Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Lammasu posted:

That is kind of weird. Crypto is one of the few scams that actually works worse on the elderly because they see it as exchanging real money for fake money. Which it is.

True, but the elderly are still pretty eager to give their money away like it's going to rot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Renreeja
Oct 11, 2007

what I dont understand about these exchange SBF type scam dorks, is it just suicidal hubris? Like why does somebody fake it like that from the start? you would have to realize you are hosed in the end. Do they really think they could turn the tables and make money from the negative money lie?

I guess that goes for all pyramid-ponzi type scammers though, and the world is so full of them its not a strange occurance.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

They probably lost p much all of it and only stole a little. Generally people with gambling addiction take your money and also end up broke

Kerbtree
Sep 8, 2008

BAD FALCON!
LAZY!

Lammasu posted:

That is kind of weird. Crypto is one of the few scams that actually works worse on the elderly because they see it as exchanging real money for fake money. Which it is.

Messing about with crypto directly, yes. However, it’s existence and being some nigh-incomprehensible internet money thing leads to an awful lot of people falling for investment scams where someone says they’ll invest in crypto for them. They don’t understand it, but they’ve seen ads on facebook saying crypto can Make Big Money. The victim thinks stuff like “great, that’ll shore up my pension/pay off my mortgage/let me leave a nice inheritance for the grandkids” and off they go.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Renreeja posted:

what I dont understand about these exchange SBF type scam dorks, is it just suicidal hubris? Like why does somebody fake it like that from the start? you would have to realize you are hosed in the end. Do they really think they could turn the tables and make money from the negative money lie?

I guess that goes for all pyramid-ponzi type scammers though, and the world is so full of them its not a strange occurance.

Part of it was that due to a combination of incredible incompetence and malfeasance they thought they had $8bn more than they actually did.

Also if your hedge fund desperately needs some money right now it's psychologically easy to "borrow" some from your exchange business because you'll totally be able to pay it back before anyone notices because of crypto going UP UP UP.

Dark_Adonis
Apr 10, 2005

Fun Shoe

MechaCrash posted:

As I understand it, a "stablecoin" is a digital IOU that they claim is worth a specific amount of United States dollars, which they totally have, really they pinky promise swear, no you may not see the actual dollars these IOUs can be traded for.

I wonder how many more times we're going to have to relearn the lessons of wildcat/shadow banking without the regulations. (who am I kidding, where there is greed these will always pop up)

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

Dark_Adonis posted:

I wonder how many more times we're going to have to relearn the lessons of wildcat/shadow banking without the regulations. (who am I kidding, where there is greed these will always pop up)

On some level, there are two types of problems.
1: people who are easily addicted to anything vaguely addictive (such as gambling).
2: people who are scammed easily, or are borderline enthusiastic to literally hoist themselves by their own petard.

I know that it sounds like it's the same, but unfortunately it's two distinct sorts of groups that circle back to the same problem every time.
For 1: this means "I cannot stop touching the (poop/crypto/trading/drugs/whatever is explicitly bad for you)" - money perpetuates the problem.
For 2: this means: loud noise = "holy poo poo we should give money to that guy he says the quiet part out loud!" or "I've never heard of this before and I bet nobody else has either and I'd like to put my life savings into it!" - money also perpetuates the problem.

Both result in stupid people getting more money than they can handle and totally loving up, not unlike any other scam that gets atrocious amounts of money, had no hope from the start, and collapses with collateral damage. Both can be intelligent people, bankers, fraudsters, hucksters, there's no limit.

In short but sadly, Bitcoin represents a common collateral damage of this same part of society itself via a bubble, all the way back to the old timey scams we know as snake oil salesmen.

Rad Russian
Aug 15, 2007

Soviet Power Supreme!

notwithoutmyanus posted:

Well I didn't expect this one, specifically on age.
https://abc7chicago.com/lisle-il-sp-solutions-bitcoin-of-america-cryptocurrency/12904235/

Apparently they ran scam bitcoin ATM's.

There are other types of bitcoin ATMs?

acidx
Sep 24, 2019

right clicking is stealing

Rad Russian posted:

There are other types of bitcoin ATMs?

Nah, there's legit ones. See, Ally bank even has them.

If you create an account one one, you can get a steep discount on a new pair of Abibas shoes.

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

acidx posted:

If you create an account one one, you can get a steep discount on a new pair of Abibas shoes.

That tagline is missing the "choose two" part.

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

acidx posted:

It's not even bolted down. I bet two people wearing OFFICIAL CRYPTO ATM TECHNICIAN t-shirts can carry it away with no one batting an eye.

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

Mad Dragon posted:

It's not even bolted down. I bet two people wearing OFFICIAL CRYPTO ATM TECHNICIAN t-shirts can carry it away with no one batting an eye.

But all the t-shirt printers I've called ask to be paid in fiat, up front...

Deep Glove Bruno
Sep 4, 2015

yung swamp thang

Dark_Adonis posted:

have you considered that wildcats are cool? i saw a scottish wildcat the other day, it was good. maybe people are thinking about dope rear end pumas and jag-wires when they dump all their life savings into unregulated semi-anonymous organizations promising double digit interest with no clear source of same

Tsietisin
Jul 2, 2004

Time passes quickly on the weekend.

Oh well. Bit of a shame huh.

Edit: This might actually be false.

https://twitter.com/johnlray/status/1632597058732392448?t=AbliLAJrOeJIelO7PIRmfA&s=19

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

It's a good joke, but BCash didn't even exist when he lost his hard drive.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface
I also doubt he would have A. Been allowed to do all that even with permits, and B. Would have been approved for a loan.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

even if he did get a permit he'd never find it, it's buried under 10 years worth of trash at this point

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

Spinning HDDs are amazingly fragile things that are miracles they work at all, never mind as well as they do. I worked in a small computer shop back in college and we always treated them as pieces of fine china that are liable to break if you looked at them funny, and they've only really gotten more fragile as the bit densities have been packed on.

The idea that you're going to recover anything from a drive thrown away and subjected to the abuse that trash undergoes before being fully entombed, sitting in the elements for a decade, in English weather, is utterly laughable.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

kw0134 posted:

Spinning HDDs are amazingly fragile things that are miracles they work at all, never mind as well as they do. I worked in a small computer shop back in college and we always treated them as pieces of fine china that are liable to break if you looked at them funny, and they've only really gotten more fragile as the bit densities have been packed on.

The idea that you're going to recover anything from a drive thrown away and subjected to the abuse that trash undergoes before being fully entombed, sitting in the elements for a decade, in English weather, is utterly laughable.

I think this is a bit of an exaggeration. If you were dealing with this kind of potential money, advanced data recovery technics on spinning disks are actually pretty good. The chances of recovering the data you need is better than this post is painting.

Disks are fragile for sure, but mostly what would be considered normal use. The chances the disk could be just plugged into a computer and just work is near zero. The chances of pulling data off the drive after sitting int he bottom of a landfill is probably in the 0-30% range. It being the data you need ... less so.

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

Sickening posted:

I think this is a bit of an exaggeration. If you were dealing with this kind of potential money, advanced data recovery technics on spinning disks are actually pretty good. The chances of recovering the data you need is better than this post is painting.

Disks are fragile for sure, but mostly what would be considered normal use. The chances the disk could be just plugged into a computer and just work is near zero. The chances of pulling data off the drive after sitting int he bottom of a landfill is probably in the 0-30% range. It being the data you need ... less so.

A lot of data recovery works by trying to find byte patterns that look like *something*, a JPEG, a PDF, etc. A Bitcoin private key is a relatively small amount of data that should look random. You need to find a needle that looks exactly like a piece of hay.

I guess maybe it's stored as base64, so that would be something to look for? But browser cache and cookies are going to look like that too.

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

So what are the chances that this guy isn't throwing his life away in a mad Ahab-esque pursuit of a white whale? Because it sounds like we're splitting hairs on "being recoverable" and "we found half of hello.gif."

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish

kw0134 posted:

So what are the chances that this guy isn't throwing his life away in a mad Ahab-esque pursuit of a white whale? Because it sounds like we're splitting hairs on "being recoverable" and "we found half of hello.gif."

he wants to buy a pair of robot dogs to help search, we're well past ahab

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat
difference is, ahab found his whale and it was perfectly functional

Suspect A
Jan 1, 2015

Nap Ghost
Just another example of desperate folks desperately trying to escape their circumstances. At least in an actual treasure hunt there would be some sense of adventure. This guys just digging though the trash. Sad.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Don't most landfills run superhot from all that decomp as well?

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
they run hot and wet, any thing with a void in it is going to have hot garbage juice in it.

also there's a non zero chance the evolution lottery picks a winner and microbs finally unlock "eat e-waste"

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

PhazonLink posted:

they run hot and wet, any thing with a void in it is going to have hot garbage juice in it.

also there's a non zero chance the evolution lottery picks a winner and microbs finally unlock "eat e-waste"

A slime mold is now in control of dude’s bitcoin account

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
it would be funny if the microbes that evolve to eat e-waste end up spreading everywhere and eating all electronics

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

priznat posted:

A slime mold is now in control of dude’s bitcoin account

im not seeing the difference

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Fur20 posted:

im not seeing the difference

Sorry I should have specified an actual slime mold instead of a human slime mold :haw:

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

lmao i guess drdisrespect woke up out of his coma after getting banned from twitch

https://twitter.com/9_volt_/status/1632747459687469059

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.

Strong Sauce posted:

lmao i guess drdisrespect woke up out of his coma after getting banned from twitch

https://twitter.com/9_volt_/status/1632747459687469059

Is this basically just Fortnite but with bitcoin

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

I liked it when he demoed the game he is working on and everyone was like uhhhh looks like garbage.

Granted it is really early state but why demo something that looks like crap

Ups_rail
Dec 8, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
I was in a corner store on the rough side of town a place where you could buy daiper baby food MD2020 meth pipes? And bitcoin. I asked the clerk about it and he asked if I did bitcoin and I was like 10 years ago I 100 of them but I sold them. He said same with him

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

I could not recommend buying 100 of Bitcoin, 10 years ago or today

drk
Jan 16, 2005

orange juche posted:

I could not recommend buying 100 of Bitcoin, 10 years ago or today

definitely not from corner store mark karpeles

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Handle with Caution
Nap Ghost
I would really appreciate it if you guys would reupload the pictures from Twitter. It only takes a minute and I would hate you a little less

drk
Jan 16, 2005
twitter is a very reliable place for hosting images and hasnt had any major outages in nearly 8 hours

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Consummate Professional posted:

Is this basically just Fortnite but with bitcoin

no it's tarkov with bitcoin

which is especially funny because there was just an expose on how rampant cheating is in tarkov, even without the absurd stakes he's proposing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silly Newbie
Jul 25, 2007
How do I?

Lammasu posted:

The elderly weren't being scammed, they were doing the scamming.