Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
I've always preferred the safety system wherein you change society so it has less poverty and smaller income disparity, thereby reducing my chances of burglary.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

His Divine Shadow posted:

I've always preferred the safety system wherein you change society so it has less poverty and smaller income disparity, thereby reducing my chances of burglary.

In the UK? I think the class system is considered a Heritage Asset and can only be changed in ways that respect the original construction methods, sorry. :shrug:

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

there is no space for L shaped homes in your weird utopia

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

How dare you try and make things better *writes columns at you*

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
The big pretty metal bar on the front door is really cold to the touch. Might try and add another wire and drill a heating element down the middle of it.

Lord Awkward
Feb 16, 2012
The ol' spicy doorknob handle

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

NotJustANumber99 posted:

The big pretty metal bar on the front door is really cold to the touch. Might try and add another wire and drill a heating element down the middle of it.

Not too late to tie it into the radiant heating system

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

Yeah you should plumb hot water through it like one of those heated towel rails.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
Metal door bar made of enriched uranium for handwarming

bennyfactor
Nov 21, 2008

Failed Imagineer posted:

Metal door bar made of enriched uranium for handwarming

:discourse: Now dat'sa spicy door bar!

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

I just hang a paint can from a rope behind my unlocked front door

Gasmask
Apr 27, 2003

And if thou gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will also gaze into thee
Well I like the door

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

sebzilla posted:

This is how to stress test a door

https://youtu.be/9v34zHuW_uQ

Use the Kool Aid guy instead

Upgrade
Jun 19, 2021

the OP owns a tesla, so this isn’t an option for them sorry

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

idgi

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Hi. I used to have a thread here that I abandoned.

In the meantime I've largely been having a bad ankle and lying in bed like a gouty old monarch, but occasionally I've been to site to try and keep up the pretence of progress.

Insulation in the vaulted ceiling space and loft too, in between rafters and trusses, and taping over all joints with silver foil tape. Because this house is apparently, above ground, mostly polystyrene and Sellotape.

I downloaded this batch of photos a while ago intending to make a post but I'm now struggling to understand the narrative I was attempting to construct.

The gist of it is I'm insulating.

And trying to do it at the optimum envelope of the building, which means wedging some bits in and taping over the cracks.

And we've got the temporary floor still up in the main room to insulate and tape that first between the rafters, then under.

So at one end of the loft I'm going to install the data cabinet for the house brain and the MVHR (?) unit so need a physical space for those to go but also an insulated bulkhead between the in envelope loft space and the not in the envelope cold roof.

Now that I'm typing this out I realise I need to do a lot more to explain this.

So firstly a shelf really.

then start insulating all around it

OK so I've bought a bunch of metal trunking to run all electrics in.

100mm square profile to leave the plant room where the power comes in and goes into the consumer unit, then breaking down into 50mm square trunking for runs either side of the loft and vaulted areas. From these electric trunks, I will then dangle 20/25mm plastic conduit to each outlet/switch/etc. Its a whole clever system.

And where it goes through the walls into the vaulted area I need to cut little holes and feed it through.

tada like that

Anywhere that individual sockets or switches need to drop down from it I will drill holes in it, like this

You'd think I'd have planned this all out first but no so now I am trying to drill holes in situ and

nope. So i have to pull some back out and re-pre-drill it.

So this is the plan:

Orange = electrics
Purple = data
blue = air

Heres the start of the trunking in the plant room, at 100mm, going through into the house.

and into the house. you can see the data baskets above. lol i dont think I am making any sense. trust me

and from that trunking, conduits will drop down as shown

into wall chased backboxes like this

But I need to get drawstrings in each one as I install it so I can later pull though all the wires.

Which is tricky.

so string

cut length of plastic conduit and clamp it high up. Tie string to a little scrw and drop it down the conduit. wiggle conduit until it comes out and tape up string both ends for later use. easy peasy

And the mvhr pipes ordered last year have arrived. to rental house, not site. Still no mvhr.

they are long, but thanks to my perfect collection of vehicles I have just the way to transport those up to site

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad

NotJustANumber99 posted:

In the meantime I've largely been having a bad ankle and lying in bed like a gouty old monarch, but occasionally I've been to site to try and keep up the pretence of progress.

I downloaded this batch of photos a while ago intending to make a post but I'm now struggling to understand the narrative I was attempting to construct.

You're obviously showing us your royal throne.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Minus the last two photos looks like you're building a McDonald's addition module to the international space station

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal
The loving convertible with the pipes in it slays me I love it.

Nice job, it looks like it will be an amazing office (when it's drywalled and not looking like the inside of a microwave). I like the idea of having a space up there to focus just in work honestly.

So did you fix the truck?

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

The natural evolution of the goon basement

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

It’s the fact that it’s a Smart Roadster that gets me. The only thing better would be a full on Smart.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

A trick you can do for the conduit pull string (rather than relying on gravity) is to use a vacuum cleaner to suck the string through. If you have any particularly curvy runs or non gravity assisted sections maybe give it a try. If the vacuum won't pull the string by itself you can tie it around a scrap of thin plastic bag, sized to slip easily through the conduit.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках
I usually just use a foot or so of flagging tape for that. Easy to stuff in the conduit, and easy to straighten out at the far end.

Gasmask
Apr 27, 2003

And if thou gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will also gaze into thee
Goon Garret

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010
Are you having a goon house warming party and can I come please

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Yeah sure. Keep summer 2026 free

Salisbury Snape
May 26, 2014
While a grain platform can be used for corn, a specialized corn head is ordinarily used instead.

I love your optimism :allears:

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
"House brain"? Is this gonna be some sort of IoT-connected "smart" house?

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Yeah sure. Keep summer 2026 free

I can come this summer if my break room requirements are met

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad

PurpleXVI posted:

"House brain"? Is this gonna be some sort of IoT-connected "smart" house?

The house is fully controlled via the Tesla and vice-versa

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

Even picked the right year.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!
I am on a train to Edinburgh from Kings Cross station and somewhere outside of London, but before York I saw an L-Shaped House under construction and got excited for a second. However, it did not yet have a roof on it, just some wood framing, so I'm fairly certain it was not this L-Shaped House.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Jaded Burnout posted:

It’s the fact that it’s a Smart Roadster that gets me. The only thing better would be a full on Smart.

My 451 carries all my equestrian stuff (including a full length lunge whip) to and from the yard. It's genuinly suprising the amount you can get in them.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

MetaJew posted:

I am on a train to Edinburgh from Kings Cross station and somewhere outside of London, but before York I saw an L-Shaped House under construction and got excited for a second. However, it did not yet have a roof on it, just some wood framing, so I'm fairly certain it was not this L-Shaped House.

Oh it is, he's just not posted THAT update yet.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

House brain installed. House skull maybe?

Got this for cheap, unused from some company that went bankrupt which has got to be positive karma.

The BT fibre to the home will come straight into this cabinet, as will all the various data sensors and so on, and all the network cables I'll run round to every room. Then I'll get some things in here with flashing lights and whatnot. Going to be very cool. Well possibly somewhat warm as its going to be within the insulated envelope of the building. hmm I dunno will figure out cooling later.

BT gave me most of the bits for free to get the fibre to the house, so I've installed the final out of the ground and up the wall bits to the end of the house hidden away round the corner as they're kind of ugly where they have to run up thepretty brick plinth.

From here they'll dive under the timber cladding and run up to the garage ceiling, then across into the house through the cavity wall all in some plastic conduit that will carry on down my service triangle to the side of the loft then pop out into the server cabinet area. all stringed up so they can pull it through when they come. Lol I reckon this will be somewhat interesting.

Fire alarms! Decided to go with google ones because they are expensive and complicated. Building regs mean I need 4 of them I think, but I've just bought the one for now to see how they work and get fitted up. They also have a shelf life with the radioactive stuff in them so don't really want to buy them yet if its goign to take another 5 years to finish the house.

Yeah so need 4, 1 heat alarm above kitchen end of the big room, another at the other end to provide carbon monoxide fot the wood burner, then 2 more in the bedroom wing corridor to ensure there is an alarm within 3m of each bedroom door.

A mixed update here with a few different things going on so got my braising torch out to sort out the water connections to allow some plumbing to get run.

So we've got the mains water coming into the plant room. First the BIG TAP on 32mm plastic pipe, then reduce down to 22mm and into copper. A double check valve, then drain off point, before going to the main house manifold that splits cold water to the two wings of the house (underground to the living wing, in the loft to the bedroom wing) and a third to the hot water system to become the hot water.

Actually I redo this a bit to lose that annoying bit of plastic pipe between the incoming run and the manifold.

gently caress I just somehow deleted this whole post and a having to retype it all.

Ok rewritten all that and like most times I have to redo things on the house I think it was probably better the first time.

So here you can also see the hot pipe awaiting connection to the heat store, and in between the smaller warm return. er so heres the gist of the plumbing setup

Water comes into plant room, hot and cold manifolds, then splits to bathrooms in the bedroom wing where they get a manifold each for hot and cold. And to the utility that has already been run underground where all those manifolds will be hidden away behind/under the utility room sink. both hot runs have a warm return come back to the plant room that can be cycled round periodically to prevent water going cold in the long pipe runs. So they'll always be hot on tap. In theory.

Heres the manifolds in the ceiling above the en suite at the end of the bedroom wing. warm return comes back in the other triangle as I was getting annoyed with how tightly packed the hot, cold and return were getting.

This manifold will also feed the outdoor tap by the garage. which is handy as I want to use this to pour a concrete slab in the garage.

Drill through the wall.

Essentially the same setup as the fibre cable in. I made a little timber piece to mount the tap on, that will also match the battens to take the final timber cladding to finish nicely.

Run this in copper in the wall inside as the bends are much more compact to fit in the walls.

Also got the mixer units for the showers and bath. These will sit in the ceiling above the bathrooms meaning all you have to run down in the walls is a single pre mixed pipe to the taps/shower heads. I've installed showers before and this seems way better than the thermostatic valves I've had to bury in the walls before. The controls are some funky electric dials that run off a tiny cable run down the wall too. But also theyre smart and connected to the brain. It means eventually I will be able to run a bath or take a shower in the comfort of my own home from anywhere in the world.

But you do need access to them for when they inevitably go wrong. So I'll have an access panel in the loft to get at them. So ideally I want them fitted in one "bay" in the loft triangles. So I draw a sample rectangle on the floor and try to figure out how all the connections will work.

But its too hard. So I'll just split them across bays and have to reach a bit further through the access hatch.

Each unit also needs a fused 3A spur switch which again will be accessed through the hatch in the loft.

NotJustANumber99 fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Mar 28, 2023

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

NotJustANumber99 posted:

gently caress I just somehow deleted this whole post and a having to retype it all.

If you're typing a post, and then lose it, SA has a saved draft! You can close the reply window, open a new one (don't use the Quote button to start a post from a quote, I think you have to use the Reply button), and then use these clever buttons in the bottom right:

"Append" will put the saved draft into the text field!

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

e. lol doing this made me double-post

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal
Did Google ever fix that nest issue of them getting stuck active and neverending screaming?

deletebeepbeepbeep
Nov 12, 2008
Not afraid to admit that my brain can't even start to comprehend how all of this poo poo works. I'll stick to doing a bad job at painting and decorating.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

99, the server cabinet needs to be somewhere that is easy to access; putting it in the attic is going to be a complete ballache to do anything with.