Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

quadrata
Feb 27, 2023
I read The Crying of Lot 49 and was struck by how funny and... fresh? it felt, had to double check when it was written. The slide from investigation to paranoia, human pattern recognition going haywire in the face of half-coincidences and plausible deniability was disorienting and fascinating (and reminded me of Eyes Wide Shut, although for me the film didn't land nearly as well).

I got the impression a lot of readers dislike the revenge play in the middle (but that might have been from goodreads lol). I know gently caress all about theater and I'm sure most of the connections to outside events flew over my head, but I really enjoyed it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Pynchon was in deep with all that CIA ARPA poo poo. To the point he was apparently worried about being bumped off for publishing the novel. Once you realize that though, the secret postal system takes on a whole new meaning.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Gaius Marius posted:

To the point he was apparently worried about being bumped off for publishing the novel.

Source please, I would be interested in that

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

http://shipwrecklibrary.com/the-modern-word/pynchon/sl-siegel-playboy/

Siegel isn't exactly reliable, but it seems legit that a dude like Pynchon would be pretty paranoid of three letter agencies.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Gaius Marius posted:

http://shipwrecklibrary.com/the-modern-word/pynchon/sl-siegel-playboy/

Siegel isn't exactly reliable, but it seems legit that a dude like Pynchon would be pretty paranoid of three letter agencies.

Thanks for that! It was a great read.

Now I will sit patiently and wait for someone to connect Jolly West to Tom Pynchon. (The teeth, my god, the teeth!)

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

all desire - the thirst for oil, war, religious salvation - needs to be understood according to what he calls 'the demonogrammatical decoding of the Earth's body'
He worked for the Bomarc program which pieces of would eventually become the modern internet. So he essentially knew of a top secret “invisible” messaging system across the country.

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

all desire - the thirst for oil, war, religious salvation - needs to be understood according to what he calls 'the demonogrammatical decoding of the Earth's body'
Also happy 50th to Gravity’s Rainbow.

quadrata
Feb 27, 2023

Danger posted:

He worked for the Bomarc program which pieces of would eventually become the modern internet. So he essentially knew of a top secret “invisible” messaging system across the country.

I saw posts upthread about this, possibly yours, and knowing what Pynchon is gesturing toward definitely added to the experience.

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

I should read more Pynchon. Gave up on Gravity’s Rainbow pretty early, but I think I might dig other stuff.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

ThePopeOfFun posted:

I should read more Pynchon. Gave up on Gravity’s Rainbow pretty early, but I think I might dig other stuff.

Where'd you stop? Part 1 is pretty disorienting (but also full of iconic and humorous moments), Part 2 is when it gets more into spy antics, espionage, and gets a little more centered around Slothrop.

If you want "heavy" Pynchon, go for V. or Mason & Dixon. If you want Pynchon Lite, go for Inherent Vice or Lot 49.

I feel like I may dig into Bleeding Edge soon. I read half of it, but got distracted by other books. I'll start it from scratch and see it through. I only have that and AtD left.

I'm reading Kerouac's Big Sur. I feel like this thread doesn't like Kerouac, but I'm enjoying it. It's at it's best when he's talking about nature. Now he's deep into a drunken binge and a mental breakdown, and his mind has lost the ability to make connections. He's just seeing the world around him in images and can't tell what's real and imaginary, and everything feels sinister. It's pretty good.

Franchescanado fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Feb 28, 2023

quadrata
Feb 27, 2023
Too intimidated to even attempt Gravity's Rainbow, but Inherent Vice I could probably handle. I find shorter books much easier to approach and Lot 49 was basically the perfect length for me.

For those of you who read more recent books, anything of a similar length you've enjoyed from the last decade or so? I know it's not the most popular time window.

One I saw many recommendations for is Eimear McBride's A Girl Is a Half-formed Thing and I'll throw mine on the pile, I really liked it. edit: Also read Strange Hotel from her but didn't connect with it as much.

quadrata fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Feb 28, 2023

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
I just finished The Three Musketeers and that was long as poo poo. But also a lot of fun

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
I don't keep up with a lot of recent releases, but a handful I've liked:

Sea Monsters by Chloe Aridjis
Antkind by Charlie Kaufman
Multiple Choice by Alejandro Zambra
On Earth We're Briefly Gorgeous by Ocean Vuong
Antígona González by Sara Uribe
Lauren Groff's books
George Saunders's books

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

Part 1, yeah. Wasn’t into the wackiness at the time.

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

Inherent Vice is excellent and the PTA adaptation is wonderful. Also it’s an easier read but definitely more thematically dense than just some genre pastiche.

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

GR is so loving good you’ll go from like some loony toons poo poo joke into one of the most poignant passages on the abject ever written.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

ThePopeOfFun posted:

Against The Day is very readable and while it takes awhile to get there is full of relatable generational family drama

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

fez_machine posted:

Against The Day is very readable and while it takes awhile to get there is full of relatable generational family drama

It's his biggest and best soup.

Gravity's Rainbow has fewer ingredients but more seasoning.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

quadrata posted:

I read The Crying of Lot 49 and was struck by how funny and... fresh? it felt, had to double check when it was written. The slide from investigation to paranoia, human pattern recognition going haywire in the face of half-coincidences and plausible deniability was disorienting and fascinating (and reminded me of Eyes Wide Shut, although for me the film didn't land nearly as well).

I got the impression a lot of readers dislike the revenge play in the middle (but that might have been from goodreads lol). I know gently caress all about theater and I'm sure most of the connections to outside events flew over my head, but I really enjoyed it.

I read this for BOTM catch up and really enjoyed it.

thehoodie
Feb 8, 2011

"Eat something made with love and joy - and be forgiven"
all this talk about GR is making me want to read it again. please stop. i have other books i need to read

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

i’m reading alone in berlin by Hans fallada

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

ulvir posted:

sorry you're lonely in germany but you forgot to tell us the title of the book

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Odd for them to be lonely too, Hans Fallada is apparently right next to them. Say hi

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Gaius Marius posted:

Odd for them to be lonely too, Hans Fallada is apparently right next to them. Say hi

Or let Hans read the book too so you don’t have to do it alone

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

ulvir posted:

I almost accidentally bought a second copy because I didn't realize it was just a re-translation with a new title. (The one I have already is "Kukin kuolee itsekseen" i.e. "Everyone dies on their own" whereas the new one is "Yksin Berliinissä" i.e. "Alone in Berlin".)

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

DeimosRising posted:

sorry you're lonely in germany but you forgot to tell us the title of the book

Gaius Marius posted:

Guy A. Person posted:

Or let Hans read the book too so you don’t have to do it alone

:hmmyes:

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

3D Megadoodoo posted:

I almost accidentally bought a second copy because I didn't realize it was just a re-translation with a new title. (The one I have already is "Kukin kuolee itsekseen" i.e. "Everyone dies on their own" whereas the new one is "Yksin Berliinissä" i.e. "Alone in Berlin".)

yeah I was a bit confused when I first looked through his bibliography on wikipedia, “wait, where’s alone in…? … oh

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

3D Megadoodoo posted:

I did that with Camus's The Stranger, which was also published as The Outsider, though having two translations of such a short book is kind of interesting because you can basically read them back to back. I'm sure it's been done, but it makes me want to read a book that's presented as two translations of a nonexistent book, and each translation is different enough that it radically changes the meaning of the text.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Magic Hate Ball posted:

I did that with Camus's The Stranger, which was also published as The Outsider, though having two translations of such a short book is kind of interesting because you can basically read them back to back. I'm sure it's been done, but it makes me want to read a book that's presented as two translations of a nonexistent book, and each translation is different enough that it radically changes the meaning of the text.

Huh, that's clever.

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa
The Q source and the Gospels

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon
Don Quixote by Cervantes and Don Quixote by Pierre Menard.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Pierre Ménard was a lot more interesting conceptually

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

It still amuses me slightly that the first Borges translation into English was published in Ellery Queen Mystery Magazine.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Started reading The Red and the Black. Already I can tell it's gonna be an all timer for me. Few novels are able to get you into that perfect Heat mindset of rooting for and against the protagonist at the same time.

Julien's passion and intelligence are so clear, and the vanity and haughtiness of his betters so repugnant that you can't help but be taken with him. And yet that same deprived upbringing and the love/hate dichotomy towards wealth it instills in his mind are already in the process of loving up his social acrobatics as early as the kiss he bestows upon Mme. de Rênal. And his arrogance an naivety ensure he cannot comprehend the typhoon that that and further actions he takes towards her will create.

gently caress his dad and brothers tho for real.

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

louise glück is good. i'm reading meadowlands, and i don't think there's been a single boring or insipid poem in that

barkingclam
Jun 20, 2007
Gluck is great, I copped an anthology of hers a few years ago and I go back to it often.

Crespolini
Mar 9, 2014

I finished A Place Of Greater Safety, by Hillary Mantel. I've previously read her Cromwell Trilogy, as well as 8 Months on Ghazzza Street, though the former is more obviously comparable in being works of historical fiction.

Apart from a slow, almost painful start, I liked it a lot. I also like Mantels style though, and had specifically set out to read something by her in particular. You can definitely tell this is one of her earlier works however. It's sprawling but slightly clumsy, jumping back and forth in different styles and all over the place. Still, I found it very charming, even though you know everyone in it is going to end up getting beheaded. (Even if you didn't know the history, I'd have to believe you'd see that coming once the previous 17 000 victims are sent to the guillotine).

Poor Camille, the little idiot. Of the three main players, he got the most sympathy, even or especially when he didn't deserve it. I miss him now, after having spent so many pages with him. There's a review saying it has too much history and not enough novel, but I didn't get that at all. After I was done I had a very clear image of all the main characters, but found myself googling details of the French revolution that had been skimmed over or left in the background.

Crespolini fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Mar 21, 2023

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I don't think there's a single better setting for a novel than from the French revolution to the other French revolution.

There's something very disconcerting, intentionally I'm sure, whenever Wallace uses interface rather than interact to denote a conversation with another person.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

You all loving suck for failing to tell me I should be reading Percival Everett. Just got "Dr. No" and I'm hooting and/or hollering.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cryptoclastic
Jul 3, 2003

The Jesus

mdemone posted:

You all loving suck for failing to tell me I should be reading Percival Everett. Just got "Dr. No" and I'm hooting and/or hollering.

I just read “The Trees” as my introduction to him and was pretty disappointed. He’s pretty prolific so I guess there will be ups and downs.