differential connecting the front and rear axle? Does it differ in design from a typical differential and if so, how?

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Can I mix shampoo with water to put in my car windscreen washer reservoir? I've honestly tried finding proper windscreen wash everywhere but nowhere has it, for some reason??? Even the car wash places don't have it. In the UK you can just pick up massive jugs of windscreen washer fluid and pour it straight in.

I went to one place and they tried putting fairy liquid solution in and I told them to get lost cause that will just strip my paint over time.

Trapick
Apr 17, 2006

Letmebefrank posted:

Is there a usb-c splitter? I mean a simple hub which would make a single usb-c port into many usb-c ports? I can find many solutions which work from usb-c to many usb-as (plus a plethora of other connections), but never more than a single pass-through usb-c port.
There's one on https://www.nytimes.com/wirecutter/reviews/best-usb-c-hubs-and-docks/amp/ that might do what you want (the Satechi). But it can't do video or charging.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Qubee posted:

Can I mix shampoo with water to put in my car windscreen washer reservoir? I've honestly tried finding proper windscreen wash everywhere but nowhere has it, for some reason??? Even the car wash places don't have it. In the UK you can just pick up massive jugs of windscreen washer fluid and pour it straight in.

I went to one place and they tried putting fairy liquid solution in and I told them to get lost cause that will just strip my paint over time.

Shampoo is a bad idea. It will grow stuff. Like, maybe legionella.

If I couldn’t buy it off the shelf, I would make my own. Base of distilled water, twenty to fifty percent alcohol. Commercially, methanol is commonly used. Isopropyl or ethyl should be fine. A greater concentration is used in colder weather to prevent freezing. You need some to prevent microbial growth in warm weather.

You’ll need a detergent. Domestic dishwasher rinse aid is one of the purest and easiest to acquire. You want maybe one part of this per hundred parts water. I’d start with half that, drive around and use it for a while, add more if I thought the mix needed it.

Don’t sue me if this does something to your car. All I’m saying is that it’s less foolish than using plain water or fairy liquid.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Too much fiddling about, I'm just gonna stick with putting plain old water in.

On an unrelated note: I was about to go buy a $1000 Samsung tablet to help me at work, thankfully they were sold out and I had an epiphany on my drive home. Why the gently caress am I spending a grand on a glorified drawing tablet, when the only functionality I need from it is the ability to let me draw (accurately) on PDF documents. So I thought surely there must be a much cheaper alternative? I don't need a tablet. I just want to be able to open PDFs and annotate them / draw on them neatly and accurately. I chose such an expensive tablet because the screen quality is great and it's 14.something inches. But could I not just get one of those digital pads that artists use to draw on their computers? I could just plug that into my work laptop and annotate to my heart's desire.

Pic below is what I need it for. I usually hand draw this all on A3 paper but if I make a mistake (which I do often), it's a huge pain in the rear end as I gotta redraw everything from scratch. Doing it digitally on PDF would be way easier as I can just cut stuff, elongate, shift it around, copy paste. It would also help my document organization as right now I've got like 16 A3 pages on my desk and it's a nightmare keeping track of it all. Having digitally saved hand marked-up drawings in my project folder would be way easier. Overall, it would just make life much easier for me and I'd be able to complete tasks faster and cleaner.

So does anyone have any advice? One of those drawing pads would work but then I'd need to learn the whole hand eye coordination aspect. A drawing pad with a screen would be perfect, but I'm way out of my depth. Thank god I stopped for a second and used my brain though, that Samsung tablet would have been such a waste of money.

Qubee fucked around with this message at 12:54 on Feb 25, 2023

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Wacom tablets are (or were? been a while) the gold standard for professional drawing and annotation. Takes a little while to acclimatize to drawing while looking at a monitor but then they become a pleasure to work with.

Mano
Jul 11, 2012

why are "you" buying something for work? Shouldn't your work buy it for you?

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Wacom tablets are (or were? been a while) the gold standard for professional drawing and annotation. Takes a little while to acclimatize to drawing while looking at a monitor but then they become a pleasure to work with.

Cheers. I'm really stuck on whether to get the drawing pad or the drawing display models. I feel like the display models will be so much easier to use for my situation, and I won't have to devote a bunch of time to learning the hand eye coordination required for the pad versions.

Mano posted:

why are "you" buying something for work? Shouldn't your work buy it for you?

Because it's not necessary nor a requirement at all. It might streamline my work process and make life easier (or it might be a dud and not actually help that much at all). If it turns out to be beneficial, I will approach my department leader and tell him this should become standard equipment for all our guys and perhaps look at getting reimbursed. I'm just sick and tired of hand sketching stuff, because any mistake requires a complete re-do. I'll happily pay $500 of my own money if it makes the thing I do for a living easier and less frustrating.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

You could also try asking in the CC subforum. It's been years since I was shopping for a tablet so I hesitate to recommend Wacom fullheartedly. There's a chance the company has gone to poo poo in the meantime and touchscreens have advanced enough that there may be a better alternative.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

Qubee posted:

On an unrelated note: I was about to go buy a $1000 Samsung tablet to help me at work, thankfully they were sold out and I had an epiphany on my drive home. Why the gently caress am I spending a grand on a glorified drawing tablet, when the only functionality I need from it is the ability to let me draw (accurately) on PDF documents. So I thought surely there must be a much cheaper alternative? I don't need a tablet. I just want to be able to open PDFs and annotate them / draw on them neatly and accurately. I chose such an expensive tablet because the screen quality is great and it's 14.something inches. But could I not just get one of those digital pads that artists use to draw on their computers? I could just plug that into my work laptop and annotate to my heart's desire.

Pic below is what I need it for. I usually hand draw this all on A3 paper but if I make a mistake (which I do often), it's a huge pain in the rear end as I gotta redraw everything from scratch. Doing it digitally on PDF would be way easier as I can just cut stuff, elongate, shift it around, copy paste. It would also help my document organization as right now I've got like 16 A3 pages on my desk and it's a nightmare keeping track of it all. Having digitally saved hand marked-up drawings in my project folder would be way easier. Overall, it would just make life much easier for me and I'd be able to complete tasks faster and cleaner.

So does anyone have any advice? One of those drawing pads would work but then I'd need to learn the whole hand eye coordination aspect. A drawing pad with a screen would be perfect, but I'm way out of my depth. Thank god I stopped for a second and used my brain though, that Samsung tablet would have been such a waste of money.

Why are you drafting engineering drawings by hand? Not only is it tedious it seems like it’s missing the useful self-checking and verification capabilities that a modern drawing program would have. I think you’re in the ME so if the answer is just “it’s done differently here” I get it.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Lawnie posted:

Why are you drafting engineering drawings by hand? Not only is it tedious it seems like it’s missing the useful self-checking and verification capabilities that a modern drawing program would have. I think you’re in the ME so if the answer is just “it’s done differently here” I get it.

We have a CAD department who use said self-checking and verification capabilities of their software, but only once initial design is approved. No point giving pinpoint accuracy right off the bat, we need to convince the client first of our proposed solution with relative accuracy and once they agree to it, the next stage involves CAD and we get exact coordinates and do all our detailed engineering stuff generated by the software and existing drawings / measurements at field. I'm just tired of meticulously drawing a bunch of sketches and being super critical, only for the project not to progress.

I've decided against the drawing tablet as the price is practically just as expensive as the $1000 Samsung. So instead, as a proof of concept, I'm just going to get an affordable tablet with a stylus and see if it actually helps me much before dropping big bucks.

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

You could look into some of the newer e-ink tablets like the remarkable. They’re still expensive, but also are pretty good to sketch on.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Qubee posted:

Straight water will freeze and break stuff

You really can't find the stuff? IME it's at every gas station, auto parts store, walmart-type store, etc

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Isn’t that guy in the UK? Maybe they have a shortage, just like they have a shortage of everything else in their hell country

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Qubee posted:

I've decided against the drawing tablet as the price is practically just as expensive as the $1000 Samsung. So instead, as a proof of concept, I'm just going to get an affordable tablet with a stylus and see if it actually helps me much before dropping big bucks.

I bought the larger version of this https://www.amazon.co.uk/U1200-Drawing-Computer-Graphics-Battery-Free/dp/B09JG6R7NK a while ago and it does the job rather well. That said if you're in the ME I don't know how available it is there, and it seems in the US you have to bump the price up a lot to get a screen https://www.amazon.com/UGEE-Drawing-Support-Charging-Compatible/dp/B09ZTXQZTS

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
In the past couple weeks I've gotten several recovery emails sent to my Gmail account for a different Gmail address that I do not recognize. The emails appear to be from Google, and are in French. Is this just some poor shlub who somehow put an entirely wrong email as his recovery address, or is there some scam going on? If anyone's interested the raw content (with emails replaced) is at a Pastebin here.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
Anyone know what font this is:

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
Can someone tell me how the Titles in Tales of Symphonia work? If I equip the title that highlights a stat in green, is that stat given a passive boost or something?

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Courier?

Edit: the font, not the book title

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Courier?

Edit: the font, not the book title

Thanks

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

Mister Facetious posted:

Anyone know what font this is:

It seems to be Cumberland Bold.

https://www.myfonts.com/products/bold-cumberland-342851

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Is there a free or cheaper than Quickbooks bookkeeping software? I'm a one person small business and am tired of QuickBooks everchanging SaaS and just need something to do very basic bookkeeping-make invoices/receive payment, track expenses, spit out a balance sheet and year-end profit/loss statements, etc. Something that would import transactions from my credit card/bank account would be great. I don't need anything with integrated payments, inventory management, payroll, or anything complicated like that. Everything goes to my accountant, so if it could get spit out in a common format, so much the better.