Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:
I love this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SgX7ws0gDG0

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
New season starts Feb 19

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3S_jB7atu64

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

It's back. It's what you're watching if you forgot to turn off the tv after watching the Last of Us.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

I've been trying to get ahold of mushrooms for this exact reason for some loving time now. I had no idea you could do it through a professional.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

The dancing Veritas dude was funny, but that was a pretty good piece on AI.

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

The movie is "Human Centipede". A 100%.

Slightly related:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFokXnCCMf8

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

My guess is The Shape of Water.

The Passion (Passin'? Pissin'?) of the Christ would also be funny but I don't think John would do that to a small business

Ignis
Mar 31, 2011

I take it you don't want my autograph, then.

My guess is Batgirl, because it makes sense to me they would take the chance to do this and own business daddy in one fell swoop

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Cocaine toilet

I doubt it's going to be anything action based, that's their whole gimmick. It'll be something like steel magnolias

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Azhais posted:

I doubt it's going to be anything action based, that's their whole gimmick. It'll be something like steel magnolias

Yeah I'm guessing something drama based, possibly even a romance

E: if the company takes them up on the challenge I guess it'll be a while before we find out which film it is, they'll save the reveal for when the ad is finished and that might take a few weeks or even longer

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Ignis posted:

My guess is Batgirl, because it makes sense to me they would take the chance to do this and own business daddy in one fell swoop

Nobody really cares about Batgirl though. It sucks for everyone who was involved in the production, but I doubt that the general audience was eagerly anticipating it.

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

Alhazred posted:

Nobody really cares about Batgirl though. It sucks for everyone who was involved in the production, but I doubt that the general audience was eagerly anticipating it.

Honestly that film looked like it was gonna be a shitshow from start to finish, nobody's gonna miss the absence.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Scholtz posted:

My guess is The Shape of Water.

The Passion (Passin'? Pissin'?) of the Christ would also be funny but I don't think John would do that to a small business

Passion of the Christ in texas would get them firebombed in Texas, and I think the show is aware of this.

It’s going to be something romance or drama related, with a very small chance at a musical. I’d guess a Nicholas sparks movie or sisterhood of the traveling pants or mama Mia.

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

It’s Andrea Riseborough’s crowning achievement “To Leslie” reimagined as her being addicted to clearing clogs.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

I thing Everything Everywhere has a solid chance.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Holy poo poo those welfare songs :lmao:

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Kamrat
Nov 27, 2012

Thanks for playing Alone in the dark 2.

Now please fuck off
I'm assuming there's a reason but couldn't you just leave during a timeshare presentation, they can't really keep you anywhere since it's against the law right, I don't really get the person needing to eat and therefore said yes to a timeshare, just leave and go to a shop/restaurant.

pwn
May 27, 2004

Kamrat posted:

I'm assuming there's a reason but couldn't you just leave during a timeshare presentation, they can't really keep you anywhere since it's against the law right, I don't really get the person needing to eat and therefore said yes to a timeshare, just leave and go to a shop/restaurant.

I'm here for the free (whatever) and i've been here for an hour it must be about over.

Same thing happens on eBay all the time. Person searches for item, finds it in an auction, it's a low starting price, they watch it for the next week, get caught up bidding on it, and never think to search for the item again and see if a better priced one has been newly-listed. I already did the search, now i'm focused on getting this. They end up paying $30 for the widget, while one went up three days ago BIN for $22.

It's a peculiar thing about people, a blend of sunk cost and tunnel vision. It's the job of the salesperson to recognize and exploit this poo poo. That's evil!

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
I suspect the people that have the ability to just walk away wouldn't have walked in in the first place

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

A lot of people also just have a great aversion to just being plain rude to other people, even when it'd be completely justified. So naturally these salespeople will mercilessly exploit that, engaging them in conversation again and again, offering them some drinks, or something to eat, and basically dragging it out as long as possible. The correct response would be to simply turn around and walk away mid-conversation, but many people have been raised to never ever do that to anyone.

Plus there are more than a few stories going around about the salespeople physically locking the doors of whatever conference room they've got everyone corralled into until they made enough sales.

Kamrat
Nov 27, 2012

Thanks for playing Alone in the dark 2.

Now please fuck off
gently caress yeah you're right, gently caress I hate pushy/manipulative salespeople. when I was younger I would have had a harder time dealing with people like that but nowadays I don't give a gently caress really and end up being rude and angry if they don't leave me alone.

I don't think timeshares are a thing over here luckily, I actually thought they weren't really a thing in the US any more as well since they've been made fun of for decades on tv before I saw this weeks episode. I guess the scam never ends

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015
Chalk me up as another person who just found out that it is still a thing and that people still fall for it. I love that there is a related scam about cancelling the timeshares though :v:

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
We booked our honeymoon in 2018 and our Travel Agent went with a timeshare pitch package. It was done so far in advance and I was so preoccupied with wedding stuff it completely passed by me when she said she did that.

Had to spend 4 hours on a beautiful Tuesday morning getting a hard sell on the chain's vacation package to save $1,500 on the trip.

Almost won me over too, there is comething appealing about being told you can have 2 weeks stays at any of their Carribean resorts for a $700 a month membership. Even offered to throw in airfare vouchers for the first 5 years. As someone who grew up with the only family vacations being day trips to an amusement park or a weekend at relatives being able to provide my wife and i and any potential children that kind of experience is super tempting.

$4k up front 'joiner fee' was a splash of cold water and got me thinking about other fees we'd be hit with.

Not sure how much they told me was a lie, but I do remember them going on about member exclusive beaches despite every island in the Carribeans, except Jamaica, having strict laws about every beach being open to the public no matter what.

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

Xarn posted:

Chalk me up as another person who just found out that it is still a thing and that people still fall for it. I love that there is a related scam about cancelling the timeshares though :v:

I thought the same until recently, when I noticed “Hilton Grand Vacations” and “Marriott Vacation Club” results in my searches for hotel rooms.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Kamrat posted:

Social pressure. It's easy to think you can just lead, but it's hard being the one guy to interrupt things by loudly stepping out (and often if one person can muster the willpower to leave it breaks the spell and the rest will leave). I've been in weird presentations trying to recruit people to be insurance salesmen that go like that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DEzC-3mi3y0

But if they lured you in with a promise of something, probably you need to stay 'til the end to get it.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

I mean they’ll literally block the doorway (politely) if you try to leave. I’ve worked in sales before and telemarketers have nothing on timeshare sellers. Fuckers are next level

Tequila25
May 12, 2001
Ask me about tapioca.
Funny enough, just went to a Hilton timeshare presentation this week in Vegas. We booked it months ago so this week's John Oliver had us unexpectedly prepared but a bit nervous. They said it would be 2 hours, but they must have either been doing really well or really poorly because we got out in 90 minutes. Just had to say no to three sales people and they took off. I've never seen sales people get out so quickly as soon as we said we weren't interested.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
What was the incentive to even go, out of interest? What kind of free poo poo do they offer to get people to stick around?

pwn
May 27, 2004

I bet you can go to one of those dressed as a poor and they won't even waste their time on selling to you.

"Here take your tchotchke and go before anyone sees you here"

vote_no
Nov 22, 2005

The rush is on.
Timeshares don’t prey on the wealthy.

Tequila25
May 12, 2001
Ask me about tapioca.

tsob posted:

What was the incentive to even go, out of interest? What kind of free poo poo do they offer to get people to stick around?

They gave us a huge discount on the suite we were staying in, so they had that hanging over us in case we ditched the presentation all together. We also got 25,000 bonus Hilton points at the end.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

I wish I was as good at anything as John Oliver is at spending HBO’s money on mascot costumes

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Season two of House of the Dragon is cancelled as HBO gonna need some lawyer money.

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist
Impish delight all around, but drat it if my jaw didn't actually drop when he asked about the voice.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

I just got around to watching last week's episode, and I had to replay that first "catch phrase" six times and then give up and google it to understand what Mickey was saying. Am I the weird one for not instantly knowing who Shelly Miscavige is? And what's the connection to Disney?

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Tiggum posted:

Am I the weird one for not instantly knowing who Shelly Miscavige is?

She's the wife of the Scientology leader David Miscavige and she disappeared back in 2007 with no explanation ever given

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

She's the wife of the Scientology leader David Miscavige and she disappeared back in 2007 with no explanation ever given

Yeah, I know that now. I googled it. But, without context, I couldn't understand what the mouse was saying because that name meant nothing to me. And that still doesn't explain the connection to Disney?

Weebly
May 6, 2007

General Chaos wants you!
College Slice
Aren’t Scientologists famously litigious? Maybe they’re just trying to make HBO use their lawyers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vote_no
Nov 22, 2005

The rush is on.

Tiggum posted:

Yeah, I know that now. I googled it. But, without context, I couldn't understand what the mouse was saying because that name meant nothing to me. And that still doesn't explain the connection to Disney?

As far as I know, Epstein isn’t directly connected to Disney either. It’s just making various controversial statements.