Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Jerrold Coe
Feb 6, 2021

Is it me?

AnimeIsTrash posted:

idk why right wingers hate higher education so much, it primes you for work in the empire

there is nothing that solidifies your belief and commitment to the system as graduating from an ivy league institution

they're workin the refs + whiny babies about the lightest criticism from tame academics

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

pogi posted:

oh my god do they really. how do they even calculate what a “top performer” is

football+basketball+baseball coach. at least two teams must have a winning record and at least one must make the state tournament each year

TheSlutPit
Dec 26, 2009

AnimeIsTrash posted:

idk why right wingers hate higher education so much, it primes you for work in the empire

there is nothing that solidifies your belief and commitment to the system as graduating from an ivy league institution

They are mad because the notion of elite universities as inclusive spaces challenges their notion of being part of a meritocratic institution [that happens to only accept rich white ppl]

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

pogi posted:

i kind of wish schools, at the very least secondary education, wouldn’t focus on technical stuff quite as much (although you do have to practice to master your understanding) and focused instead on the broad ideas a bit more. you don’t have to be a genius to get an intuitive sense of what’s going on with calculus. you don’t have to do a million pv=nrt problems to figure out that as temp goes up, particles move faster, which increases pressure, etc. etc. Learning about why the natural world works the way it does is worthwhile imo, even if you will never ever ever ever compute an integral outside of class

same goes for reading, steal from the soviets and have children reading tolstoy by age 10 or w/e imo
all that could be pretty well done in primary school really. but yes that's kinda the idea of general ed requirements yet they're usually bungled badly. lol at expecting people not to find stoichometry equations insanely boring because it is insanely boring +stupid

but yeah i took like 2 years of community college calc and partial diff eq poo poo and i have solved exactly zero differential equations or integrals despite working for over a decade. infact, the only poo poo i actually ever use is some stats/normal distribution poo poo, trigonometry, mohrs circle, and bernoulli equation. but it's very helpful to know what it means to take areas under curves and what rate of change means even if you never ever actually do anything mathematic with it

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

pogi posted:

oh my god do they really. how do they even calculate what a “top performer” is

Presumably by seeing how much monetary value a teacher brings into the school.

But teachers are the definition of educated so they hang tight to their unions, which drives both the GOP and succ libs mad.

TheSlutPit
Dec 26, 2009

I feel like calc/diff eq is intentionally used as a gatekeeping function into higher math, especially considering how obviously practical the core concepts are. Like most people can intuit a rate of change being related to some other quantity without having to prove the concept from first principles using limits. For example I’ve worked with plenty of electrical techs who easily understand “a current inrush on an inductive load results in a voltage spike” without having taken nearly enough math to work V=L(di/dt) on a low R load numerically.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

TheSlutPit posted:

I feel like calc/diff eq is intentionally used as a gatekeeping function into higher math, especially considering how obviously practical the core concepts are. Like most people can intuit a rate of change being related to some other quantity without having to prove the concept from first principles using limits. For example I’ve worked with plenty of electrical techs who easily understand “a current inrush on an inductive load results in a voltage spike” without having taken nearly enough math to work V=L(di/dt) on a low R load numerically.
this is largely most of american academia. the intro (or 2nd year) classes are considered "weeder" type poo poo that just deluges you with busywork. after that, 4th year or grad work is way way way easier

but yeah most people could grasp the ideas just fine because it is pretty practical. unfortunately they're usually presented in this overbearing greek-alphabet soup deluge of busywork

Popy
Feb 19, 2008

i just assume its bitter academics who want people to suffer cause they wasted their life getting a PhD that doesn't matter.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)
thanks to the way my degree (lol rip finishing that) worked I was able to do one 200 level class and then the rest being 400 and graduate student courses and my worst grade was in the 200 class*

*gently caress formal logic, it hurt my feelings

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
did you get owned by facts and logic

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

tokin opposition posted:

thanks to the way my degree (lol rip finishing that) worked I was able to do one 200 level class and then the rest being 400 and graduate student courses and my worst grade was in the 200 class*

*gently caress formal logic, it hurt my feelings

crazy i figured you had a phd in ovology

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

i say swears online posted:

crazy i figured you had a phd in ovology

triple major

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

AnimeIsTrash posted:

That's just one of their oldest running bits. You're not allowed to say what I'm being payed to say every week in my column in the nation's largest newspaper.

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

its cool too because reducing science stuff down to math problems allowed me to pass a bunch of science tests by saving all the equations on my calculator and being good at algebra, without necessarily having to even understand what i was solving

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

AnimeIsTrash posted:

Partly because they didn't get in and partly because they made it to college and discovered an entirely new, even more elite club that they were never going to get into.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Shipon posted:

the bane of every chemistry student, dealing with premeds who hated the subject and just wanted to memorize their way through everything

That was me in chemistry tbh and GIS systems

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
And here you are, years later, posting maps for funsies

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

GIS is very confusing and im glad i dont have to use it very much or very in-depth. coordinate systems? no thanks.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

atm machine for maps

Exodus1984
Feb 18, 2005

Eastern Europe Episode IV: A New Hope. I love President Volodymyr Zelenskyy. I understand and appreciate the precarious position the Ukrainians are navigating. I wish I could set up a 401(UA) fund from my paycheck to directly contribute my earnings to Ukraine's success.

spacemang_spliff posted:

I think felix is probably just lazy and coasting on the fact that he makes like a 100k a month doing a job where he just talks and realizes he doesn't have to put any effort in and he'll still make a poo poo load

Oh, you mean he could get bored talking about Rod Dreher once every 3 weeks? Why would that be?

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Exodus1984 posted:

Oh, you mean he could get bored talking about Rod Dreher once every 3 weeks? Why would that be?

when was the last episode where the theme was felix's idea

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

what if nba youngboy was master chief

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

i say swears online posted:

when was the last episode where the theme was felix's idea

law and order?

he also seemed very energetic when talking about doing a media gossip episode when they did the demolitoin man episode

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

what if halo took place in the mgs universe and lil durk was masterchief

rachel ray romano
Jul 5, 2021
Anyone ever listen to Walking the Room, Dave Anthony's podcast before the Dollop? I'm only reminded of it because the show ended pretty soon after the Dollop took off and his co-host got addicted to his dog's pain meds.

Cael
Feb 2, 2004

I get this funky high on the yellow sun.

Walking the Room ruled, the relationship between Dave and Greg is unlike anything else I feel like I’ve listened to on other podcasts (I’m sure there are, no need to give me a thousand examples). Greg with an Ian Fidance level of mania and weirdness and Dave just being a full on curmudgeon trying and failing to make Greg stop whatever stupid bit he starts up. I definitely need to relisten to some of it.

edit: I wonder how many fans of The Dollop realize the show’s name comes from them joking about what gets left behind on women’s seats at male strip clubs

Cael has issued a correction as of 01:48 on Mar 6, 2023

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

no meds = f4
is there somewhere i can listen to the hell on earth main theme but whole and maybe EXTENDED 10 HRS?

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost
I miss when WTYP would update weekly instead of once a loving month.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Zeroisanumber posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OX5DKfD391k

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Zeroisanumber posted:

i miss when donoteat did good solo youtube videos instead of trying to do audio SNL

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Xaris posted:

i miss when donoteat did good solo youtube videos instead of trying to do audio SNL

I like WTYP better but I get that it's a manner of taste.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Xaris posted:

oof lol. I guess it's less effort but I wonder if the money is better even if it's split multiple ways

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

Smythe posted:

is there somewhere i can listen to the hell on earth main theme but whole and maybe EXTENDED 10 HRS?

i know right! it's a banger

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I embody the dialectic and miss the WTYP pilot episode where it was only Alice and DNE, and the 50/50 dumbass/nerd ratio was better than the 66/33 when Liam showed up

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

no meds = f4
i watched the franklin show on youtube & liked it but nevber listened to wtyp

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Smythe posted:

i watched the franklin show on youtube & liked it but nevber listened to wtyp

franklin stuff was his best

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

no meds = f4

Xaris posted:

franklin stuff was his best

it owned

Futanari Damacy
Oct 30, 2021

by sebmojo
Cities Skylines is too hard. SimCity 3000 ftw

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

Futanari Damacy posted:

Cities Skylines is too hard. SimCity 3000 ftw

Do not attempt to syq here again. User loses posting privileges for 6 hours.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slave to my cravings
Mar 1, 2007

Got my mind on doritos and doritos on my mind.

KirbyKhan posted:

Do not attempt to syq here again. User loses posting privileges for 6 hours.

new thread going well