Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lih
May 15, 2013

Just a friendly reminder of what it looks like.

We'll do punctuation later.
they've done plenty of stage shows before and they usually just have things like luffy's punch going behind a pillar so it can be extended etc.

idk how that sort of thing translates to an ice show though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

one piece on ice?

how did that happen?

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

MorningMoon posted:

one piece on ice?

how did that happen?

"Hey wanna do One Piece On Ice?"
"OK"

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Yo ho ho
They wanted money

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
drat aokiji putting in work

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Break Week taking us strange new places :stare:

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

does being frozen by sea water work on devil fruit users?

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

touching the ice in the summit war didn't seem to do anything so prolly not

Tolth
Mar 16, 2008

PÄDOPHILIE MACHT FREI

Mraagvpeine posted:

Wonder how they're going to show rubber powers in live Live Action.

Man I bet you don't even know who Bad One Gracie is

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

On Ice is a weird title for the next movie, but I'm sure the animation will look incredibly realistic!

lowercase16
Apr 19, 2008

Cyclops actually has two eyes.

I was watching the Critical Role cast trying not to sing along to songs for the React channel on YouTube. When they got to the song What's Going On? by 4 Non Blonds, my friends and I were pointing at the screen and hollering like apes at a monolith.

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me

ThatBasqueGuy posted:

does being frozen by sea water work on devil fruit users?

I mean, being frozen by any kind of water is usually fatal.

Usually... :v:

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

lowercase16 posted:

the song What's Going On? by 4 Non Blonds

The song is called What's Up.

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

Just popping in to say that I just now finished the Dressrosa saga. Such an incredible finale and enjoyable read, I’m beaming.

Oda is supernaturally gifted at keeping all these characters and events in order while giving us clear and entertaining moment-to-moment action.

Plot-wise, this arc’s climax was similar to Alabasta in many ways, but the sheer volume of new characters, environmental complexity, and added lore injected wherever possible shows how much Oda has grown as a storyteller since then.

So excited to see what’s coming, yet bittersweet to know I’m nearing the home stretch.

BoosterDuck
Mar 2, 2019
the bird cage sucks

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Because I would rather be positive: All the gladiator side characters in Dressrossa were so much fun. I know at the time some people were down on how much time was spent with them, but Oda just going absolutely crazy with whatever kind of wacky fighter popped into his head was the best part of that arc, and the fact that so many are promising to stick around after is fantastic.

But other aspects of that arc aren't as well received for more understandable reasons. It's probably better reading it all in one go than it was to read weekly.

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

BoosterDuck posted:

the bird cage sucks

Don't sandbag the man's sugar high, for gently caress's sake :rolleyes:

Scrap Dragon
Oct 6, 2013

SECRET TECHNIQUE:
DARK SHADOW
BLACK FALLEN ANGEL!

I imagine that the Bird Cage did suck to read week-to-week, but as someone that read it archivally it was excellent

Wii Spawn Camper
Nov 25, 2005

The best gladiators were the random animals that apparently heard about it and decided to enter.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Scrap Dragon posted:

I imagine that the Bird Cage did suck to read week-to-week, but as someone that read it archivally it was excellent

This has basically been my take on almost every post-timeskip arc. However good the highs are, or rough the lows can be; they're all just better when you can read them via archive and appreciate a pace that isn't one chapter a week or so. When one piece is finally finished in fifty years I look forward to spending a million dollars on whatever fancy rear end collected edition they manage to work up and reading it until I die.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
I reread a big chunk of the manga a few years back and I have to say, most of it works better in binge format but Birdcage still sucks, it sucks so bad. I’m happy for all of you that could enjoy it though.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I read the birdcage after the fact and really dug it as a device to further hammer home just how hosed up Doflamingo is, my only actual issue with Dressrosa (apart from Rebecca's ridiculous outfit) is that even with the benefit of not having to wait week to week for chapters, it's still an extremely long story and I couldn't quite believe when I'd get to the end of another volume and it still wasn't over.

Ironically, (post Dressrosa stuff) I had the opposite problem with Wano where because I was reading it week to week, even though I knew it had been going a long time it didn't feel as long as Dressrosa did. It ran for four years! And that's not counting all the stuff with Kin'emon and Momnosuke that starts in Punk Hazard and runs through Zou! With Whole Cake Island stuffed between Zou and Wano!

Edit: Spoilering just in case whoever is currently reading doesn't want any spoilers!

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Bird cage is kinda uninteresting and awkward a plot conceit but don't get why it became the thing to point to for "why Dressrosa is bad".

Tolth
Mar 16, 2008

PÄDOPHILIE MACHT FREI

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Bird cage is kinda uninteresting and awkward a plot conceit but don't get why it became the thing to point to for "why Dressrosa is bad".

It was horrible to read weekly. It works pretty well in the arc overall, but when those were being released week by week it was intolerable and the weekly readers are still mad about it.

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

The main problem for me with Dressrosa is that Luffy kept getting sent all the way back to 1-1 to climb the plateau, super fuckin frustrating when he ultimately just ended up wrecking Doflamingo in a fight anyways. Birdcage was just the set-dressing around that fight having to take much longer than it needed to. Cool arc regardless.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

I only ever had 2 problems with Dressrosa
- 2 many concurrent subplots. The Dwarves could have been subbed out completely and you really wouldn't miss them, not that they're bad characters, and you could have just had Dressrosa family members held hostage instead.
- Birdcage was insanely OP and couldn't be countered in any way shape or form once it was activated, and seemed to have very little stamina drain on Don Flamingo.

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

I want Doflamingo to come back into the story already...

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Bird cage isn't a bad idea it's just really badly executed and is probably the first thing in OP which breaks all expected rules about how things work. It's a rare severe execution misstep from Oda.
- Zoro can't even cut it at all.
- Somehow stronger than 100 beefy beefmen.
- Somehow drains none of Doflamingo's stamina at all.
Something that comes up a lot is you could easily make it a lot better by just having Zoro easily cut it but then it regrows, and showing it draining a little bit of Dofly's stamina, like bare minimum a few sweat drops on his face and a one-off comment would help a lot. As is it's just not believable and comes off as a plain bullshit power.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Dressrosa is also very very good because Usopp remains best Straw Hat

Should be illegal to have that many good reaction faces in one arc

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Tolth posted:

It was horrible to read weekly. It works pretty well in the arc overall, but when those were being released week by week it was intolerable and the weekly readers are still mad about it.

I mean, I was there reading it weekly and while I'm not the biggest fan of late Dressrosa my issues weren't primarily with the bird cage. It was more like "Man, this is getting real long" or "Kyros is super boring, I don't care about this fight".

I totally get why people weren't fans but its still sorta weird to me that the bird cage is what people always point to as the big issue, even if it was a dumb way to force a time limit on the arc.

lih
May 15, 2013

Just a friendly reminder of what it looks like.

We'll do punctuation later.
it's the last section of an already very drawn-out arc, so it symbolises the pacing issues while also being a weird bullshit power

Popy
Feb 19, 2008

the jacket devil fruit made it all worth it

also usopp saved the day TWICE

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

It had Bellamy and Barto. So truly a great story.

Delphisage
Jul 31, 2022

by the sex ghost
Dressrosa is a problem-littered arc that lasts three years and only has a handful of characters that really pull their weight in making you care about them. The great stuff like Law's flashback, Bellamy's character arc, God Usopp, and Doflamingo being the best villain since Crocodile and Enel still really help, but the bad parts like Rebecca's uselessness, the generally weird treatment women get this arc, the narrative recycling from Alabasta, Sabo eating Ace's fruit and becoming his narrative replacement, and Fujitora doing next to nothing the whole arc still mean nobody's eager to revisit it.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Fujitora was very cool throughout

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

Delphisage posted:

The great stuff like Law's flashback Don Chinjao, BellamyDon Chinjao's character arc, God Usopp Mr Pink, and Doflamingon Chinjao
FTFY

Delphisage
Jul 31, 2022

by the sex ghost

I like Don Chinjao and what he adds to Luffy and Garp. He's just not as good as the moments I listed. Same reason I didn't mention Bartolomeo or Cavendish.

Senor Pink is wrapped up in that "weird treatment of women" problem, so I can't really enjoy him.

DeadBonesBrook
May 31, 2011

How do you do, fellow Regis?
The Bird Cage was also a symptom of Don Flamingo having a weird power set that just came up with new abilities as the plot demanded.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

The power would have made more sense if cutting it made it shrink quicker

Same end result in having to knock Mingo out, and trying to slow is down, but it makes more 'logical' sense.
Ability was overpowered AF

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Sometimes fruits be overpowered. And That's OK