Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
You have to cover the ironwork in something or it’s going to rust. I assume that that’s enamel, so it’s going to last forever.

It’s looks ornate, but if it’s coming out of the same workshop that makes ornate ironwork for homes and business, it may not save much to have them make austere pieces just for the pumping station.

The drive to avoid the appearance of fiscal irresponsibility at all costs, even literal ones, is how we get stuff like telescope mirrors coated in platinum over gold. Both work equally well for the purpose. Platinum is more expensive, but gold makes for worse headlines. So they go with platinum.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Mx. posted:

ornamentation is good for jobs, dammit

I know I'd feel a lot better about working in a Victorian poo poo factory if it looked like that.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
Eighteen-Karat poo poo-Spreader

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Megillah Gorilla posted:

I know. Efficiency and cost cutting has killed all those little works of art and craftsmanship.

For example, this is a sewerage pumping station in Crossness in the UK and it just blows my mind.

poo poo, just imagine trying to navigate through that visual hell in a hurry, looking for the fire exit or something. There's a good reason why that crap is banned.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
I can see the door from here.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

Pope Corky the IX posted:

I can see the door from here.
That's the door to the spare gilding room, you're already dead, man.

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

SpartanIvy posted:

My friend bought a flip and continues to find janky poo poo, but this takes the cake.

Somehow neither he or the inspector caught that a window on the outside didn't match up to any window on the inside. Also the window wasn't even locked before they walled over it!

My previous house had something like this. But a bit harder to identify. A basement window had been walled over. There was a window well on the outside of the house, but it faced the neighbors driveway, so I was only over there like 2-3 times a year to clear out the weeds that grew through the rock put down over there.

I eventually got curious enough to pull back the window well cover and look down there. I saw a window with a crack in it. I figured after 5+ years and no water damage on the wall, it’s all good and just left it alone. The window would have been in a large room that had other unblocked windows, so there was “safety egress” from the basement. The windows were small, but I am not sure my goon sized body could have fit through them. But children up to middling sized adults would have been fine.

Danhenge
Dec 16, 2005

SpartanIvy posted:

My friend bought a flip and continues to find janky poo poo, but this takes the cake.

Somehow neither he or the inspector caught that a window on the outside didn't match up to any window on the inside. Also the window wasn't even locked before they walled over it!

A couple of my upstairs windows are walled over because they turned room space into closets. The shutters are just closed over the windows, honestly no idea what kind of shape they're in.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Danhenge posted:

A couple of my upstairs windows are walled over because they turned room space into closets. The shutters are just closed over the windows, honestly no idea what kind of shape they're in.

Aw, they could have left them and you'd have an escape when someone locks you in the closet!

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Platystemon posted:

You have to cover the ironwork in something or it’s going to rust. I assume that that’s enamel, so it’s going to last forever.

It’s looks ornate, but if it’s coming out of the same workshop that makes ornate ironwork for homes and business, it may not save much to have them make austere pieces just for the pumping station.

The drive to avoid the appearance of fiscal irresponsibility at all costs, even literal ones, is how we get stuff like telescope mirrors coated in platinum over gold. Both work equally well for the purpose. Platinum is more expensive, but gold makes for worse headlines. So they go with platinum.

Platinum is about half the price of gold

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Megillah Gorilla posted:

I know. Efficiency and cost cutting has killed all those little works of art and craftsmanship.

For example, this is a sewerage pumping station in Crossness in the UK and it just blows my mind.

How do you expect to attract the Machine Spirit to your sewage pumping station and keep it happy in your drab grey concrete box??

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Tunicate posted:

Platinum is about half the price of gold
By weight. Would like to know how the price per mole compares.

Jows
May 8, 2002

1 plat is clearly worth 10 gold. It's right in the rules.

First of May
May 1, 2017
🎵 Bring your favorite lady, or at least your favorite lay! 🎵

Flipperwaldt posted:

1 mol Gold ~= 196.967 grams ~= $11,505
1 mol Platinum ~= 195.078 grams ~= $5,926

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Flipperwaldt posted:

1g gold = 0.0050770041918285 moles. $59.25/g (MONEX)
1g platinum = 0.0051261546663386 moles. $30.93/g (MONEX)

gold is trading at almost double the cost of platinum per weight, and the conversion factor here is close enough that they might as well be the same, for the purposes of comparing prices by the gram vs. by the mole.

e;f,b

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Mar 1, 2023

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

First of May posted:

1 mol Gold ~= 196.967 grams ~= $11,505
1 mol Platinum ~= 195.078 grams ~= $5,926
That's disappointing, I thought there would be a big difference on account of platinum being considered heavy, but then gold is too I guess.

E: Thanks though

First of May
May 1, 2017
🎵 Bring your favorite lady, or at least your favorite lay! 🎵

Flipperwaldt posted:

That's disappointing, I thought there would be a big difference on account of platinum being considered heavy, but then gold is too I guess.

E: Thanks though

Well, you could have 1 mol of Hydrogen for $5 if you want. Pretty good bang for your buck.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

First of May posted:

Well, you could have 1 mol of Hydrogen for $5 if you want. Pretty good bang for your buck.
That i'd rather buy by weight.

SerthVarnee
Mar 13, 2011

It has been two zero days since last incident.
Big Super Slapstick Hunk

Leperflesh posted:

1g gold = 0.0050770041918285 moles. $59.25/g (MONEX)
1g platinum = 0.0051261546663386 moles. $30.93/g (MONEX)

platinum is trading at almost double the cost of gold per weight, and the conversion factor here is close enough that they might as well be the same, for the purposes of comparing prices by the gram vs. by the mole.

e;f,b

Am I just not getting that phrase correctly or are you saying the opposite of what your numbers show?

slurm
Jul 28, 2022

by Hand Knit
Gold is both slightly less dense than platinum and used in heavily-alloyed form in the most commonly encountered day to day application (jewelry) and so you need a lot less of it, rendering platinum seemingly comparable or even more expensive regardless of market price for the pure metal. Also a lot of times platinum does actually go higher than gold (10 years ago it was like 1.5x gold iirc) which makes it seem crazy expensive.

Captain Toasted
Jan 3, 2009

Dejan Bimble posted:

You destroyed some American heritage. Needed some light and a japanese boom boom massager seat and youd have been in heaven

I'm glad I wasn't the only one thinking this. That shitter was Swank

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

SerthVarnee posted:

Am I just not getting that phrase correctly or are you saying the opposite of what your numbers show?

I meant to say gold is double platinum, but I rearranged the order of things in my post, changed it again, and confused myself four times and then didn't proofread. lol

I fixed it thanks

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

First of May posted:

I see what you did there.

Also, platinum is prettier than gold. Gold is just gaudy.
Personally, my choice of jewelry (wedding ring) is tungsten carbide. If "gold is forever", tungsten carbide is longer than that AND doesn't get scratched.

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

Danhenge posted:

My friend lived in an apartment that had this done. I went over one day [around self quarantines were lifted] and was like 'why's it smell so weird bad?' Turns out the window was leaking and he got a lot of Black Mold back there. He had no idea because it was for storage, not clothes, so he didn't go in there enough to figure out where the smell was coming from. So uh. Keep your nose out? I assume your living situation is a lot better than poo poo Apartment in Dump Town. Crappy construction!

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Darchangel posted:

Personally, my choice of jewelry (wedding ring) is tungsten carbide. If "gold is forever", tungsten carbide is longer than that AND doesn't get scratched.

nah, platinum (on jewelry) is just needlessly expensive silver.

gold is warm and glittering and enticing. huge chunky necklaces and stuff look trashy, but so would they also in silver or platinum or anything else. delicate, well-proportioned gold is beautiful.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Darchangel posted:

Tungsten carbide ring could lead to you having a finger amputated in an emergency, it's better to have jewelry that can be removed easily by an EMT or doctor while you are unconscious.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Calling tungsten carbide rings “tungsten carbide” is like calling concrete objects “aggregate”, but y’all aren’t ready for that conversation.

The cement here is nickel or cobalt.

Just Winging It
Jan 19, 2012

The buck stops at my ass
Tungsten carbide would make for a nice & compact 400 lbs block to secure your motorcycle to though.

Jows
May 8, 2002

I went the other way with my ring and got titanium. It's amazingly light.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
Tungsten Carbide is also quite brittle.

We use TC tipped teeth to drill holes in the ground and through rocks and poo poo. It chips easily when hammering new teeth in to bits.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Leperflesh posted:

Tungsten carbide ring could lead to you having a finger amputated in an emergency, it's better to have jewelry that can be removed easily by an EMT or doctor while you are unconscious.

They’re pretty easily broken off, either with a special tool or vice grips.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Leperflesh posted:

Most ERs these days know that you just need a pair of vise-grips to crack a tungsten carbide ring easily and safely.

Hell, a hammer will do the trick. It's just a little riskier.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Yeah, the idea that tungsten carbide rings can't be removed if you get injured is wrong. They generally can't be cut with shears like softer metal rings can, but they can easily be cracked in half with a pair of vise-grips or a similar sort of clamping tool.

e: beaten

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

That's good to know, thanks.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

wesleywillis posted:

We use TC tipped teeth to drill holes in the ground and through rocks and poo poo. It chips easily when hammering new teeth in to bits.

i mean hell i've broken carbide endmills just by dropping them on the floor

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

wesleywillis posted:

Man am I glad not to work at a contractor that sharpens and re-tooths their rock bits, any more. Sure thing boss, I'll drill for 60 hours during the week and spend my Saturday in the bit room at the shop. Said no one, ever.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Arrath posted:

Man am I glad not to work at a contractor that sharpens and re-tooths their rock bits, any more. Sure thing boss, I'll drill for 60 hours during the week and spend my Saturday in the bit room at the shop. Said no one, ever.

Sure as gently caress ain't me saying that!

Hardfacing gets old after a while too.

Danhenge
Dec 16, 2005

Uthor posted:

Aw, they could have left them and you'd have an escape when someone locks you in the closet!

They're both half located in two different closets

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Jows posted:

I went the other way with my ring and got titanium. It's amazingly light.

I have a titanium ring, too. In my left atrium.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

PainterofCrap posted:

I have a titanium ring, too. In my left atrium.

Oooh, I have some stuff in my jaw but that's a much more bad arse body mod.