Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

wolrah posted:

but my Brother printer's 802.11g sure as poo poo would cause my 2.4GHz network to suck if I tried to use it.

I have an app on my phone that shows me what channel all the nearby wifi networks are using, so I can configure my router to use the least-busy one. If your printer and your wifi router are on different channels they won't interfere with each other.

e. on the Android store, Wifi Analyzer from VREM shows channel width as well as primary channel.

My network is called "Diseases"

Channel 4 is the most available so I have it running on channel 4.

Some rear end in a top hat running "Campana" is squatting on a big wide set of channels, lol

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Feb 24, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
When I had my house torn up for a partial remodel I asked the contractor to run two 3" PVC pipes from my basement to my attic.

Then I never did anything with them.

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

Leperflesh posted:

I have an app on my phone that shows me what channel all the nearby wifi networks are using, so I can configure my router to use the least-busy one. If your printer and your wifi router are on different channels they won't interfere with each other.

e. on the Android store, Wifi Analyzer from VREM shows channel width as well as primary channel.

My network is called "Diseases"

Channel 4 is the most available so I have it running on channel 4.

Some rear end in a top hat running "Campana" is squatting on a big wide set of channels, lol

Just FYI due to how wide the channels actually are in the 2.4 GHz band, there's really only three channels that are completely separate from one another - 1, 6 and 11. The others overlap in bandwidth on these three.

But you shouldn't be using 2.4 at this point if you can avoid it (obviously hard to do with lovely IOT things that have 802.11g from 2009 even though the product was designed in 2018), and one of the big benefits of 5 GHz is that there are a lot more channels that don't interfere with one another, depending on how wide you select your channels to be.

StormDrain posted:

What's a bunch? For two wires just drill a hole up into the wall from the crawlspace and another down from the attic and fish the wire through. I reccomend using firberglash fish rods, and have two boxes of wire and do both at once.

For two dozen wires.... Bigger holes, and more time. Maybe do two to four at a time depending the total length.

There's also Siamese cable (don't look at me, that's what it's called and I'm gonna just go with someone liked the joke of "siamese cat...6"), and if you're running two drops at a time it's better because not only do you not have to manage two separate cables, but it's harder to kink/break the cable since it's a little stiffer.

slurm
Jul 28, 2022

by Hand Knit
Oops this was the wrong thread, well, maybe I'll gently caress it up and it will be right. Probably want to do 3 POE cameras in the crawl, 2 TVs, my wife's office, 2 access points, and the run from the fiber jack. Guess I better get to drilling. The upside is because the PO built a weird trunk to hide his VCRs in I don't have to worry about any of this being where I'll drill through it in the future no matter how off kilter it ends up.

First of May
May 1, 2017
🎵 Bring your favorite lady, or at least your favorite lay! 🎵

All of my issues with wifi being poor or congested went away when I got a mesh network. I still use ethernet for all of my installed devices though. Wifi is just for phones/laptops/tablets.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

SyNack Sassimov posted:

Just FYI due to how wide the channels actually are in the 2.4 GHz band, there's really only three channels that are completely separate from one another - 1, 6 and 11. The others overlap in bandwidth on these three.

But you shouldn't be using 2.4 at this point if you can avoid it (obviously hard to do with lovely IOT things that have 802.11g from 2009 even though the product was designed in 2018), and one of the big benefits of 5 GHz is that there are a lot more channels that don't interfere with one another, depending on how wide you select your channels to be.

There's also Siamese cable (don't look at me, that's what it's called and I'm gonna just go with someone liked the joke of "siamese cat...6"), and if you're running two drops at a time it's better because not only do you not have to manage two separate cables, but it's harder to kink/break the cable since it's a little stiffer.

Yeah I showed 2.4 even though most of my stuff is on 5g because there's no interference at all for me on 5g right now, the chart is just showing my router. Last time I looked, which was months ago, everyone else was on 153 or something so I put mine on 161.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

Scrungus
Nov 21, 2022

canyoneer posted:

I bought this house a year ago, and when I moved in found out that the prior owner had wired every single room with 2 Ethernet drops, all terminating in a big patch panel in the closet next to the fiber drop.

Turns out the prior owner owned an IT consulting firm, so all that stuff was done very right. Bless you, prior owner.

Why a patch panel and not just a big dumb switch?

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

It's a Polish restaurant.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Scrungus posted:

Because there are literally no good reasons to do something like that. Not every drop needs to be live all the time. A dumb switch still needs electricity, a patch panel does not. Terminating building wiring with a RJ45 is stupid. Labeling drop locations will be a headache. Makes routing needlessly difficult. Etc etc etc

I guess there is one single good reason, but only if you're an rear end in a top hat: you can take it with you when you move out, and force the new owner to tone every drop to figure out where they go

Sirotan fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Feb 24, 2023

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

Scrungus posted:

You should terminate on a patch panel for a legitimate structured cabling design. That way the "permanent link" cabling from your patch panel to your outlet will never need to change. If your equipment changes or you need to mount the equipment somewhere else, then you can adjust with a patch cord. It makes it easier to install cleanly and administer long term especially for move-add-changes. More important in non-residential settings, probably, but if you're going to all that effort might as well do it right.

canyoneer posted:

I bought this house a year ago, and when I moved in found out that the prior owner had wired every single room with 2 Ethernet drops, all terminating in a big patch panel in the closet next to the fiber drop.

Turns out the prior owner owned an IT consulting firm, so all that stuff was done very right. Bless you, prior owner.

Please post this in the Extremely Good Construction thread

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

Sirotan posted:

Because there are literally no good reasons to do something like that. Not every drop needs to be live all the time. A dumb switch still needs electricity, a patch panel does not. Terminating building wiring with a RJ45 is stupid. Labeling drop locations will be a headache. Makes routing needlessly difficult. Etc etc etc

I guess there is one single good reason, but only if you're an rear end in a top hat: you can take it with you when you move out, and force the new owner to tone every drop to figure out where they go

it's a home, having a patch panel is completely unnecessary ffs. its fun and goofy and eccentric but loving come on lol

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Slanderer posted:

it's a home, having a patch panel is completely unnecessary ffs. its fun and goofy and eccentric but loving come on lol

I put a patch panel in my house despite only having run like 6 drops so far. Punching down to a patch panel is infinitely easier than trying to cap your wire with an RJ45. It is the right way to do it, and also looks neater and cleaner. Installing all your cabling to a dumb switch is just making life more difficult for yourself for no benefit whatsoever.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

I went to a patch panel because it has a nice spot to label them and I could put it in my wall mount rack. It is, of course, completely unlabeled.

E: I actually have two patch panels. I put a small 12 port one in the garage so that I didn't have to run all those back to the main rack. I switch out there.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Leperflesh posted:

The Brother is connected to the home WiFi network, not broadcasting its own.

Having older devices present on the network means any time those devices are active, as well as any broadcast/multicast traffic that it might need to receive, the network is operating in that slower mode. That was the point I was making, on a wired network a slower device only affects other devices if they need to communicate to/through it, on a wireless network a slower device affects the entire rest of the network any time it's involved in the conversation.

Slanderer posted:

Solid core wire runs inside walls. Stranded wire runs from jacks to devices. Don't be cheap and lazy, sure you might not need a big 48 port panel but an 8 port panel or even a six port keystone plate is not expensive, not hard to do, and makes things look a lot cleaner while greatly simplifying future work.

wolrah fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Feb 24, 2023

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

Slanderer posted:

This is a 1990s-rear end way of thinking about low voltage. It's infrastructure, same as any other utility. Hell, with the advent of POE lighting, it's doing actual infrastructure work, not data transmission. Same as with any other infrastructure, the ends of the cable should be terminated in a permanent fixed manner such that damage to them is much less likely - you wouldn't run an extension cord from the electric panel through the framing to a wall outlet location instead of Romex, would you? No, because that would be loving stupid - ignoring the obvious code issues for a moment, what if someone bent the prongs on one end and you didn't have enough slack to put a new end on? Now you have a useless cable in the wall that you can't easily replace. Would you run a garden hose inside the framing from your Pex manifold to your bathroom? Same deal.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

wolrah posted:

The Brother is connected to the home WiFi network, not broadcasting its own.
Ohh, I misunderstood. I assumed you were directly connecting to the printer's wifi from your devices.

I print like four times a month and don't care if the 2.5g network is slow for 45 seconds (or at all, because my high-bandwidth-needing devices like the TV are all on the 5g network) but it's a valid point especially if you have some always-on slow stuff on the network.

e. but also my printer sits right below the router and is cabled in via ethernet, now I look. And I assigned it a dedicated IP because windows kept losing track of it otherwise. Canon's driver implementation for this printer are godawful. I love the printer itself, but sheesh.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

wolrah posted:

Solid core wire runs inside walls. Stranded wire runs from jacks to devices. Don't be cheap and lazy, sure you might not need a big 48 port panel but an 8 port panel or even a six port keystone plate is not expensive, not hard to do, and makes things look a lot cleaner while greatly simplifying future work.

This is the answer. You keep moving sold core wire and it will work harden and break. This is the same reason that the power in your house is sold core wires in the walls to an outlet where you use stranded cable to attach it to devices.

slurm
Jul 28, 2022

by Hand Knit

Motronic posted:

This is the answer. You keep moving sold core wire and it will work harden and break. This is the same reason that the power in your house is sold core wires in the walls to an outlet where you use stranded cable to attach it to devices.

What's the advantage of solid core in the walls though. Also, is cat 6 impossible to punch down reliably to the point of not being worth bothering with?

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

One advantage is that solid core secures properly to screw terminals where stranded kind of mushes and some strands break off or squish out of the terminal and basically it sucks.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

slurm posted:

Also, is cat 6 impossible to punch down reliably to the point of not being worth bothering with?

Punching down data cable is dead simple assuming you are not color blind and your punch down tool doesn't suck. They even make toolless keystones now. Terminating cable ends to a plug is so much more frustrating in my experience, but it's possible I also just suck at it.

slurm
Jul 28, 2022

by Hand Knit

Sirotan posted:

Punching down data cable is dead simple assuming you are not color blind and your punch down tool doesn't suck. They even make toolless keystones now. Terminating cable ends to a plug is so much more frustrating in my experience, but it's possible I also just suck at it.

Speaking of crappy construction we did a whole ship with no patch panels or jacks and just terminated everything with plugs up in the overhead and it was a miserable nightmare.

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

Sirotan posted:

Terminating cable ends to a plug is so much more frustrating in my experience, but it's possible I also just suck at it.

Nah it blows. The only thing that helps is getting the plugs with little holes at the end allowing the wires to poke through the end of it, so you don't have to get wires coming out of a round cable to all end at the same plane when laid and cut flat. But even then, compared to punching down on a panel it's just fiddly and stupid, especially when you're actually trying to do it to Cat6 spec where only 1/2" of the wires are exposed and the cable jacket is pushed into the plug properly. Which most people don't do of course, leading to this kind of idiocy:

sardonic lol that that image is from an Instructables on how to terminate Cat6 plugs...

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

SyNack Sassimov posted:

Nah it blows. The only thing that helps is getting the plugs with little holes at the end allowing the wires to poke through the end of it, so you don't have to get wires coming out of a round cable to all end at the same plane when laid and cut flat. But even then, compared to punching down on a panel it's just fiddly and stupid, especially when you're actually trying to do it to Cat6 spec where only 1/2" of the wires are exposed and the cable jacket is pushed into the plug properly. Which most people don't do of course, leading to this kind of idiocy:

sardonic lol that that image is from an Instructables on how to terminate Cat6 plugs...

It's something you get used to once you've done several hundred.

But you need to learn HOW first, and fuckin lol that instructables picture is not the correct result at all.

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

SyNack Sassimov posted:

That photo is causing me physical pain

e: also modern routers with things like MU-MIMO alleviate a lot of the issues mentioned with WiFi. If you have the ability and time to wire a house for Ethernet by all means go for it but the flexibility wireless provides is well worth the occasional hiccup imo.

Freaquency fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Feb 24, 2023

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

SyNack Sassimov posted:

This is a 1990s-rear end way of thinking about low voltage. It's infrastructure, same as any other utility. Hell, with the advent of POE lighting, it's doing actual infrastructure work, not data transmission. Same as with any other infrastructure, the ends of the cable should be terminated in a permanent fixed manner such that damage to them is much less likely - you wouldn't run an extension cord from the electric panel through the framing to a wall outlet location instead of Romex, would you? No, because that would be loving stupid - ignoring the obvious code issues for a moment, what if someone bent the prongs on one end and you didn't have enough slack to put a new end on? Now you have a useless cable in the wall that you can't easily replace. Would you run a garden hose inside the framing from your Pex manifold to your bathroom? Same deal.

You bastard. This however is why I left a lot of slacking my cable. Now I can find and mount a patch panel.

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

StormDrain posted:

You bastard. This however is why I left a lot of slacking my cable. Now I can find and mount a patch panel.

:tipshat:

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Motronic posted:

It's something you get used to once you've done several hundred.

But you need to learn HOW first, and fuckin lol that instructables picture is not the correct result at all.
Also as that picture demonstrates you can do it pretty drat wrong and it'll still work, most of the time. As long as the right pins on one end connect to the right pins on the other end most ethernet devices can tolerate some serious wiring crimes, right up until they don't and you get a "fun" (read: Type 3 fun) experience tracking down the problem.

Freaquency posted:

e: also modern routers with things like MU-MIMO alleviate a lot of the issues mentioned with WiFi. If you have the ability and time to wire a house for Ethernet by all means go for it but the flexibility wireless provides is well worth the occasional hiccup imo.
Yes and no, the old device issue still matters here. Only 802.11ax devices can fully take advantage of MU-MIMO.

That said, WiFi mesh networks that have dedicated radios for uplink can use all the latest tech and sometimes vendor-specific tricks on the uplink network, localizing any WiFi issues to just the area covered by that unit.

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

wolrah posted:

Also as that picture demonstrates you can do it pretty drat wrong and it'll still work, most of the time. As long as the right pins on one end connect to the right pins on the other end most ethernet devices can tolerate some serious wiring crimes, right up until they don't and you get a "fun" (read: Type 3 fun) experience tracking down the problem.

Used to work with a construction company that would move their office trailers (connected via wide-area radio mounted on a pole, usually) around a lot, and they wouldn't inform us - instead they would take a Cat5 and run it from the old location to the new location, and splice the wires like they were Romex. Usually managed to get 100 megabit going, which considering the Internet connection was less than 5 megabit was good enough. I was shocked this worked, but yeah Ethernet is pretty resilient, not like Token Ring where you could lose the token out one end.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

When I had my house torn up for a partial remodel I asked the contractor to run two 3" PVC pipes from my basement to my attic.

Then I never did anything with them.

Do you still live there?

Put a bucket underneath them and piss in the pipes.

E: bonus points if you don't still live there.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

Leperflesh posted:

One advantage is that solid core secures properly to screw terminals where stranded kind of mushes and some strands break off or squish out of the terminal and basically it sucks.

That's why they make ferrules especially for using stranded wire in screw down terminals. They're great for car stereo installs.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

SyNack Sassimov posted:

Punchdown termination is way easier to do well anyway. I haven't actually made an ethernet cable in years, they've gotten so cheap it's easier to order to length than keep a roll around, and everything else is punchdown.

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

Liquid Communism posted:

Punchdown termination is way easier to do well anyway. I haven't actually made an ethernet cable in years, they've gotten so cheap it's easier to order to length than keep a roll around, and everything else is punchdown.

Agreed. Also, for patch cables I vastly prefer Monoprice SlimRuns as they make routing cables and dealing with huge bundles a thousand times easier, and while Monoprice does now sell bulk rolls of SlimRun cable, the thought of trying to crimp such tiny wires into an RJ45 gives me hives - I'll let the (I'm sure it's not child) workers in China deal with it, although that part is presumably done by machine.

LimaBiker
Dec 9, 2020

I once crimped two RJ45 plugs because the network cable had to fit through a small hole, so a ready made cable wasn't an option.
I never did it before. I had to use a lovely aliexpress crimping tool. It took me just over an hour to crimp those two loving plugs onto the cable.

Fun fact: i grabbed the cable from the roadside trash to replace a piece of worn, bent, old cat5 that didn't make it to the full gigabit speed. I think one of the pairs didn't even work.

For some reason someone was throwing out some perfectly fine cat6 and ever since fighting with it, my desktop has a gloriously fast network connection.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

No thanks, I'll just sit at the bar.

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

I think I might have been to that restaurant.

Jows
May 8, 2002

It's that a Chili's?

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

brugroffil posted:

Please post this in the Extremely Good Construction thread

Things done right:
Custom built shade sail installed in the backyard. Good quality fabric, thick steel cables, suspended from 12 inch diameter steel masts built into good concrete footings. Definitely hired someone, and hired someone good.

Things not great:
Did zero maintenance on the tankless water heater, which means every fixture's hot water line was clogged with water scaling sediment.
Never replaced the water treatment system's sediment filter.
Completely encased the tub's fixtures with no access panel, which means until I cut an access panel into the tile I can't flush on the accumulated sediment in the hot water line so I can actually use it.
Built in the fireplace ~4 feet off center for some bizarre reason (this one's on the original builders) :pwn:

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

canyoneer posted:

Built in the fireplace ~4 feet off center for some bizarre reason (this one's on the original builders) :pwn:

My house is also like this, maybe only 18" off center but still.... Why??????? Very noticeable on a 14' long wall.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coldpudding
May 14, 2009

FORUM GHOST

This sparked an old memory, I got dragged along to watch my sister perform in a junior ballet show and I got assigned a seat behind a big pillar.:yayclod:
Lucky I had zero interest in watching the show anyway with 80% of the view blocked.