Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Verdugo
Jan 5, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

BigHead posted:

I'm mostly pissed because I forgot my badge at home this morning, and there's nobody to hand out loaner badges. I couldn't even get in the front door to reach the desk where they used to give out loaners.

Oh my goodness. I have a similar problem at my job. We have electronic keycards, and the keycard system broke. And no ETA for repair. So what's the solution? Secretary sits at the front door to manually let folks in during a small timeframe in the mornings. If you want to get in at any other time, you need to have someone in the bulding go to the door and open it for you from the inside (because the electronic locks all work, we just can't open them). So during lunch every day people are constantly calling and paging others to come to the door and let them in.

Worst part is sitting in the parking lot at 0600 waiting for someone to open the front door so you can actually get work done. Leave the building at lunch or at the end of the day, and forget your phone or keys? Better hope someone is still in there because otherwise you're hosed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neco
Mar 13, 2005

listen

pumped up for school posted:

In the meantime I find an airport hotel to crash tonight. My office is already emailing me freaking out about another $150/night charge on a half-million budget. This bodes well for the next 2 weeks. I'm going back to bed.

Yeah same thinking about expenses here. Sometimes paying lunch for the team amounts to 5000€ a year? Oh no! This sounds like a big number, no I don‘t care that this team will bring in north of 2 million this year.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
We didn't have the total amount of eligible expenses on a $9,000+ grant that was given to us in 2020. Last month I had to rewrite the final funder report three times and had several phone calls to confirm if I could shuffle the books around the make it right. That didn't work, and eventually, I got so frustrated I told them they could have the money back. I then had to ask our bookkeeper to write out a check, track down two board members to sign it and mail it back to a fund administrator. The administrator then had to process the cheque and deal with the reimbursement to the funder. Probably wasted upwards of 8 hours of people's time when it was all said and done.

It was $0.99

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting

Outrail posted:

What was the news?

Nozzle for the reflow machine is gonna take a couple extra weeks from today and we've known for a week and nobody told me.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Samuel L. Hacksaw posted:

Nozzle for the reflow machine is gonna take a couple extra weeks from today and we've known for a week and nobody told me.

:toot:

Dr_0ctag0n
Apr 25, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!

Verdugo posted:

Oh my goodness. I have a similar problem at my job. We have electronic keycards, and the keycard system broke. And no ETA for repair. So what's the solution? Secretary sits at the front door to manually let folks in during a small timeframe in the mornings. If you want to get in at any other time, you need to have someone in the bulding go to the door and open it for you from the inside (because the electronic locks all work, we just can't open them). So during lunch every day people are constantly calling and paging others to come to the door and let them in.

Worst part is sitting in the parking lot at 0600 waiting for someone to open the front door so you can actually get work done. Leave the building at lunch or at the end of the day, and forget your phone or keys? Better hope someone is still in there because otherwise you're hosed.

You can probably stick a magnet on the door contact so it won't lock until it's fixed. Most of the mag locks come with a little 'key' for this.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

I once worked in a place that had magnetic door locks in the literal sense, in that the door was held shut by an electromagnet that turned off for 30 seconds or so when you punched the code into the keypad.

If you forgot the code or didn’t have the code or your hands were full or the keypad wasn’t working you could just stand an arm’s length away and then shoulder tackle the door, which would happily pop open while the keypad unit sounded a pathetically feeble alarm until you closed the door behind you.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Some of the doors around my undergrad dorms were like that, for fire escape reasons. You could just lean heavily on some of them and they'd pop open.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

These doors all controlled access to places people shouldn’t be going without the codes for the keypads :v:

That same workplace once got hit with a health and safety inspection and we had to do a routine straight out of a lovely sitcom of keeping the dude occupied in one place while we cleared hazards like completely blocked fire exit routes by juggling things between places he’d already checked.

It was an incredibly dumb workplace.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

Buddy forwarded a request from the maintenance department at his plant to forward my resume to HR.

Told me to expect a call from HR sometime soon.

Chewbecca
Feb 13, 2005

Just chillin' : )
At my job there is another person with exactly the same title as me. We both, among other things, staff a shared inbox.

Other teams will forward emails to this inbox addressed specifically to me, because I know how to do various work activities and this other person doesn't. Like they admit this openly.

I have been at this place since October last year and they have been here since 2020? Why the gently caress has 90% of the responsibility fallen into my lap?! GTFOH

Chewbecca
Feb 13, 2005

Also was announced this week at a team meeting we were expected to return to the office full time (currently 3 days in office, 2 days remote). You could feel the air being sucked out of the room lol

Time to find a new job I guess!!

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Chewbecca posted:

At my job there is another person with exactly the same title as me. We both, among other things, staff a shared inbox.

Other teams will forward emails to this inbox addressed specifically to me, because I know how to do various work activities and this other person doesn't. Like they admit this openly.

I have been at this place since October last year and they have been here since 2020? Why the gently caress has 90% of the responsibility fallen into my lap?! GTFOH

One of the dudes on my team asked in the Teams chat of all US techs at our level about a weird error he got from the software we use to deploy software. A bunch of techs who have worked for this company than we have immediately replied... With poo poo like "Wait, what is this application called?" "What are you using it for?" "I've never heard of this server."

Dudes. You're the ones who TOLD us this is how you deploy software, and we've somehow learned it better than the techs who have been there for years.

Apparently we're only like one of two tech teams in this company that actually can do their job - the other team is in another location that was part of our old company when we got bought. Surely a coincidence.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Our work from home policy is becoming increasingly easy to read what they really think about people. Juniors are required to follow a hybrid 3 day schedule, recommended Tue-Thur because management thinks they are literally children who won't stay on task at home. Seniors must live within the legally defensible commute-able distance to pretend they work at the office to continue justifying realizing profit at the office if not staying in the state to meet income tax headcount agreements with our state benefactors. Bingo bango so easy to keep everyone middlingly unhappy.

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

Resist the siren call of rhinocerosness

College Slice
Honestly WFH hurts juniors the most. All the spontaneous learning, random conversations with more experienced people, mentorship etc that would normally be very organic isn't happening.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

withoutclass posted:

Honestly WFH hurts juniors the most. All the spontaneous learning, random conversations with more experienced people, mentorship etc that would normally be very organic isn't happening.

OTJ is something that you can never replicate with WFH, see: my HR dude taking retirement/getting early retired at the beginning of COVID and my current HR person WFHing the entire time, doing poo poo like telling night shift to suck it up and come into work during an ice storm because it wasn't that bad, loving fine you can take 8 hours of PTO instead; being completely inaccessible; not doing her job as HR; getting super pissed when she had to come to the plant at 6AM to tell people they were getting laid off; etc.

The dude that retired had a degree in HR, the current one got a finance degree and was part of the training department when I got hired.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

MrQwerty posted:

OTJ is something that you can never replicate with WFH, see: my HR dude taking retirement/getting early retired at the beginning of COVID and my current HR person WFHing the entire time, doing poo poo like telling night shift to suck it up and come into work during an ice storm because it wasn't that bad, loving fine you can take 8 hours of PTO instead; being completely inaccessible; not doing her job as HR; getting super pissed when she had to come to the plant at 6AM to tell people they were getting laid off; etc.

The dude that retired had a degree in HR, the current one got a finance degree and was part of the training department when I got hired.

I feel like the fact she works from home isnt the main problem here tbh?

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

SiKboy posted:

I feel like the fact she works from home isnt the main problem here tbh?

HR at a 24/5 manufacturing plant being 1 person WFH is a problem from my experience.

She's also an rear end in a top hat, though.

Chewbecca
Feb 13, 2005

Incompetent people are gonna be incompetent, no matter the location.

I get more work done remotely due to lack of distractions, but the edict to return to work is rarely about productivity

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting
Lol, my Project Engineer said "you gotta say the word team more and specifically call out people that do good work" and sent me a few screenshots of a management training everyone gets.

He got passed over for my position b/c his supervisor and team lead didn't think he could lead a team.

Like yeah that's important, but not on a call with the customer.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

Chewbecca posted:

Incompetent people are gonna be incompetent, no matter the location.

I get more work done remotely due to lack of distractions, but the edict to return to work is rarely about productivity

and I'm not talking about computer touchers, I'm talking about the HR department of a manufacturing plant that ran 24/5 that was constantly full of people

like idk what the gently caress HR being permanent WFH is supposed to accomplish in that setting but it's not much, from my experience, and shouldn't happen

night shift can't get ahold of HR anyway, but all I ever heard from day shift is that she was impossible to contact and floor workers can't loving use goddamn zoom, realize that

MrQwerty fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Mar 3, 2023

Barudak
May 7, 2007

One of the departments Im supposed to plot to take over told me they're giving up on their responsibilities and giving them to me.

So uh, check on that task finished.

VileLL
Oct 3, 2015

went to a conference today lads

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

History Comes Inside! posted:

I once worked in a place that had magnetic door locks in the literal sense, in that the door was held shut by an electromagnet that turned off for 30 seconds or so when you punched the code into the keypad.

If you forgot the code or didn’t have the code or your hands were full or the keypad wasn’t working you could just stand an arm’s length away and then shoulder tackle the door, which would happily pop open while the keypad unit sounded a pathetically feeble alarm until you closed the door behind you.

My work end of trip facilities was this, except it was a sliding door so even easier to force open while the electromagnet is still powered.

Some kids broke in and stole my bike and a few others'. :smith:

DreadUnknown
Nov 4, 2020

Bird is the word.

VileLL posted:

went to a conference today lads

Was it at a cheesy Holiday Inn or a proper convention center?

VileLL
Oct 3, 2015

oh buddy

All zoom

side_burned
Nov 3, 2004

My mother is a fish.
I work tech support and our department recently added 'adherence' agents which basically means someone is going to slack you if I am on a call for more than a half hour (which is common) to ask if you need 'help'. The departments current leadership have made calls that have caused customer satisfaction score to drop to 40% and the answer for that has not been address the issues they have had with training off shored agents, no micromanagement that's their answer.

I am going to start working on getting a job at the state university in my county.

side_burned fucked around with this message at 05:39 on Mar 3, 2023

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

withoutclass posted:

I hate it and I fully agree.

Full blown computer toucher poo poo maybe not, but being part of a team who actually communicates during the day to day is so good for skills development.

The convenience cost of having to call people vs asking the person in the next cubicle for advice is real, and the cumulative impact of those interactions really does result in a more capable person.

E: by hate it, I mean I hate that I agree. Commuting sucks and dealing with a poo poo team sucks.

Outrail fucked around with this message at 06:17 on Mar 3, 2023

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

new hires don't have a chance to do well when we all work from home... i will give them that. our code base and QA is so loving archaic it takes employees who only job is to USE the software months to learn... in person, with a mentor who will help you at at any given minute because they are 2 feet away.

if your looking for bugs, you won't even know how it is supposed to function...

either its job security or we are going down hard in a year or two when they try to replace our homegrown software thats been customized and honed for over 15 years to some off the shelf solution that is actually usable by a new employee.

I don't know which side to bet on.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Barudak posted:

One of the departments Im supposed to plot to take over told me they're giving up on their responsibilities and giving them to me.

So uh, check on that task finished.

So, uh, are they just pinning the entire company on you one department at the time, so they can all retire and leave you holding the responsibility for whatever dirty secrets they're hiding?

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
There's been talk about a Return to Work for ages now, but recent rumors about my place forcing a return to work to make people leave.
There's a lot of old timers here, and if they resign in protest you don't have to pay them any redundancy.
And they can hire two new people for the same wages.

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

The regular rear end pale ale sold better than pretty much any beer and seemed to be popular across "demographics" or whatever. We sold out of it early last month.

This of course led to the obvious conclusion: try to shove a plain Berliner weisse with an optional flavored syrup shot down customers' throats in late February and delay production of a second batch of pale ale for a mid May release. Also, even when the Berliner weisse doesn't really sell that well, double down and stick another batch into the production schedule that'll be ready at the end of next month. As for trying to advertise or explain the pretty foreign concept of flavored syrups in sour beer? Why bother when you can make vague reference ls to it in a beer menu you forget to give customers half the time.

I don't think trying to sell Berliner weisse with syrups is a bad idea, but I think it'd work a lot better as a summer offering. Also, you have to "educate" people about it (for lack of a better word). Even if it sells this isn't the thing that'll make the brewery a success. But management is utterly convinced that this time their idea is going to work! After that we'll be on easy street!

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Computer viking posted:

So, uh, are they just pinning the entire company on you one department at the time, so they can all retire and leave you holding the responsibility for whatever dirty secrets they're hiding?

If they wanna pay me to be a patsy they know my rates

slurm
Jul 28, 2022

by Hand Knit

withoutclass posted:

I thought the data pointed in the other direction on this one especially given the equity issues with face to face for people who aren't tall handsome white men who went to Yale or whatever.

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

College Slice

Outrail posted:

I hate it and I fully agree.

Full blown computer toucher poo poo maybe not, but being part of a team who actually communicates during the day to day is so good for skills development.

The convenience cost of having to call people vs asking the person in the next cubicle for advice is real, and the cumulative impact of those interactions really does result in a more capable person.

E: by hate it, I mean I hate that I agree. Commuting sucks and dealing with a poo poo team sucks.

I'd say even full blown computer touchers are not immune. Learning how to work with people matters, and like it or not growing your career depends as much as, if not more, on your ability to relate and work with humans.

I just don't see a couple years of remote work and lockdown reversing our need to form and work in social groups.

To be clear I'm not advocating stupid policies like mandatory 5 or even 3 days per week, but I think there would be a lot of benefit to having teams decide on one or two days a week where they all agree to come in.

slurm posted:

I thought the data pointed in the other direction on this one especially given the equity issues with face to face for people who aren't tall handsome white men who went to Yale or whatever.

I haven't seen that data but I'd be interested to read about it.

pumped up for school
Nov 24, 2010

withoutclass posted:

I've been wfh long before covid, but I've been talking to a lot of clients about how they're adjusting.

One thing I hear a lot is that, for engineering consultants, the junior employees rely on face time with middle/senior staff for billable hours. Wfh they're more out of sight and out of mind until they're needed. I was embedded inside a client's office for a couple of years and it was a constant parade of Jr staff going door to door asking PMs if they had any billable work they could help with. What I'm hearing now is the digital version of that, where they just send out blast emails. Which are easier to overlook/ignore than someone in your face.

I have the opposite problem. When I give billable work to junior employees who are in the office and I wfh, they never complete a task. But they bill a shitload of hours.

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

College Slice

pumped up for school posted:

I have the opposite problem. When I give billable work to junior employees who are in the office and I wfh, they never complete a task. But they bill a shitload of hours.

I've been joking for awhile now that since I live at work, I now go to the office to have a lighter day instead of how I used to take a WFH day to take it easy. Now that I've said it here it's dawning on me why I've been feeling burned out for 2+ years.

slurm
Jul 28, 2022

by Hand Knit

withoutclass posted:

I haven't seen that data but I'd be interested to read about it.

I'm not really sure either but I've heard from angry computer touchers that it exists so maybe someone can find it

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.

withoutclass posted:

From HR postings and personal experience, nobody wants to do OTJ anyway. They want you to come in with 10 years experience in a technique that has only existed for 1 year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chewbecca
Feb 13, 2005

withoutclass posted:

I've been joking for awhile now that since I live at work, I now go to the office to have a lighter day instead of how I used to take a WFH day to take it easy. Now that I've said it here it's dawning on me why I've been feeling burned out for 2+ years.

I think this is true - some people wfh and are a powerhouse of productivity and some people wfh and take the piss. The issue then isn't to do with remote work as a concept, it's to do with management and accountability and workflows. The people who wfh and consistently gently caress around do so because they get away with it and nobody is holding them to it

And idiot poo poo like Time Doctor is not the solution lol