Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Read After Burning posted:

I can never see "Ave Maria" anymore without remembering Dan Ryckert going "What's the name of that opera song? Eva Angelina?" :allears:

Lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

John Murdoch posted:

On a more wholesome note, using lower case Ls and capital Is was a good way to, at a glance, have multiple characters with the same name in City of Heroes.

Oh!
In CoH you could play a Controller set (support, disables, low damage) that was all about light and illusions.
One power was called "Phantom Army" that would summon three minions in plain white uniforms that would fight for you for a minute or so.
You could also dress yourself in that uniform, including the light aura they had.

So a clan of folks made a bunch of these characters named "Parallel Illusions" using the I/l trick and only used Phantom Army to fight.

It's one of my favorite gimmicks from that game.

Now on the fan servers you can set your phantoms to copy your look. It's so much fun.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I heard people complaining about this run of levels in Tomb Raider 2 in Venice, but I'm finding them very interesting to explore. They are clearly trying to have a semi-realistic aesthetic despite being very videogamey in layout like the Opera House (where I currently am, just in the dark underwater tunnels). I like places like the big main amphitheater with the flooded orchestra pit in the middle and the rotting seating tiers around the edges to platform around as you seek out circuit boards to activate gates. Similarly the ruined mansion hideout in the prior level had a cool visual with all the tarped furniture to climb on in the main ballroom and rotted through floors above.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Hollow Knight bosses have small title cards on the bottom corner of the screen when the fight starts (minor spoilers to follow)

the final boss has a bigger title card in the upper centre of the screen it's very cool

However there is both a secret true final boss and a DLC boss. Both of whom are gods so they had to up the ante and both of these title card drops absolutely kick rear end when you see them and hear the musical sting

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

God drat I love Hollow Knight.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

This image is actually from the supercharged DLC variant of the secret true final boss, the base game version is just The Radiance. But it does get a very cool intro sequence where you enter the mind of the first final boss and challenge the sun to a fight and the sun responds

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

haveblue posted:

This image is actually from the supercharged DLC variant of the secret true final boss, the base game version is just The Radiance. But it does get a very cool intro sequence where you enter the mind of the first final boss and challenge the sun to a fight and the sun responds

I know but the base version also has a splash screen like that and they have the same cool sun intro. Have the challenge though which rocks. Owned with mantis lord too

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Gotham Knights made a Gwyneth Paltrow vagina egg joke and I laughed.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

The PS5 version of Control didn't bring my save over.

This means I get to play through Control again!

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

rydiafan posted:

Also "ENGAGE RIDLEY MOTHER FUCKER" is a functional password in the original Metroid.

On the 3DS and NES classic that password could softbrick the console

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

I've been playing through various Mario RPGs lately, and I'm in Mario & Luigi: Paper Jam right now. I'd forgotten how much fun the new battle card system was, just another fun way to make yourself even more powerful by getting experience boosts and throwing out damage and debuffs and such. For a series that was constantly tossing in new gimmicks trying to keep the core gameplay fresh, that one lands really well.

Too bad the studio shifted their focus after this to cranking out remakes and going bankrupt. Between this system and the clever incorporation of Paper Mario stuff, there's a ton of stuff in here that feels fresh and fun, and I really wish we'd gotten another new entry in the series.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Iirc it was more of a “gently caress gently caress gently caress we don’t have the tools/resources to start work on a new console Mario and Luigi game and Nintendo is hanging us out to dry instead of helping” thing where the remakes were desperate attempts to keep the lights on. Which is a shame, the Superstar Saga remake reminded me that I missed the quicker less involved attack animations of the older ones but they were still pretty good action RPGs.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

That sucks, I'd forgotten what went into the decision and that it was right around when the Switch debuted and became Nintendo's main thing. I wish they'd gotten the support they needed, I've had so much fun with their games over the years.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

The Paper Mario games have been compromised by a mandate that forbids any new character-designs or even RPG elements,

So Mario as an RPG is dead on two fronts.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

It is kinda funny that it's the only Paper Mario game to deliver an experience really following the traditional rpg design since the Gamecube, and it's not even in the Paper Mario franchise.
(I actually like Super Paper Mario and bits and pieces of the other games since then, but it is honestly baffling how specifically that series has been hampered from just doing a straightforward followup to what people liked in the first place)

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
Nintendo can be loving dumber than dirt sometimes, yeah.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

In Cult of the Lamb, your cult devotees are various animal types that can be interacted with via a command wheel interface: go eat something, dance with the leader, take on this job, etc. Dog followers have an additional interaction: Pet. :3: The animation is adorable.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

Inspector Gesicht posted:

The Paper Mario games have been compromised by a mandate that forbids any new character-designs or even RPG elements,

So Mario as an RPG is dead on two fronts.
How did X-Com Mario get made, let alone two of them.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
Like Paper Mario, Nintendo will allow one original, and a sequel. So Mario + Rabbids 3 will turn into a farm management sim or something.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
Scrolled through the gallery in Metroid Prime Remaster yesterday and saw this cool thing:

https://twitter.com/SimonSimplex/status/1632489424633364480?s=20

the turret can see you

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

Croccers posted:

How did X-Com Mario get made, let alone two of them.

I don't know, but they are surprisingly good.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Simply Simon posted:

Scrolled through the gallery in Metroid Prime Remaster yesterday and saw this cool thing:

https://twitter.com/SimonSimplex/status/1632489424633364480?s=20

the turret can see you

I'm curious if that's on purpose as a neat touch (which it is), or just because they copied the active game model over into the model-viewer and there's still an active raycaster on it triggering the "I see target" animation off the camera.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I'm curious if that's on purpose as a neat touch (which it is), or just because they copied the active game model over into the model-viewer and there's still an active raycaster on it triggering the "I see target" animation off the camera.

Even if it's the latter, I can't imagine they didn't notice that and decide it was a great idea to keep in.

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

Elfface posted:

Like Paper Mario, Nintendo will allow one original, and a sequel. So Mario + Rabbids 3 will turn into a farm management sim or something.

I’m listening…

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Dunno about all this paper mario hate, my kid who is 9 fuckin loves origami king.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

That's the best one since they started switching over into different gimmicks, but I eventually dropped it because I got tired of solving extended layout puzzles for every boss fight. I just want to jump on enemies or hit them with hammers and stuff!

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Biplane posted:

Dunno about all this paper mario hate, my kid who is 9 fuckin loves origami king.

I had a good time with Origami King you got to fight a big ol roll of tape.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Weirdly I felt like Yakuza Like A Dragon came the closest to scratching my Paper Mario itch.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Paper Kiryu: The Thousand Year Arcade

yook
Mar 11, 2001

YES, CLIFFORD THE BIG RED DOG IS ABSOLUTELY A KAIJU
Origami King seemed like a good game on its own merits, people just seemed to want to rag on it for not being Thousand Year Door.

Bug Fables: the Everlasting Sapling is a pretty good straight up Paper Mario: TTYD clone if that's what you're interested in. I got most of the way through it, but stopped before the end mostly because it really did just feel like replaying paper mario. With my steam backlog these days, I kind of want my games to either be something novel or something short and focused (ie. not rpg length).

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Push El Burrito posted:

I had a good time with Origami King you got to fight a big ol roll of tape.

My kids favorite was the stapler boss! Dad look its a big stapler!!!!! :haw:

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

Biplane posted:

Nintendo games are fundamentally for children and goons hate it if the game’s different from when they were twelve

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
origami king is fine but it's definitely missing something to make it really shine & the puzzle mechanic in combat is very hit-or-miss. i enjoyed it well enough, but that doesn't really stop me from wishing for a new game in the series in the style of TTYD (especially now that Mario + Luigi is a dead series).

i think a lot of people just haven't really recovered from super paper mario dropping the RPG elements entirely. that game got a lot of undeserved poo poo but it'd also absolutely have been a better game with TTYD combat

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Some more Waves of Steel: I just unlocked an AA weapon called "disco laser". With my usual sense of restraint, I immediately slapped half a dozen of those on a battleship already bristling with all sorts of lasers. Long story short, this happened:

The frames may dropped to single digits, but no airplanes could ever bother me. Excellent AA solution, funky/10. :allears:

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Dazzler camo

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

I can still see the boat and anything past the boat. Put on more Disco lasers.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

flatluigi posted:

origami king is fine but it's definitely missing something to make it really shine & the puzzle mechanic in combat is very hit-or-miss. i enjoyed it well enough, but that doesn't really stop me from wishing for a new game in the series in the style of TTYD (especially now that Mario + Luigi is a dead series).

Yeah, I'd be happier with Paper Mario doing its own thing if Mario & Luigi was still going, but it's starting to get close to a decade since the last non-remake came out there.

Speaking of Paper Jam, one more compliment now that I'm finishing it up, I've just really enjoyed the addition of Paper Mario to the combat. Three characters is reasonable to keep track of, compared to it getting kinda messy when they added Baby Mario and Luigi in. He has such a different style that adds another level of strategy, since he has a set of paper clones that add multiattacks and act as damage buffers when he's hit. Plus, it adds the dynamic where all three characters are required to do his special attacks, but the flesh bros can still do their duo attacks if he's out. It's all such a fun twist on the combat, I can't believe I played the game in 2015 and then more or less forgot it existed till now.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
The first Tibet level in Tomb Raider 2 is WAY more fun than the preceding shipwreck levels. Bombing around on a snowmobile is good fun although the enemies that are also on them suck.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

goblin week posted:

Nintendo games are fundamentally for children and goons hate it if the game’s different from when they were twelve

My main problem with them is that on the one hand, I wish I could get something that built off of Thousand Year Door. Add a fast travel system, and any way to interact with the audience to influence them to do specific things and I'd be all set. But also the games that do get made I see the combat and it just looks like I'd have enough of it in three hours, let alone what, 27 or 40? However long people think those games are.

We've already got Captain Hygiene talking about Paper Jam, and Dream Team was basically the same as far as long attacks that do massive damage to you + minigames to do yours with tons of spots to fail as far as I know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zero_Grade
Mar 18, 2004

Darktider 🖤🌊

~Neck Angels~

Read After Burning posted:

I can never see "Ave Maria" anymore without remembering Dan Ryckert going "What's the name of that opera song? Eva Angelina?" :allears:
A quick search reveals that she is now a firefighter, which is quite the career change.

Randalor posted:

I can still see the boat and anything past the boat. Put on more Disco lasers.
:hmmyes: