Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

You could also just buy some disposable gloves

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Giant Metal Robot
Jun 14, 2005

Taco Defender
Get two spatulas, one with the travel case for your diaper on-the-go setup.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

theratking posted:

If you use butt paste I highly recommend a spatula.

:five:

Thread title

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
I mean at that point just put your triple paste in a piping bag. With a star tip, of course.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Use a cake decorating turntable for an even layer.

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

the spatula made putting diaper cream on so much less gross, highly recommended

Freezer
Apr 20, 2001

The Earth is the cradle of the mind, but one cannot stay in the cradle forever.
Almost feels like this little dude is sick more often than not. I knew this would be happening after he started preschool, but jfc it's absurd.

theratking
Jan 18, 2012

sheri posted:

You could also just buy some disposable gloves

Never actually tried this but it sounds way worse than a spatula. I can probably apply diaper cream and wipe down the spatula in the time it takes me to just put on disposable gloves, but I also have extremely clammy hands so YMMV.

esquilax
Jan 3, 2003

I too ridiculed the spatula at first but now I am a spatula believer. Easy even application, easy clean, works with tubes or tubs.

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

Shifty Pony posted:

Use a cake decorating turntable for an even layer.

I knew my lazy susan would find a use!

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS

theratking posted:

If you use butt paste I highly recommend a spatula. I was skeptical but it makes the experience so much less messy. They sell special diaper cream spatulas for like $5.

The Soviets used their fingers and washed their hands afterwards.

Shalhavet
Dec 10, 2010

This post is terrible
Doctor Rope
Spatula is the best, especially when the kid is wiggly as hell and you're trying to not get desitin everywhere.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Mods asleep at the wheel on thread title

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

You can report the post with "people think this would make a great thread title" to get their attention. Just don't do it super often.

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

Now comes the real fun, I'm sick too

Koivunen
Oct 7, 2011

there's definitely no logic
to human behaviour
I gift a butt spatula for every baby shower I go to, registry be darned.

Ice the butt, wipe the spatula on the clean diaper, good to go.

Emily Spinach
Oct 21, 2010

:)
It’s 🌿Garland🌿!😯😯😯 No…🙅 I am become😤 😈CHAOS👿! MMMMH😋 GHAAA😫
I think I was recommended the butt spatula in either this thread or the pregnancy one when I was pregnant with our first, and I was instantly like that's the best idea ever.

space uncle
Sep 17, 2006

"I don’t care if Biden beats Trump. I’m not offloading responsibility. If enough people feel similar to me, such as the large population of Muslim people in Dearborn, Michigan. Then he won’t"

I got gifted a butt spatula but I never used it. I’m still a dirty butt Toucher. At least I wash my hands.

I have the kid chanting “butt goo! Butt goo!” With me now which cracks me up.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

I love the parade of accomplishments kids do for their favorite grandparents

I know lots of words in Spanish! I know lots of sign language! Look at my book I wrote! See all my drawings!!!!!!

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

tomorrow my wife goes back to work. i am still on parental leave (having started it only recently) and so will be responsible for getting both the toddler and the baby to daycare. i expect it is going to be hectic!

meanolmrcloud
Apr 5, 2004

rock out with your stock out

The downside of the butt spatula is that at some point, the kid will absolutely want to eat, hug and play with the butt spatula

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!
That's when you deploy the secondary decoy spatula.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

Tonight at the dinner table.

"I feeding the floor! I feeding the floor!"

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before
My son is struggling to adapt to pre school. He has been at Montessori childcare for a couple of years and has been fantastic there, but I got a call today to say he was being naughty and apparently hit one of the other kids. Ive never heard or seen him do anything like this before and I'm not sure what to do about it.

carrionman
Oct 30, 2010
Any advice on getting a 5 month old to sleep for more than 30min? During the day it's not a big deal, she just yawns, goes to sleep then wakes up happy, carries on.
At night every half hour it's instant screaming, at least 5 min but more like 10 to calm her down, then rinse and repeat. She's been doing it for about 6 weeks now. We have a bedtime routine, noise machine, half the time she's not hungry, she doesn't care about a dummy, painkillers to see if it were her teeth did nothing.
It's coming up on two months since I've slept for more than 40min in a stretch, I'm getting so over this

Silent Linguist
Jun 10, 2009

carrionman posted:

Any advice on getting a 5 month old to sleep for more than 30min? During the day it's not a big deal, she just yawns, goes to sleep then wakes up happy, carries on.
At night every half hour it's instant screaming, at least 5 min but more like 10 to calm her down, then rinse and repeat. She's been doing it for about 6 weeks now. We have a bedtime routine, noise machine, half the time she's not hungry, she doesn't care about a dummy, painkillers to see if it were her teeth did nothing.
It's coming up on two months since I've slept for more than 40min in a stretch, I'm getting so over this

Dang dude, I don’t know how you’re still sane. Have you tried sleep training? When she wakes up, give her 5 minutes to try falling back asleep herself. Then if she’s still upset, go in and pet her and say “shhh” (but don’t pick her up). Then 5 more minutes, etc. This is what we did with our son, he figured it out within a week.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

carrionman posted:

How long does she sleep in the day time? Sounds like it's a couple hours at least? Is she at home or in daycare?

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

lobster shirt posted:

tomorrow my wife goes back to work. i am still on parental leave (having started it only recently) and so will be responsible for getting both the toddler and the baby to daycare. i expect it is going to be hectic!

wasnt nearly as bad as i was expecting tbh, yay

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."

lobster shirt posted:

wasnt nearly as bad as i was expecting tbh, yay

:hellyeah:

carrionman
Oct 30, 2010

Silent Linguist posted:

Dang dude, I don’t know how you’re still sane. Have you tried sleep training? When she wakes up, give her 5 minutes to try falling back asleep herself. Then if she’s still upset, go in and pet her and say “shhh” (but don’t pick her up). Then 5 more minutes, etc. This is what we did with our son, he figured it out within a week.

We tried that, she cried for 2 hrs before she slept the first night, 2.4 the second, third and 4th before we gave up.
She's only sleeping for 30min stretches during the day too.
No daycare, fortunately my wife can work part time from home

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!
My kid, 4 years old, was dropped off at preschool alone today for the first time in almost a year. She's been insisting that my wife come with her every day (and we specifically chose a co-op school so that would be an option) but last night she told us she felt ready to do it alone. I'm apprehensive but also so proud and excited and optimistic.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

carrionman posted:

We tried that, she cried for 2 hrs before she slept the first night, 2.4 the second, third and 4th before we gave up.
She's only sleeping for 30min stretches during the day too.
No daycare, fortunately my wife can work part time from home

What does your ped say about this? I'm thinking it can't be fun for a baby either, to never sleep more than 30 minutes at a stretch. Never heard of this still going on at 5 months.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Yeah I'd consult your pediatrician, maybe push for a sleep study or something? This is definitely "seek professional help" territory

Sounding like a broken record but have you tried mylicon? Also maybe look into a food allergy study. That's definitely not normal behavior.

Ours was on the other end of the spectrum as soon as she could eat 2 oz milk in one sitting she would sleep for 6+ hours at night I think by four months was sleeping 10+ hours

Good luck

Edit: maybe try a looser diaper, more/less clothing, more/less blanket, more/less light, more/less noise/music

Hadlock fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Mar 6, 2023

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005
Prop up the head end of the cot mattress a smidge if you haven't already, maybe it's reflux related. 40m is one sleep cycle iirc

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009
Tonight's phrases from an 8 year old: daddy can you help show me how to fart from my armpit? :3:

Tonight's hell from an 8 year old: when you tell them to stop playing videogames at dinner (2 hours after permissions granted, told at time of permissions) and it turns into a big fight after dinner.

Edit: of course resolved with endless tickles because that's how she rolls.

notwithoutmyanus fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Mar 7, 2023

carrionman
Oct 30, 2010
Yeah, the current thinking is that maybe something from my wife's diet is coming through and upsetting her stomach. So we're cutting different foods out to see.
We've spoke to our pediatrician, and it seems to be that they're thinking it's not directly a sleep issue, as she sleeps like a champ during the day.
As evidence, when my wife was sick for a day and didn't eat anything other than toast and water we got a 3hr sleep form the little girl.
It's just a slow process. And I'm so tired

Tom Smykowski
Jan 27, 2005

What the hell is wrong with you people?

carrionman posted:

It's just a slow process. And I'm so tired
Another good thread title candidate

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Maybe try supplementimg with formula to see if the problem goes away immediately. You'd know the first night if it's a food allergy.

marchantia
Nov 5, 2009

WHAT IS THIS

Hadlock posted:

Maybe try supplementimg with formula to see if the problem goes away immediately. You'd know the first night if it's a food allergy.

This is what I was going to say, it doesn't have to be a permanent thing if she wants to keep breastfeeding, but it would help to narrow down if it's an issue with her diet and help you get some sleep while you guys figure out what it could be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

space uncle
Sep 17, 2006

"I don’t care if Biden beats Trump. I’m not offloading responsibility. If enough people feel similar to me, such as the large population of Muslim people in Dearborn, Michigan. Then he won’t"

Kiddo was off to bedtime and it was mom’s night to read him books and tuck him in, I go to say goodnight to him and shut the door for them.

“Dada wait”
He runs over and I’m hoping he gives me a hug. He stops short.
“Dada, one kiss” he points to his cheek
I lean down and give him a kiss goodnight.

He laughs and runs back to mama. Gotta admit that one made me tear up, he’s never asked for a kiss from me before.