Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Salisbury Snape
May 26, 2014
While a grain platform can be used for corn, a specialized corn head is ordinarily used instead.

If you wanted to cheap it you could hardwall render it yourself ready for the professionals to come and plaster over the top..but... They are going to use that as an excuse to do a poo poo job regardless of how perfect and plumb your walls are after the hardwall and it almost definitely will crack and you are going to be chasing and filling cracks for the next three years.
Just suck it up and lose a couple inches in dot and dab

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Remind me again, what was the upside of using the styrofoam bricks?

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
They're really easy to lay. Which helped the bricklayer I paid to lay them regardless of block type for a set price.

In every other way they suck. And in every other way is how I am now dealing with them.

The building industry has some questions to answer as far as I am concerned.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Ahhh, that makes sense. Well, at least they are easy to replace at this point in the build.

Messadiah
Jan 12, 2001

Diet Crack posted:

Hands down the best joke I've seen on these forums in 22 years.

I'd appreciate if you didn't bring that up

L.H.O.O.Q.
Jan 3, 2013

:coal:
If you don’t batten and plasterboard, are you at all concerned in eventually hanging like a heavy mirror or something from plaster + your crumbling bricks vs plasterboard + wooden batten + your crumbling bricks?

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

It's ok, he can put up a load-bearing poster to support the blocks.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Interior pebbledash.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Wood panelling with a thick layer of pine tar backing.

Deep pile wall carpet.

Leather.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

just treat it like a castle and hang lots of tapestries
don't even need to cover the walls with plaster or lime or whatever, just... more tapestries

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof
Spray adhesive on the walls, then spray finely chopped wool. A good flocking should up the r value and add color and texture to the house. Want 3D patterns? Get out the ol’ beard trimmer and go to town.
Some examples:
https://imgur.io/gallery/iMI1qy7

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp
easy peasy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aQzLYX0PWpM&t=70s

Salisbury Snape
May 26, 2014
While a grain platform can be used for corn, a specialized corn head is ordinarily used instead.

And when the world gives you a Jeffrey, just stroke the furry wall

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Was in the Art Institute of Chicago the other day looking at some architecture bits, and had a good chuckle when I came across this:

Hard to explain to my wife why I was taking a picture, but good to know that this thread follows in a rich architectural tradition

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Flat roof. Never a good sign.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

goatface posted:

Flat roof. Never a good sign.

Frank might disagree.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Isn't his house a leaky, crumbling problem?

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Failed Imagineer posted:

Was in the Art Institute of Chicago the other day looking at some architecture bits, and had a good chuckle when I came across this:

Obviously as an expert architect I'm aware of old Ludwig's work, but thanks for bringing it to the attention of the less well read forum members.

I've obviously cleverly subverted his works though where he sought to bring about a cost saving standardisation through the L, and with it maximise privacy by secluding each dwellings private space, I have sought to do the opposite.

I have sought to create an aggressive hierarchy of L. Each L turning its arse to the last but increasing in scale and obnoxiousness. I've centred this array around an unused "village green" to the lower right of the plan and allowed absolutely minimal access routes for large trucks.

Because I'm not an absolute piece of poo poo I've obviously provisioned for and allocated space for each dwelling to have its own shipping container, tesla, digger and broken down pickup.

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad
This is art, holy poo poo

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

no sir, this is architecture

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

:five:

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Lol. Why didn’t you scale up the number of cars and diggers at all though

Mexican Radio
Jan 5, 2007

mombo with your jombo?
Building and taking multiple Ls.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
The lack of break rooms in each wing disgusts me

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Lol

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

Talk about posting your L's

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

I love this thread so much

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Time to install the front door. Its from the same company as the back and essentially the same style but slightly larger and with full height glass sidelights either side.

Machining the door is much the same as last time but with added experience.

But door furniture on this one is going to be different. No handle. Big long chunky bar instead. Which means drilling worryingly obvious holes through the door.

All goes surprisingly well. Get the door hung back in its frame sitting in the hallway next to the aperture to install into.

Transfer levels across from door to frame. Do NOT use the wrong side of the tape this time.

Latest iteration of my routing jig.

And use the sauber kit to machine the deeper cuts.

Now we've got two issues with this door, both thanks to the glass sidelights.

1. The electrical connections. On the back door I was able to just drill out sideways into the wall and sort it out from there. Can't do that with a pane of glass either side.

2. Physically fixing the frame into the building structure. Again on the previous door just pre drill then install big old frame fixing screws into blockwork. Can't do that with a pane of glass either side.

Googled it and people seem to say that they ship these sidelight doors with glazing in for ease of transport and you just pay a glazier to remove them on site, do the fitting and then put them back in. I'm dubious as why are they so nicely and perfectly finished and painted up? But OK. Try to contact some glaziers, 2 ignore me the other asks for photos before cowarding out and saying no I can't do that I'll smash the glass.

Which seems odd.

The alternative fixing method seems to be pre installing metal brackets into the frame that extend to the inner leaf of blockwork and then putting the frame fixing screws through those. Which I get but it seems like a bunch of horrible metal cold bridges across the cavity? But then so is the whole metal lintel above I guess. I contacted forums window expert whatevil and he concurred that this was not a totally idiotic way to do it. Which is a higher bar than I normally achieve so thats the plan.

But this still doesnt get the wiring sorted. So I'm going to have to route and rout the wiring in the inside faces of the frame and cover and repair over it. My totally gently caress up of the first door has taught me that I can use bits of oak to reasonably tidily cover and fill mistakes so this seems doable and now I realise I probably subconsciously made those earlier mistakes to empower me for this job. drat I'm good.

I have to remove the hinges from the frame to allow me to run my routing jig up the frame to route out a channel from the tappit to the top of the frame for the wire tight into the door seal. I'll then drill down from the top to meet it, before machining up a bit of oak to cover up the mess.

My previous route jig is no good for this as I can't plunge deep enough with my small 6mm router bit to get the channel deep enough for the wire and a thick enough piece of covering oak on top. The 12mm ply top of the jig is losing me... well 12mm of plunge depth so I replace with some leftover steel sheet gaining like i dunno 11mm back.

Also as I'm trying to rout out right in tight to the door seal I am worried about the router bit damaging the rubber gasket/seal thing. So I install a piece of timber into the underside of the jig to gently compress the seal and plunge through this. This is starting to sound unhinged. (lol geddit?)

This actually loving somehow doesnt go wrong.

Bit of cover up timber after drilling down from the top to meet the rout and feeding the wire through.

painted up. you cannot loving see it

OK now bought a ten pack of these 300mm metal plates for fixing the whole frame in place.

Practice attaching them to my poo poo blocks. So if you predrill the block to the full length of the frame screw and are really careful to not over tighten it... it works. But you only really get one go and then it churns the block to dust and pulls straight back out. So need to do that then.

I'm routing out a 2-3mm ish channel in the frames to install the metal brackets into as, combined with the sticking out screw heads, its a really tight fit in the blockwork aperture. Dunno how that happened.

5 either side

Wham.

Hang the door in, get it all plumbed(sp?) up. Carefully screw in fixings, 2 per bracket. Then use low expansion foam to fix it and uncle robert

Front door.

There were a few little issues I've edited out to make myself look better and this didnt exactly happen over night but surprisingly ok.

I hosed up right at the end and once I'd installed the brackets into the frame lying on my plasterboard, dragged it to pick it up and put some horrible scratches right in the face of the frame. FFS

But a bit of filler and sanding and paint and... "you'll never see that", "unless you knew", "unless you're really looking"

NotJustANumber99 fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Mar 2, 2023

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
I've been around a number of home builds in my life, and we've done a lot of the work ourselves, and it's not that hard. I'm really confused why everything you're doing is like you're the first person on the planet that's installed a door or something.

I guess that's the joke, isn't it.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

See but this is a special house. It has wires in the door. Which makes installing the door much harder and will have the benefit of, uh, making the door vulnerable to electronic intrusion attempts? Not sure what the benefit is.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

when some aspiring lockpicker is flustered by the e-lock on these fancy doors, they'll just leave and not smash the huge pane of glass right next to the door and walk in to nick stuff
that's definitely how home security works

Just Winging It
Jan 19, 2012

The buck stops at my ass
Just replace that with the "indestructible" cybertruck glass, problem solved.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

FISHMANPET posted:

I've been around a number of home builds in my life, and we've done a lot of the work ourselves, and it's not that hard. I'm really confused why everything you're doing is like you're the first person on the planet that's installed a door or something.

I guess that's the joke, isn't it.

I share your frustration.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Maybe it's just an optical illusion but are your roof tiles supposed to look like a wavy tribute to Gaudí

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Yeah you got me.

it was only 20 thousand tiles that needed individually placed but i had the time, the means and the motive.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

aniviron posted:

See but this is a special house. It has wires in the door. Which makes installing the door much harder and will have the benefit of, uh, making the door vulnerable to electronic intrusion attempts? Not sure what the benefit is.

Wire you giving him such a hard time about the doors

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

Hey you did it. Well done.

You could have just pulled the weather-seal out of the frame while you were routing stuff - they're usually just a push-fit into a groove and can be removed and pushed back in again no problem.

Leperflesh posted:

when some aspiring lockpicker is flustered by the e-lock on these fancy doors, they'll just leave and not smash the huge pane of glass right next to the door and walk in to nick stuff

According to the UK building regulations on security (Part Q) this actually is how home security works!

The tests they do to certify your doors and windows is that you make a test door and they get some lad named Ross to have a go at it for 3 minutes with an assortment of small hand tools - a screwdriver, a (very small) crowbar, a piece of wire, a credit card... there's probably some more I'm forgetting. He's not allowed to break the glass and if he can't get in in 3 minutes your door passes that part of the test.

To be fair they also do a "kick" test where they swing a big metal battering ram at it from a pre-defined height a number of times, and a "soft body" test where they swing a big punching bag thing at it from a higher height, to simulate a shoulder-barge... but yeah breaking the glass does not factor into the test.

Oh and push tests where they load the door into a big metal frame and push on it in pre-defined points with a hydraulic ram.

I sat in a lab for a week a couple of times while two guys did various tests on various of the products we made to get certified this way.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

This is how to stress test a door

https://youtu.be/9v34zHuW_uQ

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

Leperflesh posted:

when some aspiring lockpicker is flustered by the e-lock on these fancy doors, they'll just leave and not smash the styrofoam pretending to be bricks right next to the door and walk in to nick stuff

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CancerCakes
Jan 10, 2006

Sounds like no house is ever really secure so having a gizmo that allows you to remote open the door for convenience isn't actually that much of a big deal. The average UK burglar won't be particularly electrically minded. You could replace the glass with laminate, but at that point they could just cut the frame I suppose.