Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Bread Set Jettison posted:

Appraisal came in 90k over our offer of 605k. Hilariously looking back at the listing price history, the owner listed it at 700k originally.

Lol holy cow we got lucky

Congratulations on... um... nothing unless you can sell it at that price point! Your previous owner sure didn't get appraised value for it. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Damn, this is good coffee.
Our appraisal seemed like the junkiest of junk science intended as a rubber stamp so that our mortgage application would be approved. A bunch of fudged numbers here and there, wow the land is worth X so the improvements are magically worth (our offer) minus X, tada, our appraisal matches our offer!

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

illcendiary posted:

Our appraisal seemed like the junkiest of junk science intended as a rubber stamp so that our mortgage application would be approved. A bunch of fudged numbers here and there, wow the land is worth X so the improvements are magically worth (our offer) minus X, tada, our appraisal matches our offer!

Our appraiser didn't even visit the property. They went off the realtor photos, per the write-up, because COVID restrictions didn't allow for appraisal visits during the purchase period. :downs:

Jenkl
Aug 5, 2008

This post needs at least three times more shit!

Sundae posted:

Our appraiser didn't even visit the property. They went off the realtor photos, per the write-up, because COVID restrictions didn't allow for appraisal visits during the purchase period. :downs:

Hmmm, the exposure is all wrong. Clearly this home is worth 100k less.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

Sundae posted:

Congratulations on... um... nothing unless you can sell it at that price point! Your previous owner sure didn't get appraised value for it. :v:

the county can point to it for why they're raising the assessed value of the home for property taxes next year :coal:

take me you ANIMAL
Nov 28, 2002

Congrats big boy

Inept posted:

the county can point to it for why they're raising the assessed value of the home for property taxes next year :coal:

And all of your neighbors, thanks all the leasing people around Austin that have bought up every house in our neighborhood and then rented them out for 1k over our mortgage a month. I think possibly one out of the twenty houses around me that was listed in the last three years since we moved in has been bought by an actual person.

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

Offer accepted on a 2 bed/1 bath condo just outside Boston, agent sending more details on next steps tomorrow, I think I'm gonna go have a heart attack in the meantime

chupacabron
Oct 30, 2004

4th offer declined. It’s the second time our realtor has said we’re the second choice. At this point I’m relieved

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
At this point it seems like the only way to get z house is to show up with a suitcase of cash.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/amp/rcna72846

quote:

Mortgage... Volume was 44% lower than the same week one year ago, and is now sitting at a 28-year low.

Posts per day in this thread are down to an average of less than six, a year ago we might be doing two pages a day

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

BFC posts are a leading indicator.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Hadlock posted:

Posts per day in this thread are down to an average of less than six, a year ago we might be doing two pages a day

And that's a good thing because a lot of those posts were generated by people FOMO'ing D and F grade garbage at premium prices with no inspection contingencies.

Jesus In A Can
Jul 2, 2007
From Concentrate
I'm closing on Friday morning. Stoked, can't wait for the plumbing to rupture Saturday morning.

Douche4Sale
May 8, 2003

...and then God said, "Let there be douche!"

Jesus In A Can posted:

I'm closing on Friday morning. Stoked, can't wait for the plumbing to rupture Saturday morning Sunday evening.

Fixed that for you for maximum pain and inconvenience.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

Motronic posted:

And that's a good thing because a lot of those posts were generated by people FOMO'ing D and F grade garbage at premium prices with no inspection contingencies.
Hey, I got an inspection on my D grade garbage!

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Douche4Sale posted:

Fixed that for you for maximum pain and inconvenience.

No no it's going to be next FRIDAY evening so that you have to pay extra to get somebody out on the weekend. But in actually they won't be available to the NEXT weekend.

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now
We are revisiting the rent v buy convo. We're on the cusp of renting being almost a pain in the rear end and cribbing the lifestyle we want. Definitely approaching this with a lifestyle choice mindset and not investment.

Some things pushing us: Solid plans of being in this city for at least 5 years and Portland rental prices keep climbing. Newer apartments are luxury apartments and this year's lease renewal has me thinking scared. Plus they don't make 3br apartments and would like to have a solid guest room for when my MIL visits, which is monthly. My partner is eligible for a VA loan (yay no PMI) so the down payment is already available to us as we could do 10% now with leftover emergency fund money. We don't even own a car so our fixed and variable expenses are super low.

He has 20k in student loans, I have no debt. Both of us are in a good retirement savings range.

We're just very conservative and have been in the "rent forever" mindset.

cheese eats mouse fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Mar 1, 2023

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

cheese eats mouse posted:

We are revisiting the rent v buy convo. We're on the cusp of renting being almost a pain in the rear end and cribbing the lifestyle we want. Definitely approaching this with a lifestyle choice mindset and not investment.

Some things pushing us: Solid plans of being in this city for at least 5 years and Portland rental prices keep climbing. Newer apartments are luxury apartments and this year's lease renewal has me thinking scared. Plus they don't make 3br apartments and would like to have a solid guest room for when my MIL visits, which is monthly. My partner is eligible for a VA loan (yay no PMI) so the down payment is already available to us as we could do 10% now with leftover emergency fund money.

He has 20k in student loans, I have no debt. Both of us are in a good retirement savings range.

Buying is a no brainer if you want to buy a house.

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

Did the inspection today, things look fine aside from issues with the siding so I have my agent on a hunt to get more HOA meeting minutes and plans for maintenance on the complex

Getting loan estimates with breakdowns out of lenders is like pulling teeth though. I'm trying to give you money come on!! (will take recs for Massachusetts lenders)

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Some things pushing us: Solid plans of being in this city for at least 5 years and Portland rental prices keep climbing. Newer apartments are luxury apartments and this year's lease renewal has me thinking scared. Plus they don't make 3br apartments and would like to have a solid guest room for when my MIL visits, which is monthly. My partner is eligible for a VA loan (yay no PMI) so the down payment is already available to us as we could do 10% now with leftover emergency fund money. We don't even own a car so our fixed and variable expenses are super low.

From a purely financial standpoint - ignoring the lifestyle choice parts of the decision that are frankly just as if not more important - you're basically making a long-term gamble that the price of renting will continue to increase faster than inflation. Getting a mortgage basically locks you into paying a fixed amount for housing per month* which can work out really nicely for you as rents increase. I know a few people with mortgages they signed in the 00s an 10s who would probably be priced out of their local rental markets these days. Now, that said, the asterisk up there is a loving huge one because you're responsible for a lot more than just the mortgage amount. poo poo like repairs etc., and that can be a considerable financial burden.

There's another layer of analysis to look at too, namely what you could do with the money you're saving by renting instead of buying. For a while at least you're likely to be paying more in mortgage than you would in rent, even in a rapidly inflating rental market, and that's money you could be putting into retirement or other investments.

Basically the math gets complex, fast, and it really depends on what, specifically, your local rental situation looks like, what your local housing market looks like, and how much work the housing stock in your area needs (e.g. what you're looking at having to pay on average annually in repair/maintenance), and how realistic it is that you'll actually save the money you save by renting rather than spend it.

Ultimately it really does come down to lifestyle.

Me, personally, if I 100% needed 3br I'd probably want to buy but that's just because at the point that i'm having a dedicated guest room I probably want to interact with that kind of space a bit more and make it a bit more mine. Put in a garden, paint a wall, etc. But that's just where I come down, which matters to exactly no one except me.

Xyven
Jun 4, 2005

Check to induce a ban

Starting to look for a house in the NYC suburbs and the premium for an easy commute into the city is massive. It's like 200k to have a 10 min walk to the train station instead of 30

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now
Look at it as .63c a day to save 40 minutes of your life over 30 years.

If I math’d right

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Look at it as .63c a day to save 40 minutes of your life over 30 years.

If I math’d right

you did not.

$200,000 in incremental cost gets to $1,396 a month at current 7+% rates. So you'd pay about 69 bucks a day (20 working days a month) to save 40 minutes. (nice). That ain't cheap, though.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

That's three hours of you life back every week

If you spend 8 hours a day awake && not at work that's like an extra weekday of free time a month

That 40 minutes a day is probably worth double when it's raining and triple when it's snowing

Baddog
May 12, 2001

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

you did not.

$200,000 in incremental cost gets to $1,396 a month at current 7+% rates. So you'd pay about 69 bucks a day (20 working days a month) to save 40 minutes. (nice). That ain't cheap, though.

Man, I appreciate the 69/4/20! Nicely done.

But 1K a month might be the more conservative approximation (6%/12 * 200K), so 50 a day. 50 for 40 minutes saved. Or $75/hour. Sounds pretty close to "median income of people looking to buy property in the vicinity of an NYC suburb train stop".

Xyven, you might be thinking "ehh I'm getting my exercise in every day doing that walk, it won't be bad." But you're gonna end up *hating* it.

Xyven
Jun 4, 2005

Check to induce a ban

Baddog posted:

Man, I appreciate the 69/4/20! Nicely done.

But 1K a month might be the more conservative approximation (6%/12 * 200K), so 50 a day. 50 for 40 minutes saved. Or $75/hour. Sounds pretty close to "median income of people looking to buy property in the vicinity of an NYC suburb train stop".

Xyven, you might be thinking "ehh I'm getting my exercise in every day doing that walk, it won't be bad." But you're gonna end up *hating* it.

My wife has a similar commute, so we're getting twice the value. I'd go nuts with an hour+ commute each day, so not really considering anything more than ~15 minute walk. Just getting a bit of sticker shock!

Has anybody added central AC to a house that previously only had window units? Trying to figure out the cost/difficulty to add AC - with how hot summers have been getting, no AC is a deal-breaker.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

Mecca-Benghazi posted:

Did the inspection today, things look fine aside from issues with the siding so I have my agent on a hunt to get more HOA meeting minutes and plans for maintenance on the complex

Getting loan estimates with breakdowns out of lenders is like pulling teeth though. I'm trying to give you money come on!! (will take recs for Massachusetts lenders)

DCU has decent rates and retains servicing on their originated mortgages. I suspect closing costs might be a bit higher though. I'd definitely check them, though.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

Xyven posted:

Has anybody added central AC to a house that previously only had window units? Trying to figure out the cost/difficulty to add AC - with how hot summers have been getting, no AC is a deal-breaker.

If you have forced hot air, you could upgrade to a heat pump or add an AC. It's not going to be cheap, and it may still not be very feasible. If you don't have forced hot air, then just get minisplits. In fact, even if you have forced hot air, minisplits might be a decent option.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Hadlock posted:

That's three hours of you life back every week

If you spend 8 hours a day awake && not at work that's like an extra weekday of free time a month

That 40 minutes a day is probably worth double when it's raining and triple when it's snowing

I strongly advocate paying the extra money to live closer to transit but it’s a choice and it’s important to have the number right.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I strongly advocate paying the extra money to live closer to transit but it’s a choice and it’s important to have the number right.

Yeah the very wealthy use private jets to claim back enormous amounts of personal time

In the under 2mm/yr a year crowd the best you can do is buy a house less than 20 minute walk from your office

You never ever get that time back. Commute time is peak waking hours time to spend with your family too so it's doubly valuable

Baddog
May 12, 2001

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Geeking out about it some more, it's actually the difference between expected return on 200k elsewhere (stock/bond mix) and 200k in a house, right? We just shorthand it sometimes to an expected RoR, but that's way less valid in this new fed/inflation environment.

Probably less than a 2 or 3 percent difference there over 15-20 years.

So maybe it's more like 25 or 30 an hour, and the average homebuyers in the area are just not valuing their time nearly enough.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Living closer to work and having an actual goddamn view are really hard to properly quantity. When I moved in with my then-girlfriend we splurged and paid an extra ~$800 a month on our one bedroom with a view of the bay bridge. Commuting an hour each way to suburbia wasn't much fun but there wasn't a single night I didn't super enjoy looking out the window to the bay and the bridge and living there is still a highlight of my early 30s

Also living walking distance from a grocery store, pub, at least one decent restaurant etc is a huge quality of life multiplier. I started eating a lot more fresh meals, and actually eating fresh produce because you just go a block out of you way on the commute home, don't have to hassle with parking the car, loading/unloading the car just pick up a single bag of groceries 2-3 times a week

You can assign a dollar value to this stuff, but also where and how you live is a very significant part of your life and dollar expense. If you're lucky enough to have the choice... The extra $200k extra is almost always going to be worth the price

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Xyven posted:

My wife has a similar commute, so we're getting twice the value. I'd go nuts with an hour+ commute each day, so not really considering anything more than ~15 minute walk. Just getting a bit of sticker shock!

The real fun sticker shock comes at school district/area boundaries. Identical houses can literally back up to each other and with a price difference of $100k or more.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Xyven posted:

It can cost anywhere between $4,000 and $80,000.

Most people who have heat that isn't already forced air will install mini splits. Some people will go with an HVLP system, which is very expensive but easier to hide. Other people live in a home that's not full of historic details and rather just a big box with one floor so they jam an evap and blower in the attic and run vents to the ceilings of each room.

It all depends on specifics and budget.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Xyven posted:

How long is a piece of string

I lived in a ~1400 sq ft rental that was long and narrow with a sort of long dividing wall that split the front of the house into living room/kitchen, they just chopped a square at the top of each wall and then framed in a square "vent" with drywall and painted over it. Another tube ran back to the bedrooms and bathrooms. Looked like some guy knocked out the whole project in a day, worked really well.

Adding AC to a 4500 sq ft sprawling mid century thing.... there's probably a reason why nobody attempted it until now

Mini splits are awesome

Shats Basoon
Jun 13, 2013

Ornery and Hornery posted:

I am curious because yeah the no PMI thing is what I’m looking for.

Didn’t see anything like that at the first banks and credit unions I checked.

A little late but I put 3.5% down on a $265k house and my PMI is $48/mo. A little annoying but better than saving up for another year to get to 20%

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Remember that PMI depends on your credit score. If you have good credit the PMI estimates of online calculators will be wildly off.

Jesus In A Can
Jul 2, 2007
From Concentrate

Shifty Pony posted:

Remember that PMI depends on your credit score. If you have good credit the PMI estimates of online calculators will be wildly off.

To add to the pile of anecdata, my credit score was 807, I put 5% down on a $177,500 house, and my PMI is coming in at $33.73 a month.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Hadlock posted:

Living closer to work and having an actual goddamn view are really hard to properly quantity
Yeah. My husband thought we way overpaid for our previous house because of its view. I enjoyed it every drat day we lived there, and guess what! It was the thing that sold the house. The realtor staged it with a couple of tables out on the (raised) deck, and people fell in love.

He felt we overpaid for our current house because it was beside the sea. I am enjoying it every drat day we live here, and so is he. And if it sells for less than we paid for it, it's been worth it. (It might be, because it's harder and harder to insure land in California near trees, and we border on a state park.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Views being so valuable must be because houses are prisons