Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

GimmickMan posted:

Way back in the Try thread there was a discussion about whether the GM Cardigan was female-coded or not (because cardigans are seen as clothing for women I believe) and this sounds like the right moment to bring that up again.

The GM Cardigan was a cooler suit than Winning, and is symbolic of how Try devolved from what could have been an interesting show about Fumina to the flavorless gruel of the Sekai Show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Men wearing cardigans makes you look pretty pretentious if you can't pull it off. Or like an rear end in a top hat who was on the rowing team.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Warmachine posted:

The GM Cardigan was a cooler suit than Winning, and is symbolic of how Try devolved from what could have been an interesting show about Fumina to the flavorless gruel of the Sekai Show.

The Cardigan was very cool but the Cardigan -> Winning -> Star Winning progression illustrates Fumina’s character arc really well and is one of the strongest arguments why the show should have been about Fumina.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Zedd posted:

I count the Sinanju as a female MS, because it's like a Ferrari in MS form.

would transitioning have saved full frontal

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

DID NOT VOTE FOR FETTERMAN

Gripweed posted:

It’s fine and normal for men to wear cardigans.

What is this 2008?

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

GimmickMan posted:

Way back in the Try thread there was a discussion about whether the GM Cardigan was female-coded or not (because cardigans are seen as clothing for women I believe) and this sounds like the right moment to bring that up again.
Am I missing something in translation but isn't a Cardigan just a (knitted/weaved) vest? Seems unisex to me.

Which doesn't agree or disagree with your argument mind you, Fumina was able to be both a feminine and tough (show execution of that aside).

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

If it's not in a camo pattern it's not very masculine

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Zedd posted:

Am I missing something in translation but isn't a Cardigan just a (knitted/weaved) vest? Seems unisex to me.

Which doesn't agree or disagree with your argument mind you, Fumina was able to be both a feminine and tough (show execution of that aside).

The most famous cardigan wearer is Fred Rogers, minister, author, and famous fan of George Romero's Dawn of the Dead. So, yeah. Perfectly manly outfit.

Meanwhile, if we're looking for feminine Mobile Suits, there's the Portent, and the Hyakuren has hips like a Pixar mom.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Are we counting EL-Diver dolls? Or is that too easy?

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
I'm pretty sure "cardigan = feminine" is a thing in Japan. It's absolutely not a thing in America.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Kanos posted:

I'm pretty sure "cardigan = feminine" is a thing in Japan. It's absolutely not a thing in America.

The rare western fashion win.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Kanos posted:

a google image search for カーディガン brings up like 80% pictures of women. But there are plenty of pictures of extremely cool looking guys.

Well, they actually look quite warm because they're wearing cardigans, but you know what I mean.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

Omnicrom posted:

Are we counting EL-Diver dolls? Or is that too easy?

"Coded" implies at least a little plausible deniability.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

wdarkk posted:

That throws Nobell out then.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

wdarkk posted:

I think the real issue is that they aren't Mobile Suits.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Gaius Marius posted:

Barbatos is more animalistic or demonic than it is Masc. or Feminine. It's proportions are too skewed by the time it's Lupus Rexed to ascribe any human qualities onto it.

I think you can argue that its proportions are distorted in exaggeratedly masculine ways. It's the Incredible Hulk as a Gundam.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

https://twitter.com/TrafalgarLog/status/1631880231173648385?s=20

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
Gundam is a massive blindspot for me so I watched Char's Counterattack recently* and really dug it and am making my way through Gundam '79 which is also real good so far. If I like these specifically what other Gundam stuff is good? The only other one I ever saw was Wing when it was on Cartoon Network a million years go and I remember not being into it.**

I didn't realize there were so many novels around, are any of those released in English or with decent fan translations?

Also holy crap, seeing this now I completely 100% understand why folks' only takeaway could be "cool robot". I didn't really appreciate why Gundam models are like their own separate area of model stuff from other mech stuff til now.

*Awhile ago I saw it recommended on the basis of just being a good standalone sci-fi action flick. Being ignorant of Gundam stuff and seeing it I agree but the second half definitely felt like it would have benefited from being more familiar with these folks lol

**The Wing SNES game is super hype though, fuckin' owns

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Mar 4, 2023

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Zeta fills the interstice between 0079 and CCA, if you're curious about what happened between those two. Beyond that the thread will recommend literally every Gundam show to you over the next three pages. :v:

There's an official translation of Tomino's original Gundam novels but beyond that it's all fan stuff of uneven quality. Several manga have official translations too.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Midjack posted:

Beyond that the thread will recommend literally every Gundam show to you over the next three pages. :v:

Yup

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

MSG>Zeta>ZZ will fully explain the context of CCA in terms of the world and the newtype philosophy. Zeta is undeniably good, imagine MSG but darker and greyer in morality. ZZ is goofier and most of it doesn't work for me, but a lot of kids been turning their minds around on it recently.

F91 looks even better than CCA, but is an incredibly incomprehensible story if you aren't grounded in Gundaminian thought.

Victory>Greco>Turn A can be considered the second Gundam trilogy from Tomino in the UC, and like MSG to CCA deals with the same themes in increasingly morphetic ways. The parts are even more disparate than the previous trilogy.

Outside of that you get spinoffs and OVA's. 0080 is a really good sidestory stuck in the middle of the OYW, 08th MS Team is a gorgeous mess of a side story in the same period. 0083 is the best that Gundam has ever looked paired with an incredibly poor and unnecessary story that fills the gaps between MSG and Zeta in the most moronic way possible.

Hathaway only has one of three movies out so far, big License to Kill vibes.

Basically, almost all gundam is good, with some of it being Great. It's easier to say what one should avoid unless they really get into the franchise for franchise sake. Those are AGE, SEED Destiny, IGLOO, G Saviour, and all the Gundam Build series after the first.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Gaius Marius posted:

MSG>Zeta>ZZ will fully explain the context of CCA in terms of the world and the newtype philosophy. Zeta is undeniably good, imagine MSG but darker and greyer in morality. ZZ is goofier and most of it doesn't work for me, but a lot of kids been turning their minds around on it recently.

F91 looks even better than CCA, but is an incredibly incomprehensible story if you aren't grounded in Gundaminian thought.

Victory>Greco>Turn A can be considered the second Gundam trilogy from Tomino in the UC, and like MSG to CCA deals with the same themes in increasingly morphetic ways. The parts are even more disparate than the previous trilogy.

Outside of that you get spinoffs and OVA's. 0080 is a really good sidestory stuck in the middle of the OYW, 08th MS Team is a gorgeous mess of a side story in the same period. 0083 is the best that Gundam has ever looked paired with an incredibly poor and unnecessary story that fills the gaps between MSG and Zeta in the most moronic way possible.

Hathaway only has one of three movies out so far, big License to Kill vibes.

Basically, almost all gundam is good, with some of it being Great. It's easier to say what one should avoid unless they really get into the franchise for franchise sake. Those are AGE, SEED Destiny, IGLOO, G Saviour, and all the Gundam Build series after the first.

Build Divers Re Rise is really good.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

I object to that remark.

It usually takes at least four pages before someone actively recommends Doozy Bots. (To be clear, this is not a recommendation for Doozy Bots. Just the opposite, really.)

More positively, a lot depends on what you like about Gundam. Different shows focus on different aspects, and someone who's into, say, the Newtype aspects might get more from 00's second season or Unicorn (depending on the angle of Newtype stuff they liked) than from the other UC OVAs.

I agree with the recommendation for War in the Pocket, and Zeta (although weaker than the original) is worth seeing assuming you've got the energy for 50 episodes with a lot of ups and downs. If you want something very different, there's G, which is basically full on over-the-top wuxia mech drama (with some comedy arising from how seriously everyone takes things, even at their most ridiculous).

The current show is Witch From Mercury, which is having a break between seasons right now, making it easy to catch up with. I've got a lot of issues with it (absurdly limited worldbuilding, characters acting based on what's dramatic rather than what makes sense with the setting, delaying reveals until long after the viewer has guessed them, slice-of-life sections that don't do much to build up character relationships, arcs that progress in huge jumps rather than steadily) but it's good at landing big moments, and there are people who like it a lot more than I do.

One of my favorites is Iron Blooded Orphans, the main AU before Witch. It's one of the most grounded Gundam shows in some ways, with no proper Newtype analogue in focus, and combat based around melee and bullets instead of beams. Sure, people fly across the solar system in ships with infinite power generators, communicating by quantum entangled FTL channels, but they're still peeling potatoes in the kitchen to feed the ex-slaves and child soldiers who are putting up graffiti all over the main bridge.

It's also got the best Garma clone in the series. Definitely goes dark in places, but it usually knows how to play that casual in a way that makes it feel natural for the setting, rather than falling into teenage edginess.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

What is there of Doozy Bots to even recommend lol

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

There's a promo. And it's must watch before you see the apex of all Gundam. SD Gundam Force.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e8um1N78AhY

Gaius Marius fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Mar 4, 2023

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
The name is fun to say.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Gripweed posted:

Build Divers Re Rise is really good.

Specifically on Build:

Watch: Build Fighters, Build Divers Re:Rise
Skip: Build Fighters Try, Build Divers
Ask someone else because I haven't seen it: Gunpla Builders Beginning G (does this even count?)

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Warmachine posted:

Specifically on Build:

Watch: Build Fighters, Build Divers Re:Rise
Skip: Build Fighters Try, Build Divers
Ask someone else because I haven't seen it: Gunpla Builders Beginning G (does this even count?)

Builders Beginning G is barely anything. I’ve seen it and remember very little, other than the awesome giant purple zaku being defeated because in universe it’s just a bunch of pla plate and spikes poorly glued on top of a zaku.

The annoying thing about Divers is that having seen it really enhances Re Rise, but not near enough to make Divers worth watching.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Gripweed posted:

Builders Beginning G is barely anything. I’ve seen it and remember very little, other than the awesome giant purple zaku being defeated because in universe it’s just a bunch of pla plate and spikes poorly glued on top of a zaku.

The annoying thing about Divers is that having seen it really enhances Re Rise, but not near enough to make Divers worth watching.

I remember Beginning G having a really confusing backstory for the central Gunpla, contradicting its own points about build quality in a pretty short span, and having a non-ending of a final fight. Also, the guy on a horse.

It's not good, but not in a memorable way.

(SD Gundam World Heroes is one I remember actively hating. I might be the only person in this thread to have watched it week to week, and man. That is some bad Gundam.)

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
You have a higher pain tolerance than most for bad mecha shows.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

chiasaur11 posted:

(SD Gundam World Heroes is one I remember actively hating. I might be the only person in this thread to have watched it week to week, and man. That is some bad Gundam.)

How does its level of badness compare to Warrior at the Borderline?

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

wdarkk posted:

How does its level of badness compare to Warrior at the Borderline?

Worse.

Kyoukai Senki has one good episode, features a few decent fights using good old 2D mech combat, and the mech designs are often solid.

SD World Heroes has similarly bad writing, terrible jokes, CG combat, no good episodes, and spends the middle of the show just replaying the entire previous series. 5 whole episodes of that.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Gaius Marius posted:

There's a promo. And it's must watch before you see the apex of all Gundam. SD Gundam Force.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e8um1N78AhY

Doozy Bots is a fascinating look into the possibilities of what could have happened with Gundam in the West, a while ago I brainstormed up some ideas for a similar(though way less goofy and using the regular designs not the SD ones) take on the "obtain the rights to the mechanical designs from Gundam but not any of the existing media for it" concept Doozy Bots was built around, I'll have to see if I have any notes written down for it

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

I imagine there's a parallel world out there where Harmony Gold talked to 80's Sunrise and got Gundam for Robotech and that sure would be a fascinating world to look at in a way

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I feel like Bandai could be more forceful with "No, gently caress you, let us do the other ones"

TasogareNoKagi
Jul 11, 2013

SatoshiMiwa posted:

I imagine there's a parallel world out there where Harmony Gold talked to 80's Sunrise and got Gundam for Robotech and that sure would be a fascinating world to look at in a way

HG owning the US rights for the Zakus, you say?

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

TasogareNoKagi posted:

HG owning the US rights for the Zakus, you say?

Bandai would have kicked the poo poo out of them already.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Neo Rasa posted:

Gundam is a massive blindspot for me so I watched Char's Counterattack recently* and really dug it and am making my way through Gundam '79 which is also real good so far. If I like these specifically what other Gundam stuff is good?

0079->zeta->cca is what literally the rest of the franchise is built off of so throw a dart at a list of names really

i think thunderbolt and war in the pocket are good dipping your toes in must sees. after watching 0079->zeta->(optional ZZ)->CCA, unicorn and hathaway and good next picks as you've seen the timeline up to them. ibo and gwitch are both pretty good AUs as well. turn A is the high art show of gundam so you'll probably see recs for that coming up soon, it's good.

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

DID NOT VOTE FOR FETTERMAN

Gaius Marius posted:

G Saviour rocks it's a feature length C&C cutscenes

War and Pieces fucked around with this message at 13:49 on Mar 5, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

man, how many productions did those Starship Trooper helmets get used in?