Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

I beat my dick like it owes me money!

FilthyImp posted:

It's kind of funny that MDF guy is up in arms about "being called a weasel" (not even close to what the other poster said) when they routinely post like this:

It almost sounds like this was more or less a quote, though?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slurm
Jul 28, 2022

by Hand Knit
Looks like we need some actual printing discussion. I finally got the 1.8mm nozzle, trying 'er out. Still need to get the extrusion dialed in but it seems happy in the 4-5mm line width range. Absolute plastic hog and not enough room to stretch its legs but definitely doing interesting things.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
my god that's thick

slurm
Jul 28, 2022

by Hand Knit
I've got to go out of town for a few weeks but when I get back I really hope to get it running in PLA (need to get my smooth PEI dialed in properly instead of using PETG on the Prusa textured as an adhesion hack).

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
Creeping Jesus, I read that as "0.8mm" at first and oh boy was I wrong.

slurm
Jul 28, 2022

by Hand Knit

The Eyes Have It posted:

Creeping Jesus, I read that as "0.8mm" at first and oh boy was I wrong.

Printed Solid sent me one by mistake at first actually, but they made it right, great company to deal with

Slyphic
Oct 12, 2021

All we do is walk around believing birds!

Here4DaGangBang posted:

It almost sounds like this was more or less a quote, though?
More than less. Paraphrased over a handful of sentences and anecdotes. She was very self deprecating. She didn't pretend to know the answer to a few questions asked of her. She reiterated she was merely an enthusiastic volunteer, not a professional or particularly skilled.

The lady next to me asked about the difference between power and current, and the presenter straight up said, "I have no idea, I just leave current at 100% all the time".

I don't know why this is so unbelievable.

And I was paraphrasing that guy that went aggro on my first post and then got all pissy when I was insufficiently meek. I Don't really care that he called me a weasel, this is the internet, just don't turn around and bitch about tone at the same time.

I've got no-formaldehyde added MDF 3mm sheets from a local place, got an accompanying MSDS, can discuss it with the volunteer with a reasonable level of knowledge now, have been watching videos from the manufacturer this past week on operating the lasers and control software, and have moved on to figuring out vector graphic design in corel draw (this last part is going slowly still).

Next week I'll do some test patterns and maybe some basic cuts when I get on the schedule.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

I use Affinity Designer 2 for my laser projects. It seems really cool. One time purchase instead of Adobe monthly fee. Might be worth looking at if you get into lasers. Bring your laptop with you so you can make changes to files. It's very easy to make a mistake exporting a file and throw everything off.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Slyphic posted:

More than less. Paraphrased over a handful of sentences and anecdotes. She was very self deprecating. She didn't pretend to know the answer to a few questions asked of her. She reiterated she was merely an enthusiastic volunteer, not a professional or particularly skilled.

The lady next to me asked about the difference between power and current, and the presenter straight up said, "I have no idea, I just leave current at 100% all the time".

I don't know why this is so unbelievable.

And I was paraphrasing that guy that went aggro on my first post and then got all pissy when I was insufficiently meek. I Don't really care that he called me a weasel, this is the internet, just don't turn around and bitch about tone at the same time.

I've got no-formaldehyde added MDF 3mm sheets from a local place, got an accompanying MSDS, can discuss it with the volunteer with a reasonable level of knowledge now, have been watching videos from the manufacturer this past week on operating the lasers and control software, and have moved on to figuring out vector graphic design in corel draw (this last part is going slowly still).

Next week I'll do some test patterns and maybe some basic cuts when I get on the schedule.

My dude, I apologized already, and I’m doing it again: I’m sorry I hurt your feelings. I really was trying to bring the experience I have to help you out on this new project. I’m not looking for meekness, and I’m sorry I gave you that impression.

I’ve seen a lot of folks very dangerously use these machines when they’re new to them. Safety is very important, and I’m glad you’re getting the projects you want to do knocked out.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

People use something other than inkscape?

Huh.

I'm being facetious, obv, it's just what I know and works well for me.

In other news, I found my first set of projects for when I finally get to build my CNC router (garage is still too drat cold for prolonged work). Excited for when the weather finally turns up here.

The Chairman
Jun 30, 2003

But you forget, mon ami, that there is evil everywhere under the sun
The Affinity apps are worth the $50/each (and often $25 if you can catch one of their sales), I've had much more success using them instead of Inkscape (or GIMP or Scribus) and there's not many tools or features missing compared to Illustrator (or Photoshop or InDesign)

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Affinity looks really nice. I'll have to give the trial a shot for my next project and see if I find it worthwhile.

I would love an Android version as well, since I have a Tab S8+ and so far, vector design software has been pretty weak. Or I just need to convince someone to port inkscape, heh.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Slyphic posted:

im not gonna weigh in on the exchange but please realize there's a recent history of people doing really dumb things with lasers and resin ITT and people are likely to jump the gun in favor of safety, perhaps overzealously, as a result. entirely not your fault, but that's the context.

Serenade
Nov 5, 2011

"I should really learn to fucking read"

slurm posted:

Looks like we need some actual printing discussion. I finally got the 1.8mm nozzle, trying 'er out. Still need to get the extrusion dialed in but it seems happy in the 4-5mm line width range. Absolute plastic hog and not enough room to stretch its legs but definitely doing interesting things.

That is completely vulgar and I absolutely want one. Think of all the vase mode crimes you can get away with.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Do you have to feed it two threads of filament at once?

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

Looking at the log from the previous page, does "Stats 426494.5" indicate the number of seconds since the firmware(?) was initialized? Like a lifetime counter, or is it counting how long since it was last powered on?

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Serenade posted:

That is completely vulgar and I absolutely want one. Think of all the vase mode crimes you can get away with.
I saw the line work and was like ehhhhh then you guys made me realize I wasn't looking at the actual line width at the edge and :psyboom:

Aurium
Oct 10, 2010

AlexDeGruven posted:

People use something other than inkscape?

Huh.

I'm being facetious, obv, it's just what I know and works well for me.

In other news, I found my first set of projects for when I finally get to build my CNC router (garage is still too drat cold for prolonged work). Excited for when the weather finally turns up here.

I use fusion, and export faces (or sketches) as dxf. The only real annoyance is that the laser software doesn't see any difference between construction lines and regular lines. I don't know if this is a limitation of fusion, lightburn or just dxf as a format, but it does mean that a bunch of my sketches would contain extraneous cuts. I wish there was an option for export without, or better yet, different color so I could process it different (say, an engraving).

So, I extrude sketches an arbitrary amount, and then save a face as a dxf. This gives me only the geometry that made the extrusion. It's also occasionally been convenient for 2 almost identical parts where one has a hole or something. Deselect that feature in the extrusion, and save face again.

Wanderless
Apr 30, 2009

ryanrs posted:

I don't need anything made of continuous fiber, yet. But I wanted to understand more about it in the context of high-end industrial 3D printing. I know continuous fiber printers exist, though. Maybe you just indicate what part is the bottom, and feed it through the normal slicer software, and you get what you get?

I realize this is an old question but I just got caught up in the thread. On the Markforged printers, you're on the right track. Orient part, slice, and then edit which layers get the Continuous Fiber reinforcement. It has default settings that essentially put a few layers of CF at the top and bottom of the print, regardless of how useful that would be to the design, which is rarely.
The person setting up the print can go into the slicer and edit which layers have fiber, perimeters/vs linear infill, and infill angle. Layer heights that are compatible with continuous fiber are more limited than without and I think it varies by which model you have, but on the Mk2 it is 125 micron layers for carbon fiber. I think it may be different for the other fibers but it has been way too long since I played with those.
There are minimum feature sizes to reinforce, and anywhere on the layer that isn't/can't be CF is just filled with the base material. Each sliced layer can be a single style of reinforcement, and it is all or nothing. There are silly CAD tricks you can use to get around that but they are a massive pain and screw up the base material slicing as a side effect.

Happy to answer specific questions if you're still looking for them.

tracecomplete
Feb 26, 2017

Serenade posted:

You can pretty easily do a 3-5mm line with an 0.6mm nozzle, I genuinely do not know what the top end of that nozzle could possibly be.

slurm
Jul 28, 2022

by Hand Knit

tracecomplete posted:

You can pretty easily do a 3-5mm line with an 0.6mm nozzle, I genuinely do not know what the top end of that nozzle could possibly be.

I'm not really sure, Prusa slicer has guardrails (refuses to try to slice at a width more than triple nozzle diameter) that make it hard to explore, I'm going to see what Cura can do while I'm away from the printer. I'm definitely limited by flow in PETG so far, need to figure out PLA (I suspect limited by cooling though I'm going to try an old school temp like 170)

slurm fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Feb 27, 2023

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

slurm posted:

I'm not really sure, Prusa slicer has guardrails

prusaslicer is open source. swing for the fences, friend.

tracecomplete
Feb 26, 2017

slurm posted:

I'm not really sure, Prusa slicer has guardrails (refuses to try to slice at a width more than triple nozzle diameter) that make it hard to explore, I'm going to see what Cura can do while I'm away from the printer. I'm definitely limited by flow in PETG so far, need to figure out PLA (I suspect limited by cooling though I'm going to try an old school temp like 170)

The nozzle diameter matters way, way less than the melt zone surface area (this is the point of volcano and CHT nozzles). This may help.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0DAP5Zm1jvk

tracecomplete fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Feb 27, 2023

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Nearing 2yo OP once again. For someone who will strictly be a hobbyist, is an E3P still a good choice for a printer?

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

For the most part, yeah. Definitely do the standard quality of life improvements (flex plate, yellow springs, metal extruder, Capricorn bowden, etc), but after that it should just be a workhorse that still probably ran under $200 (if you find the right deal).

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008
Im about to start from scratch on slicers to revamp my workflow:

I used cura originally but I hate the method to manage different filament options and changes to stls across different materials and printers... so I switched to super slicer , but it seems there is a huge lag in getting new features out.... which brings me right over to Prussia slicer, which seems to incorporate all the new stuff quickly (Arachne, tree supports, paintable supports, adding text,etc)

Is there some viable reason NOT to just restart it all with prussia slicer and run with it? And yes, I thought about branching superslicer and adding the new stuff in, but, no.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

AlexDeGruven posted:

For the most part, yeah. Definitely do the standard quality of life improvements (flex plate, yellow springs, metal extruder, Capricorn bowden, etc), but after that it should just be a workhorse that still probably ran under $200 (if you find the right deal).

$339 CAD currently, so that kinda sucks. I have no engineering background either, but I feel as though I'll be ok with all the guides and resources out there. The Ender wont leave me longing for something more expensive with the light use I have planned will it? Its just going to be knicks and knacks around the house, not concerned with ultra detailed figurines or anything.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

codo27 posted:

$339 CAD currently, so that kinda sucks. I have no engineering background either, but I feel as though I'll be ok with all the guides and resources out there. The Ender wont leave me longing for something more expensive with the light use I have planned will it? Its just going to be knicks and knacks around the house, not concerned with ultra detailed figurines or anything.

That's way, way too much money for an ender 3 pro. You should be able to get a Sovol SV06 for less, and it's better in every possible way.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

259 USD = ~$360 CAD

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

codo27 posted:

259 USD = ~$360 CAD

you're right i forgot about canada's goose based currency but the extra $20 canadian will get you a second Z screw, a touch sensor, a direct drive extruder that's actually good and won't explode immediately, linear rods rather than v-slot rollers, etc etc etc. it would nearly double the price to turn an ender 3 pro into something modern, i know because i've done it lol.

tracecomplete
Feb 26, 2017

codo27 posted:

Nearing 2yo OP once again. For someone who will strictly be a hobbyist, is an E3P still a good choice for a printer?

There isn't a great reason to buy Creality today, IMO. I would aim for a Neptune 3 Pro if possible. They're cheaper and they come with the upgrades you'd probably want. They're also pretty quiet--they're just nice printers.

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

That's way, way too much money for an ender 3 pro. You should be able to get a Sovol SV06 for less, and it's better in every possible way.

I have a SV06 and I like it (I mean, I wrote the Cura profiles for the thing, I wouldn't have if I was going to toss it out the door), but their recent build quality issues turn me off pretty hard.

Mr. Mercury
Aug 13, 2021

Dunno if the sale pricing is still live (230usd) but the Neptune 3 Pro is a pretty excellent limited-fuss model

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.
Will a neptune 3 pro do abs out of the box (with some form of DIY enclosure)?

slurm
Jul 28, 2022

by Hand Knit
Is the Prusa even worth recommending anymore

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

tracecomplete posted:

There isn't a great reason to buy Creality today, IMO. I would aim for a Neptune 3 Pro if possible. They're cheaper and they come with the upgrades you'd probably want. They're also pretty quiet--they're just nice printers.

I have a SV06 and I like it (I mean, I wrote the Cura profiles for the thing, I wouldn't have if I was going to toss it out the door), but their recent build quality issues turn me off pretty hard.

Sure, I don't have an SV06, i really just meant "anything modern that people recommend." Neptune 3 sounds like the better option, just sayin the E3P really shouldn't cost more than like a hundred bucks as a refurb deal that you plan to overhaul.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

Sure, I don't have an SV06, i really just meant "anything modern that people recommend." Neptune 3 sounds like the better option, just sayin the E3P really shouldn't cost more than like a hundred bucks as a refurb deal that you plan to overhaul.

Yeah, thats not the kind thing I'm in the market for. I want out of box ready if possible, initial assembly aside. Looks like the Neptune is sold out for everywhere but Japan.

Mr. Mercury
Aug 13, 2021

armorer posted:

Will a neptune 3 pro do abs out of the box (with some form of DIY enclosure)?

Kinda pushing it depending on the filament, it tops out at 260 degrees so if you need higher temps it's not the right tool for the job

But yeah, it does a lot without the need for tinkering, which has honestly impressed the hell outta me

Mr. Mercury fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Feb 27, 2023

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

slurm posted:

Is the Prusa even worth recommending anymore

It's a great great machine and there's a ton of pros that come with it

But when you can buy two Neptunes or Sovols for the same price it's really hard to recommend it

e:
after less than three months since launch, Anker is abandoning their slicer in favor of PrusaSlicer, lol.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

When the two most commonly advanced alternatives to a Prusa are "this machine is great if you make several upgrades right out of the box" and "this machine is great except for the recent quality control problems," I think Prusas do still have a niche.

$800 is hard to swallow for some people, but it's less than an iPhone costs these days, and nobody hesitates to recommend iPhones that just work over Androids that are "totally fine and just as good."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Chairman
Jun 30, 2003

But you forget, mon ami, that there is evil everywhere under the sun

Sagebrush posted:

When the two most commonly advanced alternatives to a Prusa are "this machine is great if you make several upgrades right out of the box" and "this machine is great except for the recent quality control problems," I think Prusas do still have a niche.

$800 is hard to swallow for some people, but it's less than an iPhone costs these days, and nobody hesitates to recommend iPhones that just work over Androids that are "totally fine and just as good."

yeah, I'm envious of the library of Prusa assembly manuals and troubleshooting guides and calibration advisories when I'm working on my E3-S1 whose entire first-party support consists of a 11-page pamphlet