Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Some thoughts on The Wandering Inn having gotten through 3/4 of Vol 1:
Ryoka is really getting on my nerves. I don't think she's necessarily badly written or anything, but she's extremely unlikable and we spend a lot of time in her head. I really hope she has a significant arc that is impactful with the story to make all the time we spend with her justified. I just got to where she just burned literally every bridge she had by picking a fight with every adventurer around her.

Erin now has like 2 factions (Gazi and the Gnolls) looking to take advantage of her now, and she has no idea. Pisces is also on the radar of Gazi like Erin is.

I really like Pisces even though he's obnoxious in a lot of ways, you can kind of feel like he really wants to be helpful and a good guy even if he's really smug and awkward about it. Now that Klbkch is dead he's probably my favorite supporting character. There's basically no way that the skeleton he gave Erin isn't worth like tens or hundreds of gold. It's so absurdly valuable it is incredible overkill for any tab he's got at her inn. He's doing her an enormous favor. She has no idea, but he's clearly worried about her safety and trying to protect her in his own way, but he can't help but still act smug or self-important while doing it heh.

I have a feeling Erin, despite not having any aptitude for magic, is going to display skills in miracles. That's been introduced but nothing done with it yet.

Finally, THE Necromancer has a name that certainly sounds like someone from Earth. Going to be shocked if he's not from our world. Ryoka didn't pick up on that at all oddly enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Nitrousoxide posted:

Some thoughts on The Wandering Inn having gotten through 3/4 of Vol 1:
Ryoka is really getting on my nerves. I don't think she's necessarily badly written or anything, but she's extremely unlikable and we spend a lot of time in her head. I really hope she has a significant arc that is impactful with the story to make all the time we spend with her justified. I just got to where she just burned literally every bridge she had by picking a fight with every adventurer around her.

Erin now has like 2 factions (Gazi and the Gnolls) looking to take advantage of her now, and she has no idea. Pisces is also on the radar of Gazi like Erin is.

I really like Pisces even though he's obnoxious in a lot of ways, you can kind of feel like he really wants to be helpful and a good guy even if he's really smug and awkward about it. Now that Klbkch is dead he's probably my favorite supporting character. There's basically no way that the skeleton he gave Erin isn't worth like tens or hundreds of gold. It's so absurdly valuable it is incredible overkill for any tab he's got at her inn. He's doing her an enormous favor. She has no idea, but he's clearly worried about her safety and trying to protect her in his own way, but he can't help but still act smug or self-important while doing it heh.

I have a feeling Erin, despite not having any aptitude for magic, is going to display skills in miracles. That's been introduced but nothing done with it yet.

Finally, THE Necromancer has a name that certainly sounds like someone from Earth. Going to be shocked if he's not from our world. Ryoka didn't pick up on that at all oddly enough.

Pretty much everyone feels that way about Ryoka at that point. She was one of the reasons for me dropping the series.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
ryoka goes from being an obnoxious fuckup to being a sympathetic fuckup.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God

LLSix posted:

Pretty much everyone feels that way about Ryoka at that point. She was one of the reasons for me dropping the series.

Yeah. Ryouka is probably a realistic depiction of how people are emotional and don't always make good decisions, and I'm sure some people love that. But as a rule if I'm mentally screaming at a protagonist for making bad decisions I'm going to be dropping the story in short order, and The Wandering Inn was no exception. I'll take my unrealistically levelheaded protagonists along with my unrealistic powers and unrealistic hero's journeys, thanks.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

She gets better and becomes one of the more interesting viewpoints fairly soon after the parts where she's a huge drag.

Relatively speaking anyways, we are talking about the longest single written work in human history after all.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Bremen posted:

Yeah. Ryouka is probably a realistic depiction of how people are emotional and don't always make good decisions, and I'm sure some people love that. But as a rule if I'm mentally screaming at a protagonist for making bad decisions I'm going to be dropping the story in short order, and The Wandering Inn was no exception. I'll take my unrealistically levelheaded protagonists along with my unrealistic powers and unrealistic hero's journeys, thanks.

Yeah, I don't really have an issue with how she's written. I absolutely find her obnoxious as of now, but so long as her arc is done well that's not an issue really.

What would really be a problem is if she's this incredibly obnoxious toxic rear end in a top hat who both never gets her comeuppance and never starts turning it around and becoming a better person. You have to choose one or the other if she's a major POV character. But this is vol 1. I'm willing to give her time to get fleshed out.

M. Night Skymall
Mar 22, 2012

Yeah, in just a few millions of words, Ryoka becomes one of my favorite viewpoints, and I'm pretty sure I skipped some of her chapters in volume 1, at least skimmed.

TWI's worth revisiting over time, I dropped it a few times and then I'd pick it back up and eventually caught up to it over years. Otoh, life's short and it's long as poo poo so definitely don't read millions of words of poo poo you don't want because it "totally gets good." It does get better as it goes though and the characters have more time to develop.

Silynt
Sep 21, 2009
Literally tonight Pirateaba has finished and posted their rewrite of volume one. In the post-chapter blog from the current Patreon chapter, they mention having rewritten Ryoka specifically to try to make her more believable.

Silynt fucked around with this message at 06:16 on Mar 5, 2023

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Silynt posted:

Literally tonight Pirateaba has finished and posted their rewrite of volume one. In the post-chapter blog from the current Patreon chapter, they mention having rewritten Ryoka specifically to try to make her more believable.

Huh that's neat, I'll have to give that a look.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
Notable changes to TWI v1, off the top of my head:

Chapter numbering now consistently increments instead of resetting to 0 when it's a different character's POV. (v2-4 are still using the 1.x convention for new characters, annoyingly)
Dragon interlude explaining why he didn't incinerate Erin
Drassi tries to befriend Erin when Erin first enters Liscor
Rags interlude
Erin segment where we see why it is she's been able to safely process blue juice
Ceria no longer wears a hat :v:
Ryoka--outwardly her actions are the same, but I would say she's written a lot better; at least, it's pretty clear this time around that the reader is not meant to think Ryoka's edgelord behavior is cool. She's also got a new adventure in the Bloodfields (and meets Ysara!) that gives her more character development. I believe this adventure also replaces the cringiest segment in the whole series, the part where Ryoka was speaking to herself in C pseudocode.

Argue fucked around with this message at 07:21 on Mar 5, 2023

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013

Argue posted:

Notable changes to TWI v1, off the top of my head:

Dragon interlude explaining why he didn't incinerate Erin

Well that explains something that did bother me back then (the distance between them as later revealed being way too far and difficult for a evening run)

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Well I finished Vol 1 (not the re-issued version) of The Wandering Inn.

In general, I really liked it. I'm glad to see the author was willing to kill the Horns crew. I thought there was going to be a deus ex machina that would come in and save the day, but thankfully nothing like that happened. Being willing to kill a character or two early on to establish there are stakes is important. Especially now that the Queen has resurrected my favorite ant boy Klbkch toward the end. I felt a bit bad for Ryouka come the end of the volume as she came around and had overcome both the magic forcing her to search for The Necromancer and her own mental bullshit to go back and apologize only to have them already dead. Having her actually suffer permanent consequences for her being an rear end in a top hat to people is significant and should hopefully give her an opportunity to grow (or I guess could be a seed to turn her into a villain).

Erin was sufficiently badass toward the end and the last stand of Knight and crew was touching. Though not to the extent that Klbkch's death earlier in the book was. I'd figured that the miracles introduced earlier in the book would have been paid off here at the end to resolve things, but I guess not. Though I think the author did a good job of bringing together all the things they'd set up throughout the book in the end. From the acid to Rags' magic training and even chess. Pisces continues to be great. Love that guy. He's my favorite supporting character still even though Klbkch is back. It's good to see that Erin whole chess thing paid off in the end in that it was (primarily) the relationships she developed and friends she's made that saved the day rather than her own personal combat capabilities as the “king” of the game.

I'm sure her skeleton grabbing that red orb will surely have no future consequences.

Nitrousoxide fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Mar 6, 2023

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Binged all 23 chapters of https://www.royalroad.com/fiction/63759/super-supportive-superhero-system-novel today. It hooked me good. I could not put it down. There have been exactly 0 super fights, but the characters are so engaging you hardly notice.

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

LLSix posted:

Binged all 23 chapters of https://www.royalroad.com/fiction/63759/super-supportive-superhero-system-novel today. It hooked me good. I could not put it down. There have been exactly 0 super fights, but the characters are so engaging you hardly notice.

I like this one too, but agreed it is a sloooowww start. 23 chaps in and the MC technically just got a power. The world-building has me really anticipating what happens when things kick off, though.

AgentHaiTo
Feb 7, 2003

Well, isn't this a coincidence? So, um, how you doing? You're busy, I know and I don't want to distract you, please, don't let me interrupt you.
Wow, gonna have to reread Volume 1 of The Wandering Inn then. I had just finished the Kindle books recently. Are the books very different from the web novel? I know they were more professionally edited, but the content is or was(now that Vol 1 is re-written), the same from what I was aware. I may be wrong on that, as I just assumed it was mostly the same.

And yes, I really disliked Ryoka early on. She was like reading a train wreck in slow motion, but I am mostly ok with her now. My least favorite character is the King of Destruction though. He's like a big baby with tons of power. I know that's who he is, but it's not fun to read about.

Sibling of TB
Aug 4, 2007
Sounds like they're working on patching the existing ebook with the new version.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

AgentHaiTo posted:

Wow, gonna have to reread Volume 1 of The Wandering Inn then. I had just finished the Kindle books recently. Are the books very different from the web novel? I know they were more professionally edited, but the content is or was(now that Vol 1 is re-written), the same from what I was aware. I may be wrong on that, as I just assumed it was mostly the same.

The Kindle and Audible versions of v1 are being updated eventually, but haven't been yet. Volume 2 and onwards are only going to be receiving professional copyedits, not professional edits--so, continuity/measurement errors, typos, that kind of thing. This has not been done yet, so the Kindle books you've read are largely identical to what you'll find on the website. The only gotcha is that the volumes on the website are divided into smaller books for Kindle/Audible for the sanity of the audio narrator, so book 4 is not the same as volume 4. If you're done with the current Kindle release, the chapter to pick up from is 5.45.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Having started volume 2 of The Wandering Inn:

Ryoka is already like 100x better, though it could be just her proximity to Erin's "good vibes" field doing that. I guess we'll see if that changes when/if they separate.
Not sure why Gazi felt the need to take on half the watch and make Erin hate her when she could have just waited for her to go back to her inn and snatched her up there easily.
Least she lost an eye for that dumbass move.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Ryoka will continue to slowly get better over the series, but I don't think until you get to Book 4 or 5 that she becomes a good character. People used to go 'ugh, a ryoka chapter' for many years.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

I'm hoping for a Nyneve (from the Wheel of Time) transformation where she goes from the most obnoxious character to one of the best characters over the story.

Erin is such an innocent angel so far though so it'd be hard to beat that gem.

Silynt
Sep 21, 2009
One thing about Ryoka’s character and place in the story that’s easy to forget in retrospect is that she was so poorly received both in fiction and by the readers that she was written out of the story from chapter 4.31 through 6.00, almost almost a full year in real time. Her personality on return was much chiller. It was a good break for the audience and gave her some narrative space for offscreen growth, ultimately a very good thing.

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

LLSix posted:

Thank you for recommending this. It's easily one of my favorites at the moment, next to Player Manager and Outcast in Another World.

Enzer
Oct 17, 2008
I got up to being 9 chapters from finishing volume 7 of TWI, stopping at chapter Solstice Pt. 1 and have not had the will in over six months to pick the story back up. The author's writing style generally has rubbed me the wrong way from time to time, but ultimately volume 7 was just so... frustrating to get through, Ryoka being chased by what felt like half the northern continent to deliver a cure with nonsense after nonsense situation happening including a hurricane teleporting across the world on top of her and then the author doing a rug pull on the awaited interaction between Niers and Erin by having a bird fly off with him where he is now lost on some mountains kinda sucked. But Erin just kinda... "dying" out of nowhere really did it for me and soured me badly on the book for how it was done plus the subsequent chapters where they put her on ice. .

I'm sure at some point I'll run out of backlog chapters on the many stories I read and I'll give it another go in hopes that it lives up to the hype, but today is not that day and the author for Eight came back from the abyss after being AWOL for something like two years with book 3 of their story.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
You only hate Ryoka because you haven't gotten to Flos yet.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Enzer posted:

I got up to being 9 chapters from finishing volume 7 of TWI, stopping at chapter Solstice Pt. 1 and have not had the will in over six months to pick the story back up. The author's writing style generally has rubbed me the wrong way from time to time, but ultimately volume 7 was just so... frustrating to get through, Ryoka being chased by what felt like half the northern continent to deliver a cure with nonsense after nonsense situation happening including a hurricane teleporting across the world on top of her and then the author doing a rug pull on the awaited interaction between Niers and Erin by having a bird fly off with him where he is now lost on some mountains kinda sucked. But Erin just kinda... "dying" out of nowhere really did it for me and soured me badly on the book for how it was done plus the subsequent chapters where they put her on ice. .

I'm sure at some point I'll run out of backlog chapters on the many stories I read and I'll give it another go in hopes that it lives up to the hype, but today is not that day and the author for Eight came back from the abyss after being AWOL for something like two years with book 3 of their story.

Probably the most depressing part of the story, and it drags hard. I understand.

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Flos isn't as interesting as the people following him.

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

Wow, Super Supportive is incredibly readable, I enjoy the prose, and the trickle of worldbuilding information is just so perfectly paced. I'll be following it for sure

Gladi
Oct 23, 2008

Grognan posted:

Flos isn't as interesting as the people following him.

Well, his skills do not work through writing and by this time in his story he is mostly made of being [King of Destruction].

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013
Yeah he has the issue of he's supposed to be super charismatic that the writing is not able to support

RBA-Wintrow
Nov 4, 2009

Clapping Larry
I was wondering where Azarinth Healer was going. Ilea is more or less an incanate god now. Between her Primordial Flesh skill, automatic healing and 2nd Tier Soul damage resistance she is literally unkillable. He soul can't be destroyed and as long as she has a soul she will heal back automatically, even from nothing.

Spoiler:
It ended.
I liked the story most when she was still low level. After she finished training on the undead in the north she became to powerful to have any tension i fights. I really like the worldbuilding though. We never did find out whats east across the ocean. Other than that pirate and some lizardfolk islands.

RBA-Wintrow
Nov 4, 2009

Clapping Larry

Bhodi posted:

You only hate Ryoka because you haven't gotten to Flos yet.

All my friends are telling me slavery is bad. Even the friend who used to be a slave.
But have you considered slavery is actually good? I enslave my enemies and sell them off all the time and it's making me rich! I just don't see a downside for me, Flos, greatest and wisest [King] ever!

BadMedic
Jul 22, 2007

I've never actually seen him heal anybody.
Pillbug
I never had a problem with Ryoka. She's an obnoxious shithead, but honestly she's the kind of obnoxious shithead I could have been if I never grew as a person and was raised in a less positive environment.
So I mostly felt a sad empathy for her, as she continued to make her life harder for herself by constantly being a dick.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
It was very funny when Ryoka murdered that old guy.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

tbf if it had worked that old guy would have been thanking her, and in fact he tried to do it to himself not long after

Kalas
Jul 27, 2007

RBA-Wintrow posted:

I was wondering where Azarinth Healer was going. Ilea is more or less an incanate god now. Between her Primordial Flesh skill, automatic healing and 2nd Tier Soul damage resistance she is literally unkillable. He soul can't be destroyed and as long as she has a soul she will heal back automatically, even from nothing.

Spoiler:
It ended.
I liked the story most when she was still low level. After she finished training on the undead in the north she became to powerful to have any tension i fights. I really like the worldbuilding though. We never did find out whats east across the ocean. Other than that pirate and some lizardfolk islands.

I loved most of Azarinth but yes, she snowballed on the powercreep to the point where she was too hard to kill. I do like that the author realized it was time to wrap things up and made sure to do it in a way that Ilea needed a lot of help. It was pretty much Avengers Assemble time.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

For The Wandering Inn:
Okay, I got to the second trip to the dragon by Ryoka in vol 2. I started to wonder how the hell Erin teleported to him on her arrival here and managed to not die immediately in the passes and stumble upon the inn. Reading a part of the redone Vol 1 (no way I'm going to re-read that whole thing) and it seems like he was right by the inn and just got spooked by her arrival and teleported off to the passes.

That makes way more sense.

Also, Erin's inn looks to have earned its name now that it's “wandered” around the flood lands after getting blown up and rebuilt

I'm wondering if I should make a thread for this series. I don't want to clutter up this thread with my thoughts as I read.

Edit: Also I'm sensing a pattern with the Ship of Theseus references in this vol with both the yarn girl and now her rebuilt inn. I wonder if that will be a theme for this vol.

I really like that alchemist. She's such a unique and novel kind of non-human that you don't really see in fantasy.

Nitrousoxide fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Mar 7, 2023

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug
just clutter, its fine

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

This thread is at its best when one or more people are excitedly talking at length about what they are enjoying (or not) about the thing they're currently reading, imo. So don't feel like you need to stop!

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Whew this uh... mating chapter (The Wandering Inn Vol 2) is something else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

LLSix posted:

This is very good. I like the pacing a lot and the "word chain" concept is pretty neat.

Edit: While I'm not a fan of "systems" with stats and stuff, this story at least seems to be taking a unique angle to it. The only aspect that I have a feeling will be kind of unbelievable is that the protagonist is absolutely going to find some novel applications of skills that people really should have figured out by now (like the luggage one, which can probably be used to hold a metaphysical concept like word-chain debt or something). The stuff with him getting a weird sense from sharing his blood with Gorgon is cool, though. That's a really good excuse for giving the protagonist a unique ability (and one that has interesting interactions with the setting).

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Mar 8, 2023