Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

AnimeIsTrash posted:

The guys in yospos have been complaining that their students are using chatgpt to cheat on assignments. Lol

I like that fake Zizek quote about how students should let AI write the paper and teachers should let AI grade the papers and then they'll all be free.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

AnimeIsTrash posted:

The guys in yospos have been complaining that their students are using chatgpt to cheat on assignments. Lol

lol im jealous. i cheated on every language course by takin em during covid. google camera translate+DeepL ftw

pogi
Jun 11, 2014

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

to cope with his existential ennui from earning too much money from so little work

he should pay into my union’s strike fund for when we strike later this year and then do it for other unions as well

OR

buy me a ferrari. im cool w/either

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005
matt is definitely right, the answer is to raze to the loving ground all non-government run universities after seizing their endowments

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Shipon posted:

matt is definitely right, the answer is to raze to the loving ground all non-government run universities after seizing their endowments

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Shipon posted:

Wrong. They should increase taxes on non-whites to contribute to their endowments.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

no meds = f4

Frosted Flake posted:

Its academic writing is trash I don’t know how you wouldn’t spot it

not exactly academic but i read undergrad papers and brotha, i gotta tell ya, some of these things are dire. we have failed our children lol

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Smythe posted:

not exactly academic but i read undergrad papers and brotha, i gotta tell ya, some of these things are dire. we have failed our children lol

i used to think my community college eng1a/1b teachers circa 2006 were all a bitch but after later learning what they had to read everyday for decades, well..... rip

pogi
Jun 11, 2014

i had a small gig editing people’s med school/nursing school/etc. personal essays and it was… very discouraging. like im not expecting art from a premed student but some of it was incoherent

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

pogi posted:

i had a small gig editing people’s med school/nursing school/etc. personal essays and it was… very discouraging. like im not expecting art from a premed student but some of it was incoherent
i used to tutor chemistry, mostly pre-meds, and one of the funniest ones was this nursing-student chick who was like "i don't care about learning the difference between an acid and a base, can you just give me the answer" after trying to explain hydrogen ions :whitewater:

and no i did not get laid because i'm a printer goon

pogi
Jun 11, 2014

Xaris posted:

i used to tutor chemistry, mostly pre-meds, and one of the funniest ones was this nursing-student chick who was like "i don't care about learning the difference between an acid and a base, can you just give me the answer" after trying to explain hydrogen ions :whitewater:

and no i did not get laid because i'm a printer goon

this has caused me 9999 psychic damage, a nurse should at least know what bicarbonate is. what the gently caress lol

working in the medical field has taught me that someone with specialized knowledge isn’t necessarily a curious or otherwise well-informed person, and often isn’t even particularly intelligent. it has also taught me that most doctors are landlords and that many nurses dream of becoming landlords lmao

pogi
Jun 11, 2014

most PAs Ive met are pretty chill tho. that could just be personal experience, but also by design PAs have to have worked poo poo jobs in healthcare for a long time (you can have been a nurse but that’s kinda rare, not much incentive going PA when you could be a CRNA, nurse practicioner, etc.)

pogi has issued a correction as of 09:32 on Mar 4, 2023

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

pogi posted:

this has caused me 9999 psychic damage, a nurse should at least know what bicarbonate is. what the gently caress lol

working in the medical field has taught me that someone with specialized knowledge isn’t necessarily a curious or otherwise well-informed person, and often isn’t even particularly intelligent. it has also taught me that most doctors are landlords and that many nurses dream of becoming landlords lmao

medical doctors, after all, are basically just mechanics for the human body who have a lot of certification to go through

Ash Crimson
Apr 4, 2010

Frosted Flake posted:

I'd rather have Bari Weiss and Jesse Singal on than subject anyone to that.

Both repulsive nerds with a strange obsession over trans people

Dmitri-9
Nov 30, 2004

There's something really sexy about Scrooge McDuck. I love Uncle Scrooge.

Shipon posted:

medical doctors, after all, are basically just mechanics for the human body who have a lot of certification to go through

I've never needed surgery before so doctors are just test and pill gatekeepers to me.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

https://twitter.com/byyourlogic/status/1631834555824103424?s=46&t=K6CRMiA33aFQep_ZPx64DQ

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

no meds = f4

lol

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)

Yep, egg is cracking

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

tokin opposition posted:

Yep, egg is cracking

thats heroin withdrawal

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Shipon posted:

mechanics that had to get an engineering degree first

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

hobbesmaster posted:

mechanics that had to get an engineering degree first

have you ever talked to a med student. stupidest fuckers around, second to goons and podcasters

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

tokin opposition posted:

have you ever talked to a med student. stupidest fuckers around, second to goons and podcasters

have you ever talked to an engineering student

Ansar Santa
Jul 12, 2012

I know a lot of goons don't get out much, but the junkie voice is really distinctive. felix is obviously on fent

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

i sold it to him

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
https://twitter.com/stakslk/status/1630739630978125830

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

tokin opposition posted:

the bane of every chemistry student, dealing with premeds who hated the subject and just wanted to memorize their way through everything

Popy
Feb 19, 2008

i get it Chem was the only class i fell asleep in. Out all the BS classes they make you take Chem is up there as the most pointless.

one day in a real life setting ill have to bust out my college level chem knowledge

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Popy posted:

i get it Chem was the only class i fell asleep in. Out all the BS classes they make you take Chem is up there as the most pointless.

one day in a real life setting ill have to bust out my college level chem knowledge
there's a lot that probably isn't relevant but understanding ph, acids, bases, SI units, volumetric/concentration/density background, basic lewis covalent bonding and molecular theory, difference of oils vs water, volatile compounds, what is a gas vs solid vs liquid, what different elements can mean and what they do, some basic o-chem is important baseline information that everyone should know for something back of the brain.

yeah sure you arent going to be doing pv=nrt or phase-diagrams or chemical kinematics problems or whatever or having to memorize the number of protons in titanium

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

i took basic chem as a science for my history degree and it was the only class i failed in college. chapter one started off with the light spectrum and i was so lost. got like a 15 on the first test but it was too late to q-drop so i just quit going

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

Popy posted:

schools out there trying to give people the literal secrets of the universe but it’s “boring” “lame” and “gay”

slave to my cravings
Mar 1, 2007

Got my mind on doritos and doritos on my mind.
that’s right

pogi
Jun 11, 2014

Xaris posted:

there's a lot that probably isn't relevant but understanding ph, acids, bases, SI units, volumetric/concentration/density background, basic lewis covalent bonding and molecular theory, difference of oils vs water, volatile compounds, what is a gas vs solid vs liquid, what different elements can mean and what they do, some basic o-chem is important baseline information that everyone should know for something back of the brain.

yeah sure you arent going to be doing pv=nrt or phase-diagrams or chemical kinematics problems or whatever or having to memorize the number of protons in titanium

i kind of wish schools, at the very least secondary education, wouldn’t focus on technical stuff quite as much (although you do have to practice to master your understanding) and focused instead on the broad ideas a bit more. you don’t have to be a genius to get an intuitive sense of what’s going on with calculus. you don’t have to do a million pv=nrt problems to figure out that as temp goes up, particles move faster, which increases pressure, etc. etc. Learning about why the natural world works the way it does is worthwhile imo, even if you will never ever ever ever compute an integral outside of class

same goes for reading, steal from the soviets and have children reading tolstoy by age 10 or w/e imo

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

pogi posted:

i kind of wish schools, at the very least secondary education, wouldn’t focus on technical stuff quite as much (although you do have to practice to master your understanding) and focused instead on the broad ideas a bit more. you don’t have to be a genius to get an intuitive sense of what’s going on with calculus. you don’t have to do a million pv=nrt problems to figure out that as temp goes up, particles move faster, which increases pressure, etc. etc. Learning about why the natural world works the way it does is worthwhile imo, even if you will never ever ever ever compute an integral outside of class

same goes for reading, steal from the soviets and have children reading tolstoy by age 10 or w/e imo

you're just describing a good teacher

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

chidlren should stfu, im glad theyre bringing back child labor

mfs have had it too good for too long

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

Best Friends posted:

schools out there trying to give people the literal secrets of the universe but it’s “boring” “lame” and “gay”

the universe is gay op

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

idk why right wingers hate higher education so much, it primes you for work in the empire

there is nothing that solidifies your belief and commitment to the system as graduating from an ivy league institution

pogi
Jun 11, 2014

Hooplah posted:

you're just describing a good teacher

true. pay teachers 6 figgies imo

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

pogi posted:

true. pay teachers 6 figgies imo

lol they keep trying to entice public school teachers to dump their unions by telling them that "top performers" could earn six figgies and the teachers just lol because they actually have an education

pogi
Jun 11, 2014

Zeroisanumber posted:

lol they keep trying to entice public school teachers to dump their unions by telling them that "top performers" could earn six figgies and the teachers just lol because they actually have an education

oh my god do they really. how do they even calculate what a “top performer” is

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

AnimeIsTrash posted:

idk why right wingers hate higher education so much, it primes you for work in the empire

there is nothing that solidifies your belief and commitment to the system as graduating from an ivy league institution

Right wing nobodies do not actually understand what capitalism is or how it maintains itself