Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mecha
Dec 20, 2003

「チェンジ ゲッタ-1! スイッチ オン!」

Warmachine posted:

We've all seen 0083 set to "Danger Zone," but what about Top Gun set to "The Winner?"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MGIPa9s1HDg
For my money, the reigning king of "The Winner" mashups is still https://vimeo.com/198373528.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
Mobile suits don't produce enough particles on their own to raise ambient particle density enough to really jam anything.

Combat minovsky particle dumping was one of the provinces of warships, because their reactors are big enough to meaningfully affect a large area's particle density. I'm almost 100% certain that they *could* be pumping out combat-density minovsky particles with the ships in Turn A like they do in UC, they just don't because the people fighting barely understand what real warfare actually is, nevermind somewhat esoteric stuff like "intentionally set the ship's reactor to dump out extra weird physics particles to turn off enemy radar".

The Turn A and Turn X reactors are absolutely "minovsky reactors", despite using weird micro black hole generators instead of fusion, simply because of their entire method of locomotion and their weapons requiring minovsky particles. Both of them are basically hollow shells that achieve mobility through a series of i-fields, which are explicitly composed of minovsky particles. Both of them also have numerous beam weapons, which are also reliant on particles.

chrome line
Oct 13, 2022

Tulalip Tulips posted:

Oh... oh no...(who's Touga then?)

I guess it'd have to be Shaddiq. His shirt's open enough for it

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

If somebody was spreading Minovsky particles, I would simply spread Minovsky triangles. Triangle wins.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Waffleman_ posted:

If somebody was spreading Minovsky particles, I would simply spread Minovsky triangles. Triangle wins.

Can we be sure that's true? I'm pretty sure the Gundam universe is seldom kind to smaller man.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Darth Walrus posted:

The dude Guel wrecked was in a Heindree, which is the same generation as the Beneritt Group's other suits.

No, he isn't; he's in a Kapell-Kuu. The official site has actually added the unit in the weeks since the first episode aired, but it's not even listed as a unit alongside others in the "mobile suits" section and is instead just given an entry in the glossary. So we don't even have a full picture of it.

quote:

A mobile suit manufactured by Hammerfield company. Guel the current Holder, battles in a duel on the day of Suletta's arrival. The male student who pilots it, is penalized for his defeat by being made to apologize like a groveling worm.

It's pretty clearly modeled on a Zaku, with a mono-eye sensor and spiked shield; which through the visual language of the franchise would make it a rather basic unit, and probably at least one generation behind the norm since the Zaku II was already starting to be phased out by the start of the original show and the appearance of the RX-78-2 just hastened it's demise. The only other unit treated that way is the units that Elan4 fights in the opening of episode 5? 6? when he's practising for his duel with the Aerial. Those units are apparently called Clibarri.

quote:

A Daigo company mobile suit piloted by three students who have challenged Elan's single Zowort to a duel. Even in a three-on-one match, it suffers a miserable defeat.

I'm not sure if the Hammerfield and Daigo companies are part of the Benerit Group or external to it, or if non-Benerit Group company sponsored students are even allowed in Asticassia. I think you need a Benerit Group sponsorship to attend, so they're probably just minor companies like the Mercury Company that Prospera heads.

chiasaur11 posted:

That's the problem, yeah. Witch is currently one of the most detail-light settings Gundam's ever had. Presumably we'll have more in season 2, but the fact we don't even know if the Earth has a unified government, or if there's any kind of power in space other than the corps... you get more detail on the state of the setting from the opening cutscene of Armored Core 4 than the entire first season of Witch from Mercury.

Is it? G Gundam and Gundam Wing had really little detail to a lot of the setting by the time the shows were done, and Gundam AGE has probably some of the worst world building in the franchise, because the director figured fans would like and want to fill in any gaps he left. Hino might even have been right that fans would enjoy filling in gaps, but he left a loving wide open sports arena by comparison and no-one wants that. Beyond that though, the original show has very little detail to the setting 12 episodes in really. A lot of what people "know" about the events of those episodes now is backformed by information provided either later in the show or just supplementary material. The original show basically just tells you there's a war in space between the Federation and Zeon, that Zeon controls North America and that's kind of it. We have very little information on the world or even the nature of the conflict by the end of episode 12.

I think the reason the dearth of information on the setting for Witch stands out is less because it's unusually light and more because the show has mostly concentrated it's action on one area we still don't have a ton of information on, along with the fact we have a 3+ month long wait between episodes after only 12 episodes of the show. The shortest season for a main show before this was 25 episodes, so there's a lot more real estate to squeeze details into and do some world building and narrative.

MechaX posted:

The Minovsky Particle discussion got me thinking of something else on a side-tangent; did anyone ever identify the existence of Minovsky particles in Gundam X or Turn A?

With X, I can see that never coming out, but with Turn A.. uh.. they unearth suits that use the stuff?

https://s1.webmshare.com/Qb8ea.webm

I don't think it's ever mentioned by name in either show, but Loran does mention to Fran at one point after they return to Earth in the last few episodes of Turn A Gundam that there's some magnetic intererence in the area affecting radar and communications so that units have to fight in melee range, and that is almost certainly an indirect reference to Minovsky particles.

Warmachine posted:

The Turn A and Turn X explicitly don't use Minovsky reactors, and the Moonrace itself has been active this whole time and probably has better/cleaner reactor tech by now. At the end of the day, the dozen or so Kapools of the Inglessa militia and the Zaku's the Luisianna militia were fielding weren't going to put out enough particles passively to appreciably screw up what amounts to inter-war radio communications, and the Earthrace wouldn't have even known they could crack open one of those suckers for EWAR reasons until after viewing the Dark History.

The impression I got from Turn A Gundam is that the Moonrace are using tech they don't really understand and haven't actually created themselves for the most part too, and the SUMO, WaDom, Mahiroo etc. that are in use prior to the series are seemingly all units they've just inherited from some prior civilization in some fashion. There's a scene in episode 22 of Turn A Gundam where Harry goes to find the real Dianna to bring her back at Kihel's orders, and wears a disguise as a mechanic to infiltrate the Wilgame's digsite in order to do so. While there, he gets in conversation with Sid (the really small archeologist and engineer working for Guin) and Horace (a Moonrace engineer and nanotechnologist who defects in objection to the Moonrace militia's actions) about the history of the Turn A where Sid says that the Turn A is probably about 2,350 years old, and Harry in response says that the SUMO seems to be from the same era.

The fact neither he, or Horace (who doesn't correct him on the SUMO's history) are sure about the origins of the SUMO despite having video records of the civilizations that precede them implies that the Moonrace aren't entirely sure about the history of their own units, some of which use several different naming schemes. The Bandit and Zssan use GM-F naming schemes, the SUMO, Muttowooo and WaD use MRC naming schemes (which probably stands for Moon Race something and so presumably are the units most closely tied to them in some fashion), Corin's Eagail uses a TAF naming scheme and the WaD uses a Neo Japan style JMA naming scheme; presumably as a reference to G Gundam itself, since it's director, Yasuhiro Imagawa, is one of Tomino's protegees and Tomino specifically suggested him as who Sunrise should have direct the next show after Tomino himself stepped away following Victory Gundam.

It creates the impression that the Moonrace have just cobbled together various tech from prior civilizations and eras into a patchwork that worked to help them survive, but don't really have a full understanding of some of it and perhaps that's why despite having really advanced technology to some degree like cryostasis pods, they could never actually advance out of hiding on the Moon and were unable to expand their living space or improve their lives and so just kind of had to wait for the Earth to be livable again. A situation that disgusted Gym, and which he thought war was the answer to since he saw it as the root of the ambition and creativity in other eras, presumably because war was anathema to the Moonrace given how delicate their environment was without Earth as a fallback, and both war and creativity were kind of gone from the Moonrace culture.

I would note here that Sid, Horace and Harry kind of have to be wrong about the Turn A's age though, because they estimate it at 2,350 years old and we later get information from Dianna that the UC calendar was in use either 5,000 or 10,000 years ago (depending on whether you're watching the movies or the TV show; still not sure why that was changed from on to the other), and Sweatson Sutero even implies that Gym Ghingham is 3,000 years old due to cryogenesis. Which would mean he's older than the Turn A and must have been alive when it battled the Turn X to scar it, to see it destroy Earth's civilization etc. Which just can't be right. The wording on that scene is a bit ambiguous, and Sweaton may just be referring to the Ghingham family rather than Gym personally, but even then the fact that his family's import and known history predates the Turn A if that were accurate seems a bit odd.

The Dark History notes that the Turn A's attack ended the Dark History, after which the Moonrace presumably formed and went into basically homeostasis to protect themselves while waiting for Earth, but that's still 5,000 to 10,000 years ago rather than the 2,350 years that Sid estimates and which seems incompatible with the ages of some of the Moonrace people or families.

Warmachine posted:

The way Unicorn framed it (even though it came after Turn A so... ex post facto whatever) the Minovsky particles will eventually spread out and become ineffective unless someone is intentionally dumping them into the area--hence the comments about the particle density "increasing" and "not normalizing" being a pretty clear indication that despite not being able to see anything with sensors, something out there doesn't want to be seen.

The depiction of Minovsky particles in the original show is a bit vague on how exactly they work, but what is clear is that they're not an omnipresent thing across the setting or anything. The first time they're mentioned, Char asks in episode 4 about the Minovsky particle density around Luna II and Dren replies that it's a little low but they should be undetectable even so close which implies the density is subject to change, while Garma talks in episode 7 about the air above his base being impenetrable to radar because of Minovsky particles. Both of these are bases, and so probably spread a permanent cloud of particles around themselves for protection despite the disadvantages.

On the other hand, Oscar and Marker, the two bridge dudes on the White Base mention using radar a couple of times outside battle, and there's mention at one point of M'Quve having taken out the White Base's Minovsky particle emitters. The picture it builds is that Minovsky particles are spread in larger combat scenarios, but the density can fluctuate. Which is how supplementary media has been talking about it since the early 80s too, in things like Gundam Century. There was a plan at one point according to early setting material to have Minovsky particles just be a blanket thing that covered the entirety of the Earthsphere due to heavy usage of particles and radiation weapons that amplified their effects at the start of the One Year War, but that obviously changed before the show actually made it to air and it's a lot more contextual as is.

There's mention of the usage of radar and spreading particles during combat in pretty much every UC entry after that point as well. I know I checked for it in the sub files for Zeta Gundam, Gundam ZZ, Char's Counterattack, Gundam F91 and Victory Gundam at one point and saw it in all of them, and I'm pretty sure it was in at least some of the OVAs too.

Kanos posted:

Mobile suits don't produce enough particles on their own to raise ambient particle density enough to really jam anything.

Combat minovsky particle dumping was one of the provinces of warships, because their reactors are big enough to meaningfully affect a large area's particle density. I'm almost 100% certain that they *could* be pumping out combat-density minovsky particles with the ships in Turn A like they do in UC, they just don't because the people fighting barely understand what real warfare actually is, nevermind somewhat esoteric stuff like "intentionally set the ship's reactor to dump out extra weird physics particles to turn off enemy radar".

Mobile suits don't produce enough particles on their own for most of UC, but there is several scenes in Victory Gundam of mobile suits explicity spreading Minovsky particles, so it was something they were capable of late in UC. We see Grimoire's in the opening episode of G-Reco spread some kind of particles too, and that's almost certainly Minovsky particles. It's the providence of battleships more than mobile suits though, yeah and it wasn't even a major facet of all warships originally so far as I can tell looking at supplementary material. The White Base is the first Federation ship to use a Minovsky craft engine that produces it's own supply of Minovsky particles, and no Principality ship does so from what I gather and I came across conflicting information in data books when I went looking into it a few years back on whether the capacity to spread them was native to some/most ships during the One Year War.

I'm just going off memory here and have no source, so pinch of salt and all that, but some books listed the White Base as being the only ship in the war capable of actually spreading Minovsky particles on it's own and stated that outside of this that fleets had to fill cargo ships like the Papua class with Minovsky particles and dump their stock at the start to actually make use of Minovsky particles in combat, while others talked about use of Minovsky particles just being a fairly regular thing and the White Base standing out because it's Minovsky craft engine allowed it to fly/float on Earth and exit the atmosphere unaided (which Zeon's Zanzibar class could also do at the very least).

Waffleman_ posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=thOifuHs6eY

I'll leave it to someone far more educated on the subject (and in general) as well as eloquent to make the case, but: hexagons are the bestagons.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

tsob posted:

Is it? G Gundam and Gundam Wing had really little detail to a lot of the setting by the time the shows were done, and Gundam AGE has probably some of the worst world building in the franchise, because the director figured fans would like and want to fill in any gaps he left. Hino might even have been right that fans would enjoy filling in gaps, but he left a loving wide open sports arena by comparison and no-one wants that. Beyond that though, the original show has very little detail to the setting 12 episodes in really. A lot of what people "know" about the events of those episodes now is backformed by information provided either later in the show or just supplementary material. The original show basically just tells you there's a war in space between the Federation and Zeon, that Zeon controls North America and that's kind of it. We have very little information on the world or even the nature of the conflict by the end of episode 12.

Episode 2 of G Gundam laid out pretty much all the basics of the setting. Earth got hosed up, people formed space nations, and to avoid having another war that would gently caress space up too, they set up the Gundam fight, where a chosen champion from each nation would fight until only one was left, settling who was in charge until the next Gundam fight.

It's not the detailed history of who won what Gundam fight, the technology is given "It just works!" treatment in the show itself, and we get little insight into the measures by which the various nations settle disputes beyond the Gundam fight, but the basic outline of the setting is all out there in the opening narration before we even meet Neo America's favorite son.

Similarly, AGE is bad, but we know there's been a war going on for over a decade, that Earth has a unified government, and that the enemy is an unknown group with super-advanced mobile suits that have never been defeated until Flit comes along. We also know that, before the current era, Earth was plagued with other wars that were ended by the legendary Gundam.

It's really basic stuff, just like the opening monologue to the original Gundam... but it's basic rear end stuff that Witch is incredibly reluctant to give out. Is Earth unified or divided into nation states? Was there a catastrophic war recently, or was it only rare brushfire incidents until recently? Is there anyone who could march up to Delling, slap him in the face, and tell him that if he doesn't want his company forfeited he'd better get Uncle Sam his loving Darilbaldes by Friday, or is Delling able to walk into Space Parliment and tell them that he can buy and sell them without consequence?

We don't know. While Witch provides a lot more details on some parts of its setting than G ever did (for example, we know multiple MS manufacturing firms, and have more established about life on Mercury than G gives us for its trips out to Saturn), we still have the most basic questions left as questions.

It's a very different approach from any other Gundam I can think of, and I admit, it doesn't sit as well with me. With shows like War in the Pocket, the larger conflicts provide a context for the small personal stories. There's extra tension because we see the bomb under the table. This, meanwhile, feels more like an episode of the Twilight Zone where it turns out it (was/wasn't) Earth all along. There's information being kept back that would tell us a good deal about the setting in a hurry, and we aren't getting it.

On the one end, this could pay off. To go for other mecha adjacent series, the things we weren't told about Attack on Titan's context radically changed the story, and every episode of Gridman showed that new assumptions about the setting were wrong. On the other, we already had the show take most of its first season to confirm that Prospera was Elnora after making it incredibly obvious in episode 2.

The most frustrating thing for me about it, I think, is that it's keeping things from us that half a minute of conversation could find "in setting". You grab a kid off the street in IBO, he couldn't tell you much about the Calamity War, beyond that it happened, but he'd know the jackbooted cops were Gjallarhorn, that they worked for the rich people on Earth, and maybe even that there were four powers. Grab a random person off the street in Witch, they probably wouldn't know much about the politics of the Benerit group compared to the viewer, but he'd know if there was one guy in charge of Earth or many, if there were many wars going on lately, and what life looked like outside of schools for the ultra-rich.

We're getting things from the exact opposite end of where things typically exposit, and it stands out. If it was a different writer, I'd lean harder on "this is deliberate, there's going to be something crazy revealed soon", but this is still Okouchi, so I have more doubts. The man is incredible for selling a big moment, but his setting details tend to be sloppier as a compromise. (I'll gesture here at Planetes anime versus manga to illustrate my point. The show... changes some things.)

But yeah. For good or ill (hard to know until we're done) Witch is taking a very different approach from previous Gundams when it comes to the setting, and not noticing it feels weird to me.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

I think some of that comes from the characters and setting of witch being largely unconcerned with those details.

Suletta and company (up until Episode 12 anyway) haven't had reason to care about things like the political factions of Earth--we know that people are divided broadly into two categories of "Earthians" and "Spacians" and that Spacians are considered the higher class and Earthian is synonymous with backwards and impoverished. And if we take Chuchu's word for it, this is because of Spacian-centric policy that comes from more or less monopolizing the rest of the solar system--which we have no reason to discount.

For wars, we can infer by the absence of chatter about big wars that no there hasn't been. But the show has now shown us that at least one Earthian faction uses guerilla/terrorist tactics to strike at Spacians, which suggests the "defense concerns" of Spacians are the same kind of concerns as Americans following 9/11 (all baggage included). This isn't explicitly stated, but I think it's all pretty easy to infer from what we've seen and I'd be surprised if the show opened episode 13 by contradicting any of it.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
There's mention of a prior drone war in the prologue, which Delling seems to have been invovled in but that probably took place 30 years or more before the show itself, so Suletta and co are unlikey to be concerned about it even if Elnora, Cardo etc. in the prologue may have been partially motivated by it.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Basically it's like if there was a show set in an American high school in the 80s about the daily life of Olivetta North, and in the season finale Nicaraguan soldiers attacked the school. And we're trying to figure out the Iran-Contra scandal based on a couple random clues dropped in casual dialogue from Olivetta's parents.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
There's also video evidence of spacian armed forces suppressing Earthicans

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

MechaX posted:

The Minovsky Particle discussion got me thinking of something else on a side-tangent; did anyone ever identify the existence of Minovsky particles in Gundam X or Turn A?

With X, I can see that never coming out, but with Turn A.. uh.. they unearth suits that use the stuff?

Knowing is not the same as understanding.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Gripweed posted:

Basically it's like if there was a show set in an American high school in the 80s about the daily life of Olivetta North, and in the season finale Nicaraguan soldiers attacked the school. And we're trying to figure out the Iran-Contra scandal based on a couple random clues dropped in casual dialogue from Olivetta's parents.

...except we're pretty explicitly told why the terrorist attack happens before it happens and also during it happening. Shaddiq wants delling dead because mercury company + delling's shares that miorine inherits do not add up to a majority claim on the benerit group, creating an unclear line of succession and the opportunity for him to break up the group. So shaddiq used nika to contact an earthian mercenary group (which has possession of the other 2 lfriths seen in the prologue and appears to have extensively modified since) that he's had previous dealings with to attack the station delling is at. I don't really know what more information you could want about this, who the benerit group's competitors are and why there's an illegal earthian mercenary company seem like unnecessary footnotes to understanding the events of the show.

It's like if a student was shown on screen calling the Nicaraguan government to tell them that he can make attacking the school worth their while, then after hanging up turns to his friend and says "I want them to attack the school because the principal gave me detention and I'm really mad about that." The Iran-contra scandal wouldn't really be necessary to know about.

EDIT: you know i think i may have missed the actual point being made

ninjewtsu fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Feb 23, 2023

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

with the creators explicitly talking about aiming for a younger demo its likely that they intentionally arent doing giant lore dumps and keeping expository stuff to a minimum i norder not to feel like reading you have to catch up on or like you might be missing something

we know the broad strokes and the things that are important to our characters and what about the world motivates them, the exact specifics aren't necessarily required

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

also speaking of backstory details,

https://twitter.com/baronau1/status/1628397243421302786

according to the novels it seems that miorine's former fiance (before the holder stuff) was also a woman which goes a long way to explaining how she talks to suletta about it in ep 1

ofc the novels arent necessarily directly canon but they're still Official Material so they at least imply things about how they want the characters to be perceived

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Endorph posted:

with the creators explicitly talking about aiming for a younger demo its likely that they intentionally arent doing giant lore dumps and keeping expository stuff to a minimum i norder not to feel like reading you have to catch up on or like you might be missing something

we know the broad strokes and the things that are important to our characters and what about the world motivates them, the exact specifics aren't necessarily required

We're also getting that side story about the other witch, so there'll be supplementary material to fill stuff in

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

so i guess bandai has been copyright claiming a bunch of gundam stuff on youtube? seems the victory bikini suicide squad clip got taken down, very unfortunate

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
Funny thing is G Gundam actually has one of the most comprehensively detailed timelines of any of the Gundam settings, probably because Future Century only covers 60 years between it beginning and the the events of G Gundam happening(and aside from the "Earth Chaos Wars" that led to the status quo of the Neo Nations ruling the Earth we don't really need to know much of anything not relating to the Gundam Fight), like for example we know every winning nation of all 12 Gundam Fights prior to the 13th(even if three of those are just Neo England and Noble Chapman)

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
Gentle Chapman's iconic fighting style of "bring a mobile suit sized elephant gun to a martial arts competition" truly embodies the spirit of England.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

There are only three things certain in life Death, Taxes, Perfidious Albion

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

tsob posted:

There's mention of a prior drone war in the prologue, which Delling seems to have been invovled in but that probably took place 30 years or more before the show itself, so Suletta and co are unlikey to be concerned about it even if Elnora, Cardo etc. in the prologue may have been partially motivated by it.

Except we know at least one of Suletta's classmates from Earth is a war orphan, so there has to have been at least one decent sized war in the last 20 years.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Kanos posted:

Gentle Chapman's iconic fighting style of "bring a mobile suit sized elephant gun to a martial arts competition" truly embodies the spirit of England.

Not to mention it's so OP before Master Asia shows up that they not only win 3 times in a row, it also riles up all the other countries up to the point where they had to suspend the Gundam Fight for four extra years between the 11th and 12th

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

chiasaur11 posted:

Except we know at least one of Suletta's classmates from Earth is a war orphan, so there has to have been at least one decent sized war in the last 20 years.

"Decent sized" has a lot of asterisks on it, given that the classmate is from Earth. Which, from what we can infer at this point, is basically a planet-sized failed state. If you can even reasonably call "Earth" a state, since that implies a level of cohesion between regions on Earth that simply may not exist. Geopolitics hasn't mattered much to the narrative up to this point and it may well continue to not matter depending on how things with the Dawn of Fold shake out.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Warmachine posted:

"Decent sized" has a lot of asterisks on it, given that the classmate is from Earth. Which, from what we can infer at this point, is basically a planet-sized failed state. If you can even reasonably call "Earth" a state, since that implies a level of cohesion between regions on Earth that simply may not exist. Geopolitics hasn't mattered much to the narrative up to this point and it may well continue to not matter depending on how things with the Dawn of Fold shake out.

That's the thing. We don't know. It's a huge part of multiple character's backgrounds (Nika, Chuchu, and Nuno, at minimum), but we don't get the details to contextualize them.

Is Nuno a war orphan because the whole Earth was caught up in a massive conflict with space? That sets up one line for Chuchu's rage and Nika's history with terrorist groups. Was Earth embroiled in a rolling series of brushfire wars that just calmed down? That's a different angle. Is there a Pax Economica, where the Spacenoids came in like the wrath of God and put a stop to massive conflicts on Earth, installing themselves as an authority in the process? That's yet a third set of circumstances, and all of them say different things about Nuno's acceptance and Chuchu's anger.

These aren't far-off abstracts for the main cast, like the show and interviews implied earlier. These are big parts of some of their lives and their worldviews, but we don't get enough information to see how their lives are shaped.

I can't speak for anyone else, but this lack of setting information... it tasks me. It tasks me and I shall have it! I'll chase it round the season and round the series and round Side Three and round perdition's flames before I give it up.

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

DID NOT VOTE FOR FETTERMAN
What do the countries that win the WWF champion belt do with their hegemonic powers?

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

War and Pieces posted:

What do the countries that win the WWF champion belt do with their hegemonic powers?

colony drop off the top rope

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

War and Pieces posted:

Probably not much normally as 4 years is a very short time to achieve much of anything politically, in fact Neo England being able to hold onto to power for 16 years was probably the only time since the earliest days of the Gundam Fight where much of anything got done, and most of that probably happened during the last four year stretch when they suspended the GF from happening(and probably would have made that permanent if Master Asia hadn't won the 12th fight)

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

The best part of AGE is finally getting some representation

https://twitter.com/gundam_ab/status/1628713965659500547?s=20

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

They made so much AGE merch it clogged store shelves and led directly to our current P-Bandai geohell, but they didn't make a kit of that awesome construction suit.

And then like three years later they started intentionally adding a barebones utilitarian looking Suit to every Gundam series just so they could make a kit of it but still no Desperado. What a hosed situation.

Gripweed fucked around with this message at 15:13 on Feb 24, 2023

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

chiasaur11 posted:

That's the thing. We don't know. It's a huge part of multiple character's backgrounds (Nika, Chuchu, and Nuno, at minimum), but we don't get the details to contextualize them.

Is Nuno a war orphan because the whole Earth was caught up in a massive conflict with space? That sets up one line for Chuchu's rage and Nika's history with terrorist groups. Was Earth embroiled in a rolling series of brushfire wars that just calmed down? That's a different angle. Is there a Pax Economica, where the Spacenoids came in like the wrath of God and put a stop to massive conflicts on Earth, installing themselves as an authority in the process? That's yet a third set of circumstances, and all of them say different things about Nuno's acceptance and Chuchu's anger.

These aren't far-off abstracts for the main cast, like the show and interviews implied earlier. These are big parts of some of their lives and their worldviews, but we don't get enough information to see how their lives are shaped.

I can't speak for anyone else, but this lack of setting information... it tasks me. It tasks me and I shall have it! I'll chase it round the season and round the series and round Side Three and round perdition's flames before I give it up.

What makes it interesting is the show knows exactly what it is and isn't telling us and plays its cards very close to the chest. It's not like, say, the Calamity War in IBO that really only exists to dress up background details of the plot, whatever's going on outside of Asticassia and the Plant is deliberately being obfuscated for the time being to deny us context outside of incidental dialogue. The closest you can really guess at is Capitalist Spacians probably hosed up Earth in the name of profit, Earthians are stuck living with the consequences while Spacians don't have to worry about things like recycling and the environment. Anything else is an open question, including why there's such a high demand for Mobile Suits.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

The Yetee has a pretty nice G-Witch shirt up today

https://theyetee.com/

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

Waffleman_ posted:

The Yetee has a pretty nice G-Witch shirt up today

https://theyetee.com/

It's cute and I bought it. Yetee shirts are pretty good quality.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

https://twitter.com/zeonicscans/status/1629247935849586688?s=20

This is 16 years before the series and 5 years after the prologue

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies

Neddy Seagoon posted:

What makes it interesting is the show knows exactly what it is and isn't telling us and plays its cards very close to the chest. It's not like, say, the Calamity War in IBO that really only exists to dress up background details of the plot, whatever's going on outside of Asticassia and the Plant is deliberately being obfuscated for the time being to deny us context outside of incidental dialogue. The closest you can really guess at is Capitalist Spacians probably hosed up Earth in the name of profit, Earthians are stuck living with the consequences while Spacians don't have to worry about things like recycling and the environment. Anything else is an open question, including why there's such a high demand for Mobile Suits.

yeah this has to be the case, they're playing coy because we're following suletta and she doesn't really know things

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

tsob posted:

it's part of a broader set of Crossbone Gundam manga all written by a guy called Youichi Hasegawa. It might be otherwise known as "that pirate Gundam manga". The art is pretty wonky in them, and the somewhat slapstick tone doesn't suit everyone but if you want a more light hearted Gundam story in UC you could do worse. Hasegawa is also the only guy doing anything in Late UC, and his Crossbone stuff has covered several decades across 4 or 5 different manga at this point since he started them in the mid-90s.

Is Hasegawa also doing that Gundam Warring States thing that is post-Crossbone?

Asking over here to avoid mucking up the G Witch thread further.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Arc Hammer posted:

Is Hasegawa also doing that Gundam Warring States thing that is post-Crossbone?

Asking over here to avoid mucking up the G Witch thread further.

Hasegawa is the only one to ever do any of the Crossbone stuff, yeah. It's basically his little pocket of UC, and it's Crossbone: Dust and it's successor Crossbone: X-11 you're thinking of, since both take place in UC0169 (i.e. after Victory Gundam, which was UC0153), when some Sides have broken free of a weakened Federation. X-11, the newest, ongoing work, is basically a side story set during the events of Dust, which wrapped up a while ago. I don't think Dust was ever fully translated.

tsob fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Feb 28, 2023

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Kchama posted:

I think Crossbone is based off of Tomino's own writings rather than wholly invented by Youichi Hasegawa. It's apparently his thing of taking other people's writing and converting it into manga from my understanding.

Zeonic has the original draft Tomino wrote up, and my understanding is that Tomino handed Hasegawa that to do as he wanted with, after which the project was out of Tomino's hands. Which is to say Hasegawa completely changed it, and his version bears only superficial similarities to what Tomino suggested with a different main character, different enemy, different tone, different personalities for the characters it keeps and so on. So what Hasegawa did with the original Crossbone Gundam manga is technically based on Tomino's writing, but only very loosely, and Tomino wasn't involved in any of the sequels at all.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

https://twitter.com/gundamevolution/status/1630946264077701120?s=19

Holy poo poo

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
If only Campbell Lane was alive to do that voiceover. But I'll settle for a Toonami callback, thanks, Steve.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

That was awesome. I'm sure they got him back for us fans and I appreciate when they do stuff like that.