Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.
Can't remember where I read, just a couple of days ago, someone pointing out that in the book Peter Pan has been basically kidnapping all of Wendy's female ancestors for generations just to make them cook and clean. Wendy herself begs her parents to be allowed to go to Neverland to act as a loving unpaid scullery maid.

I dunno, but seems all kinds of hosed up, not sure why this story keeps getting remade tbh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Specifically they are taken to Neverland to act as a "mothers," which Pan and the lost boys only have a vague notion of what that is supposed to be. Wendy's mom is implied to possibly know Pan but the story never says Wendy's ancestors all did this. It is in the afterword that was written later though an adult Wendy lets her daughter go have some adventures with Pan and the story says she would do the same with her own daughter later and this would happen with each future generation of the family.

Snooze Cruise fucked around with this message at 08:36 on Mar 1, 2023

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
Thanks for the clarification. I think I made the mistake of reading someone terminally online who took a bit of something and made it much bigger than it was for the sake of updoots.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Yeah, its still weird but just the type of weird you expect typically from older children's stories.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
Hook was just trying to break up a centuries long human trafficking situation.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
The unresolved matter is what exactly Pan does with the lost boys who grow up, with "banished" being the least terrible of the options available.

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010
Peter Pancelled.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Parkingtigers posted:

The unresolved matter is what exactly Pan does with the lost boys who grow up, with "banished" being the least terrible of the options available.
They become the pirates he fights and they forget they were ever boys is the most economical solution.

You want rough? Remember Tinkerbell's fate.
Pete is asked about her by the adult Wendy and his response is 'who? oh, a fairy? they live such short lives who cares we all forget about them"

Peter not knowing what a mother was usually is implied to be because his own mother lost/abandoned him in a park as an infant or somesuch

Really, Peter Pan is hit after hit about the horrors of childhood in an industrial age.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

B-Rock452 posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xQBGmBOhQEE

I mean it can't be any worse than this but it sure is trying

Man this loving owns

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

I was into this until they brought in the modern day Hangover like plot with the current day comedian.

FoneBone
Oct 24, 2004
stupid, stupid rat creatures

Parkingtigers posted:

Can't remember where I read, just a couple of days ago, someone pointing out that in the book Peter Pan has been basically kidnapping all of Wendy's female ancestors for generations just to make them cook and clean. Wendy herself begs her parents to be allowed to go to Neverland to act as a loving unpaid scullery maid.

I dunno, but seems all kinds of hosed up, not sure why this story keeps getting remade tbh.

There was a movie that came out last year that tried to tackle this… I think. I haven’t seen it and the reviews were terrible

https://youtu.be/j3g18XVwCaM

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Parkingtigers posted:

I would assume it's because no one is as familiar with the original story as the Disney movie so you have creatives going 'hey we should make our own version of Peter Pan!' and welp.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

hey speaking of Peter Pan movies, what about that movie Wendy?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KKktQFFcXL0

Did that turn out to be any good? I really liked the trailer.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gartMjonTXc

Not gonna lie, kinda into it. Haunted Mansion's always my jam, though.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
yeah i doubt that is going to be anything special but its way more charming than the pan trailer at least

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

caligulamprey posted:

Looks fun. The Eddie Murphy one is fun too. This one just looks a little scarier though (I mean... relatively of course). My kids will love it

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

caligulamprey posted:

I see they're doing everything they can to hide the fact that Jared Leto is in this. (I think he's playing the ghost playing the piano, and you definitely don't see his face here.)

El Jeffe
Dec 24, 2009

God drat am I getting tired of lazy movie titles. This movie's about a haunted mansion, just call it Haunted Mansion. This movie takes place primarily in an ambulance, just call it Ambulance. This movie's about a dog, just call it Dog. It smacks of following some bullshit algorithm that told them literal straightforward titles get the views, and it might even work to that end, but it's so uncreative.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

It is based on the Disney attraction, the Haunted Mansion.

fishing with the fam
Feb 29, 2008

Durr
Well, I mean in this case it's based on a theme park ride called Haunted Mansion, so it would be kind of dumb to call it something else like Spooky Manor or Poltergeisty Chateau.

El Jeffe
Dec 24, 2009

Oh well that's fair I guess

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
lmao

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Guys, I have a brilliant idea for the title of my upcoming pirate movie set in the Caribbean

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

AceOfFlames posted:

Guys, I have a brilliant idea for the title of my upcoming pirate movie set in the Caribbean

I can see it now: Cutthroat Island 2

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Make a sequel to Explorers.

Bring back Ethan Hawke, James Cromwell and Robert Picardo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=al75vXD6koc

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

El Jeffe posted:

God drat am I getting tired of lazy movie titles. This movie's about a haunted mansion, just call it Haunted Mansion. This movie takes place primarily in an ambulance, just call it Ambulance. This movie's about a dog, just call it Dog. It smacks of following some bullshit algorithm that told them literal straightforward titles get the views, and it might even work to that end, but it's so uncreative.
Lmao wow dude

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Ehud posted:

hey speaking of Peter Pan movies, what about that movie Wendy?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KKktQFFcXL0

Did that turn out to be any good? I really liked the trailer.

Amazing soundtrack, but I thought the movie was pretty poo poo and full of shrieking children. It strikes a real weird tone, too. Maybe worth a watch as a curiosity, but I would just listen to the soundtrack and rewatch Where the Wild Things Are or something if you want to experience the whimsy of childhood without the sociopathic elements of it.

Chadzok
Apr 25, 2002

PLANE

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

GrandpaPants posted:

Amazing soundtrack, but I thought the movie was pretty poo poo and full of shrieking children. It strikes a real weird tone, too. Maybe worth a watch as a curiosity, but I would just listen to the soundtrack and rewatch Where the Wild Things Are or something if you want to experience the whimsy of childhood without the sociopathic elements of it.

for some reason this made me want to watch the movie more

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Ehud posted:

for some reason this made me want to watch the movie more

Right? Something about rad music and sociopath kids just kind of sold me?

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.
I'll say it - I think the D&D movie looks good. So does Haunted Mansion. Give me all the Lakeith Stanfield you can, Hollywood.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Snooze Cruise posted:

Specifically they are taken to Neverland to act as a "mothers," which Pan and the lost boys only have a vague notion of what that is supposed to be. Wendy's mom is implied to possibly know Pan but the story never says Wendy's ancestors all did this. It is in the afterword that was written later though an adult Wendy lets her daughter go have some adventures with Pan and the story says she would do the same with her own daughter later and this would happen with each future generation of the family.

A man who refuses to grow up and serially attracts women to serve as his mother and who all grow tired of him and leave seems kind of on-the-nose for the 19th century.

Something Else
Dec 27, 2004

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

El Jeffe posted:

AmbuLAnce is set in an ambulance in Los Angeles, that's a pun. Not lazy!!

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Colonel Whitey posted:

I'll say it - I think the D&D movie looks good. So does Haunted Mansion. Give me all the Lakeith Stanfield you can, Hollywood.

I watched GAME NIGHT last night, and I am on board with those directors for the D&D movie even more.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
I was iffy on D&D until the 5 questions clip and now I'm in

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
Kinda late to the game, but Moonrise Kingdom is a pretty good secret Peter Pan movie.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

That movie creeped me out. I hated it

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ooZdaF2zMlM

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

The cast is wild but man they make a new movie or show on these like every 3 years.