Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Ytlaya posted:

I mean, talent kind of *is* everything in the sense that it's a prerequisite to reach the highest levels. Extremely hard work is just *also* necessary, but hard work alone isn't enough.

And there's also a huge element of sheer luck and being born into a well-off connected family. This fellow cellist I was friends with as a teenager had both the talent and work parts - he practiced like 6 hours a day and had the same intuitive feel for it that I did (we both started "late" - middle school). He even got a full scholarship to Jiulliard and was just an amazing guy in general. But he still wasn't able to turn performing into a career, because he was a poor black guy and most people who get careers are from upper/upper-middle class families that can help get them connected in the classical performance "industry." He was even lucky just to get his cello, which was donated to him - good cellos are extremely expensive (I think it's a bit better these days since China makes some good stuff, but you're still looking at thousands of dollars).

I think that you can still easily tell stories about music performance, though, because hard work will always be a necessary part. Though those stories kind of need to involve actual specifics about music performance to be interesting, at least for me. Real life music performance (and probably other competitive activities) are actually remarkably "anime-like" in reality, especially as a teenager. Everyone is aware of who the "elites" are and where they stand in relation to everyone else, and you're making tangible progress as you learn new things. Everyone is familiar with the most commonly performed pieces and what nuances and challenges they have. There's lots of angles to explore in a story.

Agreed. Akane-banashi is a great example of what a shonen manga about musicians should have been like.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this

MonsieurChoc posted:

Anyone remembers the manga about orchestra conducting battles and the main character's thing was that he could see people's hearts?

That'd be Soul Catcher(s)
Apparently made it to 11 volumes, although scans petered out at 6.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Tosk posted:

drat, seeing that One Piece could be heading towards a conclusion made me google Oda's age and he's only 48. he's been working on One Piece for almost exactly half his life at this point and I wonder if, once OP is done, he'll even want to start another project.

I dropped OP in the Dressrosa arc because it just seemed to drag on forever, and the Big Mom and Wano Island arcs seemed to go the same way. Now that they're done though, it might be time to finally do a full reread. OP has always been my least favorite of the big three but drat if I don't want to be there for the end of the journey.

I'll think he'll be like Akira Toriyama, and maybe do some one shots or short series, but I doubt he'll do a long running series again.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

IShallRiseAgain posted:

I'll think he'll be like Akira Toriyama, and maybe do some one shots or short series, but I doubt he'll do a long running series again.

Absolutely, he's going to want to retire and spend time with his family, probably go on vacation too with all the one piece bux he's gotten.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

MonsieurChoc posted:

Anyone remembers the manga about orchestra conducting battles and the main character's thing was that he could see people's hearts?

You made me remember this one series that only got a single chapter translated where people can summon Persona based on classical musicians.
Rock me Amadeus
I was interested in seeing where it went but the group never followed up on it.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Julias posted:

Absolutely, he's going to want to retire and spend time with his family, probably go on vacation too with all the one piece bux he's gotten.

you would think so but also oda might be an insane person

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

Beat & Motion chapter 1 was alright. The isekai death fake out was pretty funny. I don't really want to read more though.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
It's a good first chapter but in a post-Eizouken world it's impossible to get too excited about a manga about animation.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
New chapter of Ragna Crimson
I wasn't sure what was going to be done with the Cult or even if Ragna had worked with them in the future but this chapter clears that up and I'm excited to see some dungeon crawling in the future. Bloodline of Roars is going down but hopefully we'll see how the other monks handle the various traps and magicks within the belly of the beast. Gravity Chick(?) and The king's ability seem like something only Ragna could deal with. Then again, the swordman monk is a student of Gilzea and one of the other monks is a human with pronounced dragon traits and lightning bolt markings. All of these people are supposed to be formidable but I have my eyes on those two in particular as well as the caged chick.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Okay wow, caught up on Fabricant 100 just in time for the "theater fight" and I'm all-in now.

Jiangshi X needs to step down and leave the current X naming convention to Choujin X.

Akane-banashi is in "must read day of release" status, compared to most series' "get around to it this week on a lunch break" for me.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Kyte posted:

That'd be Soul Catcher(s)
Apparently made it to 11 volumes, although scans petered out at 6.

That’s why I had almost forgotten it: no more scans.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Space Fish posted:

Akane-banashi is in "must read day of release" status, compared to most series' "get around to it this week on a lunch break" for me.

I generally tend to read the weaker series first, saving the best for last. Though of course when I'm really excited about a series (which has been the case for Fabricant 100 lately), I can't resist.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Same, I usually start with MHA + Ichinose Family into Roboco + You and I, and then ending on Sakamoto + Akanebanashi (and Spy x Family if it's up).

Non-Monday release series I just read in whatever order really, the ones I follow are all good.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
I open the SJ app every month if there’s a new World Trigger, and then catch up on Akane-banashi while I’m there. This does raise the question of why exactly I’m still subscribed, but hell, it’s $3/mo, why not?

haypliss
Oct 2, 2022
Never really checked if it's random/changing weekly, but since the app keeps my spot in overall series, I just read the series in the order they show up there.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Sakamoto Days' environmental fighting continues to be a treat.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i liked those very reasonable arguments in fabricant.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
lol Jump really couldn't have given PPPPPP like even 2-3 more chapters to wrap up instead of doing THAT?

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

Fabricated posted:

lol Jump really couldn't have given PPPPPP like even 2-3 more chapters to wrap up instead of doing THAT?

I kind of love it though. No moral, just punch your rear end in a top hat dad in the face. Curse you all for canceling my series.

In hindsight, the series just lost its way after the mother died. I thought it was a bold choice, having some of the family reject Lucky (reasonably too) but it didn't know where it would go.

Hypocrisy fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Feb 26, 2023

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I can't help but wonder what the best ' gently caress you, series canceled' ending has been

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

I can't help but wonder what the best ' gently caress you, series canceled' ending has been

Red Hood is the obvious one that comes to mind.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
Lol at Jiangshi X switching from copying Naruto (with a bit of Demon Slayer) to copying Attack on Titan (with a bit of Bleach).

Desperate Character
Apr 13, 2009
it is a real shame PPPPPP is ending. I really do hope it gets an anime one day at least. I'm just glad we got one bit of catharsis at the end.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Silver2195 posted:

Red Hood is the obvious one that comes to mind.

Was pretty cool.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Wow this sakamoto chapter is so loving good one of the best theyve ever had. The fight choreography and characterization of the mains there is so funny and cool.

"him." "me"

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Hypocrisy posted:

Beat & Motion chapter 1 was alright. The isekai death fake out was pretty funny. I don't really want to read more though.

Apparently this mangaka won a reality show competition and will also get an anime as well.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

muscles like this! posted:

Apparently this mangaka won a reality show competition and will also get an anime as well.

Oh, I watched that show a bit back, since it's all up on youtube, or at least it was (it's called Million Tag). It's been long enough that I kind of lost track of what was happening with it, but it's cool to see the final results.

Fujita was teamed with Shihei Lin, the editor for Spy X Family, Chainsaw Man, Dandadan, and Good Luck Girl. Lin was viewed as the one to beat by the other editors, and the final results pretty much confirmed that.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Jerkface posted:

Wow this sakamoto chapter is so loving good one of the best theyve ever had. The fight choreography and characterization of the mains there is so funny and cool.

"him." "me"

Jep, loving the interactions. Cool place for the showdown as well.

Mashle: I didn’t expect this. Kinda neat, I want to know where we’re going with this but I worry for another case of Doom where it overstays it’s welcome by a wide margin. Still, cool to see the peanut gallery help out properly. I wonder if Doom will show up to help as well.

Undead Unluck: I love this new Fuuko.
And cool that things are now in unknown territory, I can’t wait to see what Billy is going to do.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

ImpAtom posted:

There was a series I remember about Shinigami with a big central mystery, and when it got cancelled it didn't reveal the mystery or anything it just ended on a gigantic spreadsheet of character relationships and the author going "You figure it out". It did later get a revival and got to do a decent ending though

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I start with Sakamoto and end on Akane-banashi so I start and end on a high note.

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.

Hypocrisy posted:

I kind of love it though. No moral, just punch your rear end in a top hat dad in the face. Curse you all for canceling my series.

Yeah, lot of series would have tried to wrap it up by having Lucky and his dad reconcile by showing that he had Reasons for being bad, but nope, the mangaka said "this is what he gets, gently caress him." It's great.

Silver2195 posted:

Lol at Jiangshi X switching from copying Naruto (with a bit of Demon Slayer) to copying Attack on Titan (with a bit of Bleach).

And it has still yet to make me care lol

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
With Mashle this week, I'm worried we're gonna be stuck waiting for Goku again.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Versus Chapter 4
https://po2scans.com/manga/versus/chapter-04z/

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

Gonna be real, P's might just be it.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

i liked this bit in sakamoto

and this was just badass

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Still a bit straightforward for ONE but I appreciate it so far.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I'm looking forward to 3 chapters of exactly what I wanted before they start fusing together and things look even worse afterwards.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

RareAcumen posted:

I'm looking forward to 3 chapters of exactly what I wanted before they start fusing together and things look even worse afterwards.

Well theres 13 with "intended" pairs so if you pair them all up youre still one short

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Hypocrisy posted:

In hindsight, the series just lost its way after the mother died. I thought it was a bold choice, having some of the family reject Lucky (reasonably too) but it didn't know where it would go.
The ending is actually a bad (as in unhappy) ending even because the "genius Lucky" that's apparently not very nice replaces the Lucky that wanted to get his family back together. He completely fails and the Lucky anyone knew before is gone. Kinda dark?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

I should have gotten into Roboco before the new chapter is super loving funny

RareAcumen posted:

Considering one of the Enemies is the TLOU parasite there's no way it won't happen.