Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
I could see the Lions drafting him at 18 if the “Jamaal wants to come back” thing falls through due to *points at large ziggurat of cash demanded by Jamaal’s agent*

I doubt Swift is gonna be on the team after 2023.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

It's a man's game, but boys will play

It's absolutely not going to happen but I would love for Bijan to fall to the Vikings so they can trade Cook and use that money elsewhere.

Or just trade him and use the money elsewhere even if they don't get Bijan

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Kalli posted:

Teams are still willing to draft RB's in the later half of the first round, but I dunno what kind of prospect would have to show up for one to go top 10 now.

Bijan's the type of guy who could if you have someone willing to even consider a top 10 RB, there's nothing he does wrong. If anything he was underutilized at Texas and has relatively new tires on him so maybe he lasts a while.

I don't know who would view a RB as 'the piece' early though. If the Bears trade down to 9 or so they could make a little bit of a Ravens type monster I guess? Well crap, it's gonna be the Seahawks if it happens isn't it? Even if that's the absolutely wrong move for them to make.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
Bijan is kind of boom/bust like Saquon. Big guy with great agility but he needs to learn to just hit the hole sometimes. Totally worth a top 10 pick in most years but this draft is stacked for the first 25 picks or so with ridiculous depth at a bunch of defensive positions. Could see him not being appealing if someone like Murphy or Witherspoon/Cam Smith is sitting there for a top 10 pick. Would gladly start an offense around him tho.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Step 1: Start fight
Step 2: Attack straw man
Step 3: REPEAT

Do not engage with me

Grittybeard posted:

Bijan's the type of guy who could if you have someone willing to even consider a top 10 RB, there's nothing he does wrong. If anything he was underutilized at Texas and has relatively new tires on him so maybe he lasts a while.

I don't know who would view a RB as 'the piece' early though. If the Bears trade down to 9 or so they could make a little bit of a Ravens type monster I guess? Well crap, it's gonna be the Seahawks if it happens isn't it? Even if that's the absolutely wrong move for them to make.

If the Bears were able to swap with Houston and get both their firsts this year, I'd be pretty happy if they grabbed Bijan with that second pick. I could see that making their offense disgusting.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002

Ehud posted:

I look forward to drafting the one TE who doesn't really work out.

Lmao god. So true.

Hamhandler
Aug 9, 2008

[I want to] shit in your fucking mouth. [I'm going to] slap your fucking mouth. [I'm going to] slap your real mother across the face [laughter]. Fuck you, you're still a rookie. I'll kill you.

TheGreyGhost posted:

Not retaining Gesicki in the goals of that offense would be extremely weird and on brand. Shaheen sucks but Gesicki is like the idea flex TE for the Shanny tree[/b].

That's essentially what they talked themselves into last season and they fooled themselves.

IMO he does not work well with Hill and Waddle. They're simply better options in the areas of the field he's best at with the exception of doing volleyball jumps in the red zone. Do you want to run timing concepts and have your QB throw to a spot in the intermediate middle of the field, or do you want him to hold the ball and see if the guy with the goofy-rear end release is in good position for a contested catch there? If you want to challenge the safeties, do you throw it to one of the fastest players in the league who can run under whatever the placement is as long as it's away from coverage(and have a good chance of scoring) or do you want to hold it longer for the jump ball guy to make a 50-50 into a 75-25 ball?

What Miami really needs is a guy who can credibly play attached to the formation somewhere, who can find the hole in zones underneath, and has some juice in terms of YAC- none of that is really Gesicki and it was a goddamned mess when they tried to ask him to do that.

Hamhandler fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Feb 25, 2023

MarquisDeCarabas
Jun 16, 2012

Sataere posted:

If the Bears were able to swap with Houston and get both their firsts this year, I'd be pretty happy if they grabbed Bijan with that second pick. I could see that making their offense disgusting.

It already is.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Bears drafting an incredible Texas running back has never gone wrong.

R.D. Mangles fucked around with this message at 05:13 on Feb 25, 2023

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp

Gonz posted:

I could see the Lions drafting him at 18 if the “Jamaal wants to come back” thing falls through due to *points at large ziggurat of cash demanded by Jamaal’s agent*

I doubt Swift is gonna be on the team after 2023.

The last mock from the Athletic had the Lions pick him up at 18 (After trading down and getting Witherspoon at 9) and honestly I'm all for it. Getting a really good back while we still have a really good offensive line seems like a great way to complement the pass offense (which is what Swift was SUPPOSED to do but obviously that hasn't paned out)

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

MarquisDeCarabas posted:

It already is.

:argh:

Hamhandler
Aug 9, 2008

[I want to] shit in your fucking mouth. [I'm going to] slap your fucking mouth. [I'm going to] slap your real mother across the face [laughter]. Fuck you, you're still a rookie. I'll kill you.
God help me, I wrote up what I thought about a lot of the top tight ends in this draft:

Dalton Kincaid: I think he’s the best tight end in the class, he pretty well checks all the boxes for the position. He’s a good athlete, and a natural receiver. He has tools to get out of contact, his routes are varied and pretty good, he’s got the kind of catch radius you want from the position. He’s got pretty good juice after the catch. He’s probably got a niche that can be exploited where he’s a positive as a blocker, but it isn’t everything.
Comparison: Nate Tice had Owen Daniels and I think it’s very good.

Luke Musgrave: He’s probably the fastest guy in the class. He’s really going to make his money off of vertical routes, his ability to make sharp breaks on his routes are pretty grisly. Positioning wise I think he’s really going to end up feeding in that Jimmy Graham tight slot alignment, ideally because his blocking isn’t quite at the war criminal level but it isn’t very good and I don’t see it really being a calling card in the NFL. Remarkably bad after the catch, folds like a cheap tent when people try and tackle him.
Comparison: Lots of people have said Mike Gesicki, and there’s a lot of similarities there I think. He’s got a better chance of ending up a little bit closer to a normal tight end in my eyes than Gesicki did.

Michael Mayer: He’s a classic throwback “Y” tight end. He’s big, strong, runs the route tree you’d expect from the stereotype. His blocking is good(I’m not sure it’ll be great), I think he’s going to end up being more of a modest producer than a lot of people think because he’s slow, and I think probably to the point where it’s going to affect his ability to be superlatively productive despite his other skills.
Comparison: He’s the kind of tight end that is going to give Jerry Jones his first medication-free erection in years.

Darnell Washington: He’s a weird one. He’s 6’7” 270 pounds and somehow that seems insufficient to describe him. His selling point is really IMO the blocking- his technique isn’t very good at this point but he’s so much bigger, stronger, and has such long arms that it doesn’t really matter. As a receiver I think his upside is limited, to the point where the first round talk is wild to me. His attributes are that he’s got a huge catch radius, speed greater than an offensive tackle, and with the ball in his hands it looks like a grown man being slowly brought down by a pack of children… but he’s slow, doesn’t seem to have any routes or change of direction.
Comparison: A rich man’s Levine Toilolo

Tucker Kraft: He’s another classic type guy, although he does a lot of H-back/sniffer stuff. I’m not sure I have a strong opinion on him one way or the other, he checks a lot of boxes but he’s playing at a lower level of competition. He’ll draw Dallas Goedert comparisons as a prototypical TE at the same school, but Goedert was insanely productive in a way that Kraft wasn’t. I’m interested in seeing his performance on physical testing to see how he starts up.
Comparison: Hunter Henry, if he isn't the Adam Shaheen version of Hunter Henry.

Josh Whyle: Every tight end draft class seems to have someone who isn’t one of the top guys outperforming most if not all of the class, and he’s my bet. He's pretty fast for a tight end, and his acceleration stands out. He doesn't really lose too much with his change of direction for a 6'6" guy, and he's got a pretty good sense and ability to vary his route speed. He's made some real circus catches, but Cincinnati lacked the ability to willingness to give him the ball probably as often as they should have.Blocking-wise, he's hit or miss but I think there's stuff to work with there too. He's got a lot of blocks where he's hitting a target in space, or giving a good effort to pop an edge player from a wing position... but then he's got blocks where his position just isn't very good- he's on the wrong shoulder, etc. He's pretty physical for being 6'6" and what seems like a very generous 250- he's a very slim guy.
Comparison: Zach Ertz

Sam La Porta: I think a lot of what he’s going to potentially do at the NFL depends on where he goes and how they use him. He’s not a normal TE by any means- he’s small, his catch radius isn’t particularly impressive, and his blocking needs a surprising amount of work for an Iowa tight end. He’s got a pretty good route tree, and he’s a pretty fluid mover and he’s quite good after the catch. I could see him being a fairly productive, fan favorite type guy who operates almost like a jumbo slot receiver with some work.
Comparison: Brandon Myers

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
Washington is a really good blocker I don't think it's just size. He knows when to chip, engage, or move guys on the edge. He also has pretty nice hands and can make seam route catches with his size. Definitely won't be a liability but you won't ever feature him as more than a dump off/red zone target.

Kincaid isn't a blocker. He's a pure receiving threat. They used him in blocking out of the slot sometimes and it wasn't good at all. All upper body and shoving like he's DeVonta Smith sized. He'll also have to be a wide open guy since he doesn't really break in his routes like a WR. He's big with great hands and a great catch radius. He just won't be really getting away from anyone at the next level. He's probably a little slower than Mayer. Could still easily see him going ahead of Mayer though. He's not bad at all, he's just not going to be on the line ever which kind of limits him.

Mayer needs to land in the right situation to be a Pitts/Gronk producer. I think TEs are the one position that are excused from production since they're most often chosen to be thrown to rather than always being the best option. Like Gronk was never a separation guy. Brady just knew he was automatic with his catch radius compared to the unreliable hands with Welker/Edelman when Brady had to throw it high. Witten was king dump off both because he was really good at finding the acceptable option space and because Romo's arm wasn't very good to make some throws when the plays went long. Mayer is really reliable with his catch radius, just like Pitts was coming out.

I agree with all the Musgrave comments. Him and Billingsley should both test through the roof. I don't know why he just falls over when touched though, it's so weird. He also isn't nearly the blocker Billingsley is. He was also injured all last year so the only tape to really go off of is one okay season. I would say his breaks aren't grisly. He gets in and out of them fast enough, just nothing special for how fast he is before getting there.

Whyle is a hard guy to pinpoint. From a technical standpoint he's so sloppy. He doesn't really run routes and his blocking is more of an athletic punch than anything else. They really like using him in crossing routes and leak outs. He's not really that fast unless he's gone up to speed and doesn't have nearly the agility of guys like Kelce or Engram. You're basically relying on him beating people to the edge and running past weak tackles if you use him like Cinci did. I don't think he's big or fast enough for that. It juts feels like they were using him wrong.

darkforce898
Sep 11, 2007

Acebuckeye13 posted:

The last mock from the Athletic had the Lions pick him up at 18 (After trading down and getting Witherspoon at 9) and honestly I'm all for it. Getting a really good back while we still have a really good offensive line seems like a great way to complement the pass offense (which is what Swift was SUPPOSED to do but obviously that hasn't paned out)

Lions need to spend the first two picks on a DT and CB and then a tackle/guard in the second. Then a safety and a TE.

The backup offensive linemen are not good enough.

I wouldn't be thrilled with a high RB.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

I don't think I care very much if Mayer is slower, if he can block reliably and if he can reliably catch the ball when it comes his way. Reliability is what I covet from my tight ends.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

darkforce898 posted:

Lions need to spend the first two picks on a DT and CB and then a tackle/guard in the second. Then a safety and a TE.

The backup offensive linemen are not good enough.

I wouldn't be thrilled with a high RB.

The Lions are so close to being very good as long as they hammer defense in the draft. I am extremely interested to see what happens there.

They are going to have to do something at RB since Williams is a FA and wants to cash in on his absurd TD luck. But it's a deep draft and a deep FA crop so no need to do anything rash.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

With how many running backs are free agents, I think the Lions will be able to bring Jamaal back at a price that makes both sides happy. It's also a deep enough running back class that they can get real value in the late rounds.

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!

Sataere posted:

With how many running backs are free agents, I think the Lions will be able to bring Jamaal back at a price that makes both sides happy. It's also a deep enough running back class that they can get real value in the late rounds.

The headliners

David Montgomery
Saquon
Kareem Hunt
Josh Jacobs
Miles Sanders
Devin Singletary
Tony Pollard

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

Ches Neckbeard posted:

The headliners

David Montgomery
Saquon
Kareem Hunt
Josh Jacobs
Miles Sanders
Devin Singletary
Tony Pollard

I can't imagine wanting Williams more than those other guys.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Happy combine week.

Thursday, March 2 (3 p.m.): DL/LB
Friday, March 3 (3 p.m.): DB/ST
Saturday, March 4 (1 p.m.): QB/WR/TE
Sunday, March 5 (1 p.m.): RB, OL

Full schedule.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
4 days till measurements start! :woop:

We all joke about Bryce Young but I'm interested in seeing exactly how big some of the DL and OL guys are, we've got some abnormally large men this year I think.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

So Bryce is stuffing his face with Ho-Hos for the weight measurements but won’t test afterwards. Red flag.

https://twitter.com/rapsheet/status/1630161534650396672?s=46&t=DcBXErlGIUJUj8quAgYfkQ

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/1630176143109246978

Thanks Schefty would have never known lol

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

Time for Anthony Richardson to start rampaging up those draft boards and for "Richardson to the Lions at 6" to become a thing.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

10 bucks says he demanded ESPN hire someone to make an app to add that dumbass text overlay to any photo for him and instantly tweet it.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

it's been a while since the first pick was traded. ended up being goff and derrick henry + change. i imagine both teams did better than they would have otherwise

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Ehud posted:

Happy combine week.

Thursday, March 2 (3 p.m.): DL/LB
Friday, March 3 (3 p.m.): DB/ST
Saturday, March 4 (1 p.m.): QB/WR/TE
Sunday, March 5 (1 p.m.): RB, OL

Full schedule.

So we have to wait until Saturday to learn how much of a midget Bryce Young is???

Ugh

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Just look at more pictures of Mina Kimes towering over Bryce

Forrest on Fire
Nov 23, 2012

Kalli posted:

Just look at more pictures of Mina Kimes towering over Bryce

I think this is the best part of the draft season, when nobody actually knows anything but tweets about it with ironclad confidence. The photos next to Kyler are damning, but Mina Kimes completely accidentally destroying someone's draft stock would be hysterical.

What's considered an acceptable height for a modern QB? 6'1"?

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Forrest on Fire posted:

I think this is the best part of the draft season, when nobody actually knows anything but tweets about it with ironclad confidence. The photos next to Kyler are damning, but Mina Kimes completely accidentally destroying someone's draft stock would be hysterical.

Brees was what, 6'0" if that's to be believed?

seems like if you're good enough as a QB, that's enough height

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Forrest on Fire posted:

Lamar Jackson - 6’2
Justin Fields - 6’3
CJ Stroud - 6’3
Patrick Mahomes - 6’3
Anthony Richardson - 6’4

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
1 percentile exceptions always exist.

Bryce would be a exception in both height and weight.

He seems like, he has at least the talent to be that exception. You just absolutely have to protect him.

The Bears drafting him for example would be a warcrime in 70% of the world.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

The weight / thicc seems to be the issue with Bryce.

Wilson and Murray are both far sturdier.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Forrest on Fire posted:

Just for my preferences if I were a scout I'd say 6'2" before I don't worry about it much at all and any taller than that is gravy. 6'0" if their other attributes are good enough--which they're going to be if you're considered a first round guy. Shorter than that can definitely work but that's when I start worrying a little bit about it.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Ornery and Hornery posted:

The weight / thicc seems to be the issue with Bryce.

Wilson and Murray are both far sturdier.

Wilson and Murray are also always dealing with injuries

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Dexo posted:

He seems like, he has at least the talent to be that exception. You just absolutely have to protect him.

Yeah, like Anquan Boldin was a gigantic outlier as far as WR's go in how slow and unathletic he is. Doesn't mean you can't be a great WR with his athletic ability, it's just a 1% out of dudes who are already 1%.

Black Lighter
Sep 6, 2010

Just keep looking at what we're doing, keep watering and ask yourselves first and know 'Are you watering? And are you fertilizing every day?' So when it's time to pop, it'll pop.

Dexo posted:

It would be interesting if the Lions or the Seahawks took him and just benched him for a year for the sake of giving him time to bulk up. Otherwise, I'm not sure he'd be able to make it through his rookie year in one piece.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

How tall were his offensive linemen in college? Feels like NFL OL are on average a couple inches taller than the average college OL, wonder if that'd affect his vision on developing plays.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Doltos posted:

Wilson and Murray are also always dealing with injuries

Wilson didn’t miss a game until his 10th season. He wasn’t even playing through any notable injuries all that often.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Black Lighter posted:

It would be interesting if the Lions or the Seahawks took him and just benched him for a year for the sake of giving him time to bulk up. Otherwise, I'm not sure he'd be able to make it through his rookie year in one piece.

If the League fucks up and lets Bryce fall to the Lions without a trade up I am going to be livid.