Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

put on Triangle of Sadness. kinda hate it so far

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

A MIRACLE posted:

Would you say it makes you grumpy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1GVuGmHzzCU

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
The Menu/Glass Onion/Triangle of Sadness triumvirate wasn't very good and it was no surprise that Triangle got Best Picture buzz nonsense just because it was the slightly more pretentious one directed by Ruben Östlund (I much preferred his movie The Square). Triangle contracts the farther I get from it rather than one of those films that sits with you after, like leaving the theater I was like "that was ok, i guess" and I'm lower on it now than ever. Of course I rolled my eyes at Tar (the most NPR donor movie ever) so, different strokes for different folks :shrug:

Punkin Spunkin fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Mar 3, 2023

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

I liked tar a lot better than this, which is just filling me with self loathing? for some reason

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

A MIRACLE posted:

I tolerated the first third, actively enjoyed the middle third, and just started browsing my phone for the last third. Triangle of Sadness needs some severe editing.

Like, say what you will about The Menu and Glass Onion, at least they were watchable.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
Tar seems like a pretentious bore. Sadly, Cate Blanchett is uniformly great and the director also directed Little Children so I'm going to have to watch it sooner or later.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Yeah I appreciated it mostly because of Blanchett's performance but it is really one of those situations where classical music and its references are a signifier or fetish for some people that indicates something is inherently "intellectual". It's a fine movie, it is well directed and I was interested in what Todd Field had done after all these years, overall kinda tedious.

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

AngryBooch posted:

I tolerated the first third, actively enjoyed the middle third, and just started browsing my phone for the last third. Triangle of Sadness needs some severe editing.

Like, say what you will about The Menu and Glass Onion, at least they were watchable.

I will not say that about rear end onion because it wasn’t

Edit: the autocorrect stays.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
Triangle of Sadness is...fine, it's fine

They clearly had Woody Harrelson for two days but I feel like they got their money's worth because the movie really peaks in the middle

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

Punkin Spunkin posted:

Yeah I appreciated it mostly because of Blanchett's performance but it is really one of those situations where classical music and its references are a signifier or fetish for some people that indicates something is inherently "intellectual". It's a fine movie, it is well directed and I was interested in what Todd Field had done after all these years, overall kinda tedious.

Or, just maybe, the movie frames it in a way that makes you question whether the people saying those things are intellectual or not?

I don’t know, I took tons of music classes etc. including learning to conduct through high school and college, but the opening scene of the interview with her just screams “this is pathetic intellectual-high-brow ‘we’re so much better than you commoners who don’t understand what we’re saying’” energy.
What they’re saying is all (or mostly) “right,” and they’re speaking about genuine musical opinions etc., but I can’t watch that long interview and think “this movie thinks the character talking about this is actually cool and good.” I was honestly waiting for the reveal that she was getting fed the talking points through an earpiece, the way she was speaking.

I had a ton of fun watching it through that lens, didn’t find it stuck up at all, just making fun of the self seriousness of high academia and arts, without degrading the art itself (the music).

GonSmithe fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Mar 3, 2023

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

thats how I saw it too ( I don't know jack poo poo about classical music )

it seemed to be poking fun at the new yorker readers and people who take themselves too seriously in general there

the movie kinda plays out like an easter egg hunt which made it fun to watch for me. but i did basically miss all the composer references

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010

Baron von Eevl posted:

What I've heard - from people who had been involved in Soviet bureaucracy themselves - was that the biggest mistake the show made was having bureaucrats threaten the scientists, or warn them about what would happen if they didn't get in line. You didn't have to make threats or explain it, everyone knew what would happen if you embarrassed the wrong person and everyone had to be very delicate in how they broached issues about things going very wrong.

This would be correct if the show were made to only be consumed by ex members of the soviet bureaucracy. It wasn't though, was it?

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

GonSmithe posted:

Or, just maybe, the movie frames it in a way that makes you question whether the people saying those things are intellectual or not?

I don’t know, I took tons of music classes etc. including learning to conduct through high school and college, but the opening scene of the interview with her just screams “this is pathetic intellectual-high-brow ‘we’re so much better than you commoners who don’t understand what we’re saying’” energy.
What they’re saying is all (or mostly) “right,” and they’re speaking about genuine musical opinions etc., but I can’t watch that long interview and think “this movie thinks the character talking about this is actually cool and good.” I was honestly waiting for the reveal that she was getting fed the talking points through an earpiece, the way she was speaking.
Yeah, sure, I got some of those vibes too, i don't think it lacked some self-awareness...it just didn't end up appealing to me overall

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

I thought the opening interview seemed pretty normal and realistic. Like they're a bit obnoxious but not in a way that was... particularly interesting or notable. And I thought it was pretty clear that despite all her awfulness Tar was being presented as very talented and having an impressive vision. If she's just a joke, I think that would be painting all the people who get swept up following her in an oddly insulting light.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
It's a pretty damning depiction of the system (and the people in it) that allow people like her to not only rise to the top but stay there. I also really appreciate how it shows you how people like that can maintain a kind of internal separation - she doesn't want to acknowledge that what she's doing is monstrous, so we get to see all the ways she hides it from herself. It also gives us some of the best moments in the movie where we witness her utter self-absorption. I particularly liked the bit where she's bothered by the chime noise, so she tries (and fails) to turn it into a piece of music, and we later find out that it was the noise from one of the medical devices with the dying upstairs neighbor, which is just so perfect - she doesn't give a poo poo about the dying person, but you can totally see her being like "there was this aggravating noise but I turned it into a sonata!". And then the relatives are like "please stop playing music it's really loving annoying". The movie shits on her a lot and it's great.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

I attempted to watch The Offer on Paramount+ (the show about the making of The Godfather), but I made it about 20 minutes while the first draft-tier dialogue just kept coming and coming. I am not even sure why this is a show and not a documentary.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Collateral posted:

This would be correct if the show were made to only be consumed by ex members of the soviet bureaucracy. It wasn't though, was it?

Why would having a different audience change how things worked at the tail end of the Soviet Union?

Deadite
Aug 30, 2003

A fat guy, a watermelon, and a stack of magazines?
Family.

Baron von Eevl posted:

Why would having a different audience change how things worked at the tail end of the Soviet Union?

I think they meant having a different audience would change how you show how things worked in the Soviet Union. Us Americans need the threats to be explicit, Russians would understand the implicit threats

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

but, uh... well, there it is

I liked Chernobyl but the last episode felt pretty unnecessary. The bit where Jared Harris breaks down the step by step process that led to the disaster is pretty good in an edutainment way but the show really didn't need a scene of him yelling about the failures of the system to the people overseeing the hearing. It was very perfunctory and the show got across it's themes just fine without it in the prior episodes.

Deadite
Aug 30, 2003

A fat guy, a watermelon, and a stack of magazines?
Family.
The new Party Down is good but it feels like Martin Starr was working around other commitments when they shot it. He kind of just disappears halfway through the latest episode.

Not as bad as season 4 of Arrested Development but something is going on.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Deadite posted:

I think they meant having a different audience would change how you show how things worked in the Soviet Union. Us Americans need the threats to be explicit, Russians would understand the implicit threats

Of course it's better story-telling that way, or at least more broadly accessible storytelling, but I was commenting only on it not being historically accurate.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

martin starr is one of the main characters in the tulsa king show, maybe he was doing that. he canonically plays the same character he did in silicon valley and lives as a bitcoin thief / weed storefront owner

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Flying Zamboni posted:

I liked Chernobyl but the last episode felt pretty unnecessary. The bit where Jared Harris breaks down the step by step process that led to the disaster is pretty good in an edutainment way but the show really didn't need a scene of him yelling about the failures of the system to the people overseeing the hearing. It was very perfunctory and the show got across it's themes just fine without it in the prior episodes.

Craig Mazin likes needless exposition. See: the opening of TLOU

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
I wanna thank whoever recommended I May Destroy You. Uhh as a man this is pretty eye opening stuff. It’s one thing to read about what sexual assault is like for a woman but it’s very different to see it play out over the course of a series. Currently halfway through.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

Martman posted:

I thought the opening interview seemed pretty normal and realistic. Like they're a bit obnoxious but not in a way that was... particularly interesting or notable. And I thought it was pretty clear that despite all her awfulness Tar was being presented as very talented and having an impressive vision. If she's just a joke, I think that would be painting all the people who get swept up following her in an oddly insulting light.

Like I said at the end of my post, the thing I liked the most is that the movie critiques her without critiquing the music. I would argue the she’s presented as “clearly talented” part, though. I don’t think it’s presented as cut-and-dry talented as you might, I personally think the movie goes out of its way to prove she is probably a good composer but propped up further than she should be.

She is a monster who thinks she can get away with whatever she wants because she is a high-brow elite and the people who enable her are more worried about going down in history as someone important in the music world than dealing with the horrible poo poo she is doing. The victims are of course not at fault here; if academia is propping her up and ignoring all of her transgressions, it’s not their fault for viewing her as such.

GonSmithe fucked around with this message at 13:50 on Mar 4, 2023

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
The Consultant is pretty fun if you enjoy Christoph Waltz being creepy.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

I can report that unsurprisingly, bringing most of the gang back for season 3 of Picard did nothing to improve the writing, which remains embarrassing. Raffi might also be one of the worst characters in TV history, and has yet to serve any purpose this season. Watching actors I know are good fight their way through terrible dialogue by overacting it is also painful.

Name Change fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Mar 5, 2023

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Name Change posted:

I can report that unsurprisingly, bringing most of the gang back for season 3 of Picard did nothing to improve the writing, which remains embarrassing. Raffi might also be one of the worst characters in TV history, and has yet to serve any purpose this season. Watching actors I know are good fight their way through terrible dialogue by overacting it is also painful.

The writing is garbo but it's WAY more watchable and entertaining than the last 2 seasons.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

I recently watched S1 of Fringe when I was seeking something X-Filesesque and it is that...if Mulder and Scully didn't have personalities and every case was some variation of "government did a bio weapon". The dad is pretty charming though! They also did that thing where the network cared so little about it they have the big season finale as the second to last episode and the final episode is just a random case. Does it get better? Does it find a voice? Do they have any episodes half as funny as the time Mulder finds a literal three-wishes-granting genie?

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

It's charming if you can get into it. See if you can spot the hidden observers!

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Wolfsheim posted:

They also did that thing where the network cared so little about it they have the big season finale as the second to last episode and the final episode is just a random case.

I don't recall this at all tbh. Which episode? Because it's definitely not the first season finale, that's got a big villain confrontation and everything.

There was a lot of funky poo poo throughout though -- Fringe was a show that had an awful lot of network interference, often for the worse. They write in a character that was meant to replace the lead, but then decide they don't want to do that and just drop the character very early into Season Two. There's an episode towards the end of Season Two that was originally meant to air super early on in the season, and its new context renders it completely inexplicable as a result. One finale is a complete hail mary plot that never gets resolved; the following season just acts like it never happened (though they reuse the concept for a different plotline later on in the show). One of the regulars talked somewhere about how she'd never do a show like it again because she felt so undeserved by the scripts. etc. etc. etc. Lots of dumb stuff, basically.

That said, there are some decent episodes throughout, though there's never really the string of quality standalones equivalent to the stuff that The X-Files managed to regularly knock out (except... maybe early season three?). And I found that Anna Torv's performance as Olivia really grew on me. It's not a super complex show, but it's fun enough if you want to turn your brain off for a while.

Inspector Hound posted:

It's charming if you can get into it. See if you can spot the hidden observers!

Yeah, this, basically.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

Open Source Idiom posted:

I don't recall this at all tbh. Which episode? Because it's definitely not the first season finale, that's got a big villain confrontation and everything.

Maybe it's just an HBO streaming error, because there is a very clear build up to a big finale where Olivia ends up chilling in the World Trade Center with Leonard Nimoy and then immediately after that the actual final S1 episode is a case-of-the-week where an evil naval officer possesses a teenage girl. I just assumed they aired it out of order originally and HBO didn't care enough to 'fix' it :shrug:

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

It’s weird old network TV scheduling business. Fox ordered 21 episodes then only gave them 20 timeslots so they made one extra episode but didn’t air it during the first season. Then they aired it randomly halfway through the second season.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

smackfu posted:

It’s weird old network TV scheduling business. Fox ordered 21 episodes then only gave them 20 timeslots so they made one extra episode but didn’t air it during the first season. Then they aired it randomly halfway through the second season.

Googling for other shows screwed over by networks led me to TVTropes, as I should have expected. There were a lot of shows whose orders were messed up by network execs not noticing or caring that people were tuning in week after week to watch a show instead of like the old days where viewers happened to catch their favorite shows in when the stars aligned and they happened to be home. No one noticed continuity errors in Seinfeld, but when relationships regressed in character dramas, that was different. And then there was the unexpected stuff like episodes being shunted off to next season because a football game went overtime.

We should count ourselves lucky those episodes eventually aired. These days they'd be buried in a vault because showing them would mean paying the actors.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

The Chris Rock thing was allright, but the dude is clearly way past his prime. He hosed up his finale joke and had to backpedal and repeat half of it. Lots of repeating stuff throughout the whole thing tbh. Also content wise, it's just what you'd expect out of a grumpy dude in his late 50's.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

LifeLynx posted:

Googling for other shows screwed over by networks led me to TVTropes, as I should have expected. There were a lot of shows whose orders were messed up by network execs not noticing or caring that people were tuning in week after week to watch a show instead of like the old days where viewers happened to catch their favorite shows in when the stars aligned and they happened to be home. No one noticed continuity errors in Seinfeld, but when relationships regressed in character dramas, that was different. And then there was the unexpected stuff like episodes being shunted off to next season because a football game went overtime.

We should count ourselves lucky those episodes eventually aired. These days they'd be buried in a vault because showing them would mean paying the actors.

Yeah this mentality lasted a while even as more serialized forms took hold. I recall that the first season of Happy Endings and the entirety of Don't Trust the B in Apt. 23 both got hit by networks insisting they be aired out of order.

whos that broooown
Dec 10, 2009

2024 Comeback Poster of the Year

veni veni veni posted:

The Chris Rock thing was allright, but the dude is clearly way past his prime. He hosed up his finale joke and had to backpedal and repeat half of it. Lots of repeating stuff throughout the whole thing tbh. Also content wise, it's just what you'd expect out of a grumpy dude in his late 50's.

Did he say funny things about being slapped by another aging actor/comedian though?

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Why is Charlie immortal in Poker Face? It makes it way less interesting........

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
Show's honestly kinda hosed if she dies. It's like, about her.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

mcmagic posted:

Why is Charlie immortal in Poker Face? It makes it way less interesting........

TychoCelchuuu posted:

Show's honestly kinda hosed if she dies. It's like, about her.

Yeah obviously if she's gone the show doesn't exist but I agree that especially this week they went out of their way to repeatedly injure her in ways that would either kill her or leave her heavily injured. Like.... Multiple times this week