Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Rinkles posted:

Doesn’t the current rule also favor aggro? I think that’s what people were saying at the time of its introduction

Yeah any deck that cares about which specific X cards in their deck vs having X+1 cards to utilize. Combo decks are the ones that benefit most (see Tron's huge uptick after london mull started) but aggro decks certainly benefit more than control or midrange decks that want to trade resources.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

precision posted:

They could try not making 1 and 2 drops so insane and pushed

Lol

That was how we ended up in the recent midrange fest. They tried making 1/2 drops mediocre with extremely strong 3+ drops and good removal. It was all midrange all the time until they printed some more good 1 drops.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I can't believe they're still doing alchemy sets. Doesn't everyone hate them? Do they sell??

Sit on my Jace
Sep 9, 2016

Chamale posted:

What if the second player started the game with a Treasure token? That's probably too strong.

Obviously this isn't a 1:1 comparison, but Hearthstone essentially does this and it's still generally preferred to go first. Or at least, that's how it was when I played, it's been a number of years.

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

precision posted:

I can't believe they're still doing alchemy sets. Doesn't everyone hate them? Do they sell??

I play a lot of historic brawl so the alchemy cards are relevant to me but I never know when they're coming out 'cause nobody even bothers to post about them in the Arena thread

That doesn't quite answer your question but the attitude toward them around here is so bad nobody even bothers to notice them

And the newest batch sucks poo poo anyway

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer

precision posted:

They get people to come back and draft a format a few more times after the initial allure of the format wears off more than anything I'd guess. I'm doing alchemy drafts of ONE right now and it's mostly just ONE draft with some spice that is pretty fun to play with. They're a lot better when the alchemy set for like SNC dropped and they were busted as hell

MasterBuilder
Sep 30, 2008
Oven Wrangler

Kashuno posted:

They get people to come back and draft a format a few more times after the initial allure of the format wears off more than anything I'd guess. I'm doing alchemy drafts of ONE right now and it's mostly just ONE draft with some spice that is pretty fun to play with. They're a lot better when the alchemy set for like SNC dropped and they were busted as hell

Does ONE need more spice? or does it already spread the spice around?

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Rinkles posted:

Doesn’t the current rule also favor aggro? I think that’s what people were saying at the time of its introduction

Ehhh, the fact that the next format shift after the introduction of the London mulligan was Eldraine standard kinda gave it that reputation due to how monstrously good RDW was. It does help more if you have more early plays in your opener, but I wouldn't say it favors aggro per se, since good aggro decks are gonna pop off with a one lander anyway.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

precision posted:

I saw one card that looked interesting from the new alchemy set (the 1 drop that gives an equipment equip: 1 forever) but I don’t play any of the formats that card is legal in. I’m currently using arena for RC testing for standard.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
How does card in no way involve flying?

Maybe it has art from before a redesign?

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

Hey everyone.

I used to play in the 90s (in fact, I learned English by getting flamed for my bad spelling on the wotc listserv!) and now my son plays, which means I got back into it. Tired of relying on his cards, I just literally built and bought a deck for myself on card kingdom which blew my mind that that's even possible. Amazing.

ANYWAY - when I was his age I love this book called "Tapestry" that was a bunch of mtg-inspired short stories. I don't remember if it was good or not but I remember loving it. My question: are there any good/well-written young adult mtg-related books out there?

Also how do I convince him that having a 5-color 40 card deck is stupid?

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

nvrgrls posted:

Buy him a bunch of fetches and triomes so he can do 5c in 60 cards

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

nvrgrls posted:

Well, it depends what the 40 cards are - there have been some limited environments where "5 colour good stuff" is much better than in others.

Best way to teach in magic is to use times when things go wrong as learning experiences, with the proviso that sometimes you just don't have it - for 5 colour decks, that might be when he has the wrong colours of mana to play his cards, for example.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

nvrgrls posted:

Hey everyone.

I used to play in the 90s (in fact, I learned English by getting flamed for my bad spelling on the wotc listserv!) and now my son plays, which means I got back into it. Tired of relying on his cards, I just literally built and bought a deck for myself on card kingdom which blew my mind that that's even possible. Amazing.

ANYWAY - when I was his age I love this book called "Tapestry" that was a bunch of mtg-inspired short stories. I don't remember if it was good or not but I remember loving it. My question: are there any good/well-written young adult mtg-related books out there?

That book was wild. I don't know of any good or even readable Magic stories made since then, but even though I'm a native English speaker I also owe my vocabulary to Magic. My daughter will be reading a book and ask me what a word means or how to pronounce it, and most of the time I know the word from some obscure blue card from Tempest block or something.

Stories are mostly digital these days, which sucks, but they're not good either, which sucks even more. I've seen some cute-looking Dungeons & Dragons novels at bookstores if you're looking for Magic-adjacent. Some of those D&D characters and monsters got their own cards in Magic's recent D&D sets, too.

My daughter bought me Magic: The Gathering - The Visual Guide by Jay Annelli. It's a coffee table style book with Magic art and a guide to all the characters and planes. I definitely recommend it, plus it'll catch you up on Magic's lore.

Thom Yorke raps
Nov 2, 2004

Rinkles posted:

How does card in no way involve flying?

Maybe it has art from before a redesign?

It isn't the flying things, it is the thing they are flying out of. It is the Hive

(Dandan isn't the boat)

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Thom Yorke raps posted:

It isn't the flying things, it is the thing they are flying out of. It is the Hive

(Dandan isn't the boat)

The mites don't fly either

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

MrL_JaKiri posted:

The mites don't fly either

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~
Your lovely shrine maiden fox wife, Tamamo no Mae, is here to help!

Sit on my Jace posted:

Obviously this isn't a 1:1 comparison, but Hearthstone essentially does this and it's still generally preferred to go first. Or at least, that's how it was when I played, it's been a number of years.

Force of Will also does (did? is it even still around?) this: the player going second got to create a 'Will token' that could be sacced for one of their not-commander's colors.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
Free mana on the draw would do some real weird stuff to combo decks like oops and whatnot.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Yeah please make it so that I only have to get 3 mana sources instead of 4 to go off on turn 1. Even just having enough extra mana for a Thoughtseize to strip out a counterspell would be huge.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Yeah, the existence of decks like Oops All Spells or Scam is a thorn in the side of changing mulligan rules to allow too much hand consistency.

I remember the story Richard Garfield told that after they banned Black Lotus, he got a letter from some kid who said he would miss playing War Mammoth on turn one.

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

LifeLynx posted:

That book was wild. I don't know of any good or even readable Magic stories made since then, but even though I'm a native English speaker I also owe my vocabulary to Magic. My daughter will be reading a book and ask me what a word means or how to pronounce it, and most of the time I know the word from some obscure blue card from Tempest block or something.
That's awesome.

Thank you for the Visual Guide rec.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Chamale posted:

Yeah, the existence of decks like Oops All Spells or Scam is a thorn in the side of changing mulligan rules to allow too much hand consistency.

I remember the story Richard Garfield told that after they banned Black Lotus, he got a letter from some kid who said he would miss playing War Mammoth on turn one.

7 lines of text? Didnt finish reading but I bet this card is badass

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Ooh, I didn't notice there's a new Rhystic Studies (holy poo poo it's an hour) [cw: hosed up dentistry stuff, as well as the expected]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rRl0Z-HYe2g

This is the new "Tapestry" imo

CharlieFoxtrot fucked around with this message at 05:20 on Mar 2, 2023

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Ooh, I didn't notice there's a new Rhystic Studies (holy poo poo it's an hour) [cw: hosed up dentistry stuff, as well as the expected]

This video is seriously so. Good.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Watched it earlier and it was all great but I especially loved the bit with actual spoken examples of Phyrexian with the Metallica noises included, and a detailed explanation of the basic structure of the language.

Fritzler
Sep 5, 2007

MasterBuilder posted:

Could someone that plays pioneer give a reality check on this Tyvar sacrifice deck? It's nearly one to one with what I play on arena in explorer and while looking at potential changes I saw the explorer version is basically the same as pioneer (I added deathrite shamans in the sideboard just because I have them)

It does have some 5-0 in a league but I'm not sure if that's a real indicator of quality and I'm concerned that in practice it would get hit by incidental graveyard hate.
I think it is interesting and fun deck. When you look at like top 8 of recent pro tour there were a lot of combo decks. Worry about this being too slow for that, but really good against other creature decks and rakdos midrange, much like rakdos sac. Prob way better in explorer cuz those combo decks don’t really exist in explorer yet, but something to think about.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy

rickiep00h posted:

This video is seriously so. Good.

I fuckin love conlangs. This was such a good watch, as one could expect from Sam.

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

Rhystic Studies is the best mtg content by miles

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

I'd watch the hell out of an animated series with that Phyrexian language. It's so beautiful and otherworldly. Are there any WOTC videos with Phyrexians speaking?

Sylvian Wastes
Jan 3, 2022

by Hand Knit
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HLFRvmPLWOo
There's this pro tour Philadelphia presentation by two ladies at wizards who manage the language where some phrases are spoken in phyrexian. Its even revealed that Urabrasks flavor text 'Let them be' is actually 'Let them be, duh.' due to Urabrasks use of phyrexian slang. Like he's pointing out the obvious to his subordinates. Go to 24:44 for that whole section. Before it at 22:37 is the in universe explanation for why phyrexian is written the way it is.

MasterBuilder
Sep 30, 2008
Oven Wrangler

Fritzler posted:

I think it is interesting and fun deck. When you look at like top 8 of recent pro tour there were a lot of combo decks. Worry about this being too slow for that, but really good against other creature decks and rakdos midrange, much like rakdos sac. Prob way better in explorer cuz those combo decks don’t really exist in explorer yet, but something to think about.

Thanks. I think I'm going to mull it over a bit longer before pulling the trigger because I can still play it on arena and with the amount of compleated bundles that will be opened this weekend the price of tyvars is going to drop even more. Not that he is the expensive part of the deck but I think he'll drop below 1$.

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

i was watching this as i went to bed and 26:34 legit scared me

Sylvian Wastes
Jan 3, 2022

by Hand Knit
We have the entire thing with Atraxa's daughter Ixhel quietly turning against the Machine Orthodoxy while Vishgraz, made with Geths head and presumably having access to his memories is in the dross pits doing something.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LdDXMG9jvwg

"In consuming our world, the infectors have become infected." That line is becoming more true as time passes.
Below is a relevant excerpt from the Ixhel sidestory
https://magic.wizards.com/en/news/magic-story/a-hollow-body

quote:

"I wanted—" You don't finish. That's the crux—you feel it before it leaves your teeth. You wanted, and in wanting, you failed.

You meant to say you wanted to save them, to give them what you have, what everyone will soon have—to lay Geth's foolishness low and raise Belaxis's nervous attentiveness, but . . . that would be a lie, at least in part.

You hated Geth, the things he said clanging in your head like discordant bells. You liked Belaxis, or you liked the elegant lines of his incompleat flesh, the way the light glinted off his bright eyes and pale body.

You don't know why. You just didn't want either of them to disappear. You wanted to bring them with you. You are a wretched creature.

"I wanted to save you," is all you say aloud.

When Vishgraz responds with that same musical laugh, you both expect it and can't stand it. You jerk away from him. "Silence!"

"Save me?"

You raise a hand. "I told you, be quiet!" He doesn't wince, doesn't try to stop you. This is what stays your hand. It's not like you could do him any real damage, not anymore.

"Saved?" He steps in closer to you, limbs clicking, eyes gleaming. "Inside me, I can feel this body aching to tear itself apart. I feel the disparate parts of all the things that I used to be."

He looms over you, body so huge he blots out the light. He could crush you if he tried.

"I don't remember what I used to be," you say. You lean against him in a parody of an embrace. You shiver. It feels like you have been run through, like Belaxis on the spike.

The Dross Pits stink. You stand beneath the same shaft and look up, through the swirling mist of necrogen. The same spot, but you feel miles away. It is not the plane that has changed.

Beside you, Vishgraz makes a questioning noise, like he is expecting a blow.

"Go," you say.

Nothing.

"Go!"

A slow exhalation of breath. "You should come with me."

That makes you look up. You laugh. "No."

Vishgraz takes an unsteady step toward you. "You know, Ixhel. I know that you do. They claim to read the stars, to know that the Multiverse is meant to come under Phyrexian rule. The harmony of compleation will spread and spread and that is good and right." Another step. "But you know all of that is ashes. You, your people, everything you have set yourselves to do—all of it exists at the whim of a tyrant."

You should deny it.

You say nothing.

"Your Machine Orthodoxy means as much as my contracts."

"You aren't him," you growl.

"Then what am I?"

You stare at the fractured ground. "You are my first defiance. Now go."

He is silent for a long time, and when he does respond, it is with nothing but the quiet creak of his limbs, the ones you gave him.

You stand at the base of the shaft long after he has vanished into the dark. Deep in the center of you is an ache that wishes to follow him.

But you don't.

Not yet.

Something is going on when Phyrexians who have been born to the oil and the ideology it carries can question it and go against it, even when not in red.

neaden
Nov 4, 2012

A changer of ways
https://twitter.com/CWAUnion/status/1631359432071303169?s=20
Tcgplayer being lovely and telling people to call the cops on their fellow coworkers for union building.

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Roman Reigns fights CM Punk in fantasy warld. Lotsa violins, so littl kids cant red it.

neaden posted:

https://twitter.com/CWAUnion/status/1631359432071303169?s=20
Tcgplayer being lovely and telling people to call the cops on their fellow coworkers for union building.

God drat I hate Union-busting poo poo. I won’t be using TCGPlayer until this gets sorted out and the workers are able to successfully unionize.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
Reminder that Card Kingdom recognized their employer’s union

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

ugh, literally just made a purchase through them like two days ago. definitely stopping there til further notice lmao, christ

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

TotalHell posted:

God drat I hate Union-busting poo poo. I won’t be using TCGPlayer until this gets sorted out and the workers are able to successfully unionize.

Mix. posted:

ugh, literally just made a purchase through them like two days ago. definitely stopping there til further notice lmao, christ

Do keep in mind that the union hasn't called for a boycott of their employer, and they may not want people to stop shopping there. Their jobs do on some level depend on TCGPlayer getting business!

They have asked people to contact TCGPlayer to ask them to stop union busting.

Pinterest Mom fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Mar 3, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug
Back at it again with another middling tournament report!

New tournament reports

Tournament report:

Deck list:

Creatures:

4x Ornithopter
2x Giver of Runes
4x Esper Sentinel
4x Stoneforge Mystic
4x Puresteel Paladin
1x Kor Outfitter
1x Invisible Stalker
1x Gingerbrute
(21)

Enchantments:

4x Sigarda's Aid
(4)

Instants:

2x Spell pierce
2x Blacksmith's Skill
(4)

Artifacts:

4x Colossus Hammer
1x Shadowspear
1x Nettlecyst
1x Kaldra Compleat
2x Springleaf Drum
(9)

Land:

4x Urza's saga
4x Plains
4x Flooded Strand
2x Hallowed Fountain
2x Seachrome Coast
3x Inkmoth Nexus
2x Marsh Flats
1x Arid Mesa
(22)

(60)

Sideboard:

2x March of Otherworldly Light
2x Path to Exile
3x Sanctifier en-Vec
2x Spell pierce
1x Blacksmith's Skill
2x Lavinia, Azorius Renegade
1x Pithing Needle
1x Relic of Progenitus
1x Manriki-Gusari
(15)

R1 vs 5c elementals (60 card ephemerate)
Win die roll
Win 2-1

- [ ] G1: I get a quick presence with protection spells and swing out relatively quickly with a blacksmiths skill to protect the hammer
- [ ] G2: opponent gets a t3feri and W6 and multiple solitudes and I get ground out
- [ ] G3: opponent has an active w6 and boseiju loop which gets 4 lands out of my deck until I land pithing needle and equip hammer and kaldra compleat on an invisible stalker. Absolute banger game. Invisible stalker continues to overperform

R2 vs 5c elementals (75 card ephemerate)
Lose die roll
Win 2-0

G1: opponent keeps a 1-lander on the play (????) but I still play very cautiously by making constructs and eventually drawing a paladin to suit them up

G2: opponent leads with cavern -> boseiju (????) I lead with a very conservative start to play around evoke elementals. Opponent reveals a solitude of a green suns twilight, I draw and immediately cast a lavinia. Then draw a paladin and equip a hammer onto a Lavinia and a hammer onto esper sentinel and its gg. Opponent died with solitude and force of vigor in hand on 3 land.

R3 vs: rakdos scam
Lose die roll
Lose 1-2

G1: mull to 5 get thoughtseized, get opponent to 5 poison with inkmoth, never find a way to put the hammer on the inkmoth

G2: invisible stalker Carries the game with a hammer.

G3: mull to 6 get double grief’d on the draw. Draw 4 lands and 2 sigardas aids while facing a clock

R4 vs grixis deaths shadow
Win die roll
Lose 1-2

G1: use the ol urzas saga value engine as well as the T1 sigardas aid

G2: mull to 5, get thoughtseized which takes sanctifier. I am unable to grind out a win. I play around temur battle rage and it was extremely wrong to do so. Ah, well, nevertheless.

G3: mull to 6 and try to play the grindy value game. T1 sigardas aid is just okay. Bad news is I see zero protection spells so everything is open to removal spells. Opponent draws an alpine moon for urzas saga and that seals the deal for me

R5 vs amulet
Win die roll
Win 2-1

G1: we both mull to 6 and keep extremely questionable hands. Opponent casts all 4 arboreal grazer and 3 explore but sees no amulets or other creatures. I eventually put a hammer and shadowspear onto a paladin and that’s the ballgame

G2: I get close with a paladin and two path to exiles on two dryads. But the opponent has a third dryad and two valakut and a bounceland and hits me for exactsies

G3: another weird game. I have a pithing needle on boseiju. Opponent appears to draw every forest in the deck I chip in for 2 infect with a shadowspear and then suit up the inkmoth with a hammer and shadowspear, but forget to give it flying again. Opponent miscounts the blocks and takes 8 infect anyways lmao

Bubble out like a beef boy