Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

YggdrasilTM posted:

I really didn't like this chapter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

lol yup

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN
i'll be honest this arc isn't really engrossing to me yet either.

BoosterDuck
Mar 2, 2019
odas just setting everything up for the great war

like how infinity war was the setup for endgame

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

i honestly think it's the designs more than anything else that bug me. i dont mind setup, i loved wano's setup, but something isn't really gripping me here. it'll happen eventually tho

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
all the lore dumps and big setup reveals are keeping me on the edge of hte seat. Ancient tech! Amogus! Wapol and Vivi and :bignews:, Saul! One of the elders is just standing over there menacingly and now we know their names!

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

This arc feels like Punk Hazard but Oda's actually focused on moving the story forward. We're setting the stage for the next bunch of stories through a standalone adventure in an interesting setting, like we did in Punk Hazard. Enough time is being taken with events on Egghead, but it's all pretty quick and focused (unlike Punk Hazard). But we also keep cutting away to everything else that's developing.

All the cutaways to events elsewhere in the world are an important part of this arc. Usually such exciting digressions are left to the time between arcs, but there are a lot of pieces moving together now as the story we're following is clearly ramping up to be the story of the whole world.

Vast structures that have sat there immobile for all these years are finally moving. One of the personifications of the unstoppable world order is on a boat. Coming here. Latest chapter: Shanks is becoming a character who does things. It's all terribly exciting and kind of destabilizing as the status quo falls apart and the background becomes the foreground.

Heck, Vegapunk might be the most hyped character in the whole series. It's still kind of disconcerting to be running around talking with him.

That's what makes this arc exciting to me. The actual events in this arc are good, but the past buildup and future implications are great.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Oda is definitely cooking with this one

Delphisage
Jul 31, 2022

by the sex ghost
Shanks, Kizaru, Vegapunk, and a Gorousei are active players in an arc. Who would've seen this coming prior to hitting Laugh Tale or Mary Geoise?

lih
May 15, 2013

Just a friendly reminder of what it looks like.

We'll do punctuation later.
this arc is shaping up to be the best post-timeskip arc

skipmyseashells
Nov 14, 2020

tbp posted:

i honestly think it's the designs more than anything else that bug me. i dont mind setup, i loved wano's setup, but something isn't really gripping me here. it'll happen eventually tho

manga’s been flawless since luffy went gear 5

BoosterDuck
Mar 2, 2019

skipmyseashells posted:

manga’s been flawless since luffy went gear 5

you mean besides shanks appearing in wano for two chapters to promote film red..... uh, find one piece?

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

BoosterDuck posted:

you mean besides shanks appearing in wano for two chapters to promote film red..... uh, find one piece?

I loved Film Red so I'm glad he promoted it.

Thanks for telling me to watch Film Red 5 times, Shanks.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Shanks movie tour was dope. Telling WG to cut the poo poo from six miles away.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Unlike punk hazard this arc is good. So maybe they're opposites?

Much to think about.

skipmyseashells
Nov 14, 2020

BoosterDuck posted:

especially that part

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Unlike punk hazard this arc is good. So maybe they're opposites?

Much to think about.

Unlike Punk Hazard they're just getting straight into the biff

No tragic flashbacks for 5+ chapters.
Like gently caress me Stussy rocked up and half expected to have to read all about her infiltration for multiple chapters.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

BoosterDuck posted:

Honestly, it kind of feels like Film Red was to promote that moment. Shanks is one of the Four Emperors. Two of them just got taken out, and the other is Blackbeard. That was the time for Shanks to reenter the story.

I know Shanks has been a symbol for basically a quarter of a century, real time. But now he's here, and it's real. This is it. The end of One Piece. Shanks isn't going to be a vague inspiration for that. He's one of the main players, and he's going to be taking action.

Star Platinum
May 5, 2010
Shanks's appearance at Wano makes more sense in retrospect with the new chapter showing that he was heading for Elbaf, which just happens to be close to Wano. Like yeah it's real convenient but it's an acceptable explanation

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Infinitum posted:

Unlike Punk Hazard they're just getting straight into the biff

No tragic flashbacks for 5+ chapters.
Like gently caress me Stussy rocked up and half expected to have to read all about her infiltration for multiple chapters.

I'm excited for the bonney and kuma flashbacks tbh

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

Star Platinum posted:

Shanks's appearance at Wano makes more sense in retrospect with the new chapter showing that he was heading for Elbaf, which just happens to be close to Wano. Like yeah it's real convenient but it's an acceptable explanation
He said he was gonna go gently caress up Barto at the end of Wano so I guess they took a detour to go chop one of his arms off

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

skipmyseashells posted:

manga’s been flawless since lucky roux shot that guy

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

skipmyseashells posted:

manga’s been flawless since luffy took a bite of gum gum

ManSedan
May 7, 2006
Seats 4

skipmyseashells posted:

manga’s been flawless since yo ho ho he took a bite of gum gum

Delphisage
Jul 31, 2022

by the sex ghost

Okay, that's going too far.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
I wonder if Oda listens to the pirate rap as much as the fans.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Gyges posted:

I wonder if Oda listens to the pirate rap as much as the fans.

The pirate rap is gonna be the final OP of the anime redone in a Smash Ultimate "Everyone is Here" style.

Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

i think shaka is the traitor. he has a mask, his jacket literally says caution on it, hes often shown from the back and not the front, and when we first met him he straight up said he would be dead soon. hes hiding in plain sight

Delphisage
Jul 31, 2022

by the sex ghost

Paper Lion posted:

i think shaka is the traitor. he has a mask, his jacket literally says caution on it, hes often shown from the back and not the front, and when we first met him he straight up said he would be dead soon. hes hiding in plain sight

It'd be the most interesting outcome, certainly. Wonder who'd have to fight him, though.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

i'm the traitor. i'm sorry, i thought it would be funny

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
shaka being the traitor would be a sort of "i am offing all of the vegapunks and throwing my knowledge in a new body so the WG doesnt keep trying to execute me" sorta deal imo

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Drakkel posted:

The fact that so much of this arc has been about showing tons of characters forming groups and going after each other really makes it feel like we're gearing up for a massive finale and I dunno how to feel about it yet

It's really chess-piece-y and exciting. Between the secondary-characters-we-care-about getting abducted, all the big players all showing up in roughly the same area, and secondary-villians-we-love-to-hate showing up, it's a lot like watching a fireworks show. And we're still in the small bangs. :dance:

Really enjoying that he's taking the time to draw a lot of interactions between the SH crew proper.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

Arist posted:

i'm the traitor. i'm sorry, i thought it would be funny

i used to be an Important Person on the competitive pokemon website smogon.com and was invited to the Super Secret Moderator discords and everything and i would make this exact joke every time something leaked from there ("i'm the leaker, sorry, thought it'd be funny lol") and eventually one of the newer admins didn't know that i was loving around so they banned me and never let me back. thanks everyone for reading my post.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

tbp posted:

i used to be an Important Person on the competitive pokemon website smogon.com and was invited to the Super Secret Moderator discords and everything and i would make this exact joke every time something leaked from there ("i'm the leaker, sorry, thought it'd be funny lol") and eventually one of the newer admins didn't know that i was loving around so they banned me and never let me back. thanks everyone for reading my post.

Lol

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

tbp posted:

lmao

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

tbp posted:

From Uber to NU with you

Delphisage
Jul 31, 2022

by the sex ghost

tbp posted:

LOL

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.
I say this as a long time tbp fan, that may be your best post yet.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

MorningMoon posted:

From Uber to NU with you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Paper Lion posted:

This would be hard unless the person who gave the Seraphim the orders isn’t the traitor. Though I guess he could’ve done some galaxy brain thing like say “Attack all the Vegapunks(including me) and ignore my next order”
I do think this is meant to be a solvable mystery though, and all the current evidence points to Edison(though I think he’s a red herring)

RatHat fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Feb 25, 2023