Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Why is it impossible to find diamond crystal sadly these days? No where by me send to have it anymore, if there a salt shortage or something? It's making me the wrong kind of salty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Yeah it's Amazon or nothing for me there :negative:

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Costco seems spotty, sometimes it’s there, sometimes it’s not

You couldn’t happen to have a Restaurant Depot or other wholesaler near you would you?

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Don't have a business, I thought you needed a license or something to shop there

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Carillon posted:

Don't have a business, I thought you needed a license or something to shop there

Restaurant Depot started letting the public shop there when COVID hit (restaurants stopped buying because they were closed and groceries were empty because of panic shoppers), they’ll give you a one day pass if you show them your drivers license

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Free to a good home: anyone in Los Angeles want the November/December issues of Martha Stewart Living from 1991-2008?

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!

Carillon posted:

Why is it impossible to find diamond crystal sadly these days? No where by me send to have it anymore, if there a salt shortage or something? It's making me the wrong kind of salty.

It looks like they're updating their branding, new box designs are going out. I think that's probably all it is.

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

I plan to live forever, of course, but barring that I'd settle for a couple thousand years. Even 500 would be pretty nice.
Today I marinated some salmon with soy sauce and peeled ginger, and then cooked it with coconut slices. The slices were surprisingly tasty, and my cats liked them too!

I got the juice out of the coconut and I think I'm going to make some fried coconut tofu this week.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
American cheese can now be called Gruyère

https://amp.theguardian.com/us-news/2023/mar/04/gruyere-describe-us-cheeses-court-rules

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Court rules “people have been doing the wrong for so long it is now right”, nice

Gruyère means any old cheese with holes, words don’t actually mean anything

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Adverse cheese-ssion

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Scientastic posted:

Court rules “people have been doing the wrong for so long it is now right”, nice

Gruyère means any old cheese with holes, words don’t actually mean anything

Literally, "You should have filed suit fifty years ago lol."

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?
How crazy would I be to try and roll out ravioli dough on Fri assuming a) I don't have a pasta machine and b) I'm not phenomenal with a rolling pin

mystes
May 31, 2006

I think trying to get dough thin enough for ravioli without a pasta machine would be pretty hard but maybe if you're way more patient than my you can somehow do it.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Guildenstern Mother posted:

How crazy would I be to try and roll out ravioli dough on Fri assuming a) I don't have a pasta machine and b) I'm not phenomenal with a rolling pin
If you want to make ravioli on Friday and you don't have a pasta machine I think the best approach would be to get a pasta machine before Friday.

A Marcato Atlas and a ravioli press (the metal frame kind, not an attachment) will run under a hundred bucks and they'll both last more or less forever. Like if that's out of your budget that's one thing. But if you're even remotely interested in noodle/pasta making in general it's a hell of a good investment.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Guildenstern Mother posted:

Crazy. Everyone knows Friday is the worst day for making pasta.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Rolling pin option: roll dough to ~1/8" thick by hand. Get something to create rails ~1/16" thick. Place on either side of your dough and roll with aplomb. Boom, consistent pasta!

Kebab skewers are great for this. They sell rubber bands that go on your roller to do the same thing, if you can get those in time. I think I prefer the stiffness of the skewers though.

Also the above assumes you have a consistent thickness rolling pin, some are tapered to help artisans with more skill than you...

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?
Yeah that's what I was thinking. Thank you for talking me off that cliff.

edit: bamboo skewers were actually my original plan for this! I have a marble rolling pin which I think would help with stiffer doughs like pasta if only for the weight, but I may just table this plan until I get a cheap pasta machine.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
ATK does have a good recipe for fresh pasta without a machine, but confusingly, it wants a food processor. It also works with a KitchenAid. It is technically possible to make the dough by hand, I’ve done it, but not fun. But it’s all easy downhill after that. The rolling by hand is super doable, since they give clear instructions and dimensions to aim for. Rolling and cutting is nbd.

Recipe is paywalled but reposted here. You can also Google “ATK pasta without machine” and find their videos and stuff for free.

I’d say the dough is going to be a little thicker and eggier than ideal ravioli, but also I wouldn’t care. If you have a great filling and some browned butter or something, nobody will notice or mind. See how you like the process, and you can always get a pasta machine later if you get into it. If you do, ATK actually just put out a really nice fresh pasta cookbook, too.

Anne Whateley fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Mar 7, 2023

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

prayer group posted:

It looks like they're updating their branding, new box designs are going out. I think that's probably all it is.

It’s been obnoxious for a while now to find it easily. Only in the last month did Shop Rite start carrying it, at well over what I used to pay. It was around $3.50 for the 3-lb box. It’s now like $6. I give zero craps about the packaging. It goes directly into a canister as soon as i get home anyways. Release it in plastic bags, and I’m still fine.

Arkhamina
Mar 30, 2008

Arkham Whore.
Fallen Rib
Dumb cheese question. Outside of the US, what is the name used generally for 'swiss' cheese?.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Arkhamina posted:

Dumb cheese question. Outside of the US, what is the name used generally for 'swiss' cheese?.

In the UK I don’t believe there is an equivalent. Other than real Swiss cheeses. :smug:

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Scientastic posted:

Because that's the way trademark law works. You can't trademark a word that's been used in common parlance for fifty years.

Arkhamina
Mar 30, 2008

Arkham Whore.
Fallen Rib
I thoroughly expect its mostly a process cheese abomination, but the post about Gruyere losing its identity made me ponder it. I do like it on sandwiches, but I am pretty broad with my choice of cheeses. I mostly like it all.

I have had some feta that frankly defeated me (Bulgarian?) But I blame my weakness, not the cheese. Sad my 'If you love someone, give them cheese ' suitcase died. Need to find that bumper sticker again for new luggage.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

Arkhamina posted:

Emmental or Emmentaler is what us Merkins refer to as Swiss Cheese.

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

Arkhamina posted:

I have had some feta that frankly defeated me (Bulgarian?) But I blame my weakness, not the cheese. Sad my 'If you love someone, give them cheese ' suitcase died. Need to find that bumper sticker again for new luggage.

Bulgarian feta is so good

Arkhamina
Mar 30, 2008

Arkham Whore.
Fallen Rib
It was an Arabic grocery store in Minneapolis ( Holy Land) that had a deli with tubs of huge chunks of various fetas. I gave it a try and it was .... So very sheepy.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Because that's the way trademark law works. You can't trademark a word that's been used in common parlance for fifty years.

But that common parlance has been incorrect, and I’m pretty sure Gruyère producers haven’t been shy about pointing it out. I know what you’re saying, but this isn’t a post hoc application of a trademark to an existing word, this is a specific product that is recognised around the world as meaning a specific thing, except in America, where for some reason the word is used to describe any cheese with holes in it.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Doom Rooster posted:

Emmental or Emmentaler is what us Merkins refer to as Swiss Cheese.

That's a different cheese though... :raise:

DekeThornton
Sep 2, 2011

Be friends!
Correct or incorrect doesn't matter. If a word becomes common parlance you can even lose already existing trademark rights, like thermos and aspirin.

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

I'm in the US and I've never seen Gruyere used as a generic, or with holes in it. It also tastes nothing like Swiss. What are you people eating?

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.
Yeah, I don't think I've ever seen Gruyère on anything but hard, "blind" (no holes) cheeses.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

Arkhamina posted:

It was an Arabic grocery store in Minneapolis ( Holy Land) that had a deli with tubs of huge chunks of various fetas. I gave it a try and it was .... So very sheepy.

That's why it's good.

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

The ruling is that the type of cheese that is Gruyere was also made in places outside of the originating region and also called Gruyere and thus any cheese of that type can be called Gruyere, not that Gruyere is a generic term for cheese or a family of cheeses. Basically it's like saying any sparkling wine can call itself Champagne because that's how people were using the word before the regional trademark application.

Which is super dumb because that logic DOES apply to sparkling wine. And heaps of other things. So this seems like a weird deviation.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Phigs posted:

The ruling is that the type of cheese that is Gruyere was also made in places outside of the originating region and also called Gruyere and thus any cheese of that type can be called Gruyere, not that Gruyere is a generic term for cheese or a family of cheeses. Basically it's like saying any sparkling wine can call itself Champagne because that's how people were using the word before the regional trademark application.

Which is super dumb because that logic DOES apply to sparkling wine. And heaps of other things. So this seems like a weird deviation.

Has France ever successfully enforced any of their wine nomenclatures in the US? I still see cheap Burgundies.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Has France ever successfully enforced any of their wine nomenclatures in the US? I still see cheap Burgundies.

Champagne

Cognac and Armagnac too. Not sure what else.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Mister Facetious posted:

Champagne

Cognac and Armagnac too. Not sure what else.

There are American Armagnacs? Would try once.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

i mean they're French AOC names that America actually respects. Whether the US makes an equivalent version, i can't say.

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Hmm. Actually I don't know. I'll retract the super dumb comment if this is normal then, I thought America had gone along with the other trademarks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
If it’s not from the Gruyère region of France, then it’s just sparkling cheese