Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
I'd love to see a Jeanist vs Muscular fight.

Muscle.... fibers?!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Oxxidation posted:

remember the large shark girl who was the focal point of like four chapters and never got a name

that was so weird

:allears:

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
I still have no idea what the big civilian lady is but she's really cute and Hori was obsessed with drawing her for a while

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

She's clearly some sort of weasel or ferret, but also yes she was very cute.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

I've also seen "weasel" thrown around to describe her species, but it might just be a hodgepodge of animal motifs Hori finds cute (or striking)

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
"That's how it worked in Evangelion, too." Lmao, you fuckin dork

It's great

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Honestly I think it's pretty funny that she's just called an ordinary woman. The giant animal woman is just a normal girl in this world, nothing more.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Little sad neither the English manga nor the anime kept her verbal tic, which is that she squeaks.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

She is obviously a kangaroo

Delphisage
Jul 31, 2022

by the sex ghost
So MHA's on sudden hiatus for this week and the next two.

https://twitter.com/WSJ_manga/status/1633306649447534594

I have no idea what Hori can do. We're far from a point he can just slam the door shut like Bleach did and is anything going backwards. Unless he decides that he needs to end his villains NOW, we're stuck with this status quo for both manga and mangaka for another two years.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
He's probably injured. Tataba took three straight months off so I'm not sure why they're stringing this along instead of just letting him recover

Delphisage
Jul 31, 2022

by the sex ghost

Fabricated posted:

He's probably injured. Tataba took three straight months off so I'm not sure why they're stringing this along instead of just letting him recover

Probably anime schedules. The Black Clover anime got shut down because of hell if I know why (the source I've read says "lack of source material", but that's never stopped Pierrot from its filler mills for Bleach and Naruto. Plus they're still doing a filler movie for BC later this year), and so there was nothing stopping Tabata from going on hiatus himself the next year. MHA still has an anime running right now.

FartingBedpost
Aug 24, 2015

Fabricated posted:

He’s 100% injured, I wish they’d let him recover fully, the story’s been spinning its wheels for awhile anyways. Letting him recover is the right thing to do, with the added bonus of a couple months off could actively avoid a Bleach situation where the story goes from “going nowhere fast” to “completely unraveling”.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Yeah this is ridiculous, let him rest

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

He probably needs someone to order him to if that theory he thinks if he takes a break he will not be able to get back into it is correct. It's really sad hearing about these medically induced breaks.

The Awesomesaurus
Feb 15, 2006

I'm too cool to be extinct.

Dude is having his own Dark Deku arc.

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker
Just make him stop to recover for at least a few months, and get the editorial department together to really help him work out an actionable plan for ending the series properly before it kills him.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

The Awesomesaurus posted:

Dude is having his own Dark Deku arc.

God I hope someone gives him a bath then.

Scallop Eyes
Oct 16, 2021
I'm not liking this final arc, but nobody should have to try writing a story while almost literally dying, I hope Hori can get an actual break.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Flair posted:

The interesting tidbit is that in the All for One vs. All Might, it was alluded that All for One had some HunterxHunter combination of quirks in their fight that occurs before the manga starts, but even with Eri's quirk, we are still just seeing energy blasts and dark lightning.

I think he was always the kind of person to go for a quantity over quality approach and just have a bunch of different quirks rather than master any particular one. The impression I got is that back in his Prime he just fought differently than getting buff and punching like he did against All Might

I mean I could see him combining quirks, but I doubt he was ever super skilled with them

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.
I remember back in the all might fight he was doing poo poo like stacking six strength quirks on top of each other and that was a fun idea that seems to have dropped off.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

I mean, that just culminated in just an air blast or a big punch. He's probably still doing that, just not announcing it, because it's old hat now.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

All those quirks stacked on top of each other was just a fake out so he could use Impact Reversal to blast all of All Might's power back at him.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!
Considering how Eri's powers work All for One should currently be in a nightmare state of constantly losing and gaining quirks.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

christmas boots posted:

I think he was always the kind of person to go for a quantity over quality approach and just have a bunch of different quirks rather than master any particular one. The impression I got is that back in his Prime he just fought differently than getting buff and punching like he did against All Might

I mean I could see him combining quirks, but I doubt he was ever super skilled with them

You can see him fighting in his prime in one of the movie one-shots that showed him fighting Nana. He still used the dark lightning but combined it with some crazy body-horror and final fantasy crystal quirks:

I think the mouth made of individual rows of teeth is my favorite.

The Awesomesaurus
Feb 15, 2006

I'm too cool to be extinct.

AFO’s foot fetish confirmed.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Nephthys posted:

You can see him fighting in his prime in one of the movie one-shots that showed him fighting Nana. He still used the dark lightning but combined it with some crazy body-horror and final fantasy crystal quirks:

I think the mouth made of individual rows of teeth is my favorite.

If you can emit quirks from any part of your body I guess it would make sense to just cover as much of the battlefield in your "body" as possible

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

TheHan posted:

Considering how Eri's powers work All for One should currently be in a nightmare state of constantly losing and gaining quirks.

Maybe that's why his fighting style is relatively simple? Can't do fancy quirk combos when there is a real possibility that one of it's main quirks gets rewound in the middle of it. :v:

Thoren
May 28, 2008
The man with a million quirks just can't get past the dude who punches hard.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Superman and Goku shows us that the best power is and always has been, "punches really hard and fast"

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Hard to come up with crazy quirk combos when your skull is caved in.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

It's also that All Might was way, way more motivated than All for One, to the point that he just kept fighting with his guts hanging out until he smashed his face in. That's why he needed Shigaraki as someone who had his power but could also go 'Plus Ultra' like All Might.

You can kind of see it in this fight too because All for One keeps monologuing and posing while the heroes throw everything at him.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Nephthys posted:

It's also that All Might was way, way more motivated than All for One, to the point that he just kept fighting with his guts hanging out until he smashed his face in. That's why he needed Shigaraki as someone who had his power but could also go 'Plus Ultra' like All Might.

You can kind of see it in this fight too because All for One keeps monologuing and posing while the heroes throw everything at him.

Yeah, it's pretty clear that he tried to monologue after disemboweling All Might, and instead All Might charged him and caved his skull in with a punch in a manner so memorable it haunted All for One until the modern day. That vision of All Might's "dying" charge.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

christmas boots posted:

There's nothing to suggest that AfO isn't basically a quirk virtuoso/genius. His comment on "that quirk is strong but takes too much training" was specifically referring to acquiring quirks for Shigaraki, who explicitly has zero patience and gets frustrated easily, not himself.

The dude can figure out how to stack two dozen quirks on top of each other to create a desired effect without killing himself or causing some kind of unintended effect when most of the characters we see spend their lives training to get the intended effect out of their single quirk. He can also jack someone's quirk and figure out how to use it on the fly instead of spending ages figuring out how to harness it. He's probably not as adept with any given quirk as someone who spends their entire life mastering that one quirk, but he's definitely way above average with using them. He could probably jack quirks from class 1A and use them better than they can at the moment, for example.

For an on-page depiction of how hard it is to figure out how to use multiple quirks in tandem, see Deku, who is "only" juggling 7 quirks and has the aid of an entire team of force ghosts directly explaining to him in plain words how and when to use said quirks and their limitations and flaws.

Kanos fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Mar 11, 2023

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
yes, the simplicity of afo's approach is less due to his character as written and more to horikoshi's limitations as a writer

my boy tokoyami finally got his moment and it was just another Big Punch

Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

ElvUI super fan at your service!

Ask me any and all questions about UI customization via PM

christmas boots posted:

I imagine there was a time when he used much more complex quirks, and then All Might punched his entire face off with a quirk that does nothing but let you punch really hard and he went "gently caress all this fiddly nonsense, gimme a bunch of Punch Really Hard quirks."

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
In Kamino he specifically wanted to beat All Might at his own punchlord game, since his goal in that fight after getting Shigaraki out was simply to cause as much pain and suffering to All Might as possible to get a kick out of it. I think if he was actually taking it seriously and not effectively trolling he wouldn't have gone with the giant jerkoff arm approach.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
I think he kinda says as much during the fight- implying that he was kinda fine with either outcome but if he was gonna kill All Might in front of the world he'd do it in a punchup for maximum effect.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

I feel like a lot of people forget that all those stacking punch quirks AfO used were just a distraction and the real point of the attack was to hit All Might with Impact Reversal and shoot all his own power back at him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Kanos posted:

There's nothing to suggest that AfO isn't basically a quirk virtuoso/genius. His comment on "that quirk is strong but takes too much training" was specifically referring to acquiring quirks for Shigaraki, who explicitly has zero patience and gets frustrated easily, not himself.

The dude can figure out how to stack two dozen quirks on top of each other to create a desired effect without killing himself or causing some kind of unintended effect when most of the characters we see spend their lives training to get the intended effect out of their single quirk. He can also jack someone's quirk and figure out how to use it on the fly instead of spending ages figuring out how to harness it. He's probably not as adept with any given quirk as someone who spends their entire life mastering that one quirk, but he's definitely way above average with using them. He could probably jack quirks from class 1A and use them better than they can at the moment, for example.

For an on-page depiction of how hard it is to figure out how to use multiple quirks in tandem, see Deku, who is "only" juggling 7 quirks and has the aid of an entire team of force ghosts directly explaining to him in plain words how and when to use said quirks and their limitations and flaws.

I do have to wonder how much that was really meant for Shigaraki since it seems like he always meant to replace Shigaraki immediately anyway, but overall it's just the same kinda vibe I got from that conversation where Hawks speculated that the reason he needed Shigraki's hatred was because he didn't have any of his own -- he lacks a fundamental depth that holds him back.

Also, in fairness to Deku, each of those seven quirks have been amped to hell -- I'm not sure it would have been as hard if they were still at their original strength..

E: I also recently re-watched Unlimited Blade Works and, while All for One is not Gilgamesh, I think I'm bringing that frame of reference with me.

christmas boots fucked around with this message at 07:34 on Mar 13, 2023