Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Where’s sexy gigan from and why does it exist

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

From the Gojiban puppet series that you can’t h on YouTube. There is also a sexy Biolante.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Where’s sexy gigan from and why does it exist

The 1972 film Godzilla vs Gigan, as a new villain for Godzilla to fight.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

hello people of earth. we are the cockroaches and we have brought our sexiest monster to destroy you. also the godzilla land gift shop is now open for all your souvenir needs. thank you and good night.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Does this make "normal" Gigan the goober on the lower right?

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
I guess this goes here? An upcoming Filipino live action/CGI TV series adaptation of the classic super robot anime Voltes V

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ux-MNKChlrs

E; Does retroactively turning it into live action make it a tokusatsu/sentai series even if it doesn't include suitmation? (I genuinely don't know)

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 13:33 on Jan 16, 2023

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

I AM READY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IN06AFa2jBA

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

https://twitter.com/mondonews/status/1622686609186385921?s=61&t=_deHXla2LpECD4tlt7PcaQ

No chance I get one but what if…

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Might have a good chance! Just be on the site 5 minutes before refreshing if you really want it.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Did you get it? Sold out.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

god I hate Mondo

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Space Monster Wangmagwi has a like 5 minute long sequence of a little kid crawling around in the monsters sinuses.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Vintersorg posted:

Did you get it? Sold out.

Missed it because I got a work call before I could finish the order.

Also kinda glad I did because shipping was like $26 what the gently caress, Mondo

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

This doesnt look anything like gamera!

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

mandatory lesbian posted:

This doesnt look anything like gamera!

That’s Gyaos

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

https://youtu.be/-XpJeDGh8No

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe

Schwarzwald posted:

I recently watched Shin Kamen Rider and Zeiram (both '92) after remembering Hakaider and wanting more in that style.

Shin Kamen Rider is a mess, and worse, dull. Shin Kazamatsuri is a medical guinea pig for research meant to combat disease (like, in general) and strengthen human constitution, but he's plagued by strange dreams where he watches a monster kill women. He comes to doubt not only his sanity but the good nature of his caretakers, which include his father and his girlfriend, Ai. Eventually he learns that Onizuka, one of the lead researchers, has been performing human/grasshopper genetic experiments on himself and Shin in hopes of creating a race to succeed humanity. The strange dreams Shin has had were him experiencing the researcher's spree kills through grasshopper telepathy (?).

This is all over-complicated by a secondary conflict between the mysterious organization funding the research and the CIA, who are bafflingly depicted as revolutionaries (?). On top of that, Shin's escape from the facility puts Ai in danger, as unbeknownst to her she's pregnant with Shin's half-grasshopper child (!), the fetus of which glows and rotates in space as sort of a vinyl model of 2001's Star Child (?!?!). There's also a killer robot because Shin needs someone else to fight after his obvious counterpart, Onizuka, is killed halfway through the movie.

The gross body horror tries its damnedest to save this film, but on top of everything else the pacing is too drat slow. There's maybe two 22 minute episodes worth of plot in Shin Kamen Rider, but it's stretched out over 90 minutes of film. It's just not goopy or weird enough to make up for the fact that nothing ever loving happens.

By contrast, Zeiram is loving fantastic. A space civilization's sentient bioweapon, Zeiram, escapes containment and flees to Earth. It's pursued by Iria and Bob, blue collar space bounty hunters trying to stay ahead on their debts. Their plans to isolate Zeiram in an adjacent dimension where they can capture it without alerting any Earthlings is confounded when two electrical engineers for the city stumble in trying to figure out who's stealing electricity. What proceeds is basically Alien vs Mario and Luigi.

It has some real gorgeous effects! Great creature designs, some great mattes, a lot of goop, several wack rear end crystal prisons, and some incredible step motion animation. On top of all that, it's just an enjoyable story, with Iria and Bob doing having to hustle to capture the monster, keep the earth dopes alive, and hopefully, hopefully, stay in the black after this poo poo's all over.

Track this one down.

Agree on both.

Has anyone seen Zeiram 2? I've heard it's pretty weak, and never bothered tracking it down.

On the other hand, the two standalone movies that followed Shin Kamen Rider are both fun. And under an hour each.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0QEbwNLQvqc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SBRplI_FXbQ

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I’ve now seen five Godzilla movies: 54, 14, Shin, GvK, and SOS. Of those, SOS is at the bottom and Shin just barely edges out 54 for the top.

I literally don’t remember SOS and only know I’ve seen it by checking my previous posts.

So far so good.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

e: they swapped edit and quote on mobile :(

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

e: gently caress!!!

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Also I think I know why I like 14’s roar the best. It roughly forms a perfect fourth between the beginning of the first half of the roar and the beginning of the second half.

https://youtu.be/tCYqxBZvXK0

Compare to 3:29:

https://youtu.be/LHa8kDsoTqM?t=3m29s

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)
Say what you will about the Legendary Godzilla films but they nailed his roar and general design. Smashed it

He looks like an enormous lizard-grizzly bear and he sounds like a (musical!) jet engine, it kicks rear end

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

^^ :yeah:

King of the Monsters had me until Russell’s villain monologue. This poo poo has its arm up a wild boar all the way to the elbow. :doh:

Honestly though it’s pretty good otherwise. Edit: oh no edit: oh boy

Hm. That was definitely a mixed bag, in my opinion. Lots of high highs, lots of low lows.

Any time a kaiju was on screen, the movie was perfect. Most times a human opened their mouth, it wasn’t. It was perfectly fine until about the 40% mark, like I can pinpoint the exact moment when the human plot lost its brain cells. The mid-late part of the movie is pretty dumb and paced like garbage. It’s actually kind of funny, cause the movie‘s at it worst during almost the exact timeframe when Godzilla’s knocked out, almost like he was keeping the movie good :v:

It picked way back up and left on a high note, at least. Great fights, awesome monsters, moronic plot, mediocre writing, and a really loving fun ending. Also holy poo poo what a score. I had a lot of fun picking out the themes and I’m gonna go listen to the soundtrack after this.

Also, not enough Mothra :mad:

Pollyanna fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Mar 4, 2023

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde
The kaiju kneeling/bowing to godzilla was a bit much

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

The best one was the MUTO, which Godzilla didn’t blast on sight this time for some reason.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Non Compos Mentis posted:

The kaiju kneeling/bowing to godzilla was a bit much

It was absurd, but it was Showa-era absurd, and that's alright by me

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I shouldn’t be too hard on KotM in retrospect, the human plot is about as sane and solid as most post-54 Showa movies I’ve seen. It definitely still works as a Godzilla movie.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

It still has the best Rodan commited
To screen but I agree that Mothra was kind of short changed.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Pollyanna posted:

I shouldn’t be too hard on KotM in retrospect, the human plot is about as sane and solid as most post-54 Showa movies I’ve seen. It definitely still works as a Godzilla movie.

GvK dials the insanity up 400%, for better or worse!

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

KotM takes itself too seriously for the cheese board it serves us. GvK knows what it is and absolutely revels in it and I love it for that.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

It’s why I both love the sequels and hate the sequels.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

It’s why I both love the sequels and hate the sequels.

Yeah. 2014 deserved...different.

I enjoy the sequels for what they are, but I would've liked to have seen more from Edwards. Or at least someone who kept that tone going

Edit I do feel like there's only so long you can stay relatively po-faced about a gargantuan nuclear powered lizard who fights other giant monsters, though

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I mean, they’re western covid-era big budget movies. I’m not expecting anything on the level of 54 or Shin, and that’s not what they’re trying to be either. I’m happy with them as themselves, even if they are inevitably flawed on some level.

It’s kind of hard to rank the Legendary movies, cause they’re so different it’s like apples to oranges.

Barry Foster posted:

Yeah. 2014 deserved...different.

I enjoy the sequels for what they are, but I would've liked to have seen more from Edwards. Or at least someone who kept that tone going

I do agree with this, though. They should have stayed the course instead of shuffling directors and writers like (coincidentally) the Star Wars sequels. Movie lines are always better when the same person is delivering the whole range.

Pollyanna fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Mar 4, 2023

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

The hate for 2014 was too harsh and the studio listened. However, still love the sequels very much. The whole thing is fun,

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Pollyanna posted:

I mean, they’re western covid-era big budget movies.

King of the Monsters came out in May 2019, it's not a COVID-era movie.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

2010+, you know what I mean. Time vortex.

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

CelticPredator posted:

The hate for 2014 was too harsh and the studio listened. However, still love the sequels very much. The whole thing is fun,

Listened and over-corrected.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

I’ll just remember G’14 and Kong Skull Island. The other two let me down so much. Especially #3.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

As dumb as GvK was, I found the kaiju scenes an improvement over KotM, and I'll take Saturday Morning Cartoon plots about going to the center of the Earth over shots of people standing in blue control rooms making quips any day. It felt more in line with something like Kong Lives, it's a guilty pleasure for me despite being pretty harsh when it came out.